Johnson: ‘We finished out strong.’

Posted by Tara Altman on January 3, 2011 – 3:34 pm

“We finished out strong. Finished this last month, so it’s very gratifying to be going into the offseason on a four game win streak. It definitely gives us something to look forward to next year.

“Me personally, as far as the CBA goes, a little more time off would not hurt (laughing), but as far as that goes I’m definitely interested to see what’s done in the interest of the players. I know this is a business and we don’t want to be forgotten about in the process of them making all of these deals, that’s the main thing.

“I’m definitely looking forward to the Pro Bowl and being down there, hanging out with those guys and just being in Hawaii. From what I’ve heard from players that have been there, some guys here that have been there, they say just to have a good time with it and enjoy the whole process. Of course I’m going to be competitive, but I’m just going to enjoy my time there.

“I’m just going to relax until right after the Super Bowl and then that’s when I really kick in and start working out with my trainer and stuff like that and get back down to business.”

Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 50 Comments »

50 Responses to “Johnson: ‘We finished out strong.’”

1. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

sounds like he is coming back. Yeah!

2. By wyatt on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Good luck calvin. Tried to make it to the last game but couldn’t afford it. Hope to get season tickets for next year.

3. By chris seiter on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Good luck in the Pro Bowl, have fun…same goes to Suh!

4. By Ian on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

If we take a step back next year, I’ll be the first to wish Calvin Johnson good luck in the future. But if we show improvement, I think he’d be smart to come back. He’ll never find fans that love him like we do.

5. By Dez on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Calvin . Your work has always been stellar, but NOW it’s being praised by all those fans and coaches and the other people who voted you into this years ProBowl. Do me a favor and go fishing while you’re over there, I’ve always wanted to check out that fishery but could never afford it, so if you could give me a little report when you get a chance, . . . .

Thanks, DLD

6. By Harrison on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Calvin, you’re the backbone of the team and the pride of Detroit. I cannot believe ou havent been voted a starter till now. You have a long and prosperous career ahead of you, you’re incredibly bright, and an all around great person, please stay in Detroit.

7. By Rick on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Calvin for the way you all played all season and didn’t give up, you have given all us fans a reason for hope for next season.

8. By Chris on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Way to finish strong fellas! Can’t wait to see how next year plays out. You guys really showed what kind of character you have and that Detoit does have some depth on the roster. All the guys who came in to replace injured starters really stepped up and proved themselves as NFL caliber players. I Love The Detroit Lions!!! Cangrat Calvin and Mdamukong!! You deserve it.

9. By True Lions Fan on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

I hope you stay a Lion Calvin! Don’t let the lack of winning over the years detour you from returning. I have feared all year that you will not return, and it would be completly understandable if you left. But it would be heartbreaking to us fans to see you go. Good luck and congrats to you and Ndamukong in the ProBowl. You deserve it!

10. By Sheryl on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

All you guys did a terrific job this last month. Especially you and Suh, the running backs. What a different team altogether. It was exciting. I can hardly wait till next season to begin!

11. By Daniel B. on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Took my son to the game on Sunday. Bummed that you didn’t play but so loved way it felt to walk into the stadium expecting a victory. I don’t know anything about a culture change but I do know that winning has a way of making everything better. The Lions have a chance to really make some noise next year. Soak up what you can from the other Pro-Bowlers – they are going to fear playing against you and the Lions next season. Double digit wins next year and beyond.

12. By Jordan on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

good job guys can’t wait till next year keep bobby as a starter that on of your men gunther

13. By Nick on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

You better not leave Megatron! Business or not, there is loyalty behind you in Detroit. That’s why you are going to Hawaii. That’s why the stands are filled. That’s why you’ve become a D-Town Hero! You follow a lot of great receivers in Moore, Perriman, Morton, etc. Get that boy Stafford to man up and you’ll have a great team and won’t need/want to leave. Hill and Stanton did a good job, but your offense is stellar with Stafford out there. I’m sure you’ll want to be there when the Lions win the Superbowl for the first time in history, and probably be the MVP on that podium saying, “We had a dream!” LOL! Be a leader. Lead the believers. STAY IN DETROIT AND DON’T LEAVE IN YOUR PRIME LIKE BARRY!

