Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on September 5, 2011 – 2:09 pm

“The big thing about last year’s game at Tampa was that it was our first road win in a long time. Before and during the game we weren’t thinking about that, though.

“We ended up knocking them out of the playoff race and also helped out Green Bay at the same time. That was another big thing about it. We took pride in that. Being able to knock those guys out – spoil their season. That was big for us.

“We just wanted to go down there and get a win against a team that was pretty good at the time. We felt we matched up well against them. We still feel the same way about it this year.

“I had a couple nice catches toward the end of that game. Overall, we had a good game at the receiver position. We went out there and took over that game and made a bunch of plays from the beginning to the end.

“It was the first overtime win I was a part of in a long time. Other than that, it just felt great to get a win on the road and have a nice flight back to Detroit from Florida after a win.

“They had some injuries last year at the time, but I still feel like our match-ups go well, just like last year. Who knows what the outcome will be, but we expect to win because we put together a great camp and we’re still doing a lot of good things out here on the field.

“I think we were able to create some momentum with the last four wins and use that to propel us into the season. Even though last year is a totally different season, there are a lot of good things we can take from the end of the season last year and look forward to those good things happening again.”

Tags: ,
Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 32 Comments »

32 Responses to “Johnson: ‘We ended up knocking them out of the playoff race … we took pride in that’”

1. By kyle on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Stanton hooked you up in that game. and you hooked him up

2. By LaVigne on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

This season can be a playoff year, let’s go out there and win this week. We haven’t won the season openor in how many years? It will feel good and maybe make us 1st in the North.

3. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Tampa Bay is gunning for us. While we took pride in the win they have been smarting and thinking about the disgrace, getting beaten by the Lions, all winter. We need to be ready for a fired up team.

4. By Patrick on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Very good point.

5. By david mcgarry on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

my name is david mcgarry and my daughter is a fan of your team just like I have all my life she wants me to take her to the game on the 11 becuse we now live in florida and would do anything to go to this game I can not take here because I do not work any more see I was hurt on the job and now I can’t work is what they tell me and my wife tells me the same thing all my live I wanted to see you guys play and say hi to you just one time and now I know that that is never going to happen and my daughter is the same way as I am about you and you are looking great this year so thank you for your time and if you could say hi to my daughter her name is marybeth mcgarry have a good year

6. By SteveK on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

The Lions D will set the tone . Too fast for the Tampa OL , remember how confused Brady looked in the pre-season ? Tampa QB’s gonna be getting that & then some . It’s real now baby ! :-)

7. By 1SG Ed on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

I am looking forward to what the Lions will do this season…..I have been a fan my whole life….I remember the 91 season where Detriot made the final 4….I was so excited…….being in the military for 17 years and not being able to see a game live really makes me want to get back and get in the stands especially when the team is putting together its best unit in the past 20 years! I believe in the Lions and they will win at least 10 games this year….Detriot over Tampa 34 to 17

8. By SteveK on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Kinda disagree Ghost . No “disgrace” in losing to that Lions team . They were out-worked & out-played . They’ll be fired up no doubt but I think they’re out-gunned . :)

9. By Lee Johnson on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

As a Green Bay fan all I can say in Thanks, We shouldn’t have needed the help, but of all the teams in the NFC northern conference Detroit is my biggest worry to a Green Bay repeat and I didn’t forget Chicago won the division. But Detroit gave away a game to the Bears and Detroit should have beaten the Pack twice instead of once.

10. By Marcus on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Sorry Guys but we can’t sneak up on people now they are game planning for us now. Some come too play or stay at home.

11. By Willfitz on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Hey Ghost not diggin your negativity. be a fan or get lost

12. By JimmyP on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Josh Freeman is no Brady,but he is a lot younger and more elusive. If the Lions win it will be an upset. Remember, the only road win the Lions won in the last 3 years was the Tampa Game last year. It is asking a lot to repeat it. The Lions truly would be making a statement to the League if they win their first game of the season and its on the road!

I’m a grateful Packer fan

13. By ndomndom...whatever! on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

Anyway you slice it, this is the beginning of a super bowl contender, As this team gains more experience, the sky is the limit. Jim Schwartz will soon be known as the new Belichick for getting the most out of his players. Stafford was incredible this pre-season and Suh and Johnson don,t need any accolades. The defensive line is the best in football and the secondary is all that needs a little shoring up. Historically you win championships with defense, the lions have pretty close to 1/2 of that battle completed. A little additional help on the O line and maybe a durable running back or 2 and the Lions will be a foce to be reckoned with for years to come. The North division has come a long way from laughing stocks to the toughest division in the NFL. I love it! GO LIONS!!!

14. By Men-Tal TheAuthor AndPoet on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Ghost, Steve, and Marcus because you all make valid points. Im sure Tampa bay felt disgaced by losing to the Lions because of way people looked at us in previous years, but like Steve said we simply out-played them. Im sure they’re amped up about the new season and reved up about the fact we spoiled they’re chance of getting in the playoffs while at they’re house. Of course they want revenge, they are at their house so yes we better have our game face on. However….we aint the same ole LIONS.

15. By Tommy on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

Not to mention the TD pass to Kellen Winslow that got called back on a horrible offensive pass interference call. If that TD stands, Bucs win the game.

