OT Tyron Smith Visits Lions

Posted by Tara Altman on April 13, 2011 – 2:14 pm

USC offensive tackle Tyron Smith visited the Lions’ Training and Practice Facility on Wednesday.

Playing only two seasons for the Trojans, Smith is part of a solid group of offensive linemen eligible for this year’s draft, but what Smith believes sets him apart from the rest is his athletic stature and pass protection.

Smith: “I’m a good pass protector. Basically I like to get my hands inside a defender before he gets me so that I have a good reach on him. I’m more of, ‘kill him before he kills me,’ guy. I set the tone off the first play of the game to let him know who he’s dealing with.”

Making the transition from the college level offensive front to the pro’s can be a difficult process.

But one of the main things that the 20-year old tackle felt would make the transition easier are the similarities between Detroit’s offensive scheme and USC’s.

Smith: “It’s similar to what we run at SC. It’s the same pro style offense, a little bit of the same terminology, but it’s pretty similar to what we do. I don’t think it would be too big of a change for me.”

Another similarity that made Smith feel right at home was the offensive line’s meeting room, which reminded him of his collegiate classroom.

Smith: “The offensive line room is the same as how we do it. We make little jokes on the board and draw little things on the boards and stuff like that to make fun of somebody. Guys just feel comfortable in the room, even though there’s all different types of characters in the room. It just seems like it’s somewhere I could be comfortable.”

27 Responses to “OT Tyron Smith Visits Lions”

1. By Good Broh on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

I for one want the Lions to draft Jimmy Smith but if Martin and Co. see fit to bring this guy on board I won’t be mad. He looks like a year or so under Backus could make Stafford alot more comfortable in the future.

Jimmy4prez but we don’t mind Tyron as V.P.

2. By douglas on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

the 1st pick is mike pouncey this kid is good (smith) but is more versitile (pouncey) i truly beleive pouncey is future all pro

3. By Dennis Lumpkin on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

PLEASE take Smith!!!!!!!! If you take him , I feel he will impact the offense right now!!!!! Remember, Stafford up means we have a good chance to make the playoffs. I would draft: (1) OT , (2) DB , (3) LB , (4) RB , (5) OT. I think you can never get enough big bodys up front. Keep in mind that Tyron Smith knows some of the offense and WANTS to play in Detroit. If my memeory serves , in the last two years you had 2 picks who wanted to play for the Lions and are paying off (Stafford , and Suh). This attitude has helped in rebuilding the Lions from the ground up. Attitude determines alttitude(sorry about the spelling) you no what I mean. From Detroit’s west side and will always be a die hard LIONS fan even though I now live in South Carolina.
    Good luck on the season………

My M V P for 2011 Season is : Matthew Stafford

4. By xBScHuLeRx on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Tyron Smith WIll Be our first round pick if prince amukamara is not on the board or possibly dequan bowers..

5. By jbird on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

This guys alright

6. By BILLO313 on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

Tyron Smith is gonna be a pro bowl caliber tackle. i would welcome him to detroit with open arms. he is young, plenty of room for coaching, he still has some bulk to add, i cant see us NOT taking him at 13. best O-lineman coming into draft.

7. By LanceManly on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

OT not Pouncy… his brother is a Pro Bowler true… but, that means less likey he will be.

I like Tyron Smith; be a good pickup; especially because most drafts have him gone before our pick.

Only if both Prince Amukamara and Tyron are available; would I not take Tyron.

Odds are; we won’t get the choice on either… but, if one is available then take it.

8. By Tom Miles on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

If this guy is around and no other top DBs, LBs or DLs are available, then grab him

9. By eric on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

Grab him if u guys like him..

10. By Tom on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

I like the idea of us drafting Smith or Castanzo and moving Cherilus inside to RG and cutting Peterman. I would like whichever Rookie tackle that we draft to start at RT and move over to LT in 2012 after Backus’s contract expires. I believe that Backus has one more solid year left in him but we will eventually need to get rid of both him and Raiola. Jason Fox is also capable of taking over at RT in 2012

11. By mike on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

NO! we wouldnt dare move cherilus to the inside. backus would be the one to move to the inside and have smith on the same side. that way they can talk on the line if smith needs help. cherilus is being groomed into a pretty good right tackle and i dont see him leaving for a long time.

