Johnson: ‘Matt has looked good this preseason. He is on point.’

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on August 30, 2011 – 5:01 pm

“Saturday was the first time I’ve been to a preseason game at Ford Field that was sold out. It definitely felt like a regular season game just because the crowd was there and they were all into the game. It was big for us to go out there and get that ‘W’. It is preseason, but we had our minds right. We were ready to play, we limited our mistakes and came out with a win.

“As far as the receivers, we’ve still got to work on our technique. We strayed from it a little bit, but Shawn (Jefferson) was on us and we’re going to get back to it. I came out of the game feeling good – no more damage to the shoulder. Still getting better, so as far as that goes, it’s all good.

“Matt has looked good this preseason. He is on point, I will give him that. He is putting the ball where it is supposed to be, when it’s supposed to be there. Then we’re being where we’re supposed to be at, so it all helps out. We’re all coming together and making this thing work out the right way and I think if we keep that up, we stay sharp and stay tight on our details, we could have a heck of a season.

“As far as this week coming up, we need to keep our bodies in shape. I don’t know how much play time the starters are going to get, so we just need to keep our bodies in shape through this week because we’re going to have a couple days off and just staying mentally sharp.”

Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 29 Comments »

29 Responses to “Johnson: ‘Matt has looked good this preseason. He is on point.’”

1. By Juan on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

R.I.P BIG TOM KOWALSKI

2. By Gregory Rogers on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

The Lions Should not even suit up Stafford for this game. When we have waited a slong as we have to have a Franchise Quaterback, Please, Please, Please, Mr. Schwartz don’t play Matt, Jahvid, or Calvin Johnson. We need these guys on the Field On Sept 11th, Not September !st. I sure hope he gets this Memo.

3. By terry putman on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Calvin all I can say is that for the first time since u have been a Lion we are finally giving u a team that u can stick with and u will finally get to know what a winning locker room feels like. U probably deserve that as much as Dom. I sure hope u see enough to stick around for another big contract!

4. By Tom Miles on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

There is nothing about Nick yet, anyone have any idea how he is doing and if he is going to be ready to the beginning of the season??

5. By terry putman on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

Greg ur probably right, they shouldn’t play these guys but if ur coming from the angle that they could get hurt then I say were not sitting as good as I thought if we could get that banged up from one preseason game- Stafford had a run of bad luck with some hard hits and the rest of the guys take a lot of knocks playin their positions but this is not gonna b another year like last year. Let’s stop worrying that Stafford is going down and let’s just enjoy the ride my Lions brother!

6. By Nik Banchoff on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

I couldn’t agree with you more Terry. If the Lions are going to play in fear of a injury, then they are not ready to play, period. They need to play with No Fear and keep injury out of their minds and just focus on moving the ball into the end zone!! Think positive my brother, Greg. This is the beginning of an new era…GO LIONS!!

7. By dave on Aug 30, 2011 | Reply

YA TOM I WAS WONDERING THE SAME THING IS HE GOING TO BE READY FOR THE FIRST GAME NOBODY IS SAYING ANYTHING

8. By ward elliott on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

this entire team looks strong. i was wondering if the lions had any intention of signing leonard davis[3 pro bowls] or even andre gurode[5 pro bowls] raiola is a good center but very undersized,he will have trouble handeling big d-tackles as he always has, either player can play multiple o-line spots and are both big lineman who have a history of run blocking very well. if the run game is struggling then bring in some proven blockers that can push a d-line back. thanks to stafford re working his deal we do have cap space to make a move.

9. By Chris on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

I agree, good idea to rest Stafford, Best an Johnson for this final preseason game. I reckon give them a quater at least to have a run out and keep topped up but stay on the side of caution to protect them. This could be a massive season for the Lions so we need these boys!!
    And I may purchase my first Lions jersey…..reckon a Stafford, Johnson or Suh one?? hahaa

10. By blakhornets on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

When the Lions Defense takes the field, they are going to fkn slaughter their opponents carrying them out on fkn. stretchers. Stafford & CJ & the Gang, will strike often, precision and speed. These Lions are going to bring the NFL to the next level…. go lions…http://fantasy.nfl.com/league/554034

blakhornets football league

11. By Don on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Wow I am So impressed with this whole TEAM!
    All the Players are into doing it right!
    It is SO nice to see our players All into it together and working for the Same Goal! This Team is on the Right path!
    All of the TEAM from top to bottom are heading in the Same direction.
    Go and take It ALL Men.Take it All.
    It Still hurt’s and will that Tom( Killer) wont be here to see it with us!
    But I believe that he will be watching!

12. By Jake on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Calvin do you actually read this comments you get from the blog? Just asking.

13. By Douglas on Sep 1, 2011 | Reply

Okay here is how i see the season best case an worst case. 13-3 worst case 10-6
    I base the on not only the every given Sunday principle but the law of averages. Look at it like this: the Superbowl winner on average take a drop the following year regardless of talent ( Call it the full of themselves syndrome). So finishing first in the NFC north shouldn’t be a problem. the later part of the season after the bye will be the roughest but our strongest cause Fairley will be up to speed an healthy so the defense will be in full sync an with an 8 man rotation for a defensive line that makes it real hard on O-lines late in a season where there probably a little banged up. The shocker will be how our running game will have progressed. Take notes people !

