Posted by Tara Altman on August 3, 2011 – 1:56 pm

“After a couple of practices, I’m still getting used to the speed and the tempo, but that’s all going to come with more repetition and more practices.

“I’m getting more comfortable with my playbook. I’ve been studying every night and I’ve been studying a lot more than when I was in college, as I’m understanding what it’s like to be a professional at this level. I’m definitely getting into the books at night, looking over the script a day ahead, and that’s allowing me to play a little bit faster.

“Going along with the speed (of practice), the defense is definitely faster, more athletic, bigger, stronger – all that – than in college. This is the top level of football, so I think I’m adjusting and getting a feel for everything, but those guys are fast and those holes open and close. I’m learning how to pace and accelerate when I see those holes and run real hard through them, keeping my legs moving.

“There’s really not too much of a difference from this system and Illinois’. We had a pro style offense, a lot of two backs and things like that, most of the stuff that we run here. Our offensive coordinator at Illinois told me that he was pretty good friends with Scott Linehan, so a lot of the things we do here are similar.

“I feel like I get a long with everybody in the locker room, especially the offensive guys, getting to know them and joking around with them. I look for their help if I need anything or have any questions; everybody here is supportive.

“I’ve been getting pretty good rest and eating right, so I haven’t been feeling too exhausted at the end of the day, other than your typical soreness and things like that. So far, I’m doing fine.”

19 Responses to “Leshoure: ‘After a couple of practices, I’m still getting used to the speed and the tempo.’”

1. By Robin on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Keep up the good work It will be worth it in the end Listen to your elders GO LIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. By John Laroe on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

I’m a long-time die hard Lions fan since ’91 from down here in Champaign, IL and I’m ecstatic to see our local Champaign stud who starred for us at Illinois now getting ready to tear it up for my favorite NFL team!! I’m rooting for you Mikel, you’ll do great – you have some Lions love down here in Champaign, I’ll be sporting the Lions gear around town all year……might just have to get me a MIkel jersey to add to my collection :) You’ll be a great complement to Javhid Best, can’t wait to see you tear it up this year

3. By lionsfaninhouston on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Can’t wait to see you punish some defenders.

4. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

OK, just stay out of establishments with spirits and fast women. Focus on the game

5. By joe on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

yo ghost of bobby layne, just tell him do as I say, not as I did

6. By Marcus on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Run rookie run!

7. By Doug L on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

With Felton gone, you’re the only power back we have left. Punish those who dare get in your way. We are so ready for a smash mouth running back!!

8. By terry putman on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Your playing for so much more in a Lions uniform! We are the most loyal fans u will ever play for and the most hungry for a championship! We’ve stuck with this team through the bad and the ugly and now its looking like were going to b rewarded! Its time to show the world we have the “Best” running back tandem in all of football and that’s “Leshoure” (get it)

9. By LanceManly on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Mikel; you’re lookin’ good; quick fast and putting in the effort.

I am glad the Lion’s were able to draft you; I would have jumped with the 2nd pick, but Mayhew and Schwartz did an intelligent two-fer get both you and Young.

I am expecting Best and you easily surpassing the 1,000 yard rushing combined… hopefully 1,500 yards and playoffs!

Go Lions!

10. By LeoBoiler on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Be yourself, take it to’em. Will be a fu year to watch the Lions offense grow and accelerate. We’re glad you are on our team! Go Lions!

11. By John Neal on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

keep your head in the game bro, go out and prove to the rest of the team and the nfl that u mean business…..go b that BA that u know u can b….good luck

12. By Trevor on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

yea keep up the good work and i hope we can go on top of the nfc north.

13. By Rick N on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Felton is not gone Doug L ???

LeShoure you were and still are my favorite RB in this draft, not just because of your skill and how you play but because of your great attitude. Keep that work my butt off and stay humble attitude and i know you will be a great success. This team is going to be big WINNERS soon and you will want to be a part of the party with these great ever so patient and deserving fans !!!

14. By david on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

As a Big Ten fan, I almost jumped out of my shoes when the Lions drafted you. You’re a smash-mouth type of player and I’m so excited to see you in a Lions uniform. You were a great college player now please, PLEASE, bring that intensity to the pros. You and Jahvid could be an AWESOME tandom! Lions fans are hungry. We want MEAT! You’ll not see more loyal fans than us. BRING IT!

15. By Rodaja on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Hey ML how are you doing? Do you have the foot work of a boxer yet, or are your feet getting stuck in the turf? A lot of runners are “bound” on their feet and this translates to how fast they can shift from “hunkering down” to slamming it into “take off.” I believe you can be the premier running back to the lions, not Best. Reports from college tend to give many of us insight into players health. Turf toe — indicative of a “bound runner”, or a back playing less than one hundred percent. Even Barry had a turf toe, so did Viking’s Peterson, some one told me you remind them of a hybrid between those two, enjoy your style of game we will be cheering!

16. By Phil on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

I heard Mikel tore his today and out for the year….as an Illlini fasn I am super bummed

17. By rocc419 on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

give’em hell ML…Lions fan since 91

18. By john white on May 1, 2012 | Reply

hi mike, first and formost im a big fan from your college days at ill. your a breat and i was hoping to see you perform for the lions. hows your rehab going and how do you think you’ll do this summer?

19. By ghost on May 1, 2012 | Reply

The players do not read these posts. I know this will make everyone mad but what do millionaire dope smokers care about us.