14. By Patrick on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Great job guys! I have not missed a televised Lions game since the early 80′s. No, not even 1. I have seen the worst and the best the Lions could do in that time. I would like to say that I see sparks that cause me to believe that the best is returning to Detroit. Great Memories, thanks.

15. By AJ on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

ALL I KNOW IS IF ANYBODY HAS A REASON TO BE A LOUD MOUTH (T.O/ OCHO), THROWIN PUNCHES(ANDRE JOHNSON) BIG TIME SHOT CALLLER ITS CALVIN JOHNSON AS MUCH AS YOU HAVE PUT UP WITH THIS FRANCHISE, I HAVE ALL THE RESPECT IN THE WORLD FOR THIS MAN QUIETLY COMING TO WORK DAY AFTER DAY AND MAKING A GREAT EFFORT TO MAKE MY LIONS THAT MUCH CLOSER TO A CONTENDER. I JUST HOPE WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS NEXT YEAR OR IM GONNA SCREAM. I WOULDNT BLAME CALVIN FOR LEAVIN IF WE DONT GET IN THERE NEXT YEAR. I JUST THANK YOU FOR BEING ABOUT WHAT A PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL PLAYER SHOULD BE, YOUVE MADE US PROUD. PRO BOWL WAS LONG OVER DUE. YOU DA MAN.

16. By lions on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Over the offseason we need to get albert haynesworth and prince from nebraska.

17. By Don on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Great Job this Past Four Games and Great Job all year working together to get it Right!
    I was a very Proud Detroiter this Last couple of Weeks about our Football TEAM. I Love this Football TEAM Also!
    You are Getting it Together, and that is a Lot Better and a Lot more fun!
    For ALL of us! (:
    I really am Very proud of this TEAM and this City Also. There has trully been a lot of change when it comes to this TEAM and the Fans and Even the Media.
    It is Very good to hear Good things about this TEAM instead of all the Negativity that we usually have.
    And I am sure that there are still some Skeptics, Howver You are doing what it takes to put a stop to that!
    I trully have VERY High Hopes for this TEAM next year, Lord Willing? And People willing. I hope that if there is a strike that it Does’nt take very long to get it over with and get to playing football.
    Thank You, LIONS, for a Better Season! It is a heck of a Lot more fun Winning than the Latter.
    And I’m sure that most everyone Feels the Same way when it comes to all of the True LIONS Fans across this Country. And it is that I and WE are Ready for a LOT more of this Winning Stuff Again Next year!
    2010 to 2011 LIONS!

18. By Ed on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for being a Lion Calvin. Enjoy the rest and relaxation. You deserve it.

19. By lionfanfor34yrs on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

Hey GREAT ending guys. Calvin you are difinitely a beast on offense. Hope you stay too. With all the weapons that schwartz and mayhew has bought into the organization and hopefully more to come for next, it’s going to be hard not to predict playoffs next season. (if STAFFORD can stay healthy.) Couple more free-agency pick-ups and a nice draft like, Prince or Von Miller, and you guys are going to be real happy of the outcome. Thanks for the enjoyment of watching your games this season, which i havent been able to say that for almost ten years, better things are to come. Just be patient and see.

20. By lionfanfor34yrs on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

ohh and one more thing that I must say—– Your record should be 7-9 because that was a TD catch in Chicago.

21. By steve w. on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

hello my lions fiends… I was at 3 of the home games this year and i loved everything i saw from our lions…. cept the 10 penalties a game at the beginning of the year but over all this is a changed team very competitive and at the end they put it all together for 4 in a row i myself am buying season pass tickets for 2011 gnna be a good ride next year i am very much looking foward to watching this team make the playoffs… thats right PLAYOFFS WOOT!! GO LIONS!!

