Suh Nominated for Pepsi’s NFL Rookie of the Year Award

Posted by Tara Altman on January 7, 2011 – 12:59 pm

The National Football League announced that DT Ndamukong Suh has been named one of the five finalists for the 2010 Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year award.

Suh finished the season with 10.0 sacks, leading all Lions, all NFL rookies and defensive tackles, and recorded 66 tackles, three pass defenses, a forced fumble, an interception and a fumble recovery returned for a touchdown.

Suh became the second rookie defensive tackle in NFL history to record 10.0 sacks. He also was the only rookie in the NFL to record a sack, an interception and a fumble return for a touchdown this season.  He was selected to the 2011 NFC Pro Bowl team as a starter, but will not play, having to undergo shoulder surgery.

Suh, was nominated for four Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week awards, winning once, throughout the season.

Fans can vote for one of these five players on www.nfl.com/rookies through 9:00 PM EST on Tuesday, February 1 to determine the 2010 PEPSI NFL ROOKIE OF THE YEAR.

The winner will be presented the 2010 Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year award during a press conference in North Texas, the site of Super Bowl XLV, on Thursday, February 3.

The other four finalists include: Rams’ QB Sam Bradford, Browns’ CB Joe Haden, Patriots’ CB Devin McCourty and Buccaneers’ WR Mike Williams.

57 Responses to “Suh Nominated for Pepsi’s NFL Rookie of the Year Award”

1. By detroit on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

suh you’re the best add to this team since barry, thanks for being such a dominant player and giving you’re all.

2. By Robin on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

The big SUH is tops in my book

3. By Old Boy on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

Better get Rookie of The Year.

4. By jimbo on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

I agree, I remember lot of people I talked with pre-draft sayin oh you can’t take DT there blah blah. How could you not with his obvious talent even before this season? Was really hoping for a lot from Stafford this year, but we all know how that has worked out (still got hope thought!!). But Suh was definitely a shining star this year (though a lot of guys made plays too and stepped up) that gave us Lions fans something to cheer about. Not to mention a real optimistic future outlook! Keep drafting well fellas, got my vote of confidence for what its worth!!! Funny how many old timers I know who are suddenly making their way back to the bandwagon!!! hahaha

5. By joe on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

for all you old sob’s, suh reminds me of merlin olsen, in the way he carry’s himself off the field. he’s well mannered, polite, intelligent’ and well spoken. on the field theres no telling just how good a player this kid will be, with him the sky is the limit. I can’t wait till next season!

6. By TJ on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

SUH is just the guy that can bring a SUH-per bowl champ to Detroit, us fans have been waiting a long time.. it was nice to not be the punching bag of the NFL for a change… next years goal: PLAYOFFS!!!
    and i would like to also thank Jim Shcwartz and the rest of the lions coaches for the great job they have been doing the last 2 seasons.. keep up the great work guys

7. By Dtown on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

Vote people! Suh is a force to be reckoned with, and how great would it be to get a ROY award for a Lion?

To the Author: Sam, not Same

8. By Frank Suchara on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

I agree wth the comparison of impact to barry. Going into 2011, in order to take the franchise to the next level, hold everyone accountable, to work as hard as humanly, physically, and mentally possible!

“Don’t take NO for an answer!” We all want to watch the LIONS play in LATE Jan or early Feb

GO FOR IT!
    PS – Don’t let anyone hold out going into training camp

9. By Tony B on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

I’m a fan until the head gets in the way..Great effort..keep up the good work and DO NOT believe everything they say..stay humble.

10. By BEN B. on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

GO SUH, I AGREE WITH detroit ! Now we need another BARRY ! Go Lions 2011. BEN B. Florida

11. By Paul on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

He’s skipping his rookie Pro Bowl to have shoulder surgery so he can be ready to give his all to his team. He stated as much. He’s the man.

12. By Ron T. on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

SWEET SUH !!!, ..An old man that may have seen his last Lion’s game can say that. Your play on the field has been nothing but fantistic. However, your personal charater both on and off the field has been a shining star that makes us proud to be DETROIT LION fans. Thank You and I hope to see you next year
    Ron T. Oldmichigander.

