CB Ras-I Dowling Visits Detroit

Posted by Tara Altman on April 6, 2011 – 11:26 am

Today the Lions’ hosted draft prospect CB Ras-I Dowling.

Dowling played four seasons at Virginia, but battled through injuries for most of his senior year, playing in only five games.

Dowling on his final season: “It was frustrating, but I feel like things are going to happen. You’re not going to go out and play football and not get injured. Everyone’s going to deal with injuries.”

With injuries behind him, Dowling feels that he can bring size and physicality to an NFL defense. With a 6-2, 200 pound frame, it’s his stature that sets him apart from other defensive backs.

Dowling: “I feel I can do a lot more things than a lot of what other corners can do. Just being physical, especially as a tackler. I do a lot of things well.”

The entire experience has so far been a great ride for the cornerback, who is looking forward to seeing where he lands in the NFL Draft.

Dowling: “This facility is really nice. This is my first time being in Detroit, and it’s real nice to be out here. It’s been a great experience, it’s all been exciting and it’s really a blessing to be in this spot. I’m just taking it all in and letting the chips fall.”

35 Responses to “CB Ras-I Dowling Visits Detroit”

1. By Austin Sall on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

I think in this years nfl draft the lions need a solid linebacker or cornerback. we should also keep in mind a offensive lineman. i feel this year will be a good year for detroit lion fans and im excited to see what they can do. a few more accomplishments would also include a few more guys going to the pro bowl and maybe making it to the play offs. all of these would show great improvement through the lions organization

2. By Ian on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

I love Ros-I. He is a good back-up plan if we do not get Amukamara.

3. By Tom Miles on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

A thrid rounder maybe?? Injuries

4. By Jeremy on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Trade up to #2 – 7 and get Patrick Peterson if its not too costly in picks…
    Imagine…
    We take away half the field with Peterson… and with Suh rushing the passer – looks like, lots of picks and sacks – and the foundations of a dominant and great defense

5. By Van on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Yes! Glad they worked him out, please, please, please get this guy Lions. He is gonna be a heck of player and he plays nasty at the CB spot and I know Jim and the guys like that. He is like a faster and more skilled spievey at the CB spot. Him gettin injured at the combine could be a blessing. Because now other teams have looked the other way perhaps.

6. By Will on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

ras-i would be a solid 2nd round guy with or without injuries he is a tough and physical corner. a schwartz guy!!!! also a high character guy.

7. By Danny on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Even after the injury, he wasnt the same. Not be considered till round 3.

8. By Kenny on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

He is pretty solid when healthy. Also a good physical guy, solid tackler. He would improve our run defense. Of course granted he stays healthy.

9. By mike m on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

i love the lions but they can ruin the best player in nfl. by blinking.true story.still love them. will not miss a game

10. By Justin Segula on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Ras-I was properly considered in top of 2010′s cb class before some fluke injuries his senior year. Third round my a**. He will be as successful as any corner in this draft (at corner or safety).

11. By Billy on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

I agree Ian although i dont know what round hes projected to go in. we need lb carter in the 2nd if we get amukamera

12. By jojo on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

the big sleeper and not considered a bust on anyones draft board is the silent cb sleeper “Jimmy Smith” 6’2 rarely thrown against in college and for good reason. blazing speed and considered by some professional scouts to actually be better than Amukamara and patrick peterson

13. By Ryan on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

this dude is good. Amukamara is overrated. Peterson will be gone. I don’t know who the lions should draft anymore really. The draft is long and unpredictable. All I know is it’s time to draft Defense. Linebackers, corners, or even a freakishly gifted Defensive end. Hey…if you find someone who seems to be a lot like the next Julius Peppers in the draft, I’d get him.. I wouldn’t care who is at DE. All I know is that I would pick up Martez Wilson in a later round (2nd or 3rd…maybe even 4th?) Bruce Carter is alright, but the most impressive OLB for our defense in this year’s draft is probably Akeem Ayers. Then again, I would just get a free agent with proven ability myself. The only thing I see the offense needing is a replacement at right guard position. I know Stephen Peterman has been working hard in the weight room and all, but he just doesn’t seem to be getting the job done. The Lions need to improve on their run blocking. Pass Blocking is okay, but the rushing yards are just horrible for the amount of talent at running back. I watch the games and never ever see a hole. Anyway, just rambling.

14. By Baze Hachem on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

ROS I DOWLING IS THE MOST UNDERRATED CB IN THE DRAFT HANDS DOWN……he’s a steal for any NFL team, but i know for a fact who ever takes him will be happy, im not sure DETROIT will take him although i really hope they do, cuz i know hes worth it, great ball skills and a 6ft 2 200 lb guy, come one , where u gonna find that other then the first round…..

goo lions, and please protect stafford in the 1st round nd get ros i dowling in the second or trade up ur third rnd to get him late in the second

15. By Mike on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

O.K. I dont understand why we need another dl our defensive line is awesome already.This isnt Rod Maraneli and Matt Millens team anymore.That would be a millen move to get another dl when we have a bunch already,gosh lets just draft recievers again 4 all that.DB NOT DL,o.k. 1 more time DB not DL.some fans are just stupid.DB remember DB are we clear?

16. By allen on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

hey danny he never returned to the field after the second injury he is just now getting healthy. the corner prince is pretending to be.the only nfl quality reciever prince ever faced was blackmon and he got tore up in that game.prince will either bust or move to safety with his 4.55 speed.there is not one top corner in the nfl with that low a timed speed.

