LB Akeem Ayers Visits Lions Facility

Posted by Tara Altman on April 5, 2011 – 11:47 am

UCLA linebacker Akeem Ayers visited the Detroit Lions’ training and practice facility today, marking the second visit for the draft prospect.

Ayers, who was voted by Detroitlions.com fans as the No. 1 player they wanted to see highlighted during the NFL Scouting Combine, enjoyed meeting with Lions’ coaches and has been impressed with the way the defense has evolved over the past two seasons.

Ayers: “They’re good coaches and they definitely know what they’re doing. I’ve already seen a lot of (Lions) football and the organization, especially from a defensive standpoint, and as a defensive player, has really gotten things together around here.”

After a successful three-year career for the Bruins, playing both defensive end and outside linebacker, Ayers offers a versatile skill set that has potential to fit well in Detroit’s defensive system.

Ayers: “I’ve pretty much been a sound 4-3 linebacker at UCLA and really started rushing the passer at the end of my Sophomore season and my Junior year. I bring a lot of versatility. I give the coaches a lot of different options, different ways to use me and just ways to make the defense better whether it’s keeping a linebacker on the field, instead of bringing a nickel (package) in, it basically gives the coaches a lot more options and a lot of hard play.”

32 Responses to “LB Akeem Ayers Visits Lions Facility”

1. By Tom Miles on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

What I have read about him is that he would be a high #1 or a low #2. we do
    need LBs to add to the D to make it bigger and fast. This man might them if they
    can trade down and get another #2 and #3

2. By roland rawwosn on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

i have to agree that he is not a number 13 pick in my book

3. By Danny on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

Only consider if hes in the 2nd round. SLB is more of a need than WLB. Palmer could fill in at WLB, but we have no one on the Strong Side.

4. By robert wehby on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

he sounds good and on paper he is virsitle.
    bot his speed is not good for a linebacker.
    4.80 in the 40 is ok for a de bot he would be the slowest linebacker on the lions if he was taken.
    he may play faster but i realy think he is to slow to be a linebacker.

5. By Tom Miles on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

But he is a good pass rusher too, the more we have, the less other teams
    can double team Suh

6. By fred on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

As far as linebacker goes this guy isnt a first round pick not for the lions anyway watch some of his interveiws he stumbles over his words a lot the lions have drafted charecter guys over the past few years i think hes going to be a bust get a linebacker in the third or fourth round

7. By Billy on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

we need this guy. we can get a cb in the 2nd. akeem is going to be like clay mathews, maybe even better because it seems like he has good coverage and run stopping abilities

8. By Paul on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

not worth the 13th pick in my opinion.. to much money invested for a player that has question marks.. Trade the pick move down then grab Ayers. Or just grab one of the elite O lineman 13th and wait for Ayers in the second round

9. By Paul on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

Really What was Ayers benchpress at the compine? 185 ten times. Lol. Whatever it was it wasnt good. Pass

10. By Tom Miles on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

I think Ayers is better than we have now, and bigger

11. By BrentFlocka11 on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

Forget That Where Getting De’Quan Bowers And thats Final..

12. By BlackLion on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

What happened to everyone wanting Amukamara, I think we should take him and if hes not there then trade back for ayers and a later round pick………..2nd round improve the o-line…………there are also many opportunities in free agency, whenever it comes around

13. By Lion Mike on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

I think Ayers is a stretch at 13, but they want to get to know him in case Prince is gone and we are able to trade back later in the round. Or possibly if he slips to us in the 2nd round. I’d be shocked if he was the pick at 13.

14. By jeremy on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

yeah i think i remember something about his bench not being very good, a good talent but hes gonna be late first round i think. i always said i think at 13 should be gabe carimi hes the only true LT played all years at that position pretty much injury free and zero off the field problems other LTs in the draft have played other positions and are less polished and more of a project. trade down or get carimi

15. By Zoltan on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

I haven’t heard anything good about Ayers. He certainly had a poor showing at the Combine. I would much rather take a guy like Mason Foster in the second round, or possibly Bruce Carter, though he is coming off an injury, and didn’t have great production in college.

16. By LanceManly on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Unless our coaches see something 90% of the league didn’t.. then, Akeem is a streatch at 13.