12. By Don on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

I Watched a Few Video’s On Tyron Smith, and he is Very Fast after the Snap to setting up and taking charge of the situation’s at hand.
    With the Other OT’s that are Comming out, Castanzo Had the Best Footwork Of all of them. Or at least that is how it Appeared at that time.
    Tyron is a Brute, One Strong dude and his Upper Body Is’nt Missing much in the Strength Dept. Either. He would Be a Great Pickup at 13.
    And it does’nt sound like it would be much of a Transition.
    Tackle or Guard? That Tis the Question. At least about the Line.
    Backus Or Peterman?
    I Really Like Pouncy Also.

13. By Jordan on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

tyron smith all the way baby!!!

14. By perkmd on Apr 15, 2011 | Reply

I think Lions should trade back a few spots and pick up a second, round two pick. They should take the best OT or G/C on the board. I personally like Pouncey. Then they should trade up into the late first round and pick up LB if Ayers is available and use the second, round two pick to take CB (Ras-I Dowling if he is available).

15. By Woody Douglas on Apr 15, 2011 | Reply

Without free agency before the draft put some real needs in place for our first 2 draft to really get it right. OL is a must by going ol we can keep our defense off the field more, we need a real run game to go with with the D. Second pick should be DB. Big back like Syracuse RB in third rd. Fill in needs and backups with rest.

16. By DLIONS on Apr 15, 2011 | Reply

I agree with perkmd trade back to get an extra pick in the second round and hopefully the third. I think that this is a very deep draft for the first three rounds.

17. By Lion Mike on Apr 16, 2011 | Reply

Free agency after the draft might be good for us. I know it sounds crazy, but we can fill 3 starting spots in the draft. C/RG, CB, OLB. If we can land a solid veteran LB, it might make the Lions defense a little more attractive to a big name free agent CB

18. By Paul on Apr 16, 2011 | Reply

Id say draft OL Smith if THE PRINCE is not there 2nd round has got to be LB 3rd Rb wisconsin u might know who im talking about after that the rest i would just keep drafting DB’s because like every says and knows you can Never have too many of them and so who knows Detroit might get some starters in the late rounds because what we have is WEAK CB and its hard for me to say that i love this team GOOO SUH !!!!!!!

19. By Hank on Apr 16, 2011 | Reply

Still go with Amukamarra first, then an OT next….. then a DB or LB, ( JJ Watt, but probably not available, then go for Shiloh Keo )

I still believe in trading away our bottom 4 picks to some team who needs LOTS of help, for their 1st or/and 2nd round picks, …to improve our 2 top pick positions, similar to Jahvid Best pick position upgrade.

Then rely on good research into the undrafted prospects, to find a few “diamonds in the rough”

20. By Jesse Schauer on Apr 17, 2011 | Reply

I say first off if Prince is there its a no brainer, he is a day one starter, everybody has graded him a future shutdown corner, plus the fact that him and Suh went to school together is icing on the cake, keep suh happy and good things will come. If he happens to be gone, then I say somebody like Daquan bowers or Robert Quinn, give Vanden Bosh somebody to teach the game to before he goes. Plus if we resign cliff avril imagine our D line in two or three years, if we had like Bowers, Williams(or hill when ready), Suh, and Avril, that would be ferocious. Plus backus was actualy a very productive left tackle last year, hes just overlooked cuz of the play against julius that hurt stafford. Julius burnt alot of people last year, just happened to cost us more then anybody else, staffor just needs to learn how to take a hit and fall on his back… I say get the prince, or Quinn/Bowers and solitify the defense, then look for stephen tulloch off of free agency to help with linebackers

21. By john cena on Apr 17, 2011 | Reply

i was just reading some of everyones comments, and you all think that this guy is gonna take over for Backus one day? Yeah right that will never happen. This guy is a straight replacement of Gos. He is never going to move over to the left tackle position. If you want a left tackle why not draft one later. there are a lot of decent ones there just wait till the 3rd or fourth for your tackle and pick up camari.

