Johnson Grateful to be a Detroit Lion

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on January 30, 2011 – 7:07 pm

Wide receiver Calvin Johnson sat down with the NFL Network “Total Access” crew to talk about the Detroit Lions’ strong finish to the 2010 season and his first four NFL seasons.

When asked how this past year was different than his first in the league, Johnson enthusiastically spoke about the direction the Lions are headed under Head Coach Jim Schwartz.

Johnson: “This year was totally different from the past years. The amount of talent we have on the team – the size, speed – it’s just been a total difference from year one to year four. I’m just grateful to be on this team that’s coming up right now and hope that in the following years we can continue to crank this thing up.”

Watch the full interview

25 Responses to “Johnson Grateful to be a Detroit Lion”

1. By web 2.0 social media on Jan 30, 2011 | Reply

I am proud of the sportsmanship and professionalism that both Johnson and Suh have portrayed. They are not both just athletes, they are excellent role models. I am very excited for next year and the years to come. Have faith everyone, for we are not far away from being an elite team. ;) -peace

2. By Brandon Jetts on Jan 30, 2011 | Reply

keep it up Calvin! you are a huge factor of this team and we need every yard and TD from you if we are going to have some winnings seasons! We need a great WR and you are exactly it! Stick with us please we need you and the rest of the Lions to continue to be productive and get us wins!

3. By mike stuber on Jan 30, 2011 | Reply

Me n my two boys r huge fans, how can we get a autograffed pic

4. By Peter on Jan 30, 2011 | Reply

Not just Detroit, but Detroit fans all over Michigan are grateful to have you help us out C. Johnson. You’ll be a beast once Stafford is throwin’ to you on a weekly basis. I agree, I like the way Coach Schwartz is handling the team and hopefully some of Detroit’s best years will be in the near future.

5. By lex koch on Jan 30, 2011 | Reply

i hope the lions can get a running back that stays healthy each year they have a history of running backs with knee injuries. look at mel farr, nick eddy, steve owens,altie taylor, billy sims, kevin jones, now kevin smith will it never end?

6. By Derrick L. Davis on Jan 31, 2011 | Reply

Next time you go fishin in saltwater, please let me know bro. I guarantee I can show you AND ya boys how it’s done lol.But that aside, we all are so grateful for you being here on our team and giving us a hero to pull for whenever you take the field. And I for one. . . .CAIN WAIT lol. . . For you to hoist that beautiful chrome football shaped trophy and give a smile for all of us who’ve waited so long for that moment . Bless you my brother . LNF !

7. By Rod Click on Jan 31, 2011 | Reply

Not just the fans in Detroit and Michigan, but all of us who had to leave to find work. I may live 1000 miles awy, but when the Lions or the Wings come East I am ready to go to a game even if it is not at home and watching Calvin and the rest of the team play this year brought back memories of the 50’s when I was a kid watching in Detroit. Keep it going, some of us will never stop supporting the Lions! Go Lion, Go!

8. By Ralph on Jan 31, 2011 | Reply

I’m glad that Calvin is grateful and I just hope that he sticks with the Lions, because I’m sure that the Lions will be a competitive contender

9. By Motlee92 on Jan 31, 2011 | Reply

The Lions are going to be a handful for everyone they face next year, Led by Megatron. BIG things are on horizon, I can feel it….Next year will be big(it’s nice to say that with real hope for a change!!!!)

10. By myron on Jan 31, 2011 | Reply

Calvin man,live in oklahoma i was at the cowboys game i couldnt ask for a better reciever than u man, even when i want u to go ham every once in a while if u dont get the ball. lol. i really believe that you are the best reciever in the last ten years look it up. your the only elite reciever that has caught balls from 5-7 different qbs and still had the production. you are a beast.We have talent on every level with a good draft we should be rite in the mix. have a good offseason stay healthy bro 1.

11. By Lilo on Feb 1, 2011 | Reply

Calvin is one of the best receivers in the league right now. He’ll be the best!

12. By Tom Connors on Feb 1, 2011 | Reply

Is there a reason why my comments weren’t published? Thanks.

13. By buczko on Feb 1, 2011 | Reply

Calvin Johnson, if you read these post first and foremost i want to say thank you for hearing the fans voices and opinions. Second, i would like to say thank you for being a Dertroit lion and always playing your hardest every game. Your an amazing athlete you are inspirational and also a great role model for young to old. Your decisions for the future are based on whats benefiting you, i hope you stay a lion. But if not, I will follow you where ever you go. I would love to be your agent, or even just a friend, you seem like an awesome person to be around. My birthday is March 7 hoping for game tickets Megatron. Dinner to talk about the future of your career? Well maybe in September your birthday gift will be delayed until December. Playoffs baby! write me back @ cbuczko@sbcglobal.net

14. By Preston on Feb 1, 2011 | Reply

The way Calvin got along with Roddy White at the Probowl and then hearing Matt Ryan’s comments about wanting Calvin on his side is almost enough to make you cry. Calvin is from Atlanta and I see him going there after his contract is up, I pray to god it does not happen but I smell it.

15. By BILLO313 on Feb 1, 2011 | Reply

we will be alot better than last season ill tell u that!! im happy your with us CJ!! you are a big piece of the puzzle that we almost have completed!! i cant wait till next year!! GO LIONS!!!

16. By lyingfan for life on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

He could and should be the best in the league, hey Calvin, read KEYSHAWN Johnson’s book, maybe Linehan will listen. Oh and another thing, tell Jahvid to run north and south. Good luck next year!

17. By turbojeff on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

A PURE PROFESSIONAL!!!