22. By ddfreese on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

Well, I notice that the word “process” certainly has become a part of Calvin’s vocabulary. Wonder why? Great year — and still a great catch in the first Chicago game, no matter what the league subsequently said about the process. Calvin completed it it, hands down.

23. By Old Boy on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

Great year, loved watching you guys when I could. Lots of improvement the last couple years, really excited not just for the fall but FA and the draft as well. Glad you made it into the PB alongside Suh as you had gotten snubbed not too long ago from going to Hawaii. The fans love you, hope you stay. Congratulations are well deserved and if you go elsewhere no one will blame you, though you will be greatly missed.

24. By Steve K on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

Great finish Calvin & all the team . Enjoy Hawaii & rest up after , you deserve it . So many positives at the seasons end , I’m giddy for next season . As for the CBA , kay sera sera . :)

25. By MEGATRON FAN on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

Extremely happy for the Lions and especially for Calvin! The way they are playing now, I wish we had 5 or 6 more weeks of the season left. I know that isn’t reasonable for players, but I am just stoked to watch them. It’s been really nice to listen to all the other fans talk in the blog boards about how bad the Lions are and how easy of a win it will be, only to see them make excuses of why they lost and the next week see them picking the Leo’s to beat whoever they are playing. It’s been a great turnaround. For the first time in 10+years, I’m looking forward to the draft, not because it is our superbowl, but because it means we are closer to the 2011 season! LIONS!

26. By Ralph on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

You did a great job in the season, Calvin. I’m really glad that hopefully you will stay a Lion and I am looking forward to see you in the Pro Bowl and I’m excited about next year

27. By bookem-danno1958 on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Mr. Johnson, I pray you decide to stay in Detroit and stay a Lion. Not only does the Team need you more than just a player, they need your leadership!, But this state needs a hero on that FIELD NEEDS YOU SIR! IT HAS BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE BARRY SANDERS WAS HERE PLAYING FOR THE DETROIT LIONS! AND IF YOU LOOK AT THE HISTORY OF THE TEAM, THE CITY OF DETROIT AND THE ECONOMY OF THE STATE OF MICHIGAN, WE WERE ON TOP THEN!!

We need you Mr. Johnson. When you catch a ball and run down the sidelines, cut to the center of the field and cut back and score, the state of Michigan scores also. You may not think so, but people are happy when you make this team win, they spend money, crime goes down, times change when you help the Lions win sir!! Trust me, next season, if the contract for the players union signs, try game one, see how this state reacts after you score twice and the Lions win the first game in a blow-out!! See how the economy reacts sir!

28. By Don on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

I Have to Comment on some of the things that Roger Goodell had to say.
    I know that he thinks that playing the Pro Bowl before the Superbowl is a GOOD Thing. I Do NOT!
    The Best Men in the League are sent to the Pro Bowl. That Means that either some of the best men arent going to show up for the Pro Bowl or that They wont want to Play up to thier Potential. Saving thierselves for the Superbowl.
    In either Case it would be understandable.
    The Pro Bowl would be a much better game if it were played the way that it was Played Before. After the Superbowl!
    I Have to agree with the Changing of the 16 Game Season to an 18 Game season. The Players are Allready playing the Games anyway, and, Sometimes the Teams Lose Good Players in these pre Season games due to injury.
    Sometimes Losing Top Quality Players before the Season even gets Started.
    I Relize that these Games would Cost the Fans More money to see because they will be season games and not PRE games.
    However, I believe that It would be better to count for Something.
    It has Drove Me Mad to see a Top Player Taken out for the Season for Nothing other than a Practice Game.
    I also Know that the Players don’t want to see a Pay Cut in any way.
    However Until the economy Gets Better for a LOT of United States, States and cities, It would be nice to have More Games and Drop the prices for those Games in Order for us fans to get More of an oppertunity to see the Games that are being played.
    That way You may be able to keep a VERY good Pay Scale and Still provide Quality Football for the Fans that you all Love SO much.(:
    I know that it is Asking a lot to ask for More regular season games EVEN though you are playing them anyway’s?
    And for the Fans that would ask you to Maybe take a Paycut, We would ALL Like to See you Play. And in Detroit I know first hand that Some people went to see the Games and it was Hard on thier Wallet. But because of the Love for the TEAM and the GAME They Took thier Money and Spent it to watch you Play.
    And I DO have to say that it was money well Spent with the Way that OUR LIONS Played this year.
    This TEAM Played some Awesome Football this year, Even though this TEAM came up short a bit more than the Players or the Fans wanted too, It was Still some awesome Football to see!
    This TEAM is growing and it is Great to See that, Great to see a change in attitude and desire to Win! And it showed up in your play in most every game.
    The Best Part for sure though is the Fact that you have Started to SEE that you Can score One more than your Oponant and take the game!