14. By Douglas on Sep 1, 2011 | Reply

They said Saturday that he was going to be ready to practice late this week but like you all i haven’t heard or read anything about Nick Fairley

15. By BOWHUNTER53 on Sep 1, 2011 | Reply

I have been a fan of these Lions for over 40 years now, and I can’t remember the last time they had so much talent on all sides of the ball…Stafford is on fire right now and the O-Line needs to keep him upright and protected as much as possible…Ride the Silver Streak on the arm of Stafford, Calvin, Best, then Suh, Vandenbosch, Williams, Avril, and soon Fairley…I wonder if he is ready to go and the Lions aren’t saying anything and then he makes his debut on opening day against the Bucs…That would be awesome…Go Lions, I have all the faith in the world in you and it is time to quiet the Cheesehead fans, that this Black and Blue Division is revitalized, and the Lions are right in there to make it that way!!!

16. By BOWHUNTER53 on Sep 1, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know about anyone else, but are you getting sick and tired of Analysts coming up with, well I rember a certain Detroit Lions team that went 4-0 in the Preseason, then went 0-16, in the regular season…This isn’t even comparing apples to apples…This team only has maybe 2 players left from that team..Millen is gone, the coaching staff is gone, we have so much more talent now, a new and much better coaching staff, as well as, the GM, President, & Owner, all on the same page….I don’t believe for one minute that this team will have a losing season this year…I have no doubt in my mind, they will be in the playoffs.

17. By Douglas on Sep 1, 2011 | Reply

@ Bowhunter: There are more player then that still here, But the attitude is completely different and Stafford isn’t a rookie an the Defense now its full grown Superbowl MVP’s for snacks.

18. By larry c on Sep 1, 2011 | Reply

Don’t know if Calvin reads these but i love reading them. Keep up the good work fans..Everybodys right on in there own way.. All’s i know is we need some wins in this town.So let the bodies hit the floor!!!

19. By CalvinJ81 on Sep 1, 2011 | Reply

Yes, I read them from time to time. Thanks for the love. See you all at Ford Field Sept 18th!

20. By bryon on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

this has nothing to do with Stafford, but this crap I am hearing abou tthis ban wagon issue is irritating me. I was born in Detriot as my father was his father my grandfather and my grandfathers father. If ypu want to route for detroit go for it this is americaafter all. BUT DON’T YOU DARE CREATE A SITUATION THAT MAKES A TRUE LIONS LOOK BAD. stafford your doing great and you will be an awesome QB. i believe you wil be in the hall of fame. GOD BLESS YOU THE TEAM AND THE STAFF.

21. By Douglas on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

A true fan ! I an my sons have shirts signed from the Fontes err in detroit . I have gone to every fan day since i was 18 , been watching the lions since i was 7 an in two weeks i turn 40 . I ain’t no band wagon jumper

22. By chris on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

i think this will be our year GO LIONS FEAR THE ROAR!!!!

23. By motlee on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Be prepared! The Lions fan base is about to EXPLODE! And I don’t care. I was here before Hanson was our kicker.
    I’ve waited a lllooooonnnnnggg time for this team. Just like the rest of these long time fans, we will have the ultamite
    Bragging rights!!

24. By Michael on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

I’m from Arkansas and I’ve been a Lions fan since I was 12 (now 45). My Uncle was a manager for GM in Arlington Tx. He knew I hated the Cowboys so he wanted to find me a team. So he brought me back some Lions gear from Detroit on a business trip.Been a fan ever since. I know this is going to be a great year, and I love all of the CowGIRL fans coming up and telling me how good the LIONS are going to be this year.

25. By Motlee92 on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

I believe the band wagonis about to get over loaded!!!! And I don’t care. I’ve followed this team since before Hanson was a kicker!!! Everoine who has stuck by this team through the tough times is intitled to bragging rights, everyone else will just have to live with themselves for being fairweather fans. GO LIONS!!!!!!!!!!and welcome newcomers;)

26. By Alex Rivera on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I live in NJ and I’ve been a lions fan for ever, and all I have to say is believe in yourself as I always had believed in you guys and the day will come when you guys will succeed as a team. I love it , GO LIONS !!!! oh, by the way SUH, you keep on doing what your doing, because us fan supports you all the way, and for Staford, Calvin, Burleson and the rest of the offense light it up baby yyeehhooooo……..

27. By D3 on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Matt looks super! But we need a back that can run the ball from Best on down we can catch it yes, but run it no. I hope Matt can keep getting rid of the ball before the rush gets to him in the regular season like he has in the preseason. The passing game alone might be good enough to get us to the playoffs. Hey they are going to have to be. Thats how we got it done in the preseason. Chester Taylor can run the ball if he is splitting the carries and is a free agent now. Were 1 signing away from improving the run game 50%. Could be very dangerous then hey only have to be able to run it some.

28. By Alex Rivera on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

Good Point D3,
    We just got off the waiver Keiland Williams, I’ve been watching him since LSU and I have to tell you ones ML comes back now we will have 2 power backs. This is a good thing for the lions.

29. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 30, 2012 | Reply

We are watching Hall-of-Famers in the making!