Lions’ Fans Are Leaning Toward the Secondary

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on February 27, 2011 – 5:50 pm

When polled regarding draft prospects, Detroit Lions’ fans favored the secondary.

Fan favorites?

Prince Amukamera, Nebraska
Brandon Harris, Miami
Jimmy Smith, Colorado
Patrick Peterson, LSU
Curtis Brown, Texas
Ras-I Dowling, Virginia
Rahim Moore, UCLA
Robert Sands, West Virginia
Brandon Burton, Utah

Lions’ General Manager Martin Mayhew was asked this week what he looks for in terms of cornerbacks. As a former corner, he believes the most important thing is competitiveness.

Mayhew: “Being competitive and not wanting anybody to catch any ball is the difference, I think, between the great ones in this business and the good-to-average ones. All of those guys compete, really play hard and take it personally if somebody catches the ball on him. I think that’s important. All of those guys have different skill sets and different abilities and they all have a chance to play for us.”

Many of the prospects spoke of their competitiveness at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Colorado’s Jimmy Smith had zero interceptions in 2010 after opponent offenses essentially refused to throw at him. He said he had one opportunity to intercept a pass one-handed, but wasn’t able to bring it in.

“After that I got, maybe, about three passes thrown my way for the rest of the season,” he said.

That being said, Smith isn’t shying away from being “picked on” as an NFL rookie.

“I can’t wait. I want to be in the game,” he said. “I didn’t get thrown at much in college. I know the NFL is definitely going to test me – I’m excited about that.”

UCLA’s Rahim Moore also dealt with offenses avoiding him in 2010. Moore had 10 interceptions in 2009, but had just one last season.

“A lot of time teams wouldn’t throw at me,” he said. “I had to switch my game up, play more of a strong safety type. In our system, a free safety has to be a strong safety and a strong safety has to be a free. I mixed it up, showed teams I can be physical down in the box and be an overall football player.”

View more interview clips of Lions-fan favorites on Detroitlions.com.

44 Responses to “Lions’ Fans Are Leaning Toward the Secondary”

1. By Big Al on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

i wish the prince would fall to us but i dont see it happening

2. By Darren on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

Its not a problem if we get Jimmy Smith… But I think I would rather have Amukamara

3. By Bob Ishii on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

If the quarterback does not have time to throw you don’t need a secondary. Get somebody on the other side of Suh and a linebacker and an awsome defense we would have unstoppable.

4. By mark on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

The Lions should keep building the D-line with Quinn andsomehow get Paea too

5. By Don on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

Patrick Peterson Will be gone for sure, And I really like Prince Amukamara, But again I’m afraid that he might be gone too.
    Jimmy Smith Really impressed me, Seemed to have a great Attitude.
    Not like the other’s did’nt?
    Brandon Harris seem’s like he is really putting his best foot forward.
    Rahim Moore, is this dude young or what? Seems like he is.
    Anyway’s gotta see what happens when the draft gets here and what the other teams are doing.
    But, Jimmy Smith Seems to have that first RD Talent and the Intangables.
    Rahim Moore is right with him.
    If Prince is there though. It’s seems like a can’t miss.
    I still want a OT, and Nate Solder Looks really good. And Costanzo, However there are a Lot of OTs And Guards that Look pretty Good in this Draft.
    So, We might not get Solder and still pick someone up in the Later rounds that could be a help. Peterson had a Lot of penalties this last year.
    And then there is LBer, And I know we need that for sure.
    So Many needs, To few pick’s. (:
    And then there is all those want’s too! (:
    LIONS!

6. By S.J.D. on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

Lions need to either trade up in the draft to get Peterson or Amukamera or the should trade and take a lower first round pick to get another cornerback lower in the draft

7. By Craig on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Realistically….We are looking at Solder, Ayers,or Jimmy Smith!! Amakumara will more than likely be gone too! Dreaming for Patrick Peterson or Von Miller! I actually think either of them are worth trading up for though!

8. By Canton's Brett on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Watching Julio Jones in game and at the combine has been great.

Looking forward to seeing the skills in the next couple of days. Just gnab a blue-chipper late april, reach if you’ve got to. Stay bold.

