Baldwin, Fairley Visit Detroit

Posted by Tara Altman on April 20, 2011 – 1:51 pm

Pittsburgh WR Jonathan Baldwin and Auburn DT Nick Fairley visited the Lions Training and Practice Facility Wednesday.

At 6-5, 225 pounds, Baldwin feels he’d be a good addition to Detroit’s wide receiving corps that already features Calvin Johnson and Nate Burleson, and believes he would be another deep threat in the receiving game.

Baldwin: “I’m a down the field (receiver). I have big play-making ability that can add that extra spark to the offense and I’ll do whatever is necessary to win ball games.”

Baldwin, who finished his three-year career at Pitt with 128 receptions for 2,337 yards and 16 touchdowns, says the experience leading up to the NFL Draft has been great, especially getting the opportunity to sit down with coaching staffs across the league.

Baldwin: “It’s been a very unique experience meeting different coaching staffs before you’re drafted. Everybody is talking to you about film and breaking plays down, talking to you about different things about your offense and then you have to explain the offense you ran (in college). It gives you the chance to teach them and to give them a better understanding of you.”

Meeting with the defensive coaching staff, Fairley felt right at home, having played in a similar system at Auburn and excelling as a pass rusher.

Spending most of his time with Lions’ defensive line coach Kris Kocurek, Fairley got a good grasp of how he’d fit in.

Fairley: “I’m feeling great here because the defensive scheme is kind of similar to what I played at Auburn: rush the passer, go right to the ball. The way he (Kocurek) talks about the guys that he has in the room, as far as the d-linemen, I think it would be a great fit to come in as a rookie and be under those guys’ wings. With how they took (Ndamukong) Suh in last year, how Suh produced and everything, I think it would be a good place to be developed.”

After two seasons at Auburn, the 2010 Lombardi Award winner – given to the best college football lineman or linebacker – finished with 88 tackles, 27.5 tackles for loss, 13.0 sacks for 89 yards lost, 2 forced fumbles, 3 fumble recovers and an interception.

Fairley: “At the collegiate level, I feel that I did everything I could with Auburn, winning the National Championship, being defensive player of the year in the SEC, winning the Lombardi and everything. I think I accomplished a lot throughout my two years there and I was just ready to take my skills to the next level.”

29 Responses to “Baldwin, Fairley Visit Detroit”

1. By Judge Smails on Apr 20, 2011 | Reply

PICK ‘EM UP!

2. By Val Showers on Apr 20, 2011 | Reply

I like Baldwin,he would take the double team away from Calvin,and keep the defense honest.

3. By jbird on Apr 20, 2011 | Reply

Okay take him as undrafted FA.

4. By perkmd on Apr 20, 2011 | Reply

Neither position (WR or DT) are major concerns for the Lions. As far as receivers we need a speedy slot receiver which could be found in later rounds. Our first and second round picks would be better spent on positions of need. LB, OL, CB. As Deep as analysts are saying this draft is with DE and DT we can find good players late in the draft. We are also likely losing RB Smith and QB Stanton to free agency, but their replacements could be found in rounds 3 through 5.

5. By jeremy on Apr 20, 2011 | Reply

i do not want fairly but would love baldwin, it is true we need a speedy slot guy but baldwin would be a great #2 and move nate inside to the slot and shazam who u gonna cover…jst sayin

6. By perkmd on Apr 20, 2011 | Reply

I agree Jeremy, Baldwin sounds like he could be a good compliment to our WRs, but he is likely going to be taken in the second round and I not sure if we should use that high of a pick on WR when we have some other pressing needs. If he falls to the third or later because of his personality issues I would say they should take the chance.

7. By Darren on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

@ you all above me… to bad we take the best player available…

8. By TwoGuns635 on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

I also like the Baldwin as a #2 receiver for us. I have no problem seeing him taken in the second round. We could always grab Mason Foster or Quan Sturdivant in the third and go for a CB in free agency, whenever that is. I hear Baldwin’s a bit of a diva (mold of TO and Randy Moss) though, but if he’s good, he’s good. I can’t even imagine a D coordinator trying to tell his DB’s “OK, cover Johnson…wait, cover Baldwin….wait, cover Burelson…wait, cover Pettigrew..DANG IT!!!” Wouldn’t have to worry about our glaring needs at DB or LB with Fairley added to the mix either. It would be like last year except with the volume blasting all the way, all game long. Opposing QB’s would be constantly looking up going “wa happened?” It would make our CB’s look like pro bowlers. Go D-line again! If you can’t get Fairley, Get DaQuan Bowers. That knee is going to be fine for years to come. I’ve seen the interviews with Bowers and he’s our kind of guy.

9. By BILLO313 on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

wow… i never entertained taking Fairley at number 13. but that wouldnt be necessarily a bad thing!!!

10. By eric on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

I agree guns…we allready can rush the passer,just with our front four..Bowers would be a great addition! U get the number 1 pick which he is at 13..and Lojack and Avril had career years playin with Suh an VB..but can we pass on Jimmy Smith,he is the most skillful corner in the draft..might be a superstar. Mark Ingram is gonna be a helleva pro..So who knows what they will do..