29. By lionsroar on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Hey Don, get a clue…no one is going to read a blog that long!

30. By lionsroar on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Sheryl,

I bet you like watching football!

31. By Pat Broml;ey on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Congrats Calvin and the rest of the team for a strong finish! I think the Lions have started to assemble a team that will be in the running for playoffs and beyond for several years to come. Calvin I hope you have seen enough to trust that the team is heading in the right direction and you plan to be a big part of that success. Enjoy the Pro Bowl !you will be Hawaii bound for many years to come.

32. By furiousstylz32 on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Hey Calvin Congrats man your a great player with a humble attitude. I wish you the best and much success to you in the future…… As a lions fan man who has endured many losing seasons, am looking forward to the future of my favorite squad…….As a fan can y’all adopt the slogan ” CAN YOU FEEL IT” in 2011………I know I can…………………….Let’s GOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

33. By Rob T on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Calvin, watching you play this season really inspired me to get faith back in the Lions. Hopefully with Matt healthy next season you guys will do some damage and possibly make the playoffs. Well thats at least what my expectations are. Calvin, YOU are my Lion and it would be a shame to see you depart when your contract expires. Just remember you have millions of fans here in detroit who admire you and really love you. Doing the thing you love isn’t always about the money. I was able to go to the final game of the season with my hopes set high to see my favorite player in action, but the injury caused you to miss the game. The game was still amazing and I look forward to next season and hopefully getting tickets to a couple games! ROAR RESTORED!!!

34. By cronk95 on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Good job on the last for games…I have a feeling that had we won that Chicago game this year would have ended in the playoffs. Thank God you’re not a free agent until 2013 cause i think next year will be the year.

35. By Dan on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Calvin – I hope that you might read this and also send it to the rest of the TEAM!

First, what a way to finish the season – IT WAS AWESOME! Congrats to the entire Lions team & coaching staff for putting it all together. It was a total team effort and everybody is to be commended. I can’t say enough about Kyle VandenBosch and the intensity he has brought to this team – what an amazing guy! Cory Williams, Cliff Avril, Turk McBride, John Wendling, Louis Delmas,Nathan Vasher, Drew Stanton, Shawn Hill, the offensive line, Nate Burleson, of course YOU & Suh, and a host of others. You all made this team great and gave us something to cheer about.

Nothing but good things ahead for this team You make us all proud to be Lions fans. Thanks so much!!!

36. By Lee on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Mr. MEGATRON, I just want to say thank you for being a class act, and CONGRATS!! on the pro-bowl. That is WAY over due. You have abosultely earned it. I see great things in your future!

37. By shawn on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

thanks calvin for your hard work. PLEASE tell me your goin to stay with the lions we need leadership, and your threat on the field from your #1 FAN

38. By paul b. on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Yes what dan said !! I agree !!! Great job All !!! Can’t wait until next year and see. THANK YOU ALL if ya !!!

