Bell, Rayner among eight released players

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on August 29, 2011 – 10:45 am

The Detroit Lions have announced the release of eight players:

• WR Demario Ballard
  • RB Mike Bell
  • TE Richard Dickson (waived/injured)
  • LB DeJuan Fulghum
  • WR Marcus Harris
  • DB Michael Johnson
  • K Dave Rayner
  • DT Montavious Stanley

Detroit’s current roster is at 82. All teams must be at 80 by 4 p.m. ET on Tuesday.

36 Responses to “Bell, Rayner among eight released players”

1. By Mr. Marcus on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

I can live with this.

2. By David on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Mike Bell was a good choice to get rid of. I think the Detroit Lions are coming around really good, just work on the OL then you would have a good team completely.

3. By John on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Class move waiving Rayner now. He’ll have a shot at kicking for another team now.

The difference between the two I simply see as Hanson is still a kicker who, if released, would have been signed by another team before the sun went down. Rayner stll has to win a job (but did a damn good job for the Lions last year.)

4. By Joe on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

I was hoping Ballard could/would be signed to the practice squad to get some seasoning.

5. By Mike on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

I can’t believe they would cut Rayner! He’s a good kicker, and 30 years younger than Hanson! No thought to the future? Makes zero sense.

6. By Mike on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

So… Who is the other running back going to be? I thought Bell was going to be the #3? We’ll see I guess.

7. By Rachael on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Watch out for the Lions this year! I am so excited to watch them play this year. It was a lot of fun watching them get Brady so many times this weekend!

8. By John Vasseur on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Gonna miss Rayner but Hanson is money can we keep him stand by for a few years

9. By Tim Knickerbocker on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Number of carries for Bell in Saturday’s game was a pretty obvious statement on what was going to happen to Mike Bell. Good luck Mike

10. By Tom Miles on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

I agree, no big losses here

11. By Tom Miles on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Anyone hear about Nick and how he is doing now>>

12. By Mike Morgan on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Rayner will be back on the roster as a Free Agent as soon as Hanson gets injured. Love Hanson……….but he can’t keep kicking forever.

13. By Eddie Hiller on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

I am satisfied with the team that we have and I hope these players that were released have a good carrer in the NFL somewhere else.

I wish the best to all of them.

Good luck to them all

from,

Eddie Hiller

14. By Steven Outman on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Chicago is releasing RB Taylor, maybe a good joice for hard runner?

15. By Stuart Left on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

I expect Rayner to be picked up be some team

16. By Ray on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

What happened to Bell? I see he didn’t even play Sat.

17. By Timothy Mulvany on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

the only one i don’t like is Dave Rayner hopefully Hanson doesn’t get hurt again

18. By Brainard Williams on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

I just know that Rayner will get picked up because he is a great Kicker, hopefully before preseason ends. Most likely Bell will have a tryout, Mario Ballard could well end up on someone’s practive squad. This kid has the potential to become a real beast. His talents just needs to be coached. Wish we could keep him.

19. By J.B on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

I agree, no big losses here; definitely agree that Rayner will get picked up and if I had to pick my least favorite drop of the bunch, it would be him; but there Lions are pretty set @ the kicker spot. Just nice to have a good backup.

20. By RIck on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Best wishes to all those released. Rayner did well for us and this gives him maybe a chance to catch on somewhere else. Being cut is tough! Not only does it affect those gone, but also those remaining. It is a fine line between being the best and 2nd best. As the 11th Cav knows. ALLONS!

21. By Rich Berger on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

As much as I love Hanson and I believe we owe it to him to play him first, I hate to see Rayner go. Rayner had a really powerful leg, and I think he could have been a “new” long-term solution at K. Hanson is 41. He might have a year or two left, if that. But who knows, maybe we can get Rayner back next year.

22. By dreameagle on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

BIG mistake..Rayner will be kicking well for somebody for the next ten seasons, Hanson is only as good as his next knee injury, which at his age is all but guaranteed to come and end his career–and as Murphy’s Law says, at the most inopportune time;

in any event, he will not be around to help us win a super bowl, and since this is a BUSINESS, why do you keep an nearly worn out asset when you have a fresh replacement available?

for sentimental reasons?

how many sentiments have won a super bowl?

cut Ballard, but keep that Roy Williams-imitating clown from Penn State?

you cannot be serious!

