Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on August 2, 2011 – 4:17 pm

“Right now there’s nothing going on but football. I’m trying to survive because not having any OTAs and going straight to football camp is very rough. I had a rough day yesterday as far as getting my legs up under me, but today felt a lot better.

“I’ve definitely gained muscle this offseason. Got in the bod pod today – measures your body fat, the muscle in your body, all that crazy stuff. There are definitely improvements. When I came in my rookie year, I was about 239, but I slimmed down because I didn’t really have to lift as much as I did coming here. But I got a lot of good lifting in this offseason. Trying to be as strong as I can because all it does is help me at the line of scrimmage.

“As long as it’s muscle I’m putting on and as long as I keep at the exercises – stretching and lifting that I’ve been doing to keep those quick twitch muscles going – it won’t slow me down. Of course I don’t want to be over 240, though.

“Other than that, I love the new guys. Love the new squad. Every year, since Schwartz got here, I’ve loved the guys on the team. We’ve got a bunch of hard workers; great character guys. My receiver group – fantastic receiver group. Always have a good time. Sometimes we get in trouble for having too much of a good time. But you’ve got to have fun.”

Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 39 Comments »

39 Responses to “Johnson: ‘Trying to be as strong as I can, because all it does is help me at the line of scrimmage’”

1. By T O Double D on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Yeah kid do it up Muscle-Tron

2. By tara on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

calvin ur the best WR out there!! keep up the good work n bring the lions to the super bowl!!!!

3. By Mike on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

He saw how Suh did people last year so he just wants to get in on the fun with those DB’s. Go get ‘em big man.

4. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Oh we have waited for this for 50 years. The best way to get in shape for football is to play football. Can’t wait to see you and stafford hooking up for long gains and TDs. My wife and I will be there for the 49ers game.

5. By Robin on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

keep working your already the best in the league bar none

6. By Woody Douglas on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

I LIKE YOUR OUTLOOK, VERY POSITIVE, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE A MEANSTREEK THE OPPOSING DB’S

7. By Marcus on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

That’s right bully and punish all defensive backs even your own teammates.

8. By David G on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Lets Go mega tron lets go all the way this year!!!!!!!

9. By Richard Heyman on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Calvin, Lifelong Lions fan, and I can definitely see a change in attitude and character on this team from past seasons. It is great to see high character guys like you and Suh, Stafford, VandenBosch on my team. It has been a long time coming, but I got a feeling the Packers are gonna be in trouble this year!

10. By Robert Skinner on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

As a life long Lions fan,I feel this is the best team,we have put on the field in many years, you guys rock.

11. By Ray on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Can’t wait till the season starts the offense and defense looks like they can be great. Lifelong lions fan.

12. By Jordan on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

i will be there on the home opener lets go megatron!

13. By MOTLEE92 on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Ican’t wait for this season to start. Lions fans have waited a long time for a team like this. Its going to be a great season, I can feel it!!!!!!LONG LIVE MEGATRON!!!!

14. By Kate on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Yeah were all looking forward to the start of the season, preseason right around the corner, superbowltron!

15. By TURE_FAVOR on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

@ CALVIN JOHNSON=KEEP GOING!

16. By lionsfaninhouston on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Keep up the hardwork, Megatron. Looking forward to watching you punish DBs all year. Can’t wait for the MNF game, cowboys, and saints game. Will be at all 3!

17. By kinn on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

CJ and andre johnson are neck and neck for the top reciever spot in the league. Us lions fan owe him for not asking for a trade years ago. After not having a qaurterback for so many years and to still play the way he has is amazing. hopefully stafford can stay healthy so he can show he has always really been number 1.

18. By LIONNUTS on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Been a Lions fan all my life. This team may be better than back in the day with Wayne Fontes. We were close back in the 90′s. The Lions are legit this year. Teams better mark there calenders!!! GO LIONS!!!!!!

19. By LIONNUTS on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

I saw on NFL network we signed FB Felton from the Broncos. I don’t know much about this guy. Gonna do some research. I live in Colorado. I’ve heard of him but that’s all.

20. By LIONNUTS on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

I feel stupid. Felton’s been here! DUH! I guess I just spaced him out because of all the running backs we have had.