39. By 1slyguy on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

I may have expected too much, but the writing was on the wall for you guys to finish by winning the final six games and end up 8 – 8.
    Somehow it didn’t work out that way, but four straight is no easy accomplishment either all things considered.
    Enjoy yourself in Hawaii and look forward to an even better year in 2011. We are counting on you coming back to finish what you’ve started.
    Go Calvin.

40. By Julie on Jan 8, 2011 | Reply

Well said Dan!!! I totally agree too. Great job lions! SOMETHING TO CHEER ABOUT!!! LOVE IT AND LOVE THE LIONS!!!

41. By Chris on Jan 12, 2011 | Reply

I thought Calvin still had 2 years left on his 6 year contract however we need to extend it another 6 years.

42. By Lee on Jan 12, 2011 | Reply

STAFFORD TO JOHNSON!!!!!!!! You know that has a great ring to it. I have a strong feeling we will be hearing that a lot next year. You guys have a real chance of building something great. The next great QB/Reciever team to go down in the books. The lions need you, and the die hard fans who have stayed with their team needs you here too. Greatness is on the horizon, And his name is MEGATRON!

43. By Douglas Prince on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply

During an arguement defending my Beloved Lions. I realized 5 Plays is all the difference this season . First being the TD called back in Bears game week one. Green bay Field goal week 4. Week 9 two last moment field goals from jets. Week 10 buffalo last min field goal. week 13 last min TD bears. If we close these games we sweep green bay and bears. We have week one by in playoffs. 11 – 5 Lions would have second best record in NFC and are cinderella season of 2010.

44. By Derrick on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Congrats on pro bowl when u lose u learn a lot about the game n I believe u guys will make it to the playoffs next n shock the nfl n win the superbowl im getting tired of people talking about the lions they cant do this or that when yall win c how many people jump on the lions I believe u r the greatest lion WR ever n best WR in the lg calvin!!!!!!

45. By DB616 on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Just wanted to thank you for all you’ve done for the Lions and the city of Detroit in general. I have an 8 year old Son who loves football and has the right attitude and work ethic to make it if he continues to want it. You are one of the few players in the NFL that I let him idolize. The man you are, speaks volumes of the man your Father is. If I can do half as good a job raising my Son as your Father has done with you, I will feel like I have won in life.

46. By Tom on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Calvin you should be VERY proud of the PERSON that you are! You also should be very proud of the Football player that you are! I really hope with ALL MY HEART that the Lions keep you no matter what the cost unlike the way the Barry Sanders situation turned out! Please think long and hard before making a decision to leave as WE BELIEVE THE LIONS FINALLY ARE FOR REAL and ALL of you are the reason for this!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially you for being the fierce Leader and competitor setting the bar for everyone! I saw you at the Redskins game your rookie year as you were working out and Drew was playing catch with T.J. Duckett and could tell you were SPECIAL! Keep it up and RESTORE THE ROAR!!! Got my vote the past 3 years for the Pro Bowl!!!

47. By Mike on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Hey Great year for you Calvin, you are a fricken monster out there, no DB can match up with you,you are my fav player in the leauge and i couldnt imagine you wearing anything but 81 for the honolulu blue and silver.WE had one lion great(barry sanders) leave us in a state of panic and depression lol,pls dont make us lions fans relive that feeling again, i know its a business and the main goal is to win a superbowl, but like someone said in a earlier post you wont have fans like us anywhere else. LIONS PRIDE forever…

48. By Mike on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

PLS dont be a Lebron James and take your talents elsewhere, Stay here and Finish what you have started. I know its painful and its going to take time, but the time is upon you and us, can you smell the playoffs or a winning season. Ur the man

49. By Michael on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

MEGATRON in’11
    Go Lions – let’s do this. Honolulu Blue forever.

50. By MotLee92 on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

LIONS FOREVER!!!!! MEGATRON RULES ALL!!