9. By Craig on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know what the grades of the picks are, or if this is even possible, but our 2nd 3rd 4th for another first? If we could cover two of the three needs via draft…..That would be huge for us…..I think Corner and Linebacker are a must! I’m dreaming of this scenario….Asomugha in Free Agency, and trade up and take Von Miller! Who’s with me????lol I have faith in Mahew and the Schwartz though….GO LIONS!!!!!!!!

10. By Aj on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

@Craig, I’m hoping that we try to get Asomugha in FA, he is the best CB in the league!

11. By sjhaager on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Please don’t trade up. We don’t have enough picks already. When we did it last year we had many more picks. We should trade down. Pick up the help you need in the secondary from free agency and then do the best you can in the draft for future. Man we are real close now and only need a few holes to fill to be competitive enough to make the playoffs.

12. By mikep on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

as much as i want a better secondary, i think keeping are QB safe should be our #1 priority (,von miller would be nice)

13. By BILLO313 on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

KERRIGAN!!!!!! He could learn from Vanden Bosch also. that guy is flying under the radar right now. if he falls to us i say grab him.

14. By Kurt C on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

If we address a few key positions in the first half of the draft they can step in right away and make a difference.
    Rd 1 – We have to take whichever corner is the best available.
    Rd 2 – This is where we need to look at value and we take a LB that has slipped a little, the best offensive lineman, or even another CB if a solid player is still there
    Rd 3- Same basic formula as Rd 2
    Rd 4 – I wouldnt mind seeing us taking a shot at a RB at some point…

15. By kw1442 on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

I just hope they dont get Dline. Our pick should be CB or Oline, and no LB just because the LB class is very shallow. however, CB’s could be easier to get in free agency (Asoughma and Joseph), whenever free agency does happen. I also heard we might get Tulloch-LB from the titans

16. By eric on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

We need a impact player whoever we get..i think the nebraska corner falls 2 us..if not jimmy smith is a player..but i have seen alot of good college corners..the next level u could end up a bust..they need 2 be careful with this pick..just get the best player no matter position..

17. By Jordan on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

if we get a shutdown corner our d-line will feast

18. By ILL Lion on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Free agency is going to determine everything we do in the draft. I’d LOVE to see us sign Nnamdi and a guy like Stephen Nicolas from Atlanta. Assuming the dream of Nnamdi comes true…trade back for a an additional 3rd rounder with STL, SD or SEA…whoever wants to move up for Ayers. 1. Jimmy Smith or Gabe Carmini 2. Bruce Carter 3A. John Moffit 3B. Casey Matthews or Nate Irving. If we don’t sign anyone in free agency and don’t trade back…1. Prince or Smith 2. Carter 3. Mason Foster 4. Lee Ziemba to play RG.

19. By CR on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Yes, Lions should trade up, not with the 13th but with the 2nd round pick, move up and steal a player like they did with Best. Maybe get a OT or OG. Even a DE to replace KVB later down the road.

20. By mark on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Quinn Quinn Quinn Quinn Quinn Quinn
    Paea Paea Paea Paea Peae Paea
    If you watch game film on Quinn he is unreal and can dip better than Harrison and Freeney. He dominated Castanzo and he is a first round pick at OT. OH and Quinn was a all american wrestler come on Detroit I hope he falls to us because of the year off. Get a corner through free agency.

21. By Preston on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Prince is a shutdown corner in reguards that he does not let that many WR’s get over the top of him, but in the NFL I think he’ll lack the speed to keep them maintained from going over the top. CB Jimmy Smith has all the traits he’s the better CB.

