Johnson: “It’s a tremendous honor to be named to the Pro Bowl.”

Posted by Tara Altman on December 29, 2010 – 4:13 pm

“It’s a tremendous honor to be named to the Pro Bowl. No.1, to be elected amongst all the players in the league, and No. 2, to be able to go represent the franchise and players here – myself and (Ndamukong) Suh. It’s a tremendous honor to be able to go and represent these guys. I’m looking forward to it, it’s a first time experience and hopefully I’ll have many more.

“I felt that my second year I had a good chance to get in there, but unfortunately we went 0-16 that year. Winning definitely helps in getting nominated. This year we haven’t won as much as we wanted to, but definitely in this last month of the season we’ve turned it up and got on the right track.

“Looking back on the game at Miami, that was great. Having a favorable December schedule as far as weather goes and being able to go to Florida and pull off two back-to-back road wins, making it three in a row for us, that’s a big accomplishment considering our recent history.

“I definitely think it would be a big momentum shift for us going into next year, considering how we finish this year. It definitely carries over and I think it will help a lot of guys on the team. I think it will be a bigger carry over for as far as guys remaining with the team, keeping that solid core in tact.

“I think it’s a testament to the character of the guys on the team to have the production that we’ve had. No. 1 because having three different quarterbacks you know you’re going to get three styles of play, but at the same time you figure that there would be a lot of ups and downs. There were some ups and downs, but for the most part we stayed consistent with what we wanted to do and Shaun and Drew and Matt, they were able to keep us in games and win games.

“Physically, at this point in the season, I’m beat up, but it’s going to happen. At this point in the season you’re expected to be a little bit beat up. I’m dealing with some things right now, but they’re all manageable and hopefully we can get healthy enough for Sunday to finish up the season strong at home. Being able stay here, playing at your home field, especially with the momentum we have right now, I believe it will be a big factor come Sunday.”

Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 23 Comments »

23 Responses to “Johnson: “It’s a tremendous honor to be named to the Pro Bowl.””

1. By Ralph on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Good Job Calvin, I know it’s a tremendous honor for you to be in the Pro Bowl as a starter, I know you will catch a lot of passes and get touchdowns for the NFC. Suh will also get sacks for the defense in the pro bowl as well

2. By blakhornets football on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

great job calvin, you were electric this year my friend, hey join my fantasy league, we gather here during the offseason, ,,http://blakhornets.proboards.com/

3. By Detroit is the best on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Good job Calvin Johnson and Suh you guyz deserved it and next year we are ganna make the playoffs and go to the superbowl and win :) and Calvin you going to have like 30 tds

4. By Old Boy on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Long over due

5. By Johnny Bugeja on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Congratulation, well deserved. You have had a great year and will do a great job in the Pro Bowl! This team is heading in the right direction and as always I am proud to be a LIONS FAN! I wish you and Shu the best of luck in the Pro Bowl, I know the both of you will make us proud. Looking forward to the game and next years season. Finish strong Beat the Vikings!

JB

6. By Lion Mike on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

I’m really happy for this guy. He deserves to be in the probowl. He got the shaft 2 years ago, so it was a long time coming. Now, I’m hopeful that he keeps working hard and realizes that he could be one of the first people to be on a team that was 0-16 and make a superbowl run. This team is being built the right way and with the young talent on the team, they will be a force that nobody wants to mess with in the near future. Very happy for him and the others that are actually changing the culture in Detroit!

7. By Gus on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Well deserved! Your a freak Megatron!

8. By J.T. on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Calvin, you deserve everything good that happens to you and in my opinion, you are the best WR in the NFL. you never give up even through all the losses and you remain such a humble hard working man. If we had 53 Calvin Johnsons, we would win superbowls. Enjoy Hawaii, man.

9. By J.T. on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

And Suh may be the best Lion D-lineman ever

10. By Bill Mi on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Well earned…Lions are the new Jeffersons..well were moving on up..thanks Calvin.

11. By James C on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Mr Johnson, you are an inspiration as well as a gentleman. You speak candidly in regards to the frustration that ALL atheletes encounter from losing. However, you soldier on without becoming a detriment to the team dynamic. Atheletic ability aside, your integrity and leadership are what I believe make you indespensible to the organization.
    I proudly wear a Detroit Lions jersey with the #81 on it. Best of luck to you my friend

12. By Ed on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Great job Calvin

I am sure there will be more apperarances for you in the future. I hope you guys get a Sunday or Monday night game next year to show a national audience that you guys are a legit playoff team…

Positive attitude and positive results…. Fans can’t ask for much more…

13. By Katie on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Calvin Johnson AKA Megatron sure deserves recognition from pro bowl voters

14. By Linda on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Johnson and Suh are the epitome of outstanding athetes and leadership. You both set a fine example for the youth in America. This honor was well deserved. Best of luck to you in Hawaii and next year. We love watching the Lions and we know you’re heading upwards.

15. By John Helpap on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

I have been a Lions fans since the late 40’s and always will be It has been a struggle but I have the faith. Congratulations to both of you for your pro bowl selection and play well. I look forward to the Lions bringing back the glory days of the Bobby Layne days!

16. By Diane Spleet on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Calvin Johnson you are my hero! I;m amazed at the way you can go up in the air and make those catches. You will go down being the greates receiver ever. I wear you jersey pround. Have the time of your life in the Pro Bowl. You’ve earned it.

17. By Drand on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

Great job CJ! You proved you can be a physical WR as well. Congrats!

18. By Justin81 on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

GREAT job this season CJ!!! you’ve made Detroit proud congrats on the pro bowl!! BEST wide out in the game!!

19. By Duffie-DC on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

Good work Calvin…..2011 is going to be even better…..plus post season play…

20. By Lunee on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

I’ve always been proud to be a Lions Fan, but after this season the meter is off the charts. This new formula from our front office, and coaches have a great direction and it’s paying off. Thanks guys for being strong and becoming what will soon be a feared team league wide. Thanks for playing hurt when us average folks, but big time fans cheared you on. Happy New years and Congradulation to all of you players, and all of us fans. Suh and Johnson are the first in a while of many to come. P.S. Nate’s name should be “Beastie”

21. By Mike Bushta on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

way to go Lions! you guys did a great job out there! LIONS FOREVER!!!!!!

22. By Jim MacPherson on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

Calvin Johnson and Ndamukong Suh are great examples of how to be a tremendous Detroit Lion Team member.
    Great work, work harder. Refuse to lose.
    Great Teams Overcome!
    Overcome!!
    Overcome everything!
    Go Lions!
    You got the spirit
    Now Drive your destiny!
    Let it be contagious!
    No one stops us next year!
    Way To go Lads!
    Good luck next year.

23. By bigrae1 on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

Keep pushing Cal. The Lions can be the best next season. You and Suh are the best leaders on and off the field and will be a force in Hawaii. Go Lions, always and forever a fan.