21. By LIONNUTS on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

I guess we traded him to the Broncos or something.

22. By kc on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

yo my team is the eagles n the packers r wack. to be honest i feel like yall r better then them anyway. tell em to watch out.

23. By Chris on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

From what I have heard and seen the other teams’ DB’s are going have to change their shorts after they get a good look at you this year. Take it to em big guy!

24. By shonuff77 on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

megatron u the best on madden games an real life keep it up an keep on dunking the football when u score an suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh go lions playoffs this year!

25. By Dallas on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Does this mean you’ll stay?

26. By Fernando - Brazil on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Hey CJ, you’re the man.
    i’ve started to watch football games because of one of your catchs in a top10 highlights of 2008 season… ESPN BRAZIL was streaming!!

you are my favorite player…
    best of luck in 2011 season!

27. By Stephen on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Megtron u r the best in the game baby…cant wait to see u guys at the 49ers game…its going to be the first lions game I have ever seen live I’m pumped!!!!! Hopefully u can get a win.

28. By Skid Rock on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

I see a lot of messages personally to Calvin. Does anybody know for sure that the bloggers actually read the comments from fans? Either way, I’m excited about 2011. I won’t predict a Super Bowl yet, but with a little good fortune for a change, we should be a wild card and maybe put a stop to the jokes about our team that have been around for the last decade……..

2011: Wild Card Team….
    2012: NFC Champions….
    2013: Super Bowl Champions….

Good Luck to you guys, and enjoy the ride……

29. By bill lloyd on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

in delawere’ whats going on with avril

30. By bill lloyd on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

lot of news i get is old , are we going to get him back? hes really good

31. By Cody on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Calvin I hope this means you will stay!! We are building an extra room at our place strictly for you guys!! Fatheads on the walls, doin it big. So we all hope to see you in the blue n silver for life!! Btw break Randy Moss’ record this year, you’re a boss

32. By Gordy on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Long live MEGATRON! Be there 4 Monday Night! Later!

33. By terry putman on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Calvin there hav been times when u were the only thing we’ve had to keep us going and I know it hasn’t been easy 4 u 2 sit in those loseing locker rooms after all those games but it looks like the organization is finally giving u a reason to want to stay in Detroit and see if we can’t win us a DYNASTY!!! No one will deserve these wins more then you so let me be the first 1 to say, “Welcome to Detroit” this is the franchise u deserve to b with and I hope stay for many years to come! A little late, but better then never! CJ, go out and enjoy ur first winning season!!! I know I’m gonna!

34. By big o on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

GO lions this ur year bring dat super bowl championship home fellas go get em lions

35. By Marcus on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

wow and to think that teams was already having trouble w/ calvin and what does he do….adds more muscle! good luck nfl lol im too excited this year playoffs where we come…stfford 3500+…megatron 80-90 catches 1200+ yds…here we go!!!!!! LIONS!

36. By Michael Dalley on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Great work Megatron! I have been a Lions fan for 40 years and am more excited about 2011 and 2012 seasons than I have been since the 91 campaign. You are the best of the best and are also a fine young man to boot!

Keep it up!!

Michael

37. By stephen scotton on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

how r u doing im a huge fan of yours. i have a question to ask u calvin. i met your coach accouple of weeks ago in salisbury, md at a mall. i met his wife and three kids into dicks sporting good. i got his autograph with my son. he should remember this becasue i had a detriot lions tattoo like johnny morton did and im from delaware. well to make a long story short i have been trying to email him to ask him to have everyone on the team sign a football and send it to me for my son. i would send the ball to you guys and pay for shipping myself. if i could i would be at the practices but i cant. it would be a honor if you would ask him to hit me back in an email please.

38. By david on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

You are THE man, Calvin! This is the year! The NFL will stand up and take notice of us. You’re the leader on offense, Calvin. You’re the focus. This is YOUR year! I can’t wait to watch you! Bring it!!! Bring it ALL! Go LIONS!!

39. By Frank Timmons on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Mega tron and Mo Town is the next twin towers to watch out for.
    Johnson and Stovall