Posted by Tara Altman on July 29, 2011 – 2:45 pm

“My first practice was definitely a little tough for me, especially because I had to do my conditioning test this morning instead of last night, so it kind of lingered over into practice a little bit. My legs were a little tired and the speed is a lot faster (than college), so today was definitely pretty tough for me, but it will get easier from here.

“I definitely think missing the rookie mini-camps put us (rookies) at a disadvantage from the previous years because we weren’t able to get into the playbook and get a feel for the game speed and all of those things before camp.

“It’s kind of all hit us at once, which is definitely a bit of a disadvantage, but this team specifically, has a lot of veterans and a lot of people who know the system, so it’s only the rookies that need to learn the system. As rookies, we have to get on our job a little bit more and get after it.

“I’m learning the playbook. I’ve always been a quick learner, so I don’t think it will take too long for me to feel comfortable in the offense, but it’s definitely a learning process.

“As far as the running backs, everyone is cool. Everyone is helpful. There are no selfish guys in our group; it really seems like everyone is looking forward to working with each other.

“Having a former player, Sam Gash, as my position coach is good because you feel like what he’s preaching, he’s been through it. It’s not like he’s just a guy that’s never played football before. It definitely feels good that he’s an ex-player and knows what we’re going through so that he can handle us a certain way.

“Before coming to Detroit I was training, traveling, visiting family and friends. I’ve never really had a break like that before because in college we would be going through spring ball, summer workouts and stuff like that.

“Basically I’ve just been relaxing, enjoying some time off and staying in shape, so that I’m ready to roll. I’m very, very, very excited for the preseason. I can’t wait.”

24 Responses to “Leshoure: ‘Today was definitely pretty tough for me, but it will get easier from here.’”

1. By Marcus on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

You need to help Stafford upright, I can’t handle another year with him down cause I won’t have any hair left if he does. You Runn your Butt off rookie runn your Butt off!

2. By G$ on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Mikel – really looking forward to getting you into the mix. Hopefully Javid is healthy, you guys should be a great 1 – 2 punch for years. You’ve got some of the best fans in the world up here; eat, drink and sleep football! I live in MS and am a die hard Wolverine. I saw you embarrass Rich-Rod’s joke defense – sorry the Wolves couldn’t help prepare you more for the NFL. Looking forward to watching you for years to come. Welcome to Detroit!

G$

3. By billo313 on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

i agree with MARCUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. By Chevella Leshoure on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

HELLO LIL BRO:) HOW ARE YOU? BLESSED I PRAY. I WANT TO SAY ” I LOVE YOU:)” I AM VERY PROUD OF YOU:) I AM A FIRM BELIEVER THAT IF YOU KEEP GOD FIRST IN EVERYTHING THAT YOU DO, GOD WILL DEFINITELY BRING YOU THROUGH. GOD DID NOT BRING YOU THIS FAR TO LEAVE YOU NOW:) BRO KEEP A POSITIVE ATTITUDE BECAUSE OBSTACLES WILL COME IN YOUR WAY, BUT DO NOT TAKE YOUR EYE OFF THE PRIZE. “KEEP YOUR FOCUS, DETERMINATION, AND MOTIVATION ON YOUR GOAL( TO BE THE BEST RUNNING BACK/FOOTBALL THAT YOU CAN BE:) PRACTICE MAKE PERFECT!! MAY GOD CONTINUE TO BLESS YOU:)!!!!

5. By Craig on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

SOOO Excited about Leshoure!!!!! Bring It Strong my man and lets establish a nice power running attack this year that gets us those short yardage sits and takes some heat off our passing game!!!

6. By Ryan Gardner on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Im excited for this season, to see what stafford is going to do and our new pick ups! But we are not playing yet! The Detroit lions have three good DTs and the Eagles have 3 good CBs, why not make a swop? Lions should trade williams for Rogers-cromartie or sammy!

7. By chris k toledo oh on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

i have faith in you put in the work and you will be great your a big guy and i see you like marion barber type of player but faster keep your head up and learn to watch the feild so you can run better

8. By Brad on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I also agree with Marcus !!!!!

9. By Drew on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Glad to have you here. I saw you play several times in college. You’re a hard runner and I can appreciate that. You and jahvid will make one heck of a one/two punch. Stay focused, stay humble and enjoy every minute. I’ll be watching you closely.