13. By Nikon Doug on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

We are finally moving forward! Keep the penalties down and keep mixing up the pass and run offense, Stafford needs to toughn up and play like Hill and we might win 10 games next year!Funny how they never give Lions credit for playing some of our best football with 2nd and 3rd string quarter backs, No disrespect to Hill and stafford they deserve to win. Keep up the improvement! Its finally great to look forward to Sunday! Once a lions fan ALWAYS a Lions fan! I just want to beat Chicagos crybaby quarterback I don’t even want to say hys name!

14. By stanley blakely on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

I believe that Suh should win hands down for his work on the field, he has been a real beast! The scary part is, he’s gonna get better! the next ten to 12yrs. is not gonna be a good time to be a Q.B. unless, of course, you play for the lions. L.O.L !!!!

15. By Matthew Capitano on Jan 8, 2011 | Reply

Go Lions! Good luck in 2011!!

16. By jerry on Jan 8, 2011 | Reply

I want to thank the whole defense for helping suh to get to the pro bowl and for hepling him to be thr great player that he is going to be come

17. By Laz (Montreal) on Jan 8, 2011 | Reply

Finally something to be happy about if you’re a Detroit Lions fan. Suh should win hands down. He was a beast and instiled fear in the opposing QB’s. A lot of Lions fan have been in hidding ever since Barry left, Suh is making us all proud.

18. By Jim Rondeau on Jan 8, 2011 | Reply

The Pro Bowl needs Suh he is one of the best Go Lions

19. By Jim Rondeau on Jan 8, 2011 | Reply

Suh has done an amazing job throughout the season, and i really think he will be a great DT all his NFL career

20. By Craig on Jan 8, 2011 | Reply

SUUUUUUUUH!!! or should I say young Reggie White…..Stay humble thpough brutha. That is your best quality! Love you man!

21. By Craig on Jan 8, 2011 | Reply

For your sake, I wished Favre WAS playing in that game…You would’ve crushed the record! Webb’s quick ass got by ya a few times. Need to lobby for Akumara or Crick which I’m sure you are, but Patrick Peterson would almost complete the D! Just sayin!

22. By Bob O. on Jan 8, 2011 | Reply

GO sUH!!!!!!!!! sUH SHOULD SOOOOO BE THE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR WITH HIS 9 SACKS WHO VOTES SUH?!!!!!!! nOW ALL WE NEED IS BARRY SANDERS JR.!!!! WHOS WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. By Alan Gordon on Jan 8, 2011 | Reply

Go for it. Great for Suh. Puts a bright spot on this past last place season

24. By amie on Jan 8, 2011 | Reply

SUH!! I agree with Craig too, stay humble….. Glad you are a Lion..Please stay a Lion too, don’t go threatening to leave like others :) …You got this award hands down. Always cheering for my Lions!!!

25. By amie on Jan 8, 2011 | Reply

All the Lions Players are great….But we cant be saying anyone is the next Barry (respect). Suh is awesome, but all the others together(even when complaining..Johnson :) ) make the Lions the team to TRY and beat next year !

26. By Dale on Jan 8, 2011 | Reply

dude you are a beast awsome year

27. By Cam on Jan 9, 2011 | Reply

Can’t blame Calvin… Best receiver in the game in my opinion, and can’t win a game? Had at least one pro bowl taken away because we were 0-16! We keep this up, I don’t see him going anywhere. Too many weapons around him now.

But anyways… Suh = Beast Mode! haha

28. By jr on Jan 9, 2011 | Reply

From what I have seen, both on and off the field, Suh should win hands down. Suh, God has blessed you with a lot of talent. Stay humble and you will go far.

29. By Tone B on Jan 9, 2011 | Reply

Suhhhhhh, it was a pleasure as well as an experience watching you live up to expectations. I am a lone fan in Camden NJ and have been ridicule over the years. Just knowing that the front line in solid and all we have to do is solidify the D-backs and we are well on our way. Thanks for wanting to be a Lion and more important thanks for playing with such passion.

30. By Jeremy H. Houston TX on Jan 9, 2011 | Reply

I believe Suh should win, I also believe the Lions will be a team to fear next year and for years to come. If we can keep Stafford healthy and shore up the O-line putting points on the board wont be a problem.. The defense is going to get better, Schwartz will make sure of that.. much love D..

31. By JerMz on Jan 9, 2011 | Reply

LIONS fan in New England. Looking forward to ’11 season (if there is one?) AWESOME end to the season!!!!! Definately gonna be a force to be reckoned with, home AND away!!! GO LIONS!!!!!

