Johnson: ‘I don’t like taking too many days off’

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on August 16, 2011 – 2:31 pm

“First day back at practice after I had a little shoulder injury during the game. I have been trying to stay off it – take a couple days to get it right. I don’t like taking too many days off because we run so much. You don’t want to lose shape out there, especially this time of year.

“As far as the game, we came out real crisp. We had our minds right from the first snap. I was able to get into the game real early, got a ball early. That first drive, we just marched down. They played one-on-one, or single-high down there in the gold zone for us and we were able to put it up on them.

“We’ve got a bunch of guys that have been in the system for a few years, so – during the preseason – we just stick to what we do. We don’t really stray from the script too much. You also don’t want to show too much in the preseason.

“We will make certain adjustments out there, but as far as getting in depth into the playbook, we’ll hold off on that until the games that count get here.

“Even in the preseason, you definitely want to gain some yards. You always want to have a good running game. If you have a good run game, it makes everything easier out there – especially for us. That’s definitely one aspect of the game we want to sharpen up on.

“Bell and Harrison had just come in when we played that first game. They didn’t have their legs up under them. You definitely see a difference now. Every day this week, they are making sharp cuts – more and more every day – and you can tell they’re getting into better and better shape every day.

“The last few practices have been just been camp, working with situations and stuff like that. We’re not really game planning or anything like that right now – that will come later in the week.”

Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 6 Comments »

6 Responses to “Johnson: ‘I don’t like taking too many days off’”

1. By Lamont "King LP" Pinder on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

I just want to thank you Calvin, for signing my authentic Barry Sanders Before the Last Green Bay game, ya’ll haven’t lost since!!!!!!

2. By Jake on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Hey Calvin,
    Love your game, I have a suggestion for you . Do you remember when Michael Johnson was wearing the Gold Shoes in the Olympics? In honor of the Silver Crush tradition, could you start the trend of wearing a flashy Silver shoe with the toes dipped in Honolulu blue? That would be so swag!

3. By mississippi on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

i caint wait till the season starts i have been a for 19 years i really need to see a playoff game this year this team can do it

4. By LadyGray on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Calvin, I’m sure you have already thought about asserting yourself more in terms of a leadership role on this team. You’re not a Rah- Rah type guy but leadership comes in many forms. Your play speaks for itself but the really great players know when to really assert their greatness and leadership in ways that makes those around them better. This could your very special year. Carpe Diem!!!

5. By Black Wolf Standing on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Calvin, I remember sitting at home watching the first Superbowl. I remember watching the great Bobby Lane. I remember all the great Receivers and RB’s including Barry Sanders. Now, I will remember you.
    The only thing about all those I remember, none of them brought home a Superbowl ring. Be the first!

6. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 3, 2012 | Reply

Calvin Johnson is EVERYTHING a Lion fan could want in a player! He is soooo talented, soooo hard-working and just a really great guy.