22. By ryan on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Jimmy Smith then Mason Foster round 2

23. By zac on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

I could see us drafting a corner in the 1st round i think amakumara will fall to us and jimmy smith being thr 2nd corner taken. And I wouldnt be suprised seeing us trade back up into the 1st round to draft someone like MLB martinez or an offensive lineman

24. By brian on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

I was saying in the middle of the season to get Bowers, Peterson, amukamara or V.Miller. no chance in h*** they drop to Det. y did det win the remaining games on their schedule?? It’s about pride, we can’t keep affording all these high end picks. Y did we go after mediocre safety Erik Smith?? seriously some1 tell me. hope we didn’t give him much… d-line is fine whomever u put with suh = positive results. If Det stays put in rd. 1 Tyron Smith, R.Quinn or A.Ayers at 13. trade down try to get B.Harris, still Ayers or T.Smith rd. 2 Castonzo if we didn’t grab T.Smith or linebacker. we have no linebacker outside D.Levy people!!!! Offensive line was alright but defintely needs upgrade if available. I could eventually see J.FOX becoming a starter. I’m not sure about keeping Raiola, Peterman, Backus and even Cherilus for ever. If we do have them all next yr. I say at least draft 1 stud o linemen put Backus inside. didn’t like N.Solder senior bowl, combine think your taking a risk drafting him at 13. Not worried about secondary need a safety tho. lot of sleepers this yr. Det will make smart moves in the draft like the last two.

25. By mark on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

I agree we have no outside linebackers, but Quinn is unreal and I also agree with you about solder I am not imprssed DE run right by him and he catch get low enough. I really don’t like too much of the line in the draft, buy I do like that one old guy from canda that just plays nasty as a OG and we need a run game. Why is everyone stuck on corner other teams will just throw away from him I rather see us get 2 good corners in FA. Our D-line will make the good corners look great.

26. By Ron on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

hey the s we got is erik colman, from alt. he was hurt young blood took over he never had a chance to get back in. Before that happened if you look at his numbers they are not to bad give it a chance if they didn’t think that was a good pick up it wouldn’t have happened. I dont think det. will pay for a FA in the draft they will want to much money so we need to draft one, then o line for sure after that. We can get a lb in FA to go with levy you have to remember when levy was a back up no one wanted that eather, now he is it…..whatever mayhew and co. will do the right thing fore a 3rd year!! go lions

27. By Tom Miles on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

I liked what I saw in Peterson, runs very well. I would love to see the Lions D get even faster!!

28. By coach shoop on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

1st round – Jimmy Smith 4.38, 20+ reps 225, and 36″ vertical leap, all to go with a 6’2” 210 lbs. cornerback with a shutdown mentality. Better than Amukamura.

2nd round- Bruce Carter OLB-UNC great size/speed combination, 6’3” 235lbs. 4.55 40 before knee injury, would’ve been 1st rounder if not for knee injury.

3rd round- Greg Jones LB-MSU great college production, 2 year all-american, should be able to do what he does best behind Detroits D-line, and that’s simply make tackles.

4th round- Robert Sands West Virginia, is a 6’5” 225 lbs. safety with a 4.5 40. I like the possibility of adding a 6’2” corner and a 6’5” safety to our defensive backfield.

5th round- Greg Little UNC, WR, at 6’3” 230 lbs. little is a physical presence that actually would have been drafted much higher if not for charecter concerns, this guy has a pretty impressive highlight tape, check him out on youtube.

To me, this would address the lions needs at lb, cb, safety, and 3rd reciever, we will look to free agency to find a power back and some offensive line depth. 2011 is looking to be a great season, DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS.

29. By Wichita,Ks#1LionsFan on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

We can get a good Offensive Lineman in 2nd. Got to grab Harris from Miami!

30. By Wichita,Ks#1LionsFan on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

If we get Nnamdi, it would be nice to get Mark Ingram.

31. By Ryan on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

I think the lions need to fix things in Free agency more than the draft this year. Look at all of the players out there. Asomugha, Ernie Sims, Carl Nicks, LAMARR WOODLEY, Paul Puzluszny, Vernon Gholston was considered a bust and cut maybe you could look into him…he could be a steal since I mean after all, you know he has talent he was a former first round pick and you could most likely get him for really cheap. As for the draft, I just looked up Prince Amukamara footage, he really isn’t that good. He’s no Darrelle Revis at least. I honestly think Bobby Carpenter did a pretty good job at ROLB when he was in last year, but I think Julian Peterson is on the decline as a starter. I think the draft should look something like this:

Early rounds (players to consider depending on who’s taken or who was signed in free agency): Jimmy Smith, Akeem Ayers, Derek Sherrod (not with 13th overall), Martez Wilson (second round)

Later rounds: Stephen Paea,Chris Culliver, Curtis Brown, Scott Schilling, Danny Watkins

then after all of those players are gone, you know…best player available. I know there’s some top secret talent from division two who didn’t even go to the combine that you guys have scouted ha

32. By mike sandy on Mar 4, 2011 | Reply

Please for the love of God trade up and grab Peterson. That is exactly the type of player we need. He will be a pro bowler for years to come and maybe one of the best corners ever. He will make a huge difference in our secondary.

