Fans Select CB Jimmy Smith as the Lions’ 13th Overall Selection

Posted by Tara Altman on April 28, 2011 – 1:15 pm

Fans have selected CB Jimmy Smith as your Detroit Lions’ 13th-overall selection in this year’s NFL Draft. Round one of the NFL Draft starts tonight at 8 PM EST.

Selection Team Selection
1 Carolina Panthers QB Cameron Newton, Auburn
2 Denver Broncos DT Marcell Dareus, Alabama
3 Buffalo Bills LB Von Miller, Texas A&M
4 Cincinnati Bengals WR A.J. Green, Georgia
5 Arizona Cardinals QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri
6 Cleveland Browns DB Patrick Peterson, LSU
7 San Francisco 49ers DE Robert Quinn, UNC
8 Tennessee Titans DT Nick Fairley, Auburn
9 Dallas Cowboys T Tyron Smith, USC
10 Washington Redskins WR Julio Jones, Alabama
11 Houston Texans CB Prince Amukamara, Nebraska
12 Minnesota Vikings QB Jake Locker, Washington
13 Detroit Lions CB Jimmy Smith, Colorado

44 Responses to “Fans Select CB Jimmy Smith as the Lions’ 13th Overall Selection”

1. By Corey Lions for life on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

I hope we get Prince tonight or if some reason Von Miller slips would be amazing! We need linebacker and DB help! Where is Terry Fair?

2. By JERRY GILBERTSON on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

i like this pick, we need a good CB. i also agree with with von miller, that would make pur stong defence even stonger. but we nrrd help in the secdairy. i would like to see the lions have anotyer good draft, like last year. we are take the right steps to get back to the playoffs. and hopefully the SUPERBOWL very soon. i have been a lions fan my all my life. and this year i have high hopes that we will not only get to the playoffs, but win a couple of them to.

3. By Hank on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

It’s a good thing fans don’t do the actual draft selection.

Jimmy Smith? Really?

Did they also draft Charles Rogers?

I’ll put my faith in Mayhew, Lewand and Schwartz.

4. By Jmart on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Well, theres absolutely no way that Miller gets out of the top 3 picks. I wouldn’t be surprised if Prince goes to the cowboys. I would like t see us trade back to 17-18 and see if we could pick up Smith there, or possibly trade back a second time.

5. By 52sackmachine on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

I would love to see the lions move up, and get Peterson. Smith, is a guy that has alot of off the field issues. If your the lions you don’t need someone that has that. You want players that can be good players and even better person on and off the field!.

6. By Dave B on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Jimmy Smith would be a horrible idea, unless you are looking to increase the team roster from his offspring, even then we will need the girls parents to stop aborting his kids. What a joke! He is not even worth a second round pick.

7. By jace on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

smith,really ! cam jordan or any stud de

8. By Hank on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Corey, I’m with you.

With Chris Houston back in the fold….., I would STILL like to see them draft the Prince,… but their need isn’t as critical as it could have been without Houston.

They may opt to go OT or LB instead, and pick up an additional corner in the later rounds, …….or scour the undrafted players

After OTs Anthony Costanzo,…… or Tyron Smith, or Nate solder….( but NOT Gabe Carimi )….
    …..I’d like to see them go after J.J. Watt or Shiloh Keo ( good size, extremely good hustle, and no character flaws )

9. By Donne on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Watch…..they will trade down to get more picks. There will be no one of great value at 13. They could use OL, but don’t need it and I don’t know if there is anyone at defense I would take a 13.

10. By LeonDePlata on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

I’m totally with you guys !!!
    We need an OT … with that picture we should draft Castonzo

For second round I hope we might trade up and steal Ras-I-Dowling from Cowboys, then we’ll get a CB without any character problems and terrific Pro-Day

I’m confident that Mayhew, Lewand and Schwartz won’t draft Smith in 1st round, at least not in number 13th :D

11. By David Payton on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

I would like to see Prince at 13, but I am afraid he will be gone by then…so where else do you go for a quality corner?

