Johnson: ‘It’s only our first practice and Stafford is already testing me’

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on July 29, 2011 – 1:46 pm

“I was in Atlanta during the offseason. Went to the Caribbean for a little bit on vacation. Other than that, I was just training. I worked out with trainer Tom Bender and a bunch of guys I went to school with at Tech. We trained at a bunch of places, but mostly Georgia Tech.

“We focused on a lot of stuff that is designed to prevent injury. I started working with him last year and it kind of paid off, so hopefully we have those same results – if not better – this year. I feel 100-percent … or at least I did before this first practice. I’m recovering right now, but I’ll feel better.

“Right now we’re just getting our legs up under us. You can be in top-grade shape, but until you get here and start doing football stuff – football drills – you’re not really going to be in ‘football shape’, so to say.

“It’s only our first practice and Stafford is already testing me. He’s putting the ball all the way out there – he thought that was funny. I worked out with him a little bit this offseason – he looked good and he still looks good right now.

“We’ve got a good thing going right here, right now. We’ve just got to keep our key guys healthy this year and there’s no telling what we can do. I’ve been the underdog my whole career, so it’s kind of cool to have some good light shined on you. I don’t think anybody is going to get a big head here or anything like that.

“We’ve got a group that works hard all the time. We’ve got the same core group of guys here, so we’re going to keep on working hard and having a good tempo of practices. As long as we have good practices, that translates to Sundays.”

Tags: ,
Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 49 Comments »

49 Responses to “Johnson: ‘It’s only our first practice and Stafford is already testing me’”

1. By Frank on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Keep up the good work Mr. Johnson. If Mr. Stafford tests you, test him right back. Lions are my fav – Gooooo Lions!

2. By toocool1 on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Just keep practicing hard get the db’s on the same page and get matt use to looking for the check down receiver and get rid of the ball quickly to keep the offense on the field and let the defense rest and we should b okay this year

3. By jim kowalski on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

It is great to see that our start players have sucha great attitude going into this season. many was the year that camp came around and there were players complaining and bickering and whining. now, it seems that the coaching staff has instilled a new winning mentality in the team. so glad to see more positive steps for our organization. I am hopeful every season, but this year I am really expecting good things to happen for us. and I am sure that D Mcnabb is not too thrilled to face the Silver Crush twice this year after what they did to him in one game last year.

4. By Jordan on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

keep it up fellows i’ll see ya week 2 for the home opener!

5. By teonte westley on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Love what yo doing coach keep up the good work on bringing in the right people

6. By Marcus on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Game speed like practices wins games builds stamina.

7. By Brent on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

I love the grit of this evolving team. I can’t wait for the season to start. Go Lions!

8. By Richard on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Wear it on your sleeve and we will get there! Stay hungry! Go Lions!

9. By eric on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Nick Fairley is a beast!!!!!!!!!!!

10. By billo313 on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

i better see yall kickin butts this year

11. By DRAESHAWN LUNDY on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

A MATT STAFFORD IM LIKING THE LEADERSHIP THAT YOUR DOING WITH YOUR TEAMATES MAN IM #1 FANS OF DETROIT……. AND HEY I HOPE WE TALKING PLAYOFFS

12. By DRAESHAWN LUNDY on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

WERE TALKING PLAYOFFS WITH THE LEADERSHIP YOU SHOWING MATT STAFFORD!!!!!!!!!!

13. By steve on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

THIS IS THE YEAR FOR OUR LIONS !!! Sundays watching the lions win or lose is the most gratifying feeing in the world!! Except for the feeling I spend every day with my wife Mrs.Elaine Wait!! Happy Annivesary Lanie 3 years xxoo.

14. By DPhresh on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

I can’t wait for this season. I’ve been on the West coast rooting for Blue and Silver for the last 15 years and I’m coming home this season to stay. This team looks like winners.

15. By LionzPride on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

We should have a GR8 year and there will be allot of fantasy football studs on out team as well ;)

RESTORE THE ROAR !!!

