North Carolina LB Bruce Carter Visits Lions

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on March 16, 2011 – 3:55 pm

North Carolina LB Bruce Carter visited the Detroit Lions Practice & Training Facility Wednesday, meeting with the coaching and administration staffs.

Carter: “I think everything went really well. They have great facilities, coaches are great. The Lions are a team that’s on the rise, so they’ve got everything going for them. I feel like it would be a great fit for me, but it’s not up to me to decide.”

One of the primary reasons Carter says he would like to go to Detroit is the stout defensive line, which – as a linebacker – would free him up to make plays.

He is also looking to bring his field goal-blocking ability to whichever team elects to draft him. Carter had five blocked kicks as a senior in 2010.

Carter: “I just think it’s something you’ve got to have a knack for. Some people say it’s luck, but I feel like it’s hard work. I’m hoping that every team that I do visit – including the Lions – see that it’s something I do well and it’s something I can add to any organization that I do go to.”

As an outside linebacker, Carter could compliment middle linebacker DeAndre Levy, who will enter his third NFL season this fall.

Said Carter of his time with the Lions’ coaches: “They said I was a great player (and) I’ve got my head on straight – good character. All the good stuff. I feel like it was an awesome visit. I really enjoyed myself.”

36 Responses to “North Carolina LB Bruce Carter Visits Lions”

1. By Tom Miles on Mar 16, 2011 | Reply

A good OLB would be a great fit as well

2. By Trent on Mar 16, 2011 | Reply

Great! If we can get him in the second round and Jimmy Smith or Prince in the first then the RB from Hawaii in the fourth, and Ras-I-Dowling in the third and a quick rec in the fifth.

3. By Big Al on Mar 16, 2011 | Reply

I’d rather get Greg Jones in the second round than Carter

4. By detroit on Mar 16, 2011 | Reply

CARTER IS AN ALL AROUND GOOD PLAYER HE STOOD OUT FOR ME AT THE COMBINE. HE IS DEFINETLY ON LIST OF LB’S. I’M VERY HAPPY THE STAFF IS LOOKING AT THIS GUY. I THINK JONES AND CARTER ARE VERY CLOSE TO EACH OTHER IN SKILL LEVEL. I WOULD TAKE EITHER ONE THAT WAS AVA IN 2ND RD. UNLESS WE GET PRINCE IN 1ST AND CAMRON JORDAN IS STILL ON THE BOARD IN THE 2ND. GUES WE WILL HAVE TO SEE HOW IT PLAYS OUT. I HAVE CONFIDENCE IN SCHWARTZ AND MAYHEW THEY WILL MAKE THE BEST PICKS FOR THE TEAM FOR WHATS AVA AT EACH PICK.

5. By Jordan on Mar 16, 2011 | Reply

It would be a great fit either Carter or Jones would be great second round picks and going with Tyron Smith or Nate Solder in the first round would give Stafford much needed protection.

6. By craig on Mar 16, 2011 | Reply

Please lets protet Matt – our defense will be fine via free agency if there are holes – matt if protected can light it up for 28 -40 points a game with our defense as good as it was and only getting better we sould be playoff bound. Go offensive line with the first 3 picks

7. By Wes on Mar 16, 2011 | Reply

@ Detroit….Carter stood out to you at the combine? He dindn’t participate in anything. He is recovering from an ACL injury.

8. By nost on Mar 16, 2011 | Reply

He didnt participate at the combine as he is coming off ACL surgery. If not for that he would have been a 1st round pick as the best 4-3 OLB in college ball
    The Lions would be lucky as could be to get him in the second

9. By Marcus24 on Mar 16, 2011 | Reply

You people are so full of it. How did you guys see him at the combine WHEN HE HAS A TORN acl and wont be cleared to participate in anything untill around august. He miss almost all last season, and taking him in the 2nd would be a far far reach. Carter was my favorite linebacker on tape, his stats werent the impressive, but his speed (before acl) was impressive and his closing speed was much like Delmas. His tackeling and instincts were both solid. But becuase of injury he will fall to the 4th in my opinion, and this was a 1st round pick before his injury. He also has a motor like KVB from what i hear, so he should have a problem getting recovered from the injury.

10. By Marcus24 on Mar 16, 2011 | Reply

*shouldnt have a problem

11. By Tom Miles on Mar 16, 2011 | Reply

DENFENCE WINS SUPER BOWLS

12. By Craig Not Smart on Mar 16, 2011 | Reply

Ok Craig you obviously don’t know football. The weak points on our line are Peterman and Raiola. Even with those facts we were still top ten in pass protection which is brilliant even though our run game was weak. Go O line with top 3 picks. You must be out of your mind, your last name must be millen cuz you got to be kidding me man. Get a new hobby cuz football isn’t it. All we need are solid LBs and one shut down corner via draft or free agency and one more for depth. We could use an interior lineman in the mid rounds, but c’mon man wake up!