22. By Steve on Apr 17, 2011 | Reply

We should take Prince in the first round. Come back later put up an offensive lineman and then a linebacker. Lions are gonna be in the playoffs next year! Lets Go Lions!!!

23. By TwoGuns635 on Apr 17, 2011 | Reply

I believe that the Lions should draft Tyron Smith if he’s available. I believe that Dallas will grab him or Amukamara at pick #9 though. I don’t forsee Amukamara or Smith being available. Funny thing is, I see the QB hungry teams, 1-12 basically, gobbling up Newton, Gabbert, then Mallett and Locker. Mallett to the Titans and Locker to the Vikings. Some aweful good talent is going to get pushed down to pick 13 which will provide a trade opportunity. Trade down, take OT Gabe Carimi in the first, followed by Bruce Carter and Ras-I Dowling (by trading up using ONE of our now TWO picks in the third), then nab Carimi’s running mate OG Moffitt in the 3rd. Grab your running back in the 4th (whomever is left on your board) and then with the 5th, take Greg Romeus. That would be an awesome draft. If you can’t trade down, take Castonzo, Carter, trade up for Ras-I Dowling (3rd to 2nd), Trade back into the 3rd to get Mason Foster using a 2nd rounder from 2012 . With 4th, get your RB and 5th take ROMEUS. Whatever you do, GET ROMEUS.

24. By G on Apr 17, 2011 | Reply

I’m hoping we can scoop up Prince at 13, and possibly trade up to grab Derek Sherrod. I’d rather have him than any other OL. If we can re-sign Chris Houston, we’ll have 2 solid cb’s and Prince can get better and better checkin Megatron everyday in practice. Prince & Sherrod will start at 2 positions immediately, we can possibly pick up another tackle to mold as Jeff Backus’s replacement, we still do have Jason Fox from last years draft. He may not be a stud yet but maybe he can go to RT and Sherrod at LT.. I really hope Stafford stays healthy, I live in Florida and I would LOVE to go to the Tampa game…

25. By Illinois Lion on Apr 18, 2011 | Reply

I think Fox can fill in for Gos, if Gos misses any time due to his knee. The big concern is the interior line. Yes, Backus got Stafford crushed last year, but our lack of a run game is a bigger issue. 1. Prince or Jimmy Smith 2. Bruce Carter 3. John Moffit 4. Casey Matthews 5. Lee Ziemba 7. John Clay. Free agent pickups, Stephen Tulloch, Santana Moss or Lance Moore. Of course, add Nnamdi or Cromartie if possible becuase Alphonso Smith is better suited at nickel CB.

26. By Jeff on Apr 19, 2011 | Reply

I think that the Lions are very close to the playoffs. With that said, I think we need to build for now! Drafting Prince or Smith will not help us now. Although they are good players with high ceilings, they will not develop for about three years. By trading our 1st round pick, I’d like to see us grab a top LT or CB. Don’t forget…Calvin Johnson’s contract is almost up. Do you think he wants to keep “building a team”? We need to show him that we can win now. Megatron is 25, Stafford is 24, Suh is 24, Best is 23, and Delmas is 24. The Raiders do not have a first round pick. Maybe if one of the top QB’s are there, maybe trade our first and third round picks for Nnamdi Asomough or Robert Gallery.

27. By dlionking on Apr 19, 2011 | Reply

I would love to see the lions trade up for prince if possible even if we loose a pick in the 2 or 3rd round, i could see dallas willing to trade down, prince would fill our biggest need and happens to go to nebraska *(suhs school) wich would motivate him even more, besides if we want to compete in the nfc we are going to need atleast one shutdown corner.look at teams like green bay, saints,cowboys,eagles they all have dominant receiving corps. then it would be nice if we can pick up tulloch in free agency wich is a solid lb or take a chance on leroy hill from seatle,theres a guy name david mims from a small college who is an absolute beast, hes projected to go in the 5th round,at the rb position theres plenty off options,all we need is a backup but i like felton to complement best i dont think rb is a major need for the team, p/s hopefully they can resign houston and give ashley palmer a chance to play,he plays hard and makes plays when given the chance