18. By GABRIEL DEKAM on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

With offensive weapons like Calvin, Nate, Tony, Brandon and Best with a trio of productive QBs to get the ball to them we will hard to handle in 2011 if we can stay healthy. Speaking of which I still think trading Matt Stafford should be a consideration to help get our defensive a shut down CB, DB or linebacker and a high draft pick I just think it may be best for the team given the likely hood of him landing on that shoulder again and again because players will be gunning for him. He has great talent but his trade value is greater with Shaun and Drew playing so well, just my opinion let me know what you think. Go Lions!!

19. By Dan on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Here’s a good one for all Lions fans!

I agree that the Lions will be a great team next year but a local commentator this morning brought up the fact that – – – since the Lions beat up the Packers in their last meeting & knocked Rogers out of the game, that the real winners of the Super Bowl were the Detroit Lions!!!

HEY – Works for me!

20. By Dan on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

To Calvin, Suh and the rest of the team – thanks for being a Detroit Lion. We appreciate every one of you guys. I just can’t say enough about how grateful we are to have a team like this one.

To Jim Schwartz and the entire coaching staff – Thank you!

21. By brian on Feb 8, 2011 | Reply

I really hope megatron stays in Det his whole career. Det is filling holes basically everywhere to hang w/ the big boys. Green Bay did a great job, won super bowl 45.. What does that say for Det. beating Green Bay their last game? I know the Lions will have another good draft this yr. ’11. Can’t really go wrong drafting best available; (one of the following db, ot, lb). I think we should trade down if not 1st rd. 2nd rd. try to get A.Ayers & B.Harris= A+ for lions draft and play-off contenders. In later rds. addressing offensive line, safety, elsewhere. I like Boise State’s safety Jeron Johnson to fill safety need or possibilty of signing ex bills Donte Whitner. If Ayers is not available, B.Harris (but whom I like better then the other top db’s) is a reach I would go ot. maybe copy off of 49ers in their draft last yr. back to back o linemen. I also think Det. will target rb to share workload w/ J.Best Morris is aging. I wish good luck this off-season and the best of moves to being a legit contender. Hopefully there won’t be a lock out for the year 2011 will be a boring one.

I hope the Lions defense one day is strong as the Raven’s, Steelers, etc. They will be fun to watch!!!!

22. By Don on Feb 9, 2011 | Reply

Well, I wish that I was writing here about calvin in which I love that Dude and All he has done. congrats Calvin!
    However I am writing because I am wondering if Lewand has Lost his MIND!
    Your SOOOO proud to have WXYZ-TV to do ALL of your Tele Broadcasts?
    Are you NUTS? ALL the PEOPLE from WXYZ have done or SAID about this TEAM for years now is how Bad the LIONS Suck! AND these are the People that you hire and plan to do Business with? WXYZ does NOT LIKE THE LIONS!
    Everyone KNOWS THAT! Havent you ever Listened to the types of things and Little Sarcastic remarks that they have Made ALL through these years?
    And when they even Mention the LIONS with thier Little snickers and Snears and frowns that are on thier Faces.
    Are You trying to move Foreward by buddying up with your enemies?
    ALL that their Sports writers have ever said about this TEAM is what ever they could say negative about them and that is who you do business with?
    And so now you have cut ties with Fox Network? That was the Single Most Stupid thing that I have seen this Group do since you and Mayhew have Taken over. So I guess that we can get ready to listen to wxyz Telling you everything that your doing wrong and whats wrong with the TEAM ALL THE TIME!
    I bet that they Start telling you that this System that you have in place is the wrong one and that you have the wrong QB the wrong Coach, that the system just is’nt going the way that WXYZ thinks that it should.
    And then you can get on with one of the WXYZ REPORTERS that are going to rip you up one side and down the other about how things ar being done with this TEAM. I would bet that you made the single biggest mistake in this Franchises history! You just cant Leave things Alone. And you were just about on your way to the Playoffs and now you jion up with the TEAM that would love to see you fall flat on your face.
    Lewand you should really pay attention with who you are doing business with.
    WXYZ is going to be haveing the time of thier life ripping this Organization apart. REAL SMART there Lawonder. What were you thinking?

23. By Don on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

Well, I have to say that I did like the enterview.
    And Don Shane is not one of the people that I was talking about making fun of the team. Don is an OK person and a pretty fair and balanced reporter.
    So, I will give this a Chance, However I sure hope that Noone (Any reporters) tries to enterfear with the way that things are being run in this Organization. This is the TEAMs Baby and I hope that it all works out well. It is just that after so many years of listening to ALL the Negative Garbage about this TEAM. I just do not want to see that Happening ALL over again.
    I trully believe that this Organization is on the right track And for ALL of us LIONS Fans. That is GREAT! And We Want to See it carried through ALL the way to the Superbowl’S!
    Sorry about that last write up Mr.Lewand, I was way to harsh.
    You have been doing a very good job with this Team and with the choices that you have made. I get a little carried away sometimes when it comes to the LIONS! Again, I just would love to see things Keep going in the right direction.
    And I believe in this Coaching staff, Martin Mayhew, and you Tom, and the front office. And ALL the great Players that we now have on the TEAM.
    GO LIONS!

24. By Hiding in PA on Feb 17, 2011 | Reply

I’m am also very proud that C.J (mega tron) is with the lions he is spectacular to watch and can break one at any time, also with running back J. Best will also be a force to recon with, i can see him following in the steps of the GREAT Barry Sanders. We need to have M. Stafford to stay healthy to see what he can really do once he gets settled in (but IMO if he cannot stay healthy this year we should start looking for another QB. I do like him but not helping team standing on the sideline). Our def line i think is one of best in the NFL, but we really need to step up our O line. GO LIONS!

25. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 30, 2012 | Reply

We’re ECSTATIC to have him back too!