13. By S.J.D. on Mar 16, 2011 | Reply

why should we protect stafford if he will get injured anyways? we had a good offensive line last year and you might forget how lightly stafford fell on his shoulder the second time he got injured last season… if we are going “protect matt” we might as well just get a new quarterback that can take a hit..

14. By boober on Mar 16, 2011 | Reply

i agree we gotta protect the cub like an iron cage… yeah… like a lion in a cage… but then he gonna be free to pass the ball to the giant free roaming lions like megatron and score a touchdown. touchdowns are worth 6 points in this league! aint nobody seen what babyfingers can do yet. he gonna make a miyyun dollars. we need some strong mens up there.

15. By Ryan on Mar 16, 2011 | Reply

we are lions in a cage and being tied down by the NFL,but this we made a big dent in that cage and if we build our secondary and build our offense around stafford we will break out of that cage and restore the roar!

16. By Danny on Mar 16, 2011 | Reply

Great athlete, but tackling is an issue with this guy. Rather have Foster, but would be glad to add Carter in round 2, but could be a steal in round 3.

17. By Jim Weller on Mar 16, 2011 | Reply

Trent kind of has the idea, but Jimmy Smith is a second rounder and so is carter, therefore a trade down would be necessary to acquire a second second round pick. Thus there would still be OT’s left on the board and we could nab both Jimmy Smith and Bruce Carter who is a perfect fit. Not sure about Ras I Dowling, but Eugene Baker in the 5th looks nice to compliment Johnson. 3rd round should go to Derek Sherrod or Ben Ijalana. Either way, Draft day should be nothing short of exciting.

18. By eric on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

2 be honest we all know the dline made the game easier for everybody..I like Bruce Carter he could be our guy..if he hadnt been injured..he would be a first rounder for sure..We are not as desperate at linebacker as sum may think..Palmer can start..and Carpenter is a great tackler..plus they bringin follett back(why?)..he was like a deer in the headlights. but hes a ferocious hitter…i think they allready know who they want..So will see how it shakes out..im all for building depth on the O line.. but we need another real threat at rb..Another linebacker..maybe pick up a vet..if prince or jordan and say a ingram an Tyron Smith are there at 13 and they all just might be there..what do u do? They get the big bucks so they know..Hey as long as we get some good young ballers with upside..and they continue 2 progress..and build on all the great things the team has been doing..we can win every damn game we play..Ask SUH..

19. By corey on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

trade up to get Patrick Peterson with Bruce Carter in the second and then grab and OL

20. By Tom Miles on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Carter is kind of small for a pro LB

21. By Tom Miles on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

I do know that the Lions need LBs and DBs to put them over the hump, from a really good D to a great D

22. By allenparker on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

I liked carter alot! Greg jones is a real small LB so I would take carter over him for sure! Big al you would take jones over carter cause your probly a state fan but I want the better talent! Prince will not fall to us cause more then likely he is going to get drafted by houston! If I was in charge I would trade out of the 13th pick for some later picks to get some more overall depth because we still have lots of gapping hole’s and injure’s do happen and change everything!

23. By mike on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

i agree with jim. i like the looks of derek sherrod

24. By Craig Not Smart Not Smart on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

I wouldn’t agree with Craig in saying that we need to use the top 3 picks on OL…but the 1st rounder should for sure. We were only a top ten in pass protection because the QBs that we were using always throw these little short passes that only take 1 second to get out of the QBs hand. And that goes for why we had so few sacks against us too. Where was the OL when we were trying to run the ball? Or when Julius Peppers was untouched running straight at Stafford’s blind side? That’s what I thought. I’m not saying that the OL completely sucked it up, because they did okay last season, but we DO have a $40 million QB that we need to protect more than anything else…because face it, if Stafford is not on the field, our shot at the playoffs goes down drastically. Protecting Stafford should be our top priority for sure. Then we can go for LBs and DBs.

25. By DEET on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

To the men in charge: Stick to your gameplan, we all know the deal about opinions everyone has one! You guys have been doing a great job with the draft & getting the Lions headed in the right direction. You all study the tapes & have access to all the film you need for each player in this draft. Also, you’re the only ones who truly know the type of schemes you want to apply. So continue to draft the best player available at your spot that fits into the scheme the best. Mr. Mayhew, couch Swartz , & all the scouting staff keep up the outstanding work & it will pay off with a quickness!!! Go LIONS!!!!!!

26. By tyler on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

at 13 we should get prince if hes there if not get thwe best avaible offensive lineman.