12. By Shot327 on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Please dont draft this guy!!!! Lets build a team of character and not on HYPE!!! Take an OT to protect your $40 Million dollar investment!

13. By Trade Up for P2 on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

We should trade our 1st and our 4th to move up and snag Patrick Peterson. He is going to create P2 island in the NFL and we need him bad. The 2nd pick should be the best OL that fits our scheme. And the fans should slap themselves for choosing Jimmy Smith over Anthony Costanzo. That would be a HUGE mistake!!!

14. By Bobby on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Would love to get Prince with this selection. If not I hope the lions can get Tyron Smith or Anthony Costanzo.

A lot of mock drafts also have the Lions taking Da’qaun Bowers with this pick. Which is if it is true and he does wind up being healthy wouldnt also be terrible.

15. By ikswokark sivart boj on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Before everyone freaks out, jimmy smith is very good football player. Only reason hes graded 3rd behind the prince, is because he has character issues that some might be afraid of. At 13, i think he might be a reach. If they traded down maybe to 20, smith might still b there. If they stay at 13, i think your gonna see castonzo go who might turn out to be the best o-lineman in the draft. Both are under rated, and will help the ball club.

16. By Steve on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

And Von Miller slipping? Gee, I really hope Patrick Peterson slips too! What would we do if they were both still available!!! I jest.

17. By anonymous on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Jimmy Smith is top 10 talent minus the ‘character issues’ – Mayhew has met with him and Smith has visited the facility. I think Schwartz could work with him and Smith could develop into a shutdown corner! Taking him at 13 is kind of high though. If Bowers is still there I suggest taking him at 13 that would be a steal or trade with New England and for their first and something in the later rounds so they can get Bowers. I’d really like to see them trade up with Dallas for Amukamara…I’m afraid he just won’t slip past Houston and who knows what Minnesota will do with all their troubles. Heck I wish we could trade up for Peterson!! We need a star like that in our defensive back…someone like a Polomalu or a Rod Woodson, an all around beast on defense! Hope we have a good draft tonight!

18. By T.N.E. on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Count Mel is the best!!!

19. By Dennis on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

I want Jimmy Smith hands down! I believe that he will prove to be the best pick in this draft. Sure he has some maturity issue’s but he is not a criminal or a thug. If he wanted to be a thug he could have stayed in the rough L.A. neighborhood he grew up and in and escaped from. the NFL will be what saves this young man and he will save the LIons.

20. By xBScHuLeRx on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Ur All Crazy We Trade Up with arizona To get Patrick Peterson and Then We Get Bruce Carter and Mason Foster and Demarco Murray.. Thats how it plays out..

21. By matt on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Are you serious? Smith takes too many plays off. Its unbelievable. I say that if Prince drops down to us, we pick him up. If He is gone but Tyron Smith is still there, we get Tyron. If they are both gone, we take Costanzo.

22. By Ben on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

He doesn’t like to hit.

23. By MacaTRop on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

I also believe that the Lions will try and trade up to get Patrick Peterson!

24. By Bugski on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Agian we need a takle, with backus at 35 and on his last year of contract, smith or castonov would be great picks. both players are future pro bowlers and will give you a good 10-12yrs.
    Please stay away from another QB. You dont need it.

25. By Big Will on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

I am a Big Lions Fan and we need Jimmy Smith and SUH, Kyle, and Delmas will get he on the right track. He is a 6’2 CB that runs a 4.3 we dont currently have that on our team.

26. By malik on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

the lions should draft Rasi-Dowling

27. By malik on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

and we should get casy mathews in 2 round

28. By malik on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Detroit lions all day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. By Jason Earley on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

I would select Prince in the draft. If I cannot get Prince, I would try to get Brandon Harris. I believe that he is a better player than Smith. I would also try to trade for or get Keven Kolb as a free agent. The Detroit Lions have Mathiew Stafford but he is a injury risk. He has been hurt twice in two years. The Detroit Lions have the fourth best passer protection rating in the NFL. He is not physically tough enough to play in the NFL. The Detroit Lions should not take the risk on Mathiew Stafford getting hurt.