He’s projected everywhere to go after 20… so unless we’re trading down for a pair of picks; then go with Best Available Player

17. By Darren Hensley on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

I believe that he would be a great fit and a player that will come in and do it all. In the combined he looked good i believe his footwork and body movement were a lot like von miller if not better. There o-line is solid the d-line would be the best front four in the game if they could stay on sides. Akeem would take pressure of the to big guys on the line plus off the secondary. Hes a game changer

18. By Tom Miles on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

I agree with that, I did not say take him at #13, I just aaid he is better than what
    we have now.

19. By Lions 101 on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

I think alot of people forget Schwart and Mayhew draft by BPA so its next to ipposible to guess what hey will do. Ayers has slipped a ton and from what I can tell he’s not the guy they are looking for with there first pick. When free agency happens they will probably try to fill this need there or grab a LB in the 2nd or 3rd round. Oline and CB are bigger needs but if a top 10 guy slippes like Bowere, JJ Watt or Amukamera they are going after that guy. Reaching has done nothing for the Lions so I feel there is no way they take Ayers unless they move down and he is in fact the BPA at that point. Plus with all the QB needs and no free agency other teams will be reaching for QB’s in the first 10 picks.

20. By Jeremy on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Too slow. The Lions would be stupid to take him at #13… Maybe, if slips to the second round

21. By davefromtoronto on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

After watching tonnes of videos, bruce carter is way better than ayers. I really hope this is mayhew’s smoke screen. Please do not take ayers at 13. If prince is not there… OT or Jimmy smith, who in my opinion is better than prince. I’ve watched so many videos over the last couple of weeks lol

22. By cj obryant on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

well really we dont need anything but to take this young man at the 13th pick..With him palmer,levy,and carpenter that is a very good and fast linebacker core.. Get a db in second round

23. By john kennedy on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

JJ WATT DE FROM WISCONSIN WILL BE A LION IF THERE AT 13. THIS GUY IS A STUD HE CAN PLAY 3, 4, 5. POSITIONS ON D-LINE.

24. By jason on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

We need to pray we get cb prince in the first then take north carolina LB carter in the second.

25. By matt polfus on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

Id say the most important person if possible we could get at 13 would be Prince at DB… With speivey and delmas back there prince would be a nice addition and help make teams want to run the ball more against us and let suh, willliams. vandenbosh and avril tear em up…… trading down might not be a bad idea but i think the most important position for us would be a DB. if we could get one in the 2nd round, then i say take Ayers if hes ther. a good offensive llineman would be nice to get early too, gotta protect my man #9 back there.. anyhow im pretty excited to see what happens and cant wait for the new season, if there is one that is……

26. By Don on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

Ayers Probably won’t be the Pick at 13.
    However if he is there in the 2nd we should grab him.
    Then Again The 2nd pick will probably be used on a CB.
    Which if it turns out to be Ras-I dowling I would’nt have a problem with that.

27. By Tom Miles on Apr 9, 2011 | Reply

Ras-I is a risk at #2, maybe a 3 or 5 because of his knees.

28. By Robert on Apr 10, 2011 | Reply

I haven’t heard anything good about Ayers. He certainly had a poor showing at the Combine. He was slow in the 40, and weak on the bench. He has poor production and instincts, and would be better in a 3-4. I would much rather we got a guy like Mason Foster, or possibly Bruce Carter in the 2nd round. Mason Foster had INSANE production, and is an intelligent player. I know they are looking at Bruce Carter too, who is a bit more athletic, but didn’t have nearly as much production and is coming off a serious injury.

29. By Robert on Apr 10, 2011 | Reply

That would be awesome if Prince was there at 13. I wouldn’t mind getting a MLB through free agency once the lockout is over since Levy seems better suited to play OLB. I hope if we trade down at some point, we go for 2012 or 2013 draft picks because teams seem to trade higher round future picks than what they are willing to trade in the current draft.

30. By wlion on Apr 10, 2011 | Reply

Saw Ayers play many times. He was not a differences maker. Combine results were far from impressive.

31. By Val Showers on Apr 10, 2011 | Reply

I think if Julio Jones is there,you get him.

32. By Michael on Apr 10, 2011 | Reply

My personal opinion is if barrnett is going to be released from the packers, the lions need to put some speed behind them and get him. Leave the first round pic to Prince A. That would put a solid start to the secondary and even free up the second round for a OL. Only makes sence. Put a vetran guy in the backfield.