11. By JonGOLIONS on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

Why not give Steffan Logan a shot at playing slot. He has great hands and great speed. Just a thought.

12. By TwoGuns635 on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

Hey, just wanted to plant a seed for all the Detroit brass that might be viewing these pages….get Marvin Austin. Although I like Fairley, my guess is he’ll be gone. Austin’s stock keeps climbing and I like what I’ve seen so far from this player. Out a year, stayed in shape, killed in all the games leading up to the combine, shined there as well, interviewed well, and plays like a OLB in a DT’s body. I rate him just as high as Fairley. If he would’ve played, he would have been a top ten pick. He also is not injured, played in a pro system and is all business on the field. He would fit in well here. If he’s good enough to go in the first round, he’s good enough to go near the middle of the first round. MARIVN AUSTIN DT, JONATHAN BALDWIN WR, MASON FOSTER or QUAN STURDIVANT LB, CURTIS MARSH CB, STEVAN RIDLEY RB, and lastly GREG ROMEUS DE. Awesome draft. DO IT! Ha.

13. By jojo on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

If CB Prince and OT Tyron Smith is off the board then yes go with a LB, DT, DE. For the 13th pick like a Bowers or Fairley and CB maybe Jimmy Smith in the second round and third round WR Jonathan Baldwin possibly then in the fourth round a RB and fifth round OT and sixth DB. who knows maybe in free agency we pick up LB A.J. Hawk.

14. By TD on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

Fairley would be a terrific pick at 13, especially if he is the BPA. Anyone recall the Williams Wall in Minnie, and how dominate they made the rest of the defense? Corey Smith isn’t getting any younger and Fairley in the rotation would make the entire defense better. Of course, I would prefer the Prince or a top flight DE, but in all likelihood they will be long gone by 13. Baldwin would make a terrific compliment, and give our young offense one more weapon for Stafford. Would much rather see a stud LB or power RB taken in the second round where Baldwin projects. Regardless of the selection, I have complete confidence in Mayhem making the right choice for our team.

15. By Preston on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

Jimmy Smith won’t be there in the second round. I say we trade back and draft Pouncey and then use the aqquired pick to move back into the first round and snatch up Jimmy Smith. Later we draft the best Center prospect we can or a higher caliber guard if avaible. On the right side of the line we have Hillard and others who have done a great. Jimmy Smith has character concerns and it bother me, but he is the best CB in this draft class. Everyone wants to cry about replacing Backus when guy played at a high level last season, sure he’s older and his contract only has a year left, but if were all going to cry about Backus than we should be considering replacing Riola in the same sentance. They’ve both been in the league 11 years. If you use my stratagy you get the best RT, CB, LB in the Third and Rodney Huson in the 4th.

16. By Bill Kinnunen on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

If the Lions were fortunate enough to draft Nick Fairley, it would be a safe assumption that I would be a season ticket-holder for the next 10 years. The Lions could probably still add a couple of starters in rounds two and three to help out the back 7.

17. By Don on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

I think that Jonathan Baldwin would be a Great Pickup! And if it Can Happen it would Open up our Offense Like none other in the League!
    Like someone was Sayin, Calvin, Burleson, Pettigrew, And even Javid out of the Backfield. Who are they going to cover? The Other Team’s are having fit’s when we run 2 TE’s. Let Alone a recieving core like that!
    That would Make every WR that have Very Capable of Making that play! And Baldwin would be one that Stafford could Air it out to for the Long Bomb and having it Sped into the endzone! Not that he can’t do that with Calvin, That is Precisely The Problem that the Other TEAMs would have, the Fact that we could do it with either of them!
    Sorry Lost My mind for a Moment there.
    Fairly would Also be a great Pick Too! And I feel more of a 1st rounder.
    I have to say that this year is a Little tougher as who to go with. A lot of the Men that we will want will be off the board, So we realy have to do our homework. But I’m sure that Mayhew is studying hard on who to take.And Schwartz is hard at it also. So far so Good! I Really believe that we have great minds Putting this thing together. And they WILL do what is best for the Team.
    And that is a Great releave from the type of drafts that we were forced to indure in the past. I love the draft!
    LIONS!

