Best, Vanden Bosch among players ruled out for Saturday’s game

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on August 26, 2011 – 1:42 pm

The Lions have announced which players have been ruled out for Saturday’s preseason game against New England:

• RB Jahvid Best
  • DT Nick Fairley
  • T Jason Fox
  • RB Maurice Morris
  • DE Kyle Vanden Bosch
  • CB Alphonso Smith

Notable game-time decisions include wide receiver Calvin Johnson and rookie wide receiver Titus Young.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

36 Responses to “Best, Vanden Bosch among players ruled out for Saturday’s game”

1. By S.J.D. on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Notice how that list is compiled of all needed and outstanding players.. Lets hope they all get healthy in time for the regular season! Hope to see Titus Young on the field.. i want to see what this quick young guy has got in him to bring the Lions victories!

2. By HMG on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Keep them out! No point in risking them for the pre-season!

3. By Jon Herman on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

I am fine with all of these guys not playing until the games count! It would be nice to get these guys all on the same page, but I have faith in my squad making some noise this year. 3500-1 odds to win the superbowl…. i think I found a $100 investment!!! Go Detroit!!!!

4. By joe eiserman on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

No big deal, it’s pre-season. If theres any question as to their health then let them sit. The Lion’s need them 100% to start the season. Why gamble.

5. By BOWHUNTER53 on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

I think the team will be fine…Young is suppose to play Saturday night, I can’t wait to see his speed..I can’t wait too see Fairley get healthy & he & Suh, side by side..That is going to be a Quarterback’s nightmare!!!

I have been a fan of the Lions for over 40 years…I have never seen the stadium personally, or watched a game from the stands, but I have the NFL Sunday Ticket, and watch them every regular season game and also on the NFL Network Channel when they televise the pre season games…

I have been through thick and thin with them, taking alot of ridicule, being in Packer Country, especially when the Lions went 0-16, this is one of the most talented teams that this franchise has ever put together and I only see the sky is the limit with them….Go Lions!!!!

6. By andrew on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

I think Jim Schwartz is making the best decision to sit the players listed. Preseason has little meaning, besides they will be rested for the regular season and ready to go. GO LIONS! This is YOUR year to silence the media and other internet users. They have shot themselves between the legs and the head.

7. By Berty Bert on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

I wish we didn’t have to sit anyone out..Were going to fight. A win over the Patriots will be a confidence builder or fus. Whoevers playing let’s battle and get this VICTORY anyway necessary.. Let’s GO!! LIONS…

8. By Dan on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

i agree andrew, why try and get these guys really hurt instead of letting them fully heal

9. By Caleb on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Totally agree, rest ‘em up so they’re ready to go when it counts!

10. By Vivek on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Agree with sitting them. The only argument I can see is with playing Fairley and possibly Titus Young. We are all anxious to see what they can do. But they are already nursing injuries…I’ll take Schwartz’s word when he says they are killing it in practice!

Can you say SUH-perbowl?? Soon…I hope!

11. By Oldcat on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Titus Young needs some game time against NFL talent prior to the start of the regular season to get a real feel for the speed of the competition. And though Fairley probably is still quite a way from being ready to play, it’s seriously too bad he can’t. He needs the experience. It likely will affect his competency well into the season, if not his entire first season.

12. By Jordan on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

yeah that sucks about kyle but hopefully they get over this crap and are ready when it counts

13. By joseph on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Rest them all and keep the Motor City Cast Iron Wall healthy

14. By dale on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

im a lion fan in bears country,not easy hope lions kick bears butts this year

15. By Robert on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

It’s been a long time since we’ve been able to trully be excited about Lions football. I am looking forward to the return of a quality and competitive team to Detroit. We all have alot to be excited about with this team and the future. I look forward to the return of Lions Pride. Go Lions!

16. By Cheema on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

Vanden Bosch has done anything in fist 2 preseason games. Let`s see what the backups can do.

17. By Cheema on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

*has not

18. By mike on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

I have been a lions fan for 34 years never quit on them once! i live in Wisconsin now and defend them everyday. We can all say this might just be the best full team DETROIT has ever had. I believe in our coach like no others we have ever had. Its our turn!!!!! Give Detroit something to be proud of TIGERS AND LIONS PLAYOFFS SAME YEAR? Restore the roar!!!!

19. By Phil Kaz on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

We are Getting ready for the Detroit Lions. And Cheering them on as they make the PLAYOFFS this year with the Unstoppable MegaTron CALVIN JOHNSON, The quarterback’s nightmare NDAMAKONG SU, the speed of JAHVED BEST, NATE BURLESON, the best return man since Mel Gray STEPHON LOGAN, THE ENTIRE DEFENSIVE LINE, and the incredible bionic arm of MATTHEW STAFFORD !!!! GO LIONS and RESTORE THE ROAR !!!