30. By S.J.D. on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

wow… Jimmy Smith?? i agree with you Hank.. horrible selection by the fans! who was doing this MOCK draft? Bevause there is a lot to be mocked with Jimmy Smith at #13…. we need to either trade up.. or trade down. Either way, #13 pick isnt going to get us what we need.

31. By Connor on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

I believe we’ll end up drafting Da’Quan Bowers. Wouldnt be suprised if we jumped up into the very late 1st early 2nd and got Akeem Ayers. I think that would give us a pretty good D.

32. By J.C.Molynx on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

jimmy smith….if we don’t get Prince we need to trade down and take Ayers…to all the fans who voted for smith i say…..C”MON MAN !!!!!!

33. By brian on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

I suggested Castonzo. massive,fast and smart. Jimmy Smith?.. is Matt Millen voting in the fan draft?…

34. By Skip Roberts on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

13th pick is too high for a player of Jim Smithis stature.
    I would take DE J J Watts at pick # 13, and this would open up the opportunity to convert Cliff Avril back to his college position as a big, fast olb to work as support to J JWatts. who is a tall big motor wide arm span de …..Think about it ……If these two guys work on the same side of this part of the defensive zone could be an all pro combo and give us depth at both the defencive lin as well as the line backer position. What do you think>?
    Skip

35. By msubobcats@barryisagod on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Wow. You guys dont agree with Jimmy Smith? 6’2”, runs a legit 4.3 and can play on an island. Immediate impact for a secondary that needs more help than Lindsay Lohan. Take him.

36. By Shank on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

If the front office buys off on him as a person he is by far the best answer at 13th over all. With the wideouts we have to match up against this year..it is time we had a answer to that. Prince is good but he isn’t the Man to Man presents that deny’s the football that Smith is. Smith could be special, could be the best coverage defender in this draft.

37. By David on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

The Lions’ situation is neither dire enough, nor solid enough to mess around Smith. Amukamara in the 13th would be an absolutely cromulent pick. We need a CB who can stay relevant into the 4th quarter. He’s that guy.

38. By lions may be good someday on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

i think yeah we NEED a cornerback because we have like houston and people…and deion branch ripped us up and deion branch is old…our secondary lacks….but second round i say get an offensive tackle….why do you think stafford gets killed every year…i know he isnt very tough but we need to protect him…joey harrington could have been decent if we actually blocked for the guy….but guess what nick fairley is still here….lions dont need a defensive tackle but dang….cant beieve he slipped through

39. By Mark on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

How bout the “Beast” Nick Fairley! Great pick by the Lions, back to back Lombardi winners!

40. By Robert on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

WOW. WTF. The Lions were lucky enough to have Prince Amukamara fall to them at #13 and they just picked Nick Fairley! As if we didn’t already have Suh, Williams, and Hill. Yeah Detroit our CBs are so good. I was just praying the Vikings would pass on him and then so did the Lions. WTF. I think we have to take Jimmy Smith now. Mayhew and Schwartz did good the last two years, but what was that? So mad…

41. By Goodz on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know about you guys, but Nick Fairley dropping down to 13 is awesome. I just hope that he isnt a problem in the locker room and doesnt become a distraction like other teams thought he would be. Our D-Line is gonna be insane. Now we just need a CB in the 2nd round.

42. By lions may be good someday on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

excited bout fairley

43. By jojo on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

How about a Nick Fairley and Ros I Dowling as a first and second pick. what if Da Quan Bowers falls to us would it be bad thing to snatch him up as well?

44. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 3, 2012 | Reply

He played well for Baltimore, I like his speed and footwork and he kept his nose clean. So far atleast…