16. By LionzPride on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Corrected grammar: “out” to “our”

We should have a GR8 year and there will be allot of fantasy football studs on our team as well ;)

RESTORE THE ROAR !!!

17. By Richard on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Lets Go!!! I’m so excited for us this year

18. By Mario on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Cant wait to see You guys show the Division WE ARE BACK !! and never think of taking away our turkey game !!!

19. By Rick on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Just beat the Bears!!!

20. By chris k toledo oh on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

go detroit love the talent put it together and things look good but we need to sign a good cb to help out the d and a linemen or two to take some reps to protect stafford calvin well mega tron is all i have to say get him the ball good luck detroit im behind ya you guys have it in you playoffs when we are down in the forth by 7 or 3 do what it take and believe on your teamates to have your back win win win

21. By Brian Rexford on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Been a fan for 40 plus years, lets do this you got everyone pulling for you. WE ARE HUNGRY AND LOVE OUR LIONS!!!

22. By DRAESHAWN LUNDY on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

to be real people when the patriots went to the superbowl vs the Giants my cousin asked me if the Lions was in the Giants spot in the superbowl he said do u think the lions would win. i said”no. but now i do think they can make it to the superbowl and win. thats how much improvement the lions did every since they went 0-16. were proud of the lions organization from making some good decsions thats for coach JIM FROM CHANGING OUR FRANCHISE AROUND THANKS ALOT MAN. WE HAVE TEAM IN OUR DIVISION SAYING WERE GOING TO BE A TROUBLE WITH THEM SO I LIKE THAT AND SHOW IT ON THE PLAY FIELD

23. By Wayne Wasserman on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I live in NJ. I’ve been rooting for the Lions since they drafted the legendary Barry Sanders. Since he retired in 1999, this is the most excited I’ve been going into the start of any season. You guys are loaded with great talent. Playoffs are NOT out of the question!

24. By Gary Brinin on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

OH Man, I AM SO READY FOR SOME LIONS FOOTBALL!!!!

25. By Gary Brinin on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

ok lions, Heres your next t-shirt
    I LOVE THE LIONS!!!
    SO SUH ME!!!

I only need 20% of t-shirt sales

26. By Ray Fields on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Hey keep up the good work guys. I’m glad to hear about the free agent signings and extremely proud to see you guys finally being talked about as a team to fear. They better realized the offensive and defensive weapons we have. Everybody’s talking about the D line which they should…. The Blue Crush is my nickname suggestion by the way. But the offense will be the most deadly this year with Matt being healthy. and the Rasheed Davis and Titus Young and Best being healthy, all I have to say is watch last years eagles game. And Levy Delmas and believe it or nor Alfonzo Smith and Ashlee Palmer have earned my respect. I love the way the play hard all the time. Good luck fellas on a great year. I smell Lombardis ass all the way from Detroit ya feel me

27. By Rev. M. Bradfield on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Calvin, God Bless, I am r Pastor Arnold’s Asst. Preacher…… We will be praying for a sucessful year for you and the entire Detroit Lion’s franchise. Keep on training Calvin, they can’t catch you as it is, but keep on training…. God Bless , we love you

28. By scott hicks on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

hey wassup big C just wanted to ask you to give a whisper in the coaches ear im sure they do their homework very well but i wanted to mention buster skrine cb from tennesee chatanooga was very impressed by him did alot of filmwork on him and he looks to be solid if he can beef up a bit thanx for your time

29. By Mark Malinowski on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Calvin you are the MAN! I’ve been a lifelong Lions fan and know other Lions fans feel the same when i say, when contract time comes up PLEASE sign on to be a Lion for life too! This group can be special for years to come!!!

30. By BluejayChip on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

40 year fan here…and I can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to this year. Been sporting my Lions gear in the New England area for 10 years now…through the thick and thin!!! Funny how this year…nobody is making fun of it !! :)

Good Luck CJ (Megatron)…it’s been a pleasure watching you in the Honolulu Blue and I look forward to many years more…

Lets hope the health stays well and Peter Kings prediction comes true. Go Lions!!