YOUR LIFE LONG FAMILY FANS- The Philip Kaczanowski Family

20. By lionnuts on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

I thinks these guys will be ready to go come the 11th. I been waiting for a Lions team like this for years. Been around sinse Billy Simms & Eric Hipple. Not sure how long the starters will play tonight, but how ever long I hope they make a good impression. This is prime time for the Lions. I would love to see Tom Brady get “SUH-PLEXED”! LOL! GO LIONS!

21. By bigmike12 on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

That is a lot of horse power sitting on the bench…and If Calvin doesn’t play?

With all those guys sitting ….They will add a huge injection of Talent in that first REAL game…If we can stay close to the Patriots without those guys …Just think how good we have become.

THAT is how I see it……I am going to be watching our offensive line….We have the pieces in place there and they will be truly tested….Both in protecting Stafford and Helping to get our Running game going.

22. By Jim on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

They have finally built a defense and it is smart to sit mostly defensive players who are injured. With a short training camp due to the lockout it is the defensive players that had the hardest time to get into game shape. Don’t rush them into a game situation that may injure them further. Look at Stafford coming back too early in the past and he was gone for most of the season. Once Fairley is ready to hit the field he will be a big impact.

23. By Brainard Williams on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

I’ve been thinking about a name for our defecsive line. What do you think of “The Blue Rush & Silver Crush.”

Been a fan for a long, long time. Back to the days of Bobby Lane, Yale Larry, Alex Karras, Roger Brown, Wayne Walker & Joe Schmidt, No one can believe how excited I am about this new team of ours and this group of talented guys. We no longer have a team that we are ashamed of.

Other teams now know they had better bring it all and leave it all because there is going to be a huge battle between the lines when the Lions take the field.

GO LIONS>MAKE OUR OPPONENTS FEEL THE PAIN OF “THE BLUE RUSH & SILVER CRUSH!! CAN YOU FEEL THE ROAR? I CAN!

24. By Marcus on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

Sling that Baby Matthew Sling that Baby!

25. By RevK on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

These are key players for the NEW Detroit Lions why risk injury for a game that doesn’t count? We need a winning season not a winning preseason – been there done that.

26. By Mestal on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

That´s ok, let them rest and release some presure. It´s time to set emotions rigth and get mentally stable. It will be a hard work to become a great team, of course it is quite possible.
    Will be, also, a great opportunity to the rokies and those who have not show their skills, to put some presure on the rest.
    I think it will be a great match, and a real chance of a victory.
    We need to get a very good safety, hope they´ve found it already, I´m not sure about Delmas, Spievey, maybe Coleman, but also unsure… Today he got the chance to show what he got.
    This will be a great game for Leshoure, think so.
    Go Lions, the time is now, take every steap with hard shoes, not with sandalies.

27. By LA Lite on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

11-5(playoff bound) Nuff said. This team is for real. Pending on the injury situation which has cost us some game previously. We don’t have the depth all in place but we are strong on the D-line so our crutch in the backfield can survive. O-line will have to do there part extremely well for the run game. Without a run game this team is dead in playoffs. HARDCORE LIONS FAN. Live in Wisconsin so let’s please slap those GeeBees in the face this year. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LIONS!!!!!!!!

28. By southpawlefty on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

Total D will rule the season! Lions are doing the patriots a favor by not playing full force, it wouldnt be fair game. Brady would have sat out. The MOTOR CITY MEAN MACHINES will dominate anyway, Go Lions!!!

29. By Bobby13 on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

Preseason = Calm before the storm. GO LIONS!

30. By John on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

I know what these lions can do, I just don’t know how long they can do it against a good team like New England. I don’t think we will find out tonight but it will still be interesting.

31. By Dan on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

remember its preseason dont count so dont get all crazy over a preseason game. I know it feels good to have a good Lions team for once

32. By craig casto on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

THEY WON LAST 4 GAMES LAST YEAR WITHOUT ALOT STARTERS PLUS THEY NEED TO HEAL AND WEED OUT THE REST OF ROSTER GO LIONS !

33. By Brad Koch on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

Wonderful, we’re down our 3 best running backs. But agreed, let’s try to get them healthy for the season opener.

34. By Jerry on Aug 28, 2011 | Reply

This is the year of the lions. Herar them ROAR!

35. By Jerry on Aug 28, 2011 | Reply

This isb the year of the Lions. Hear them ROAR!~

36. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Injuries were our downfall last year. THAT’S IT! GO LIONS!!!!