23. By MTguy on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

I can’t believe how many people are ragging on Hanson. He missed 1 game in 2005 due to injury and then 8 last year because he was injured by being run into on a kick. With the new kickoff rules, touchbacks will be more common and you keep the more accurate kicker.

Rayner has now been cut by his 7th team in 6 years I believe. He kicked well for us last year, but those 8 games do not make a career.

24. By BlueCrush92 on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Hanson is way better and more consistent Rayner is good as well but theres a reason hes been with Detroit for so long and hes proved he 100% from his injury this preseason

25. By BlueCrush92 on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Theres no way we can keep to kickers where its gonna get tough with cuts is WR Stovall is playin great and so is D.Williams but theres not room for 7 receivers thanks to Goodel cutting rosters down to 53

26. By Jonesy on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Admittedly Rayner is tough to see go given last year’s performance in the pinch, but plan on ever consistent Hanson kicking for us until he hits at least Social Security retirement age – isn’t that about 67 nowadays? Of course, even then Hanson may still want to stick around to supplement his Social Security income.

27. By Brian on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Harrison is the 2 or 3 Running Back now that bell is gone.

28. By wendymaddy on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

i do hope that raynor and some of the other who were cut are on standby arrangements pending injuries during the season. raynor did an outstanding job. hanson, of course, always does so as well. We have a really good team this year and it’s sad when really good players have to be cut just to make the correct team members, but there have to be some rules to make it equal between richer and poorer teams, or else they would just buy all the talent they need and keep them all around all the time! Go Lions! Roar on down the field!

29. By Lee Deschamps on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Jason Hanson will be kicking for the Lions a lot more than one more year., and will be kicking when they are in the Super Bowl. (if anyone deserves to be there, he does, after the 20 years he has just finished putting up with.) Check out his extra points–they’re right over the center upright support of the goal posts and dead center. He would not have been hurt last year except for a cheap-shot by the other team. I agree that Raynor is a good prospect for the future, but Jason is absolutely the best choice for now.

30. By eric on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Well cut the guy that made all those clutch kicks for u?..And i do mean clutch..helped u guys outta that road losing streak..u goitta make room for him..Hansons good but a player is a player..Rayner will end up somewhere..hopefully hanson can stay healthy…

31. By KJ on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Love Jason Hanson. Kicker injury last year was a fluke. I have never seen Jason Hanson choke. The guy is money and will finally get a chance to show it by kicking game winners instead of shut-out busters. He deserves the spot in every way. Rayner may still be the future of this team. It was a classy move to let him go now to see if he can catch on with another team. If not, I guarantee the Lions will keep him attached to the organization in some form. Saw Bell coming the moment they signed him. No need for Harrison and Bell and harrison is clearly the better option. They should sign Ballard to the practice squad. The guy has incredible speed and is frickin huge. With more coaching and given time to adjust to this level of football, he could be a star. I want him in Honolulu Blue down the road.

32. By nate on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

I wasnt worried about kicking the lions had to give hanson the upper hand due to his tenure with the lions thru all the losing and he’s the all-time leading scoreer i did wanna see ballard make it williams is 2inconsistent.

33. By The great and powerful OZ on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

The changes in the kickoff rules made it possible to keep our 2nd
    round kicker a few years longer. Living in Michigan I feel bad for
    anyone losing their job. Hope they all find work and thanks to them
    for trying to make our team…

34. By DorseyGannitti25 on Dec 25, 2011 | Reply

You really make it appear so easy with your presentation but I to find this topic to be actually something which I think I’d by no means understand. It kind of feels too complex and extremely huge for me. I’m having a look ahead on your next publish, I’ll attempt to get the hang of it!

35. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 3, 2012 | Reply

Demario Ballard showed some potential too, oh well…

36. By dreameagle on May 3, 2012 | Reply

why Rayner?

do we not need a fresh YOUNG accurate leg?

i understand this loyalty crap, but that’s what has us still stuck with Sack us and Rollover and so at risk every down of losing our franchise QB–because not Moses, Christ, Ghandi, Allah or Superman could gain a yard out of the backfield behind those two…