Pouncey and Romeus Visit Lions’ Facility

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on March 17, 2011 – 2:13 pm

Today’s visiting draft prospects included Florida C Mike Pouncey and Pittsburgh DE Greg Romeus.

Pouncey has received a significant amount of attention relating to his twin brother, Maurkice, who is the starting C for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Said Pouncey of his brother, “We’re fierce competitors, obviously. Everything he accomplished I want to do the same thing and even better. I know I’m a great player and I’m just hoping to be one of the top guys taken this year.”

The brothers went to Florida together, with Maurkice entering the NFL Draft one year before Mike. With the absence of Maurkice, Mike moved to center after playing guard for the previous three seasons.

His hope is to be drafted as a center.

Pouncey on his first college game at center: “I knew all the line calls, it was just tough after the first game. I went out and had a bad game. I felt like crap. I told myself when I left the locker room I’d never play like that again. Since that game I had a great season.”

As for his impressions of Detroit, Pouncey says he had a good visit.

Pouncey: “I loved the facilities, it’s a nice town and I just love the whole visit, meeting with the coaching staff and everyone.”

Romeus was a three-year starter at Pittsburgh before he suffered a torn ACL and sat out the majority of the 2010 season. He had 19 career sacks with the Panthers and considers himself a tough player who likes to get to the quarterback.

Romeus: “The Lions’ defense is much different compared to other defenses that I’ve seen. It works. I love the way their scheme is presented with the way they’re playing and just the hustling that they have on the field. It would be a great fit for me.”

Romeus played just one season of high school football, but considers his lack of time playing the game a strength rather than a weakness.

“I don’t have too many bad habits and my body is still fresh,” he said. “I think it helps me – I’ll be able to soak up the new things that I learn.”

39 Responses to “Pouncey and Romeus Visit Lions’ Facility”

1. By sal on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

I Agree with the coach & the lions picking the best available player, they have done a great job thru Free Agency & the draft the last 2 years… if the CB is not available(Prince) they should look at Cameron Jordan(DE) great edge rusher or Jimmy Smith(CB) & SECOND ROUND look at either Pouncey for the (OL) for many years to come or if he lasts till the Lions 2nd round pick… the steal of the draft Justin Houston(DE/LB) GREAT EXPLOSION,GREAT SPEED OFF THE EDGE.this kid would be a monster in this scheme along Suh! go Lions i am not afraid to say it PLAYOFFS THIS YEAR(2011)

2. By jesse james on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

would like us to trade down 5 spots an pick up an extra second pick an then take pouncey in the first round an jimmy smith in the second

3. By Ryan on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

you can tell how well these new draft choices love our defensive style and that is a good thing to hear and I hope you draft pouncey cause we need a bit better offinsive line,but still even if we don’t get another offensive linemen we will still do good

4. By Tom Miles on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Pouncey maybe in the 3rd or 4th round. I heard he is not even close to his brother that plays on the Steelers

5. By Lion Mike on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Tom – Pouncy is going to be a mid 1st to very early 2nd round pick. There is no way he is available in mid rounds. I’m hoping the Lions find a way to trade back with NE, SD or SEA for an additional pick and then draft Pouncy. That is only if Prince isn’t available at 13. Prince or Pouncy in rd 1. Bruce Carter in rd 2. John Moffit, Mason Foster or Kendrick Burney in rd 3 (depending on what we do in rd 1) .

6. By Tom Miles on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Ds win super bowls!!

7. By Jordan on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

lets get the badass players!

8. By JOSH on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Lion Mike,

That is exactly what I was thinking. I also think that is what Martin Mayhew & Co. are thinking also. Except for round 3. Imo, they could draft Demarco Murray running back oklahoma in the 3rd round.

9. By john on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Miles is TOTALLY right: Ds win super bowls: like the Lions of old.

10. By Tom Miles on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Like the Streelers, Packers, and D is the only reason the Jets are so close, their O is not as good as the Lions.

11. By DMANDLIONS on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Bring Back Fowler #18

12. By Djay on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Bruce Carter won’t go in the 2nd round he was just an ok talent before his injury. with his injury he’ll be lucky to go in the 3rd round. He seems to be someone you take a chance on 4th rd or later only.

13. By Lion Mike on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

I’m all for building the D, but I’m not sure who would be available at 13 that would not be a reach and would be an immediate starter…

14. By Darren on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

For one Pouncey will probobly get taken by the steelers in the first round because of his brother.. and 2 i believe we should go defense. Like I said before I think we have a solid D-line. I think we need LB’s and DB’s

15. By Ralpheal Jackson on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

Yeah we could certainly use a corner of someone for the o-line. I wouldn’t be disapointed if they draft someone for the d-line to start learning under vets like Kyle Vanden Bosch

16. By Richard on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

It’s a fact, we do need LBs and DBs. We either need to trade forward so we can draft Amukamara or trade back and get someone on the O-Line since there will be many options around pick 20 or so. I’m not convinced that there’s an O-Lineman worthy of pick 13 in this draft, there’s no clearcut best player at OT.

17. By Lance Manly on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

Pouncey – ah… why do I hesitate? Well, reason; rarely are brothers equally good.

Mannings; Eli is far behind Payton, even though they both have a ring.

Barbers; both were very good.

and… that’s about it that jumps to mind. One brother is normally the beast of the family; and at this point all indications are it is his Pro Bowl brother.

Sure; a spare center would be nice, but let’s not over pay for his brother’s name. I could be wrong, but I wouldn’t pick him till the 3rd round maybe, if he is there in the 4th then sure; why not.

The other defensive end spent the entire last season injured; probably could pass on him also.

18. By Tom Miles on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

D wins!!!!

19. By ken on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

if you wanna win now you need to draft a offence line player… If you draft Pouncey, draft him as a guard and keep him at that position. Your QB has a lot of potential but not from his back…gotta get the ball down the field, therefore you need pass protection ..second round look for a DB or DE

Look what Green Bay dose… draft and develop…

20. By jojo on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

cornerback jimmy smith 6’2 and 4.45 speed offenses rarely threw his way offenes threw more at the other top two corners. i think this corner is the real steal of the draft.

21. By douglas on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

i’ve changed my thinking pouncey must be drafted by the lions, he can play two positions but primarily replace rioala who was terrible last year and get a tackle in the later rounds or free agents 1st. round pick should be j.j. watt

22. By Robert on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

Romeus is a great value in the third/fourth rounds. He has some great habits on the field and could eventually replace KVB as the unofficial player-coach. Great prospect.

23. By eric on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

douglas , O-tackles are more valueable than center or guards , no way you draft one of them and then grab a tackle later , there wont be any tackles left that are worth anything .

24. By Randy St. Laurent on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

If Pouncey grades out high draft him. We were ranked 8th running off tackle. 29th between the tackles. Pouncey can play any of the three interrior spots and at 6’3 310 is a big center. I expect the Lions to continue to get bigger on the interrior and in a couple years Pouncey will move from RT (replaces Peterman) to Center when Railoa is done.

Mike Iupati went at 12 I think last year. No OLB or CB rank at the 13 spot. We are deep at Dline, that would be a waste. If we can’t trade back, I don’t have a problem taking Pouncey at 13. I do like Brandon Harris too. But at pick 13, I’d take Pouncey, he has a bigger impact than Harris would.

25. By ILL Lion on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

Lance – If Mike Pouncy is 80% of the player his brother is…he will still be better than Rioala or Petterman. Most people on here are talking about building the defense, which I agree with 100%. The only problem is any defensive player of need is a big reach at #13. Ayers, Smith, Harris are all late 1st early 2nd round players.

26. By Lion Mike on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

DJAY – Not to be argumentative, but I completely disagree with you on Carter. Had it not been for his knee injury, he’d be in the conversation of best LB in the draft with Von Miller. His knee injury hurt his draft stock, but if look at scouts inc and any other scouting agency, Carter has worked his way back from the 3rd round to early 2nd and possibly late 1st passing Ayers.

27. By S.J.D. on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

Douglas

Raiola had a pretty decent season.. its Peterman that needs to go… he had the most penalties in the league for in offensive linemen and quite often drew a false start that lost the game for the lions.

Richard

I completely agree. We either need to trade up for Peterson or Amukamara or we should trade back for a later first round and a second round. Then we need to spend our first round on one of those offensive linemen that can develop and take the spot of our aging offensive line

28. By AJARPA on Mar 19, 2011 | Reply

SJD i totally agree that peterman has to go. the one thing that held the Lions back the most in those close games was penaltys, and peterman topped the list. next would be bad calls by refs, but we wont go there…

29. By Preston on Mar 19, 2011 | Reply

DETROIT fixed the LG spot by getting Sims from Seattle, it made Riola better and Backus. I have mentioned before if they want the most improvement for the oline they need to come back to the other side and draft a dominate RG to help Riola more and Gosder or Hillard in the RT slot…this gives you the most improvement on the Oline. Backus has one year left coming off his best season ever…they can work him another year or two until they come into a solution if needed, they also have Jason Fox in the wings, you can’t count him out before they know what they have in him, I know their high on him and so am I. I’m all about getting a dominate RG…and someone else said Jimmy Smith…yes I agree he is the steal of the draft…him and Quinn are the best players in the whole draft.

30. By Dragonbite on Mar 19, 2011 | Reply

hey—- offense yea i know defense is important but a offensive player would do us better.we need guys that can protect the qb.we’ve been hurting in that area.the longer the offense is on the field the better chance of winning.

31. By Preston on Mar 19, 2011 | Reply

I personally think if Detroit drafts Oline in the first round they need to take the best RG. We shored up the left side of the line with Sims when we got him from Seattle and it made Backus and Riola a lot better, now come back to the opposite side of the line and shore up the line helping Riola more and Gosder. Everyone who is crying that our Oline needs help needs to be crying for a RG because it’s the weakest link on our Oline and it would make the biggest improvement. At least acknowledge the fact that it would make the biggest impact and stop crying for a LT. Everyone wants to establish the LT as the more important postion on the Oline…it’s the guards who make the difference! If Pouncey is elite, I would not be ashamed if Detroit took him at 13, but a trade down would be great picking up Pouncey and a exstra second rounder….possibly Jimmy Smith in the second…but that won’t happen because he’s the best CB in this draft and someone is going to see the talent in him just like the Titans seen Chris Johnson’s talent though he was project to go in the second round.

32. By Thomas Spann on Mar 19, 2011 | Reply

Bosch and Suh improved the the entire D, Sims improved the left side of the O line, so a dominate RG would improve that side of the line. I’ve been waiting a very long time for the lions to become one of the big boys, I believe my wait is over.

33. By eric on Mar 19, 2011 | Reply

Pouncey would really upgrade the o line..But like i said if mark Ingram is there u gotta take this guy..

34. By roger on Mar 19, 2011 | Reply

This years draft is going to be very different then in years past. With no CBA teams are not going to have free agency to plug guys in going into the draft. With many teams having gapping holes in thier depth charts you are not going to see very many trades where you would have to give up multiple picks to move up. Also, no players are allowed to be traded for picks this year. Get the best player you can at 13 and hope he pans out.

35. By Matt on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Trade up to 5 or 6 ahead of 49ers if Peterson falls past pick #4. It would be worth us giving up the 13th overall and say our second rd pick for Peterson and a 3rd or 4th round pick. If Peterson is taken top four then we need to drop back a few slots and draft Jimmy Smith and pick up an extra pick. I don’t see any great outcome from us staying 13. Not a huge fan of Prince.

36. By bz on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

u ppl r crazy. defensive front needs no attention. r u ppl out there saying outside suh, we need to replace avril, vanden bosch, c.williams?? best available within reason ppl. go o line first rd. there is no lb or db worth taking at 13. who u gonna take? j.smith whom has character issues. tryed that in the past cough..c.rogers…cough..cough… were not that old lions team anymore. trade up for p.peterson, p.amukamara. stay put at 13 t.smith, or a.castonzo if we trade down: t.smith, or a.castonzo & m.pouncey. pouncey won’t be available after 1st rd. guaranteed. why am i saying back to back o line? gee, cuz stafford got hurt back to back years and jahvid got hurt. NO MORE PENALTIES!! NO MORE INJURIES!!!! NO MORE O-LINE CONCERNS!!!!!!! THE LIONS TIME IS NOW AND THEY GOT TO GET IT DONE. DET NEEDS A LB, A DB, ANOTHER RB THAT’S IT. U CAN’T ADDRESS EVERYTHING IN ONE OFF-SEASON. LOOK HOW WELL THE LIONS DID LAST YR. THEY HAD GAMES TAKE AWAY FROM THEM. week 1 megatrons td taken away, week 2 lost by a fg against philly, week 3 was a loss 10-44 vikings, beat the rams, almost won against g-men 20-28, bye week, beat redskins, loss against jets final few mins., loss by two against buffalo.. buffalo!! loss against dallas, killed against new england, loss against chi by 4, beat gb, miami, tb, minnesota for a nice finish. tally it up….. lions could have gone 13-3 play off bye am i wrong? det is not missing much. after first two rds we don’t trade up get o line trade up get b.harris. wide receiver i can see y some ppl may think that needs to get addressed. megatron always getting double teamed. nate did a great job along with pettigrew. it wouldn’t make much sense to go get a cam jordan. what would u do with vanden bosch, avril.

37. By Ted on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

Pouncey is a must get at the 13 spot….He can be groomed to replace Riaola while upgrading the RG by a bunch…a big plus for the inside running game…The D-Line was rebuilt last yr. ….. Time to do the same with the O-Line…….

38. By jeremy on Mar 26, 2011 | Reply

i think we should get carami with the first round pick,, hes solid as could be started alot of games so he no crybaby, may be able to start at LT from day one but if not then he definatly could start at RT or something, in my opinion he is the only safe pick with the OT’s , im also not opposed in trading down a few spots and geting M Pouncy, pocketing another second rd pick, maybe even taking both of those seconds and trading back into the late first to get a cb or another defence guy

39. By Dave on Mar 27, 2011 | Reply

It all comes down to who is available at 13. If Prince falls to that spot I will be as elated as I was last year when the Rams took Bradford over Suh. If he is not there at 13 I hope the Lions look into trading down with the Patriots. The Pats need DL help and could get a quality end at 13. This could give the Lions an opputunity to draft Pouncey at 17 and Jimmy Smith at 33. I do trust this organization completely when looking at their decisions in the last two offseasons and I am hoping they dont get sucked in to drafting a LT like Solder or Castonzo