Johnson on injuries, competing against Lions’ corners

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on August 10, 2011 – 10:40 am

“Losing Leshoure is unfortunate. He was having a good camp. I was looking forward to seeing the one-two punch of him and Jahvid, but it will happen in years to come. It’s unfortunate that we have lost the players we’ve lost. Those guys are great additions to what we already had going on here.

“We’ve still got a great core of guys that are still healthy and ready to play, though, and we learned a lot from last season. I think going into this season, we’ll keep ourselves out of a lot of the bad situations that we were prone to putting ourselves in last year.

“One thing you’ve got to do is keep your guys – the backup guys – in tune with what’s going on because you never know when somebody’s going to go down and somebody’s going to have to step up. If you don’t do that, of course you can’t expect those guys to go out there and perform like the starters would. But if you do keep those guys in tune, that should be an expectation for those guys when they have to step in.

“As for camp, and the players I’m practicing with, I’m glad to have Chris and Eric Wright out there because it’s good to go against good corners. It makes you better. So it’s good for me, good for Nate, good for all of us as a receiving corps to just go up against those guys every day. I’m not going to say who’s doing better against me, though. Let’s just say both of those guys do a good job. It’s good competition – let’s put it like that.

“Eric is definitely a splash corner. He makes big plays. Whenever we played him when he was in Cleveland, maybe almost every game he got a pick. He took some of them back to the house, too. Those are some things I’m looking forward to having out of him this year.

“He is very confident and corners have to be. It’s going to be up and down, but you have to be able to bounce back and that’s been him throughout his career. He’s always been able to make those plays. Of course, if you’re a corner, you’re going to get beat sometimes, but you’ve got to bounce back. It’s all about how you come back.”

Tags: , , , ,
Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 14 Comments »

14 Responses to “Johnson on injuries, competing against Lions’ corners”

1. By Wayne Wasserman on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Calvin, is it any wonder why Lion’s fans and fantasy league owners love you so much?! You have a good head on your shoulders. You really have a great grasp of what’s important.

If I were a fantasy league owner, you’d be in my top 2 or 3 picks.

If Matt can stay healthy this year, I think you will have a MONSTER season, maybe 1,300 – 1,500 yards, and 14 – 17 touchdowns…maybe more!

You are the best WR the Lions have had since Herman Moore, and you will certainly go down in history as the best WR this franchise has ever had.

My $ is on you having a Hall of Fame career.

Just take care of your body, keep your head on straight, and keep your passion for the game, and everything else will take care of itself.

2. By terry putman on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

You know I never even thought about the fact that u hav never had great corners to practice against. YOU FREAK! I don’t know how u could get any better. Some of the catches u make just defies nature. The only thing I want as much as a winning season is for u to re-sign with us Calvin. U R THE DETROIT LIONS! God bless you and your family Calvin!!!

3. By JeremyB666 on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

It sure is nice to see, once again, what a great man Calvin Johnson is. Calvin I wish you nothing but success in your career and the rest of your life. Once a Lions fan! ALWAYS A LIONS FAN!!! And think about this, the Packers won the Super Bowl last year and HALF of their team was injured. Injuries will happen but it is how the team responds that will truly tell how great the team is. The first pre season game is a few days away. It is go time!! ROARRR!

4. By Ralpheal Jackson on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

When is Calvin’s contract up? I know he said if we can turn things around he has no promblem staying, which would be awesome, either way, I just happy for what for he brings to the game, modesty and amazing skills.

5. By Marcus on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Punish the corners, this is your team Calvin! But I bet Roary can check you.

6. By Jordan on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

just wait stafford is gonna be ready he is so hungry you don’t even know my boys know whats up enough said

7. By larry on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

This is the year of the Lion.As we all know, a team of Lions is called a pride.They are successfull because they act as a team.They hunt as a team to subdue their prey.Our prey is the NFL! Do not try to stand in our way! Pride! Lions! Get my point!! Lions on 3 hut!!

8. By Josh on Aug 11, 2011 | Reply

Calvin great talent. I cant wait to see u up against the best. Say Revis. I want to see u beat them all. ROAR

9. By JC Licona on Aug 11, 2011 | Reply

Calvin Johnson is the best WR in a lot of years maybe the best of the WR who play now in the NFL but the most important is he is a great human i hope him the best

10. By mike on Aug 11, 2011 | Reply

hey cj when your done playing ball for us i hope u come back and help coach us…….
    take your time, your doing great where your at right now.

11. By norm on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

remember to finish the play and remind suh not to push cutler down to hard

12. By THE GREAT AND POWERFUL OZ on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

I see a great season on my crystal ball.

13. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Calvin makes everybody better…

1. 1 Trackback(s)

2. Aug 11, 2011: Lions’ roar hindered by injuries… again. « Sports from a girl's POV… Let's talk balls.