33. By Tim Clothier on Mar 4, 2011 | Reply

I realize alot of people are pushing for Akeem Ayers but I was “really” disappointed in his 40 time ( 4.8+ ). That alone would make me hesitate about taking him at pick 13.
    I was more impressed with Prince Amakumara and his 4.3+ forty time. It would be nice if somehow he fell to pick 13 I know the forty doesn’t make or break a player but it is sure something to think about.

Timdog

34. By todd on Mar 5, 2011 | Reply

take the best available don’t reach, if that means julio jones or mark ingram take them. we need alot of help don’t reach for something you could get later.

35. By BrentFlocka11 on Mar 5, 2011 | Reply

i think we get tyron smith.. its the smart move to protect staffard.

36. By BrentFlocka11 on Mar 5, 2011 | Reply

we have to work on the offensive line so we can pretect staffard we can get jimmy smith in the first round after we trade up with our second pick and trade up with the third pick to get brandon harris

37. By Preston on Mar 5, 2011 | Reply

Someone should tell Mayhew and Swartz their starting to talk too much as compared to the first two years. ZIP YOUR LIPS.

38. By Huskerfan on Mar 5, 2011 | Reply

Watching Amukamera play, my personal opinion is he is a little overrated. Considering how the Lions did last year compared to year before I would call it a success and a step in the right direction. Stafford needs to stay healthy though. With that in mind I think the Lions should get an OL first then a secondary player. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see who’s available at the time.

39. By detroit on Mar 7, 2011 | Reply

PRESTON, NO ONE TOOK THEM SERIOUS YEAR ONE OR TWO. LOOK EVERYONE IS TAKING NOTICE AT WHAT THEY HAVE DONE. THEY REALIZE WHAT THEY ARE DOING IN THE DRAFT AND FA.THEY ARE GETTING ASKED MORE QUESTIONS AND GETTING MORE ATTENTION FROM THE MEDIA.IS THERE SOMETHING I MISSED. PRESTON WHAT ARE YOU REFFERING TO.

40. By Tim on Mar 7, 2011 | Reply

If we have Jason Fox as a backup to Backus, do we need to draft a left tackle> Is Fox not doing a good enough job to eventually take J, Backus’ job over?
    Keep in mind, “I believe” we were 7th or 8th in defending our q.b. from getting sacked. I question Raioli and I’m not sure about Peterman but he played better the second half of the season.
    I would suggest taking the best available athlete between cornerback and outside linebacker on the first pick. Akeem Ayers is too slow!

41. By Craig on Mar 7, 2011 | Reply

I really like Chimde Checkwa from Ohio State….. He’s def a shutdown corner! I think he is actually better than the Prince! Solder in the first and Chimde in the second….might even have to trade up with the second like last year to get Chimde, but he is worth it!

42. By catscratchfever on Mar 9, 2011 | Reply

Ayers doesn’t impress, Amukamara will be gone. Brandon Harris, Aldon Smith or JJ Watt will be our pick.

43. By Joel on Mar 10, 2011 | Reply

Take the best player available that makes sense, as usual. OT, LB, CB, and DE all make sense. All the talk has changed my mind. I was completely ready to go defense but all this talk about fixing the O-line sounds better and better. I’d be okay with an OT in the first, CB in the second, and LBs and whatever else after that. For the love of god draft a new fullback in the seventh round. Jerome Felton can’t block at a professional level. Cut him or send him to the Raiders. Al Davis is as poor of a judge of talent as Matt Millen. Felton could make millions over there.

44. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 30, 2012 | Reply

I can’t wait for this season!!! Super Bowl here we come! GO LIONS!!!