RB DeMarco Murray, DE Aldon Smith Visit Lions

Posted by Tara Altman on March 28, 2011 – 1:34 pm

Today’s visiting draft prospects included Oklahoma RB DeMarco Murray and Missouri DE Aldon Smith.

With Detroit being the first visit for Murray, he felt the whole process went well, especially meeting with running backs coach Sam Gash, who Murray says he can easily envision playing for in the future.

Murray on his impressions of the coaching staff: “Each meeting that I’ve had so far, I thought, went really well. Coach Gash is a great guy, definitely seems like someone I could play for and someone that can relate to his players. He’s done it first hand, he’s been a part of it and knows and understands what it means to be a running back and a fullback.”

While Murray feels he’d be a good compliment to Lions’ RB Jahvid Best in the backfield, he’s also confident that he would add value on special teams with his elusiveness and speed.

Murray on his skill set: “I’m someone that can not only run the ball, but also catch the ball out of the backfield, line up at the receiver spot anywhere, pick up blitzes and do well on special teams – wherever they put me I’ll excel and help the team out.”

Detroit marks the second visit for Smith, who especially enjoyed getting the opportunity to sit down with defensive line coach Kris Kocurek.

Smith: “I definitely like coach Kris Kocurek, our meeting went well and I would love to play out here. He showed me how the d-line attacks everything and I really like their style.”

Smith expressed a genuine interest towards the Lions’ defensive system and feels it would be a perfect fit.

Smith on the Lions’ defensive system: “I think I could get out and unleash everything. As far as everyone hustling to the ball, we watched a lot of cut-ups (of Lions’ film) and oh man, they get after it. Everybody gets after it and you can see why they got 40 sacks, the way that everyone just runs to the ball regardless of how much you weigh, everybody gets to the ball.”

17 Responses to “RB DeMarco Murray, DE Aldon Smith Visit Lions”

1. By Tom Miles on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

To me, Mr Smiith seems small for aa DL in the NFL

2. By Darren on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

Well it seems to me with all of these DL’s comming to visit, we are planning to draft one in the first round… i really dont see the need in DL’s.. but i guess if we can get alot for Cliff Avril then why not?

3. By Noah on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

The reason they are bringing in so many DL is that they want a constant rotation of lineman getting after the ball every play non-stop instead of just having the starters in the whole game and having them get tired by the fourth quarter.

4. By Ryan Stanfield on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

Detroit needs to draft an offensive lineman in the first round. Keeping Stafford healthy is crucial to their success. Once the lockout is over then sign TALENT to key areas. Those areas being cornerback and linebacker.

5. By Bob on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

Best and Murray would be nice to have together, similar skill sets I think.

6. By pelle on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

who wants to get rid of avril theirs no way hes going anywere

7. By dome on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

smoke and mirrors, they’re going OT first round. There is a high priorty to do everything in there power to keep Stafford on the field. Plus there is a few good ones to choose from. Finnaly i think the lions figured it out, stock your offensive and defensive lines, and the rest will fall into place.

8. By ROBT. L on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

DeMarco Murray mmmmm,Iknow DB`s, you can get a dime a dozen, but a shut-down corner could help the Defense, or maybe a DL like the guy from Wisconsin, J.J.(KILLA) WATTS, or maybe CLAYBORN from IOWA

9. By ron on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

I wonder if smith or any of these grate DL can make it as a LB . If so with smith as LB and our D line bone crushen.

10. By TD on Apr 2, 2011 | Reply

Murray as a later round prospect makes a lot of sense and would upgrade our 1-2 punch at RB. Speed and power to compliment Best’s style would make him an ideal consideration. Once again though, is this just another smoke screen by Master Mind Mayhew?

Smith seems like another Avril clone with more speed, but it certainly going to garner some consideration if he slips to #13. MIght make sense in the long term as an eventual replacement for KVB and could learn from the veteran for a year or two.

11. By Looney Toon on Apr 3, 2011 | Reply

The way I see it is this. Defense wins Super Bowls and Offense manages the game. We probably will build depth on the defense this year through the draft. On offense we will probably grab another RB in the draft. Our O-line is getting old but is really starting to gel. I think we may start to add depth on the O-line with 4 to 7 year vets whenever free agency starts.

12. By Gator on Apr 3, 2011 | Reply

Murray yes in the later rounds, but at #13 either the corner from Nebraska if he falls to us or TYRON SMITH the road grater at Tackle

13. By Gator on Apr 3, 2011 | Reply

Also keep an eye on the guard from Penn State Wisnieski in the second round
    he can play either center or guard and we have to be able to run the football to be successful in this offense in order to keep Matthew healthy.

14. By paul nowak on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

i am 58 yrs young and i LOVE da lions no 1 thnx for the cooaches im starting to believe restore the roar in2011 good luck guys stafford 2 calvin td allday give me something to smile about haha

15. By Jeremy on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Smith is very athletically gifted but I would not take him at #13… Best is to get either Bowers or Quinn – they r worth the 13 and with Suh and Vandenbosh – that line is scary…
    As for Murray, better with John Clay or Leshoure – need lots of power to complement Best – don’t need a scat back

16. By Aldon Fan on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

Aldon Smith looks like the best valued pick here. As for size at DE, who needs it? Not Dwight Freeney or Elvis Dumervil or any other so called “under-sized” defenders. This guy has SPEED and gets off the line QUICK, and he looks like he’s not afraid of the weight room. The kid has some guns. CB’s and OL and LB’s will have great value in the later rounds. I suggest Ras-I Dowling, Gabe Carimi, Casey Matthews, Greg Salas(WR/Haw), Greg Little(WR/UNC), Demarco Murray. Can’t have ‘em all, but a couple would be really helpful to the progression of this up-and-coming(PLEASE!!!!) team.

17. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 3, 2012 | Reply

Aldon Smith was the player I wanted.