27. By tyler on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

so if we do end up getting prince our next pick should either be pouncey or that jordan guy from cal but i doubt he will still be avaible. it would be outrageous to pick greg jones that is the biggest reach i have ever heard. he will be avaible in the 4th round most likey check his senior stats compared to junior stats its like he stopped taking roids or somthin. bruce carter is one of the best linebackers in this draft when completely healthy so i wouldnt mind them taking him in the second round but still is kinda a reach because of the torn acl. the lions just have to keep getting the best players avaible because we are still in need at multiple positions. if i was mayhew i would trade from 13 and find a way to get PP(patrick peterson) the overal best and most clean cut player in the draft

28. By greg nyce on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

In the free agency the lions can get a CB they need a WR so go after TO he would be a nice fit. In the draft I like Aldon Smith he could learn a from KVB. That would help out SUH, also i like David Baas from SF he could play gaurd or center i like him at C

29. By Ripple R on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

At this point, Matt Stafford is encellent trading bait for another 1st round player. Let’s trade him for OLB Von Miller.

We can use our 13th pick to select OT Tyron Smith to block for our aready proven quarterback, Shaun Hill. Hill has passed all of the test thrown in his direction. It is time for him to be given his rightful position-STARTER.

Unless Matt can turn his baby fat into muscles during this off-season, he will obtain another injury which will validate my suggestion. My hope is that the Lions’ management team doesn’t make the mistake of gambling on Stafford. My gut level feelings tell me he is very talented, but the bottom line is that he can’t take a hit.

MLB Greg Jones is another player we should seriously consider in this draft. He obviously adds insurance to that position because Levy is good, but also has a tendency to get hurt. The Lions will put together a draft plan that will take us to the playoffs. My plan will take us to the Super Bowl.

30. By Cosmo on Mar 19, 2011 | Reply

JJ watt is my choice for DE at 13. this would be a huge pick up for us. This guy is kinda like SUH in that u can really play him all over the line and even stand him up for a zone flat or something. This guy looks like the kinda guy that schwarz and mayhew like to gobble up. My hope is on Watt. I know not a area of “need” persey but we realistically need everything still.

31. By Preston on Mar 19, 2011 | Reply

Jones is not the guy Detroit should pick, the guy is slow and just not that good in my opinon, I don’t even think he’s a special teamer.

32. By Preston on Mar 19, 2011 | Reply

I’m no excuse maker and I tend to look at things from a realistic approach. Stafford fell on his shoulder that was already injuried and not healed, that’s the truth, the injury can linger for a very long time and still not fully heal. He should have had the operation the first time but he did not. NOW he has has the operation….the same one as many of the greats have had and the same one Mark Sanchez had…it’s a thing of the past. If Stafford is injured again there’s no excuse. I tore a ligament of tissue in my shoulder once, it took about 9 months to feel normal again…it hurts pretty bad when you move that should just right. I believe in Stafford, I really do.

33. By CR on Mar 19, 2011 | Reply

Preston.. Greg Jones was one of the leading tacklers in the Big Ten… i think he is plenty good. I don’t think speed is a problem for him either, also, he is a good open tackler.

34. By CR on Mar 19, 2011 | Reply

And Ripple R. I’m pretty sure they are going with Matt this year. Another year with him, i think he can prove himself.

35. By Leonard Carter on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

For those who think the o-line did well last season, think again…….Not only did Stafford suffer injuries…..but all of our qb’s did. So what does that tell you??? We need help for that o-line. I want the sexy pick too but i also want protection for our starting qb……..no knock on our backup qb’s….. but i would prefer to not see these guys at ALL next season. If we don’t see these cats under center then that means good news for both Stafford and the team.

36. By Frank on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

I wasn’t aware that Jones was not at combine. However he is an ILB and the Lions needs are at OLB especially with the uncertainty of Folletts return and losing Peterson. Whether or not Jones can be converted to OLB is a good question.
    I think trying to trade down in first round could get you an extra 2nd rounder say with Bucs,Pats,Jets. If we can come out of this draft with: OLB Bruce Carter(1st@20th*),CB Brandon Harris,or Ras I Dowling,Javon House(2nd@12th*),C/G John Moffitt (2nd@19*),and RB Stevan Ridley,Jamie Harper or Darren Evans with (3rd*),and a tough physical slot receiver with the fourth rounder or a project OT to eventually take over for Backus(but I think address OT in first round next year in this scenario).
    * denotes trading first round pick with Tampa and giving:our3rd for their2nd,Our 4th for their 3rd, Our 5th for their 4th.(giving us 2 second round picks)I’ve calculated this with the point system it works out good with Tampa still owing us 4 points.