17. By allen on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

also the linebacker we need is mario harvey the marshall thumper.this kid is a beast that is flying way under the radar.6 foot 257 and runs a legit 4.44 and runs it like a reciever.put him at the mike and kick levy back outside cause he is a fine linebacker but just a little weak in the tackling department to be a great mike.and if we dont sign an outside backer i think palmer deserves a shot he played really well at the end of last season and he is really young and still learning.

18. By Daniel Jakubowski on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

1st rd-DE-Aldon Smith-Mizzu…2nd rd- OG-C-Rodney Hudson-Florida St…3rd rd-MLB-Mario Harvey-Marshall…4th rd-WR- Aldrick Robinson-SMU…5TH RD-OLB- Eric Gordon-Michigan St…7th rd-RB- John Clay-Wisconson…FA-CB-Josh Wilson from Baltimore…FA-RB-Michael Bush from Oakland

19. By Mark on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

Ras-I is an incredible talent. Team leader, very intelligent, plays corner like Delmas plays safety-very physical-

Might well end up as a safety as his turn and go isnt corner elite, but if you like good old fashioned football this is your corner. Remember in the Miami game when Nate Vasher showed how you can close a game by tackling well, thats Dowling he does not miss tackles. These skills make him a very good gunner on special teams .He will be a great pick in the late 2nd to early third area

20. By Don on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

Someone was Saying that if we found anyone Like Peppers to take him.
    Well size can’t be the Only factor Because Peppers is Huge.
    However, and I know everyone will think that I am Crazy, BUT, Willie YOUNG is a BEAST! Have you stood anywhere close to that Dude? Last year at training camp, Got a Good Look at him. And then he had a Good Pre-Season And then we Never saw him Again? What is Up with that? Did he rub Someone the wrong way or Something? I really thought that we were going to get Someone with Extra Ability in the Later Round Pick when we took him.
    It would be Nice if Willie turned out to be Good. And he is a Late rounder.

21. By Tom Miles on Apr 9, 2011 | Reply

This guy is risky at #2 even, a 3 or 4 maybe

22. By Mike O Neil on Apr 9, 2011 | Reply

I’ve seen Dowling on video on other sites and on you-tube. (If he wasn’t such a health risk he’d be right up there with all the other CB’s comming out in this draft.) I can see why he’s always hurt. The dude plays like his hair is on fire. He’s a rampaging beast…Ive liked him from day 1. But its a super huge risk whoever decides to draft him.

23. By Woody Douglas on Apr 9, 2011 | Reply

Defense could use a corner,end and OLB I think our O_LINE need help. Center small,aging can’t stop rush ,guards are weak left tackle lot of wear and aging. If we can sustain drives more our defense would be much better. They will be much fresher in later rounds. at thirteen if tyron taylor not there how about Mike Pouncey C _ GUARD

24. By wayne on Apr 10, 2011 | Reply

If we get a strong left tackle, then we will have a healthy matt stafford. Matt will be here for a while, so i think it would be nice to get a left tackle to stay with him and they can learn each other. after that go DE, CB, and then in the late rounds pick up a complimentary 3rd down back.

25. By Cosmo on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

I would luv to see JJ Watt drop to the lions at #13. Talk about a beast at DE! This guy reminds me of Jared Allen. While this might not be the pick to address our biggest needs, this is the pick for greatest value, imo. Just hope he is still there at 13.

26. By Kirmi on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

Just as long as we don’t draft Bruce “I can’t tackle” Carter

27. By eric on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

Prince is overated..I say we take Bowers at 13..Lets not play around here..get him in there with KVB..Suh ..Avril.. Lo jack..and this is the best d line in the nfl period..oh hes no one trick poney ethier..he can do it all..yet everyones questioning this guys character..Man he was top 3 last month..if the big fella is there take him. If the knee checks out.. ..No qb will be safe with that line..Hes got helleva balance and power..and cat quick feet..GRAB HIM..Mason Foster we need this guy in the middle hes a player..Ros I would be a good pick 2..we dont need 2 panic..should be some free agent corners who wanna play on an up an coming defense..should be some guys beatin down the doors at Allen Park..

28. By Akon on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

I hope Detroit Get him in 2nd or 3rd round, he is soo goood, we can compare him to Peterson

29. By DanyoInDaLionsDen on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

Iv’e watched the highlights on this guy… and he is a beast… he is by far the most physical corner in the draft!!!! Plus he is a lock down corner… WE NEED THAT… We can get a OLB threw Free agency…

30. By Tom Miles on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

his knees are a big concern. The Lions do not need another on IR

31. By Ron on Apr 15, 2011 | Reply

Number 1 pick Jimmy Smith from Colorado. Number 2 the OLB from Arizona.

32. By Mike L on Apr 17, 2011 | Reply

We actually should move up in trade 2 get Peterson,Amakamara should be a backup option.However we could still take J.Smith who stock seems to rise.The only way we should consider Dowling is if we adress a lb or ol.Hell still be around in 2nd or 3rd rd.

33. By Jordan on Apr 20, 2011 | Reply

man will people just shut up about stafford he will be fine get um brotha!

34. By ryan on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

detroit should trade back in the first for another second rounder and take anthony castanzo in the first then take ras-i in the second and bruce carter with the other second

35. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 30, 2012 | Reply

I can’t wait for this season!!! Super Bowl here we come! GO LIONS!!!