Suh: ‘In my personal opinion these games hold a little more value.’

Posted by Tara Altman on September 21, 2011 – 5:11 pm

“Last week’s win was one that I think we were definitely prepared for. They threw some little gadget stuff at us, but we responded the way we needed to. We expect every single team at some point in time in the game to throw something out at us that we haven’t seen. We handled that in the first quarter, where I thought we started a little slow. We responded well and I’m definitely proud of the defense for the way that we did. The offense did what they were supposed to do. They went down there and took care of business and scored a million, gazillion points, which is what we expect from them.

“Some of the adjustments that they made were that they ran a lot of reverses and just kind of dink-and-dunk things, screens, things that really weren’t big in their game plan. They were just throwing things off and running a lot of them. We weren’t really expecting that. We were expecting them to start downhill with their running game. I don’t know if they went away from that because of our interior play or because of our linebackers and how we filled and played throughout the preseason; but I think they thought they could use our speed against us and thought that we wouldn’t play sound football because we’re such a hustling team that likes to rally to the ball.

“They thought they could use that against us and they got us a couple of times, but it was a matter of taking care of business, sitting back and seeing what they wanted to do. We figured out their scheme and we handled it.

“The first home crowd was definitely very good. I can only imagine coming back and what that Monday Night game is going to be like. I look forward to it, but we have to take care of two back-to-back road games and really two important games, one starting with a divisional on the road opponent and then a Dallas team that squeaked by us last year.

“It’s going to be a good game at Minnesota. I think that they still feel they’ll be able to run on us and it’s something that we as a defense have to always be concerned with, especially with having one of the best backs in the NFL right now in Adrian Peterson. They also have Percy Harvin that’s mainly a wide receiver, but he’s also back there taking running back snaps, so it’s throwing a little wrench at us and it’s something that we’ll have to be prepared for. I think we had a great start to that today in our first practice.

“In my personal opinion these (divisional) games hold a little more value. First of all, you play them twice a year, but also because if you lose every single game, other than your divisional games, you’ll go to the playoffs. Those games in my eyes probably mean the most. Those are teams that you definitely want to take care of business.”

Tags: ,
Posted in Ndamukong Suh Blog | 21 Comments »

21 Responses to “Suh: ‘In my personal opinion these games hold a little more value.’”

1. By smdb on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

completely agree. this is the first must win game of the year and i have no doubt that the lions will finally end this blasted 14 year losing streak this sun. time to officially hand over the CELLAR DWELLER reigns to the vikes and go 3-0 for the first time in over 30 years. wow. 30 years. absolutely unreal. go lions =D

2. By LYDELL on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Suh,
    I agree wholeheartedly with your synopsis of the up coming game. When you talk about ‘importance’ and meaning of it in my view that is why our pre-playoff run mentality starts at minnisota! Meaning, ‘get it while the gettin is good’from now on until ‘week-ten. Why? Because up unto that time teams are ‘slippin’ not taking it as serious as in week ten and on. Also, if we manage to run the board weeks ’1-10′ we will already ‘have-made ourselves” playoff participants eleven and going further.
    However, in the spirit of the conversation let me mention as an ‘experenced’witness (to maybe 68 of the 97 played) that when it comes to being successful against Minni it is simple. ‘WE MUST BE ABLE TO CONSISTANTLY KNOCK THEM DOWN!Meaning, offence/defence literally, with brute force represent the black and blue! Lets see all their ‘capabilities’ from their ‘on the ground’position. In the end they will respect our impassioned mission, and so on for the rest of the league! (Lions 4ever….)

3. By Michael Wisne on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

while I agree that winning divisional games is what a team looking to be a playoff contender must do. If you only win the 6 games against your divisional opponents and nothing else you won’t be going to the playoffs (6-10 ain’t cutting it). Here is the deal, there is a reason the Lions are favored this week going into the Metrodome. They are the better team, with a more talented roster than the Vikings. It’s weird to say that, but it is 100% accurate, The Lions are the more talented team between them and the Vikings. That being said, go handle your business and act like you’re record reads 0 – 0 because no team will simply lie down, The Vikings still have playoff aspirations, just like we do and I think it’s about time we get them thinking about their draft position instead :)

4. By Keith Merriweather on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

I like the defense, however my biggest concern has been you guys ability to stop the run. I don’t think that it will be to big of an issue though because you are creating big time turnovers.

5. By Lionfanforlife on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

i think that they might be able to run the ball on us and i dont care…we will shut down everything else.. AP will have to have 60 carries to produce a win for this game…just saying, anyway i love what we are doing and they cant stop our offense, they may slow us down a little but we will put up alteast 28 on em and i just dont see that happening with mainly just AP the rest of the team is dreadful

6. By Dreda1 on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

I am thouroughly enjoying the comments from our players and have absoultly loved the way the coaching staff has handled the media and its statements about strategies and injuries…The team looks and sounds solid and it seems the coaching staff has all on board for a long overdue over haul of our detroit lions..lets go!

