RB Mikel Leshoure Visits Lions’ Facility

Posted by Tara Altman on March 29, 2011 – 1:31 pm

Today the Detroit Lions hosted draft prospect Mikel Leshoure.

The 6-0, 230 pound running back out of Illinois enjoyed the opportunity to meet with the Lions’ coaching and front office staff, noting that they made him feel welcomed in what has been a sometimes overwhelming experience.

Leshoure: “This whole experience, starting from the combine, has been a lot. Some of the process has been a little overwhelming, but for the most part it has been a dream come true. It’s something that I’ve always wanted to be a part of since I was a little boy and to finally be living my dream is very exciting.”

After a productive junior season in 2010 at Illinois, breaking the single-season school record with 1,697 rushing yards and 17 touchdowns, Leshoure opted to declare for the draft and is confident that he has plenty to offer an NFL offense.

Leshoure: “I think I can bring versatility and leadership to an offense, especially for my position. I feel like I can run in between the tackles, but I can also run outside of the tackles and hit the perimeters at times to make guys miss.

“I think the thing that sets me apart from the other running backs is my ability to catch the ball. Whether it’s swing routes, or five- 10-yard routes, or even downfield, I’m very confident with my hands.”

If Leshoure were given the opportunity to come to Detroit, he’d be thrilled to play alongside second-year RB Jahvid Best, who he’s watched throughout college.

Leshoure: “I definitely know the way he plays. He’s a real flashy, fast guy; he makes guys miss and I definitely think I could be a compliment to him and his style.”

42 Responses to “RB Mikel Leshoure Visits Lions’ Facility”

1. By Tom Miles on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

I think he would be a good add on to the team but not #1. Save their #1 for a
    LB or DB

2. By willie woods on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

if you get in the second round why not.

3. By Tom Miles on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

I agree

4. By S.J.D. on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

why not? well maurice morris was productive for the most part as a back up for injuries… we’ve spent enough draft picks on running backs… we need to concentrate heavily on our defense

5. By Woody Douglas on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

We do need another back,230lbs. would have the big back we need. 1st round should be DB or OL. LIONS need to be able to run the ball. clock time on offence is the key it all. RB 3rd rounder.

6. By lionmike on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

Being from IL, I have watched this kid play and he is legit. He’s better now than Mendenhall was when he was at IL. I wouild love to see him play for the Lions, but I’d be pretty bummed if we take a RB in the 1st round, again. I’m hoping for Prince at 13, but if he isn’t there…a trade back and get Pouncy, Carmini or Jimmy Smith. Then a guy like Bruce Carter in round 2.

7. By Christian Latham on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

We have jahvid best who as long as he stays healthy is amazing! We need to use our picks on defense for positions that need work like DB or LB.

8. By Tom Miles on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

D wins championships

9. By Ron on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

Last time I checked we had a big back that was pretty good, but we never used him named Jerome Felton. I honestly believe if we gave him more carries, he’d only do better. He’s a solid back IMO.

10. By The J-man on Mar 29, 2011 | Reply

He sounds legit.. Could definitely add yet even more fire power to the Lions offense. Hopefully moves are made to get a bigtime blocker or two before a new RB or WR are added to the roster though. The Lions and the Lions’ fans desperately need a “fire power” athlete on the D though.. The pass rush is almost perfect… TIME TO CAPITALIZE!

11. By Darren on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

I will be so disapointed if the Lions take a RB in the first round… we better take a DB, LB, or a OT!

12. By Kyle Brehm on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

Really simple Tryon Smith, Bruce Carter, than best WR, CB or LeShoure

13. By pelle on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

if we take a running back we might have a chance to get over 100 yards on the ground each game a 230 pound back chould beat up most lines plus it whould take some pressure off staferd who ever we get will win the north hands down this team is good

14. By james on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

I was a lion’s fan sence I was seven years old. even when i didn’t understand football at the time. but my favorite color was blue, THat just when I was little. but the real matter is this. I believe if you love something you should never turn away from it. the mean anything and everthing. when the lion’s when 0-16 I still had hope for them. that what you do. no matter if they struggle to win games. if your are a lion’s fan you need to been with them all the way just like you are with your children. when I was playing all the football games and yes I pick the detroit lions. get all kinds of comment. why you pick the lion’s, don’t get the lions. are you sure you want the lion. but those same people are rocking lion’s caps, shirt, color, and more. I just hope those same people was talking bad about the lion’s. The will do what’s best for the lions!!!