10. By BluejayChip on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Hang in there Mikel. You are definitely going to get your shot to make a difference this year. Learn the protections, and the playbook you mentioned, and your natural ability will take over. Good Luck. We are certainly in your corner!!!
    Go Lions

11. By Wayne Wasserman on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Mikel, you are part of the third straight great drat the Lions have had. And perhaps best of all, your are going to play a big role in the building of what is going to be a contender for years to come. Enjoy the ride and play HARD!

12. By andre on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

keep working hard and fight thru any pain or speed bumps you migt have. in the end i see u putting up big numbers and being one of the top rookies in the league.

13. By CeeJay20 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I don’t understand why we keep letting all of the great players go to other teams without trying to sign them. The Schwartz acts as if he has 20 years to building a winner. The average tenture of a player is only about 3-5 years and the guys are all getting olders each year, so you have to building to win quick and move on. If he keeps waiting for next years draft, we’ll never win.

I really don’t like Coach Schwartz, I think he’s in over his head and so is the general manager. I don’t think either one of them has a clue about how to building a winning team. For one they put all of their hopes in a quarterback that is basically a china doll and he’s not going to last three games without breaking again.

This team will never been any good as long as we keep hiring idiots to run it and general managers who a low rent, yes men. We need a real Gm and Coach who knows how to build a winner in less than a decade.

14. By CeeJay20 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I like some of the moves like drafting Fairley, and Suh, Calvin is Calvin (Mega Tron), and we have a few other pieces, but just look at how the Jets do things if you want to know how to build a winner. You can’t do it on the cheap or think that you can wait for 10 drafts in a row because the guys you drafted ten years ago will be too old to play. We have to get a new attitude and some brains and realize that other teams garbage is better than our current players and start picking up players like Plaxico, and that guy with the messed up name from the Raiders.

I’ve been a Lions fan for decades and I’m tired of losing and being ashamed to wear my gear to the store. The falcons, jets,and other teams got great because they know how to draft quarterbacks and good players. We on the other hand try to bring in miss goody two shoes players who can’t play for anything other teams because they aren’t good enough to even be in the NFL

15. By Bill Setzke on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Lions now have a situation like the old Army team. Mr. Inside and Mr. Outside. I hope the Lions can do as well as Army.

16. By THE GREAT AND POWERFUL OZ on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

you r bank dude pure bank stay focused on the target

17. By mike on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

detroit needs a good off -tackle

18. By Army Lions Fan on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

The Team had an excellent draft…what do we call Best & Leshoure? Gotta have a catch phrase/name

19. By Army Lions Fan on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Maybe Kick & Punch…pretty corny, huh?

20. By Lionforever on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Looked great running the ball both you and best.

21. By rj on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Mikel i watched almost every game that you played @ illinois. even though im a michigan fan. you were great i was always wishing we could have a RB like you to take over after hart left. But with the help of some veterans and jahvid best you guys will do perfectly fine. and if you keep working hard you can develop into a pro-bowler. that goes the same with titus and fairley.

22. By Ed Abbott on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Welcome to the hardest working city in America, where guts and sweat make the man. You will see how nice it is here, and understand the pride we take in our city, no matter what the rap says about us, there is no place like Detroit in the World. I am very proud to have you playing for our team, it is very nice to see that we finally have real men on the field, men that understand this game, and take personal pride in delivering every hit and every bit of energy they have in order to achieve one goal. Some day you will be faced with free agency, but I hope you remember this, Money isn’t everything when you have a battered city, and it’s fans praying that you never leave… you see we take this team personal, and love every thing about it, so please remember that you are part of us now, and all of the money in the world could never replace that… so welcome, I hope you embrace us the way we will embrace you, and never give up on each other… you’re family and families never bail out on each other.

23. By Michael on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Looking forward to see what a great combination Mikel and Jahvid will make, and secondly I think Schwartz has done a terrific job along with Martin Mayew considering the mess they had to work with after the Millen era, I think they have this team on the verge of being playoff contenders and are doing a good job at bringing in the best talent possible. Keep up the good work Lions and we will be seeing you in the playoffs very soon. GO LIONS!!!!

24. By JP O'Flaherty on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Like all Lions fans I was truly looking forward to your being the starting Lion’s RB this year. To think that you would be raplacing Barry Sanders the Best running back EVER, and a truly outstanding person and leader, is NOW a sad possibility. You have embarrassed and disgraced ALL of your teammates and Fans with your selfish, childish, immature actions. If it was up to me I’d cut your ass, and draft Martin from Boise State! Fairley and you and Culbreath have disgraced the team, and proved to be wasted draft picks, in a wasted draft!