31. By Casey on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I love the Lions. I’m about to order me a suh jersey.

32. By DavidMerrill on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I’m a lion fan since Milt Plum days…. Karra, Landrey and Sanders, all of them. This really could be the year, and we always say that. But this time its different. As a kid I was at the Dempsey 63-yard FG game… we have some replay moments coming in 2011. Lets coin a new one: Bless you Blue Boys !

33. By DavidMerrill on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Typos notwithstanding, we Lion fans know the names… Milt, Alex, Greg, Charlie, Barry….and now Matthew, Calvin, Mr. Suh. This is a franchise that is reborn. Look out for the Bless You Blue Boys….

34. By Scottie P. on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

@BluejayChip… Loyalty! I love being a Lions fan and thats one of the main reasons! 40 years of loyalty, through it all! Let’s go D!!!!

35. By Bob on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Forward Down The Field!!!!

36. By lee on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

been a lions fan my entire life. 45 years . win or lose .I work with some packer fans and the jokes have stopped,they can see it coming too!!!. I love our coaching staff,killer defense and offensive weapons and no have not given up on stafford. when the lions drafted him #1 it was the greatest day of my life .(other than the birth of my 10 children.) goooo lions.

37. By shnoid on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

redo staffords contract to the new level of the rookie sal please hes always injured any ways and our 2 backup are just as good as he is

38. By SteveK on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

The Lions are fast becoming a team nobody wants to play . I like that . The gang mentality is there too . Hit one you hit em all & can expect payback , swiftly :-)

39. By phxLion on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Go Lions! Looking forward to seeing you guys in Oakland. Playoff bound if you guys can stay healthy. Like what C.J. said about Staff pushing him. You guys can do it, if you believe in yourselves, your coaches, and HEARTS!

40. By Chris on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

You are a class act Calvin, we are lucky to have you on the Lions. We really want you to be here for the next 10+ years. Here in Minnesota there is grudging respect going your way. Can”t wait to see you guys on the field this year.

41. By Jamel_G on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Keep it up brother. I have been a Lions fan all my life and will support you guys to the end… 0-16 I was still with ya!

“You dress good, you look good, You feel good, you play good, they pay good!” <== Always gotta look good! :) Prime-Time

42. By norm on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

have been getting together every sun.with friend since high school 72 grad.Now we have Suh and Fairlly the black and blue brothers the wait is over.

43. By clint dee on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

good to see we have someone that knows how to bring good talent in its been a long time coming . i like this group of guys its was no quit in that front four now they just have to get the mind set that they can win and we should see more w this year .

44. By clint dee on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

coach please put this on the board in the locker room from day one ” if you go hard in practice and on every play on sunday we can and will win” in the past we have had to many good players that took to many play off. “not this group”

IM NAMING THE DEFENCE THE BLACK AND BLUE CREW.BECAUSE AFTER A SUNDAY OF DEALING THIS DEFENCE THE OTHER TEAM WILL BE BLACK AND BLUE

45. By Army Lions Fan on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Born & raised in the real “Big D”…In Iraq ready to cheer the Team to Victory

46. By logan on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Im a lions fan whom just moved back to michigan from . . . chicago. all i ask is that you stomp the bears. i dont mean beat them 21-14 i mean embarrass them. ill see you boys at ford field for some monday night football against the bears. get it done

47. By Bonn Stevens on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

I’ve been with you guys for 20 years. I just want you all to know I have faith and with dedication, I will soon see you win it all. Thanks for the hard work last year. Well all gained alot of respect. We don’t have to shyly admit we are Lions fans any more.

48. By Bob on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Army Lions Fan……….. Thank You for your service and God Bless.
    Oh Yeah……. GO LIONS!

49. By bobert on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

LIONNNNSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! stafford needs to stay healthy, keep that stong D line, and were going to playoffs. if the seahawks could do it we can to and we will.