7. By DerikH on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

WE HELD BLOUNT TO UNDER 20 YARDS AND OUR MASCOT PUT JAMAAL CHARLES OUT FOR THE SEASON! WHAT DO YOU MEAN WE CANT STOP THE RUN.

8. By nick on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

I love Suh, But just ask the Raiders, winning all your divisional games does not garuantee u the playoffs.

9. By eric on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Its still very early..The new kick off rules are wack..This is the best Lion team i have ever seen.. period..This is a monster game comin up..We need that fourth straight road win! I think this team can win every game it plays…

10. By AllThingsDetroit on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Good Look, Suh! It’s so refreshing to see and hear this new attiude and seriousness about the game…especially with the divisional foes. I’m eagerly anticipating this sunday’s game. If the Lions can get the early lead on the Vikes….it’ will play right ino the hands of the Lions front four, and i’ll like our chances of pulling this one out…in convincing fashion! This is a very important game and the metrodome will be on fire….but our Lions are preapred for such a times as this..and the fire will be quickly extinguished!
    Let’s get it, Lions……….. It’s Time! 3 and O, baby! :D

11. By TLW on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

GO Lions, this is your time!

12. By jay on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

I drove across the border from windsor to watch you guys play the jets last year.
    the game hanson got hurt and you had to kick the extra point. we left ford field with a loss that day but i left knowing that this long long long wait for a great team was coming to an end. though you lost that game i watched you kick the crap out of a solid jets team for 3 quarters and left me knowing that this team is special.
    Now i may be canadian but i know my american football. I have always had the Michigan Wolverines to fall back on when the lions were bad but now those days are coming to an end it seems.
    I believe you and vandenbosch are the back bone of this team and i want you to know we believe in you.
    cheers.

13. By Rick N on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

If i had a sex change would you marry me Suh…lol.

14. By Stuart Left on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Division games are more important. All games for the Lions are must win games

15. By T.N.E on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

Me TOO! IAnd I just love the way ppl are talking about The Lions! Its hurts me not to see them play being away from home, but damn it if I dont enjoy hearing about The Play of The Team on ESPN, and other sports broadcasting stations. What ever the organization is doing esp. the coaches to keep our team fired up keep doing it…..Real Talk…..Real Talk…..

Offense win games, Defense win Championships.
    We looking physical on both sides of the both…got damn I’m excited.
    Keep it clean, but knock ppl d*ck in the dirts the name of the game.
    We playing like we really wanna be in the playoffs this yr. (Dont worry. I’ve been saying this for years now.) Prayer going out to keep everybody healthly, and in good spirit…Let’s win some games. Go Detroit Lions!

16. By jerrod b on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

I think that the “gadget” things SUH mentions, actuallly worked against them alot more than he admits. Jamaal Charles looked strong until he got hurt, and was setting up for a field day against detroit. He had already busted out a 24 yard run and it was only 1/2 way thru the 1st quarter. Detroit D-line is one of the strongest. But being that strong can work against them, in the case of Over pursuing a QB. I saw it a couple of times in the KC gam, and a bit during preseason. Gotta be careful. We’re talkin A.P. this sunday!!!

17. By Jim on Sep 24, 2011 | Reply

Trust me I’m a Lions Fan through and through but we as fans need to take it one game at a time. I believe Detroit will be in the playoffs this year. I do not believe we will win every game. That being said. This is the best Detroit Lions team that I have every seen in my 34 yrs. I’ve been transplanted to Virginia and people at working are talking about them. So, go kick some viking pads and I can’t wait for the Monday Night Game. LOL I work with alot of bears fans.

18. By Curtis Gwin Jr on Sep 24, 2011 | Reply

After years of practically hiding my face the few times the Lions were on nat’l TV, listening to the sportscasters label us has jokes! It is so great to hear them gush over the Lions, but I still hear some of them holding back wondering if we’re for real! They need to ask Tom Brady how he feels about us, who else can say they’ve now beaten NE 2 games in a row and we didn’t just beat them we beat them like we owned them. No more cutting away to more exciting games because we were behind by such lop sided scores, can’t wait for Mon night football so the entire country can hear the ROAR again!!!

19. By StaticDean on Sep 24, 2011 | Reply

The Lions D got this. Adrian fumbles to much and it don’t matter how many yards you get if you can’t hold on to the football. CASE closed! GO DETROIT LIONS

20. By Susan on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

My son is a season ticket holder and currently is in Iraq. He is so disappointed he cannot see these games or the Tigers. He has been a fan since he was small, even when I moved him out of MI. So please play knowing you have service men all over the globe watching you and making their days brighter when you win. I love all the Lions and Tigers This is the year for Detroit! Remember you come from greatness so you are greatness.

21. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 30, 2012 | Reply