32. By KoryK on Jan 9, 2011 | Reply

a raiders pro bowl caliber CB is a free agent now who knows why lol so it time to get next years defensive stand out go knock on the mans door before somone else does.

33. By Tim on Jan 9, 2011 | Reply

Amie CJ doesn’t complain he just speaks the truth. He has been great and just wants to win, he put a little fire in the LIONS and they started winning. He is the best WR on the team since H.Moore. Love that guy and he never complains about how many balls he gets. SUH is amazing nothing but a huge upside for him.

34. By Ralpheal Jackson on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

Lets Go Suhhhh!!!

35. By Lisa on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

As a Lions fan all my life, I have to defend myself often for liking the Lions. NOT ANYMORE! There is a new respect from many friends and co-workers who used to poke fun at my team – I’ve said for years that they will get better and when they are winning you can’t call me a bandwagon fan. Watch now-all the “new” Lion fans are coming out of the woodwork. My 11 year old is also a fan and Loves Suh! It’s not just his athleticism – it’s his work ethic, respect for the team and the fans, and his humbleness. I thought the whole team had a new attitude this year. Proud to be a LIONS FAN – can’t wait til next year!!!!

36. By Don on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

I was wondering about Julian Peterson and weather or not he is still Part of this TEAM or not?
    And I was also wondering Why Willie Young did’nt get More Playing time this year? willie is a Very big dude that Can Move and I was Just Wondering why we did’nt get him more Playing time And Getting him Ready For the Future?
    And Would there be any Chance of Trying Willie out at the LBer Position?
    And I Did think that we Might See a little more of Jason fox this year Also.
    Does it Look as if Jason is going to pan out as a OT or LT To be exact?
    Ijust thought that we might see a little more Development out of these young Rookies this year.
    OK so Onward and Upward!
    LIONS!

37. By Jordan on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

get nuamdi he would be a solid add to our corners

38. By Jeff on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

Suh should be a no brainer for ROY.Bradford had a decent year for a rookie QB but I think that was a fluke more thananything else.Suh will be the most dominating DT for years to come.I applaud him for passing up the pro bowl to fix his shoulder,hes gonna have alot more probowls to go to if he chooses.He is one of those special players that dont come around often.As a lifelong lions fan with not much to brag about for a long time I can surely appreciate the direction the team is going.We have stars on our team that can get us to the next level.once we fix our offensive line so we dont keep killing QBs and drive killing penalties we can be a serious contender.Johnson,Stafford,Best,on offense Suh,Delmas on defense we can beat any team out there.

39. By Dominick on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

Nnamdi is a grade A shut down corner, but he will cost to much money and will draw offers from superbowl contending teams, forget about that. We need to sign chris houston back and upgrade OLB and 2CB and OL through draft and free agency. Suh deserves everyones vote for the rookie of the year, he was by far the best.Go Lions!

40. By Dominick on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

To Don: Willie is a speed rusher, he is not big for this position in this scheme he will get thrown around in the run game, he might develop into a everydown player, but most likely not. I agree to a certain extent to see him on a 3rd and long or two, he could make immediate impact there. I think he might be a better fit for a 3-4 OLB. As for Jason, he hasnt seemed to ever come back from that knee injury to the fullest, although he looked good when Hilliard went down.

41. By RONNIE YOUNG on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

SSSUUUHHHH your a beast…..thanks alot for a good job…..and getting detroit back on track

42. By Tone B on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

D-E-T-R-O-I-T FOOTBALL is back. To all members stay focus and follow the leaders Suhhhhh and (3 quarterbacks). No other team has this problem and I love it!

43. By rshlionfan on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

i love the new look of the mighty lions and SUH is the one it starts with love that he is a lion and great job mahew and schwartz for bringing him in die hard fan with honolulu blue blood running through my veins cant wait till 2011 season

44. By Don on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Dominick for the answers.
    I am also wondering If it would be Possible For Cory Williams to be able to fill in for Suh in the Pro Bowl? Believeing that he is the Next Best DT in our League and our division that is deserving of the Honor.
    Congradulations Ndamukong On the Honor and the privlage of being selected to the Pro Bowl.
    And I want to tell you what an Honor it is to have a Good Man on our TEAM that would Sacrifice The Pro Bowl In order to be ready to play for this TEAM and your fellow players and your fans.
    It is an Honor to have You on our TEAM.
    LIONS!