15. By LanceManly on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

#2 RB over all… Yeah… I’d take him.

Look Smith is gone… we can keep him… but why? Odds are he goes to anyone willing to give him a 2-3 yr contract.

Best is great; but double turf toe may hinder him for another year. I think that injury ended Woodson’s career; and Testaverde had that multiple years it seemed.

That leaves us with Aaron Brown.. who is small and only effective on trick plays; and Maurice Morris – good but older.

Yes, take this RB if available – a bruiser inside and Best; a true 1-2 punch. Pick up a Tackle / LB / CB in 2nd and 3rd rounds. Face it; on LB Lions need a Free Agent; Cornerbacks need to sign Houston; but without a run game – too much preasure on any of our QBs.

16. By LanceManly on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

Let me further qualify RB; I’d take either #1 or #2 RB.

To support my arguement; look at Vikings; they took Adrian Peterson (after we took Calvin) even though they already had a 1,000 yrd rusher in Chester Taylor.

Stick with what has been working – take the BEST player available at #13; even if that is a RB.

Don’t draft by “position of need” – then, you’ll be reaching and be passing up good players; no… better players.

17. By bigbuck on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

This guy wont be picked at 13 anyway. One of the conners or O line guys will fall to us anyway. Mayhew and Swartz aren’t going to reach on one of the Running backs. If they realy needed a running back they would take the guy from Alabama. Mayhew has done a good enough job bringing in the top player that who ever realy needs a running back might try and move up so he can get extra picks. I think we need a guy who can move the pile but any of the guys who are in this draft you can get in the the 2nd to 4th round.

18. By steve b on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

he is not projected to be a first rounder so in the second would be great even if you move up in the second

19. By GMoney67 on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

I think a big, bruising RB is just as good as an O-lineman in regards to protecting the QB. If the other teams are scheming to stop Best and a bigger back, then the pressure is off of the O-line to block for Stafford. They’ll hold up better as the game goes on if they’re not pass blocking for 35-40 dropbacks. We missed out on AP, Matt Forte, Mendenhall, Michael Turner; all guys we had a shot at. We’ve also made the mistake, more than once, of relying on one back to carry the team (Sims, Sanders, Jones, Smith, and now Best) and burning him out. If he’s the best player available,we should take him.

20. By Tom Miles on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

The Lions need to kepp building their D, to add to Suh. That would make the DL awesome and we rest the older DLs

21. By Martin Stempien on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

What about Jerome Felton. Our Power Back

22. By Soulman45 on Mar 30, 2011 | Reply

No RB at the top of the draft unless it a can;t miss 1,300+yds per year he is not thier BPA if it make sense and will start do not wast a 13th pick in the first round.

23. By Micdd33 on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

There is no way there are going to take this guy with the 13th overall pick… this pick will only be made if we trade to later in the first or take him with our pick in the second rnd. or trade back into the first like we did for Best last year.

24. By dewalt2990 on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

Best and LeShoure running routes….sounds like a matchup nightmare for a couple unlucky LBs.

25. By Tom Miles on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

Agreed, but not for a #1, we need to bulid up the D

26. By Rocky Bass on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

Yeppers dewalt2990. Best and LeShoure in the backfield with double Big tight ends. What a headache for any defense, then toss in the big wide outs in rotation to keep fresh fast legs.
    I agree we need O & D line but a guy that licks his chops at going between the tackles is a treat. ……………… If he can really do at the Pro level.

27. By Tom Miles on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

Rocky, D wins championships

28. By Chad on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

You gotta take BOP of our needs but in order if available! 1st-CB PRINCE , unless they trade up for P.Peterson/V.Miller ………..if gone then OT T. Smith to keep the d-line off Staffords back……………………if gone then DE J.J. Watt to learn under KVB…………………………………………..if gone trade back and take either RB’s Ingram or Leshoure, LB Ayers, C Pouncey, or CB Jimmy Smith! 2nd Rd Take Danny Watkins if we got Prince but if we take OL or DL in 1st then go with CB Brandon Harris ( Wouldn’t be against taking both corners in the first 2 rd’s) Also would love to see us draft one and give CB-Asamuga the money it would take to come here! 3rd RD Take either a LB if we haven’t yet or a BURNER to open up the feild for C.Johnson/Burleson/Pettigrew/Scheftler 4th RD and on BOP

29. By Tom Miles on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

In 2010 the Lions blocked alot better than before. only 26 sacks against them. In 2009, I think they had over 50.

