Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on August 25, 2011 – 3:13 pm

“I don’t even know what this whole touchdown celebration thing is about. Somebody came up to me today telling me that they’re talking about it on Sportscenter. I don’t celebrate. It’s actually going to be Nate that’s going to be doing the celebrating. He’s trying to get me to go in on it with him, but it’s a one-person thing.

“We talk about them, though. He always tells us what he’s going to do. He ran the Lebron one across us. My favorite one so far was the one he did in Dallas last year. He drew the star with his fingers and he punched through it. That was cool. We both came up with one for that game. He did that one and I stood on the star. I can’t wait to see this week’s celebration. I hope he practices it in the mirror.

“Nate’s been having a good preseason and it’s great to see that. It’s big. He’s doing a heck of a job out there. We have a lot more weapons at our disposal. He was a little knicked up last year, so that kind of takes away from what you can do, but it’s great to have him in full effect.

“He brings a lot of energy. He wakes everybody up, he gets everybody going. That’s just him. He does have a strong personality. He makes sure we’re ready to play.”

Tags: ,
Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 21 Comments »

21 Responses to “Johnson: ‘It’s actually going to be Nate that’s going to be doing the celebrating’”

1. By Chris on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Nate HAS looked outstanding. Can’t wait to get everyone on the field together and going full tilt. I LOVE the Lions!!!

2. By terry putman on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

On behalf of all Lions fans I just want to say that Nate is one of ours for sure! We love having him here in the honolulu blue! He’s been making some crazy touchdowns and its nice to know we still hav a play maker when Calvin needs some rest. God,family,football!

3. By Ronald Wakefield on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

How about just handing the ball to the ref after a score instead of showboating and getting stupid penalties. Be like Barry Sanders and just do your job with some class.

4. By Cody on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Just like Barry, all class and that’s why we love you MEGATRON! It helps that you are a monster and make DBs look like high schoolers

5. By Brenda on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

I don’t mind the celebrating in the end zone so much, although I prefer the Barry Sanders approach – hand the ball to the ref and continue about your business – but I DETEST when players stand up, give the crowd a look and make the “first down” signal after having made the first down. Get over yourself – you still have a job to do until you reach that end zone! Don’t showboat prematurely – you could just as easily drop the next pass or fumble the next carry, so now you just look like a fool. GO LIONS!!!!

6. By cw on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Yes! Glad to see these celebration stories were bogus. Getting sick of all the diva WRs.

7. By The great and powerful OZ on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Detroit “PRIDE”

Let the funny money ride.

Don’t bet against the silver and blue.

Let the haters and the doubters do what they do.

We can see the promised land’s horizon.

Aint it great to be a Detroit LION?

8. By Casey on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

I had a feeling Burleson was trying to get the best of Calvin here. The best celebration you’ll ever have will be the one in the locker room. After you win a super bowl. Remember that.

9. By dustin on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Let them do what they do. thats why there pros and you are not. we finally have something to celebrate about so celebrate GO LIONS

10. By Jake on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Hey Calvin,
    Love your game!! I traded Hakeem Nicks and Tampa Mike Williams to get you on my fantasy team. Can you do me a favor and be smart about your play making this year. I guy that run 4.3 40 and jumps 45 inches off the ground has to remember that you have to come down hard on shoulders and tailbones and stuff like that. Call up Larry Fitzgerald for me and ask him how he’s able to dive and not get hurt? And let us know? LOL!!

11. By MikeyD on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

C’mon ppl, stop trying to suck all the fun out of the game. Goddell has done a good enough job of that already. Who cares if the players want to celebrate after a good play, its a GAME and its suppose to be FUN. I actually encourage the energy that Nate brings to the franchise, we need more explosive and charismatic players like him.

12. By clyde on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Is Calvin playing any this Saturday against N.E.?

13. By Jon on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

If I see anyone celebrating in the endzone when they’re behind in the game, i’m gonna be sick. Celebrate when you win the superbowl!!!!!!!!

14. By G DUB on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

BARRY DID HAVE THE GREATEST CELEBRATION “HEY, I KNOW I SCORED, YOU KNOW I SCORED, THERE’LL BE MORE. HERE REF, I’M DONE WITH THIS”

15. By Black Wolf Standing on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

I said it before, the best celebration any player can do is the high fives given to your team mates after you returned to the sideline.

16. By Bob on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

I love the energy Nate aka Receptacon brings on the field… If you never played sports before you might not understand… But sometimes a team needs that energy to get them going… Maybe its after a touchdown or first down, but in any case most the time it sends adrenaline rush through the players… Because believe me theres a lot of trash talking that goes on out there, so that extra celebration is that perfect comeback… Calvin aka Megatron Is more then a beast and I’m glad Nates there for him… They will help each other out… Go lions! And Casey your right The best celebration is after winning the superbowl!

17. By Jeff jr. on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

I agree BOB!!!! Lets go Megatron and Receptacon… I like that name! Go lions!

18. By lionnuts on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

Agree with Wolf:I think it’s great when the QB & WR & other players hook up after a TD and celebrate together. It is a TEAM SPORT. GO LIONS!

19. By Beetle on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

I agree that the Barry Sanders approach is the best. After all, getting into the end zone is what you get paid to do and celebrating it after every touchdown makes me feel that you don’t think that you will ever get there again. Barry’s approach was kind of a “no big deal because I’ll be here again soon” attitude. If you are going to celebrate at all, then just do the Emmet Smith thing and get down on your knee and pay homage to the LORD for giving you the ability to do the things that you do.

20. By derp on Aug 28, 2011 | Reply

Don’t like showboating, stick to college football.

21. By Darren Harold on Aug 28, 2011 | Reply

I like when a guy scores a touchdown and acts like he’s done it a thousand times and just hands the ball to the ref and trots off the field. Barry was the best at that…probably because he did it a thousand times