45. By Ralph on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Congratulations, Suh. One of the best defensive tackles out there. Next year, Suh is going to put damage on quarterbacks

46. By D. Brat on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Fantastic Finish. Playoff bound? It sure is exciting just to say the word. Go King Kong Suh, and GO LIONS!

47. By Lance Manly on Jan 12, 2011 | Reply

Suh… definately.

Suh’s photo on Detroit Freep News site is amazing; lays out for 10th sack as a rookie sacking a QB said to be as quick as Micheal Vick in an otherwise meaningless game.

Suh Rookie of the Year.

48. By Todd Moyer on Jan 12, 2011 | Reply

Alan Gordon from your post on the 8th. The Lions did not finish in last place, they tied with Minnesota and Have the tie-breaker in their favor. Lions 3rd, Minnesota 4th(last). I picked them to finish 5-11 this year so 6-10 is great. Suh is a beast!! Only need to tweak the offense a bit and stafford needs to tuften up,(maybe have suh hit you a few times, if you survive that we’ll be okay), a third receiver also. On defense a shut down corner is the dream pick but if we can get a good couple of linebackers and a decent corner the Lions and us fans should be able to purchase play-off tickets. MUST STAY HEALTHY!! Everyone. Can’t afford a season ending injury from anyone, so pray hard Lions fans! Super Bowl bound in 2012-13 season. ROAR,ROAR,ROAR!!!!!!!!

49. By BILLO313 on Jan 12, 2011 | Reply

Suh rightfully deserves this honor!! he isnt at a high profile position to make fl;ashy plays and still EVERYBODY knew what they were in for facing our boy. next season he will feel more at ease and comfortable within the system too?!? i cant wait to see him crackin some skulls next year!!

50. By Craig on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

We need Von Miller if he is there (Given Akumura isn’t there), if not I like Mike Pouncy at center, and Nnamdi Asomugha through free agency (should have some money with Julian Peterson leaving)….Pouncy is 6-5 and is supposed to be just as good as his bro in pittsburgh which was an all rookie btw (Sorry Dominc, tired of seeing your old little ass get thrown around)!….Fox played a little at the end of the season and looked ok, but Hilliard looked really good!…DE is not as important as suring up O-line, OLB, and secondary. Avril is a beast in the making and we have VandeBosch for a couple more yrs. Willie Young should come around and is learning from the best… Regardless of all…SUUUUUUH for years to come BABY!!! GO LIONS!!!

51. By John on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

I agree with everything that has been said in these comments. Living in S.D. i live in vikings territory and was very pleased at the end of the season to see the lions not in last place. I would hope that the lions would at least try to get Asomugha, but not holding my breath. Suh is nothing short of being great even in his rookie yr. unfortunately their will never be another Barry. Best i believe will be good. Delmas is a big hitter which i like. The Lions keep winning like this and it will become a habit for them. Very excited about next year (if there is one) and the years to come. All of us Lions fans can be very proud of the Lions and coaches.

52. By Colby Hayes on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply

Suh is the best DT in the NFL. Great pick for the Lions in last years draft. Now they need to address one of their biggest needs in this years draft. They should trade up in this draft and draft Suh’s old teammate, Prince Amukamara.

53. By randy on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply

Sue your awesome. Thank you for restoring hope to all detroit lions fans. My favorite momorie of the years is you field. That was awesome. Keep it up and lay some hurt on them qbs. Go lions

54. By Suomi54 on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply

Al Kaline drew me into being a Detroit sports fan, oh so many years ago. Ever since those days I’ve been a Lions fan, too. It’s been a long, sometimes arduous, path, but it looks like the Lions may be turning the corner. Suh was simply fantastic to watch play (when I could get a televised Detroit game here in western Iowa). Suh’s conduct both on and off the field defines the concept of “honorable.”

He certainly deserves ROY…the next closest contender can’t even see Suh’s tail lights.

55. By kathy Brunelle on Jan 23, 2011 | Reply

I also agree, Suh, God has blessed you with a lot of talent. Stay humble and you will go far. Your awesome!!!!!

56. By Frank Jordan on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

By far the best rookie in this years class. Go Suh…

57. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 30, 2012 | Reply

I can’t wait for this season!!! Super Bowl here we come! GO LIONS!!!