30. By J.T. on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

If we only use 2 picks on offense, I hope it’s Leshoure and Titus Young.

31. By TD on Apr 2, 2011 | Reply

It’s obvious that we need to strengthen multiple positions in the back 7 of the defense, but unfortunately there won’t be anyone available at #13. This kid won’t be the pick that high either even if his talent does warrant consideration. It’s more likely he could be a target in the second or third round, but probably won’t last to either one of those picks. Can anyone say smoke screen by the Master Mind Mayhew? Remember folks, we never brought in Best last year and look how high the staff was on acquiring him…..

Bottom line is that LeShoure is a viable talent who would make our offense better, but do we have a pick that matches up with his value position in the draft?

32. By ca lionfan on Apr 2, 2011 | Reply

I was concerned that he did not speak of his blocking ability. A big RB could and should help protect Stafford when necessary. I agree that we need to add to the defense and also get an OT before we get another RB. Each year there seems to be a few backs who were released due to age who are still able to be productive and can be signed.

33. By Tom Miles on Apr 2, 2011 | Reply

I just hope the Lions get someone that help push them to the playoffs

34. By charlie on Apr 2, 2011 | Reply

Detroit has been losing games for decades because they haven’t had a pass rush or decent DB’s Its good to see them finally building a D but not there yet.

35. By EHarris on Apr 3, 2011 | Reply

In the first, theyre taking Watt if available, Ingram second, J. Smith third. Leshore maybe in second but he’ll be gone. Second round theyre taking marcus cannon, we need a guard worse then a tackle, I can name three tackles for the lions, can anybody name three guards? Please don’t say Jeff will play guard, stat wise he was one of the best in the league last year.

36. By BigNurseGuy on Apr 4, 2011 | Reply

A back like Leshoure is golden. We passed on game changer Adrian Peterson and he has singlehandedly made Minnesota a force on offense. Who has been a bigger impact on his team? Adrian or Calvin? Adrian! (I do love Calvin tho) LeShoure would wear a defense out like Adrian and that just makes our receivers that much more dangerous. Our D is fine and our blockers are adequate. Receivers are good. How can you not consider Leshoure? He will run defenses over, not to mention he can catch and block.. Best may not even be able to play at full speed. In my opinion we could really use this guy. Will he be there at 13? I hope so! I’d take him in a heartbeat.

37. By chris on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

the fresh prince according to mcshay will fall to us at 13. its either him or jimmy smith. mayhew is a former DB and he knows what hes looking for. i

38. By dan from wilson p.a. on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

We need defense first. cornerback actually. then we need offensive takle. third, we need a backfield banger. JOHN CLAY!

39. By joey Murdock on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

We really need to see what’s going to happen in free agency? lot of damn good ones out there could fill most needs then let the draft fall into place, I would grab Ingram what a one two punch with Best, OL in the 2nd back the brinks truck up to the corner in OAK and get him in detroit!! the draft is deep this year and we have a good chance of get’in some solid players in the latter rnds???

40. By Bruce Kennedy on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Very interesting, Here it is a month later and the Lions have picked. Their first pick was a D-Lineman from Auburn, Nick Farley. The Lions took Farley, a D-lineman, quite frankly no one thought Farley would fall that far. Some analysts are saying Farley is the best player, in the draft. Obviously that is up for debate. None the less the analysts are saying had the best pick, in the First Round. Next the Lions shocked, everyone, they took Titus Demetrius Young, out of Boise State. I guess they really need some speed to compliment Calvin and Nate. Of course, there are some, not many mind you, but some who are comparing T.D. to Deshaun Jackson, of the Eagles. Next, the Lions took the man you have all been talking aboutl, on this forum, MIkel Leshoure. And they traded up, to get him. They traded to get back into the second round. Now that is where we stand now, I don’t believe, because of the trade, the the Lions have any 4th or 5th round picks. But I believe they have a 6th and 7th round pick.

41. By Bruce Kennedy on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Let me edit my post quickly. On the line where I say ” None the less the analysts are saying (insert, “the Lions”) had the best pick, in the First Round”

42. By roger on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply