Schwartz, Lewand Address the Draft and Free Agency

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on March 21, 2011 – 4:44 pm

NFL Owners Meetings began today in New Orleans, giving Head Coach Jim Schwartz and Team President Tom Lewand an opportunity to talk about the team and where it is headed.

Currently, Schwartz and the front office are in the midst of hosting visits from draft prospects. Last week, Detroitlions.com confirmed the visits of CB Prince Amukamara (Nebraska), DE Cameron Jordan (UCLA), LB Bruce Carter (North Carolina), C Mike Pouncey (Florida), DE Greg Romeus (Pittsburgh) and WR Torrey Smith (Maryland).

Said Schwartz of the player visits, “A lot of guys we have to check where their physicals are, that’s really the No. 1 reason we’re bringing (them) in.”

Player visits are all part of the overall picture that also includes: “What they do in game tape in the fall, what they do at the combine, what they do at the all-star game, what their pre-draft physicals look like, their interviews at the combine, our discussions with the players going forward (and) their personal workout days,” said Schwartz.

Despite not having players in the building, the coaching staff is still busy with draft preparation.

“Coaches are always going to find ways to fill their time and it just puts more emphasis on our draft preparation,” said Schwartz.

As draft preparation continues, free agency remains on hold.

How the team is approaching that, said Lewand, is to be ready for any scenario that may arise.

Lewand: “We’re as ready as we can be for every contingency that we can foresee at this point. We’ve been planning that way for a long time now. I think whatever the rules dictate, we’ll be ready to go; whatever those are, we’ll adjust. Consistent with our philosophy to have a plan based on whatever rules are in place, and in formulating that plan, be ready for as many different possible outcomes, as many different possible permutations of the rules as we can and then be ready to go.”

20 Responses to “Schwartz, Lewand Address the Draft and Free Agency”

1. By Leonard Carter on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

I just want this all gone! Let me negotiate this 9 billion dollar debate! I’ll divide it up evenly I swear! Anything to get back to football business.

2. By scott on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

BRING IN THE REPLACEMENTS!!…While ppl dig out more taxes and more money so the owners and players can make more money,us fans utimately pay the price for their greed. Does our economy need this? Hell no it doesnt.This affects millions..bring the scabs back and F the millionaire atheletes and the billionaire owners..I’m just sayin

3. By Adam Estep on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

I see no information on efforts to bring down our number one nemisis in 2010 season; Penalties!

I love Matt Stafford and believe he can be among the best that have played the game; however as much as I like him, if he is knocked out due to injury this coming season (For the shoulder) we must make the hard choice and get rid of him in favor of the money and hunt for someone that can stay healthy. I whish you the best Matt! But the team comes first!

A thick and thin fan to the end!

Adam

4. By BRAD CRUICSHANK on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

SUH IS THE MOST EXCITING PLAYER SINCE BARRY SANDERS. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE ANOTHER BIG TIME RUNNING BACK AGAIN BE DRAFTED. THE RUNNING GAME HAS HAD NO EXCITEMENT. I LIKE BEST A LOT BUT DONT THINK HE CAN DO 30 CARRIES A GAME -LUV HIM IN THE PASSING GAME & ON SCREENS

BRAD

5. By eric on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

Wow the great Stafford debate goes on..if we have a season..i cannot wait for this one..we wanna win..no question bout that..I know OL is not a sexy pick..but if we are serious about building a top notch line..a young athletic Lineman would be great..Im not so worried about the qb position..cause we have 3 that can win games,most teams cant say that..On the other hand prince..would be a great pick also..he would give the secondary some pop..We need another runner.a linebacker or 2..would be nice 2 see Matt pass for 3000 yards 30 tds..play every snap…take the Lions out the blue 2 the superbowl win it…make the pro-bowl. 2 make that happen we need 2 make the Oline as formidible as our dline Keep the goons off our guy..We wanna run the ball..pound teams..an with a cold 3rd receiver..teams would hate 2 see us..

6. By terry putman on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

As well as u guys have been drafting the last couple of years I can only imagine what this year is gonna b like now that u can devote almost a 100 percent of ur attention to it. Love me some lions football-this is our year! Long over due but its almost here. GOLIONS!!!

7. By Burt on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

Been a Lions fan since 1956, I live and die with the boys and have done alot of dying since Barry left!! I have high hopes for this group of players and coaches. Please keep the good decisions coming. DOWN THE FIELD WE GO—– A LIONS VICTORY!!!!!!

8. By Burt on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

Tyron Smith—Brandon Harris—-Bruce Carter would be nice!!!!