18. By sabercat.. on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

we need PRINCE AMUKAMURA!!! period… i like baldwin,but 2nd round maybe… sorry farley we got sue and corey williams…

if it was me

do what u have to do to get Prince or peterson.. we got torched last year…

1. prince
    2. jimmy smith, mike lesure, baldwin, who ever is a steel at that spot.
    3.bruce carter or chimdi chikuwa from OSU b4 the raiders get him.
    4.greg jones
    5.OL

free agents

wr.. steve breston or randy moss.. yep moss!!
    find a good LT..
    MLB tolluch from the titans..
    i like mike bush from the raiders..
    the other strong safety from the titans chris hope. or michael huff from the raiders.
    richard marshall from the panthers.
    deep into the playoffs

its far fetched yes!! but imagine..

our secondary..

prince amukamura louis delmas
    richard marshall chris hope or michael huff
    chris houston amari spivey
    alphonso smith erik colman
    nathan vasher

we all ready know what we have on the DL..
    if we get TULLOCH from the titans

we will dominate… go BIG BLUE!!!

wait the O

QB Matt Stafford
    RB Javid BEST
    Michael Bush

WR Calvin Johnson
    WR Randy Moss or steve breaston
    WR Nate Burlison

TE Brandon Pettigrew
    TE Tony Scheffler

and work on our OL and we good!!

mayhew where you at man?

19. By russ bell on Apr 23, 2011 | Reply

first round the best cb jimmy smith
    2 round lb bruce carter
    3 round Lsu wr terrance tovolier
    4round ot ?
    5 round running back
    7 round please right guard

20. By jojo on Apr 23, 2011 | Reply

how about this for a blast draft if prince and tyron smith is gone jimmy smith is too high at 13 if fairley falls to 13 get him and if daquan bowers falls at 2nd round wich is big possibility grab him and let him heal up for most of the year remember blake griffin broken kneecap has monster ROY from resting a year who knows maybe CB jonathan joseph stud goes to free agency and also LB AJ Hawk free agency and use the rest of the draft for offense.

21. By shifty on Apr 23, 2011 | Reply

We need a LB in round one. We can pick up a CB in free agency….Champ Bailey is free.

22. By TwoGuns635 on Apr 23, 2011 | Reply

jojo – I hate to tell you this but AJ Hawk resigned with the packers prior to all this rigamarow with the lockout. I agree though, there are all kinds of free agents available. I like Stephen Nicholas from the Falcons who’s actually said that he would like to play with the Detroit Lions. 27 years old and he’s good. I’m also ok with us nabbing someone like Marion Barber when Dallas cuts him later this year. He would be a good pick up and be great opposite Best. I think the injury bug hurt him the last two years but there were flashes last year of the old Marion the Barbarian.

23. By SanDiegoLionsFan on Apr 23, 2011 | Reply

I dont think we should take either one of these guys. the only way we can use a deep threat reciever is to keep Stafford in the game, and our D-line is probably the possition with the least need. we will need another PK before a DT. CB, OLB, S, C, FB, WR. GO LIONS!!!

24. By ChristopherWayne on Apr 23, 2011 | Reply

I’m going to have to say that the best player available is the best way to build our team up. I think that even if that means we don’t get a CB or OL early, we would still be able to find help in free agency. If Baldwin is the best available when we pick, I say take him. If Fairley is somehow still on the board at 13, and our top prospect still available, we should take him. I trust Mayhew and the rest of the guys that will be making the calls. I know we can continue our growth. We just have to stick to the game plan…so far, it’s working.

25. By lions57 on Apr 24, 2011 | Reply

Baldwin would be a good pick later in the draft… Calvin’s contract is up after this season… He hasnt spoken highly of Detroit the last couple years and Baldwin could develop into a Calvin-esque type player.

26. By epaul9 on Apr 24, 2011 | Reply

Draft Mark Ingram! Javid is not a work horse style of a back. Ingram and Javid would be a great tandom to have. Best could be spread out like Reggie Bush in certain packages and cause all kinds of havoc for defenses. I know this will not happen, but it would be sweet!!!

27. By Steve Collins on Apr 24, 2011 | Reply

I’m looking at somebody Like Doss from Indiana or Salas from Hawaii to come on board and fill the slot receiver spot with the Lions,DE would be more a need on the DL as Williams, Suh,Hill,are well able to hold down the lanes between the Tackles.
    I seen one Mock Draft have us taking DE Claybourne from Iowa in the 2nd round.Interesting ….

28. By Lion Mike on Apr 24, 2011 | Reply

If Prince is gone, trade back to 18. SD can go get Bowers or Julio Jones and we can take their 3rd round pick.

1. Jimmy Smith – CB from Colorado
    2. Jon Baldwin – WR from Pittsburgh
    3A. Bruce Carter – OLB from UNC
    3B. John Moffitt – G from Wisconsin
    4. Nate Irving – OLB from NC State
    5. Kristofer O’Dowd – C from USC
    7. BPA

Pick up Tulloch on day one of free agency and Nnamdi will want to play on this defense. That back 7 would be scary for the next 3-5 years. Levy, Tulloch, Carter, Jimmy Smith, Nnamdi, Speivey and Delmas.

Moffitt will replace Peterman this year. O’Dowd would replace Raiola next year. We can draft a LT to replace Backus and Fox can play RT. This team will compete for a SB very soon!

29. By Joe on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Why to go Lions, great pick with Nick Fairley!!!! Keep up the good work!!! It sure is a comfort to see LIONS Management going in the right direction. After being a loyal fan for 55 years I might someday see a winner before the end of time. GO LIONS !!!!!!!!!