16. By J on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

you guys are kinda full of yourselves..the Bucs were NOT outplayed..and actually shoulda won the game..lets not forget that bs offensive pass interference call that the league apologized about later in the week that woulda won the game for the bucs. plus the bucs have no injuries..i believe you guys are gona get a wake up call come sunday

17. By SouthFL Buc on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

18. By craig casto on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

keep past in the past, lions win again this year 31 – 17 GO DETROIT !!!

19. By Cody on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

To J who said the Bucs have no injuries this time! Less we forget we won that game with our 3rd string quarterback, 2nd string running back and four CB’s who werent even on the team to begin the season! If anyone is going to get a wake up call come Sunday it will be your over-achieving Bucs!

20. By Kurt on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

Lions should be too big, too fast, too strong, too FOCUSED…..for the the Bucks. End of story.

21. By SouthFL Buc on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

then maybe remember the past correctly

22. By chris on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

Bucs healthy, Lions healthy May the best team win oops i mean the lions will win! Frreman gets SUHplexed 3 times and has to leave the game cuz his head hurts!

23. By andrew on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

This is your opportunity to show the rest that you mean business. Do it for your fans, the city of Detroit, but most importantly, do it for the victims of 9/11 and their families. No doubt/question that the deceased victims will be in heaven rejoicing. God Bless the victims of 9/11, their families, God Bless the Lions, and God Bless America. GO LIONS AND USA!

24. By Greg on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

to jimmy p you really don’t know much about football because after they beat the bucs the next week they went down to Dolphins and beat them. I doubt the Bucs will win 10 games this year they had a easy year last year

25. By craig casto on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

dont you buc fans have your own web page ? go lions

26. By william larkin on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

im a CHICAGO BEAR FAN correct me if im wrong the lions r going 2 make a statement this year the whole nfc north is going 2 b good when have we ever seen this no one is going 2 walk away easy north champs watch what i say its going 2 b a tight race all the way 2 week 17 good luck n week 1 GO BEARS

27. By nighttrain1 on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

The Bucs had all winter to think about being beaten by the lions, and getting knocked out of the playoffs on their home turf so they will try to get revenge. I know that and so do the lions, when the bucs come looking for trouble, they will find more than they wanted to find. Play angry, get beat Lions 35 bucs 10 respect for the Lions starts now.

28. By Don on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

Like one of the writers on here Said, Last year is last year.
    This is a Knew year. And This Lions Team is Hopefully going to start out right.
    By going down to Tampa and Helping to Keep them out of this years Playoffs Just as we had to do Last year.
    This TEAM is ready, Hungry, To WIN! And not just in Tampa.
    One Game at a time. Take this one and move on to the next.
    This Game is a great Matchup, And our Lions are going to have to go down there and take it if they Want it. And I believe that our Lions want it More!
    SO, LIONS GO GET THIS GAME! Take it!

29. By Tom on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

As far as that play that was called wrong on Tampa-quit pouting and man up-Detroit got screwed on the play againast Chicago in last seasons home opener and u didnt see them whinning-Lets hope that Tampa is too worried about the refs when they really need to be worried about DETROIT!!!Suh and company will do the same this year as they did last- and that is make Freemans day a living hell-And now we are healthy too-Too much “D” in Detroit and an offense that is as potent as anyones. GO LIONS and lets start the season 1-0 instead of 0-1-Its amazing how far that first win of the season will take us and it will also prove to the rest of the league that they better not take a Sunday off with the Lions-Things are going to be alot different this year.

30. By HazenHopper on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

I was in the old Briggs Stadium to see the last NFL championship won by Detroit over Cleveland. I now live in Texas and sure would like to rub these Dallas fans face in it. Let’s go boys, all the way!

31. By HazenHopper on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

I was in the old Briggs Stadium in 1957, the last time the Lions won the NFL Championship, beating Cleveland. I now live in Abilene, Texas and have to listen to all of these Cowboys fans. Please, guys, let’s win the Super Bowl. Waiting 54 years has been hard.

32. By MICHAEL on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

GREAT JOB YOU GUYS,, MY HATS OFF TO THE WHOLE TEAM,, YOU GUYS LOOK VERY IMPRESSIVE AND I HAVE BEEN A FAN,, SINCE I LIVED IN DETROIT,,,,I ALWAYS ROOT FOR MY TEAM,,,,,BEING A FAN LIVING IN FLORIDA,, I GET A LOT OF FLACK,,,BUT I STILL REMAIN A LOYAL FAN,,,,,,,,,,AND NOW I HAVE BRAGGING RIGHTS,,,,,SINCE YOU GUYS BEAT TAMPA,,,,,THANKS,,,,,,,I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST,,,,,I CAN SAY I,M YOUR NUMBER 1 FAN,,, BECAUSE,,I HAVE BEEN A FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS,,IF WHEN YOU GUYS WENT 0 AND 16,,,,,,I WAS BEHIND YOU THEN,,,,,,,ALWAYS A FAN ,,LOVE YOU GUYS ,,KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK,,, AND GOOD LUCK THIS SEASON,,,, I,M PUTTING YOU GUYS IN THE PLAYOFFS,, AND BEYOND,,,,,GO LIONS,,,,,,,,GREATEST FAN,,,,MICHAEL KIRKLAND