9. By Dante on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

we need to get Prince!

10. By chris on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

trade up to get the fresh prince of nebraska!!! i want him BADDD!!!

11. By Terry on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

I would like to see lions trade up in draft to get Von Miller period

12. By mark on Mar 25, 2011 | Reply

I still say Quinn in the first and I would like to maybe trade up in the second and try to get pouncy however you spell it. We need more help at center and guard then we do at tackle. There were no holes for Best to run through. However I do still like paea at least strength isn’t a question hahahaha. He maybe a more reasionable pick if we trade up in the second.

13. By kirk on Mar 26, 2011 | Reply

trade our 1st and 3rd trade up get pat paterson our defense would b the best in the league then then take our second round and get pouncy and well b a playoff team ohh yea tell stafford to stay heathy toooo!!!

14. By Don on Mar 26, 2011 | Reply

Sometimes I wonder if the Fans that come here and ask for the release of Stafford are just Fans from one of our divisional Foe’s. That would love for the Lions to make the awefull mistake of letting him go so that they could pick him up! And what Great Rookie QB is there out there that is Better than Stafford?
    I agree with the Fan that Know’s that we have 3 Great QB’s and that we can win with any of them. And When Stafford does stay healthy He is Going to win us a SuperBowl! Leave the QB situation the way that it is. There is NO problem with it the way it is. We have other issue’s that are way more pressing.

15. By Don on Mar 26, 2011 | Reply

I would Love to get Prinde Amukamara for our Corner Position. and it would help our defence Like right now!
    However, If Mike Pouncy out of Florida would be better at the Guard Position than Penalty Peterson, Then he would also Make a great Fit! I agree with mark when he talk’s about Needing a new Guard. However with the Center position I believe that we are better off staying with Dominic Raiola. It is a Lot harder than you would think to bring an OLINE Together that Knows one another and works well together. The Center Position is Like the Catcher position in Baseball, They Both control the TEAM. You might want to pick one up and start preparing him for the future, However you don’t want to just bring one in and replace the one that know’s how everything runs. Replacing the Center takes time. Allthough Pouncy did step in at Florida and took control the first year.
    However i don’t think it would be that easy in the NFL. “?”

16. By kris on Mar 27, 2011 | Reply

would really like to see the lions wiuth pouncey he can solidify our o line but chances are the lions will take the ot from colorado hell get hurt then traded

17. By Burt on Mar 27, 2011 | Reply

If the Prince is still there,at 13, ok. I dont think he will be , so we go for Tyron Smith. I would also like to see Bruce Carter in a Lion’s uniform!!!!!

18. By Dave on Mar 27, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Don… Conginuity on the offensive line is essential for our offense and Raiola knows his role in that respect. I do think that Mike Pouncey would be a terrific addition because we could address a immediate need at right guard, which Pouncey played before his brother left Florida early. If he lives up to his potential Pouncey might be able to take over the center duties when Raiola calls it quits. I do wonder whether or not we could trade down a few picks to the Patriots in order to get another pick in the 2nd or 3rd round

19. By mark on Mar 28, 2011 | Reply

I am glad you agree with me about the guard position Don. What do you think about Quinn? I am picking him as my break out player if he goes to the right team that is. I just think he would be a great fit for our defense his dip when he rushes the egde is the lowest I have seen. He is a disruptive force like Sue. I do trust the Lions to make good picks a little nervous all the teams have soooo much time now to concentrate on the draft it will be harder to get good players. If Quinn does fall I just hope the Lions don’t pass on him and then he ends up being a awsome player. I would hate to say I told you so.

20. By Spoony on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

Ok so LB, CB, OT and maybe WR this draft eh? Dont forget free agency. Two names on DB, Champ Bailey and Nnamdi Asomugha, which I prefer because he is younger. There are 4 or 5 good CB’s this draft. I prefer take a known quality at this position. If Prince is there, be hard pressed to pass on him as he has the intangibles from what little interviews I saw in addition to physical talent and stature. At LB I love JJ Watt. That said Akeem Ayers may be there in the 2nd round, but even while saying that I hope the Lions go after BC LB Herzlich, even with the risk from having fought and beat cancer. Mental toughness, right attitude, tough as nails. The intangible he brings to your team alone is worth a top 3 pick. That said, I make him my LB draft 3rd round pick. So now I have DB and LB taken care of. I need a WR and a OT. Here I take the OT first round in Tyron Smith. In receiver I go for Titus Young from Boise State. I have gotten 4 positions addressed in 3 picks and a FA acquistion, all top notch guys. I could have gone sexier for sure but… this is nuts and bolts TEAM building.