Lions will Prepare for Two QBs

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on December 29, 2010 – 4:07 pm

Whether the Lions will be the final opponent of quarterback Brett Favre’s career remains to be seen.

Favre, whose most recent injury was a concussion, is questionable for this week’s regular season finale at Ford Field. If Favre is unable to start, rookie Joe Webb, who won in his first-ever NFL start Tuesday night, should go for the Vikings.

Head Coach Jim Schwartz confirmed following Wednesday’s practice that the Lions will “have to prepare for both.”

He also confirmed that quarterback Shaun Hill will be the starter for Detroit.

“We expect him to play well and lead us to a win,” said Schwartz.

Considering the Vikings’ unexpected record and the adverse conditions in which they have had to play their last three games (at Ford Field and TCF Stadium following a Metrodome roof collapse and in frigid weather Tuesday night), speculators believed Minnesota would “pack it in,” so to speak.

But after their win on Tuesday, it is clear the Vikings are doing nothing of the sort.

Schwartz: “I think that you saw a team that was predicted earlier in the year to be a Super Bowl contender and you saw them come out and play that way – even with a third-string quarterback. Webb made plays with his feet and made plays with his arm. I thought their defense played very, very well. They’ve had a couple injuries; they’ve lost (Steve) Hutchinson; they lost one of their corners, Cedric Griffin; then obviously the quarterback situation.

“A lot of those are guys that led them to that great season last year. You saw those guys come out and take one of the best teams in the NFC in adverse conditions on the road and came out and played the way everybody expected them to play this year.”

Schwartz acknowledges the talent level the Lions will be up against this weekend when they try to close the season with their fourth-consecutive victory.

Schwartz: “We almost put ourselves in a position of being faced with a must-win. Obviously it’s not a must-win for anything other than that particular week and our pride and our record, but there’s a lot of things that we have to play for. I think sometimes you need to manufacture those things, but any win that we have, we gain from. There’s an experience that comes from that.”

12 Responses to “Lions will Prepare for Two QBs”

1. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

I was shocked at this Webb guy, drafted as a wide receiver and never having played pro ball at the QB position. Lord, do we have another Vick to contend with and then there is Cal coming up too. The QB slot is changing with big fast quarterbacks. If Fav-re starts he won’t make it into the third quarter. I don’t see why they won’t start Webb. This is going to be a though game. Unfortunately, will be in Texas so won’t see it but will be there in my heart and will keep in touch with my son by cell so will know what is happening.

2. By Old Boy on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Win out

3. By Jonas Turner on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Go Lions!!! I am confident that our defense can rush him and fluster this kid. Let’s finish strong!!!

4. By D. Cook on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

The reason they will start Farve if they can is the amount of money they are paying this guy to sit on his rear end. When the NFL fined Farve the 50K today it was mentioned that Farve makes about 10K every minute of the game. That Webb was impressive and I sort of figured that the Vikings would of just folded as they really had nothing to play for. Coach was fired, third string quarterback and tons of injuries and a team on the way down just looking to get out of the season. I was really thinking that the Lions might just roll right over Minnesota on Sunday but now I’m not so sure. I would rather see Farve start against us though because you know he’s old and tired and he’ll throw one or two picks. Minnesota on the way down and Detroit on the way up…sounds good to me.

5. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

watch the corners

6. By Vinkinghater9 on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

1) Stop Peterson
    2) Contain Webb to the pocket
    3) Force Webb to beat you with his arm alone

Prediction:Peterson gets less than 80 yards rushing and Webb throws at least 3 picks to our defense.Minne will attack with alot of blitzs and Hill will make them pay with Pettigrew and Scheffler!

Minne is and always has been a very cocky team.The mind set in Minne is “same ole Lions”

7. By Michael Mooney on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Dear Coach and Mr. Mayhew

Any chance you can take a dominant fullback in next years draft like Owen Marecic of Stanford? what a great asset to the running game…

MJM

8. By Dwayne Canada on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

With our two Pro Bowlers and our sold out crowdz, Minnisota, Brett or Webb is Sunday morning am at the sports bar, the lone Lions fan in Sacramento. I also miss a lot of Church during this time, I hope God will forgive me. lately God has been on my Team side. God Bless !!!! the Lions.

9. By robert on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

why are we starting hill is stanton still injured ? stanton is amuch more mobil quarterback and is a lot smarter and does not get sacked as often as hill . but i,am rooting for you all the way .go lions

10. By Dwayne Canada on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Still i havn’t forgot the game that was taken from us. the first game against Bears. We could be at six wins now. The world knows and that Bears fan house I was at watching that game , he knows. Brett we need to run you out the NFL, I hope you are playing. Remember this name Suh, he will be chasing you.

11. By PJ on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

I’m confident they can win this game. On a different subject, this is the first year in a long time that I’m not really looking forward to seeing which “Hot” Rookie or free agent they pick up this off-season. Does anyone else feel the same?

12. By U5 on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Stanton could play but considering he is done in Detroit after tomorrow, rest assured the last thing Mayhew and company wants is to have the guy that is leaving look better than with whom they will be left…Hill and Stafford.
    They still need the win so if Hill is ineffective, Stanton will be brought in…it will be made to look like Hill has another boo boo. That way if they lose, they can blame the entire loss on Drew as the result of one play.
    Good luck Mr. Stanton…as a devout Lions fan, the least we can do is apologize for putting your career obn hold for 4 years and wish you the best going forward. For all you have done for the community in spite of the way you have been treated by management considering that you show up every day with the best attitude on the team…my sincere apologies!