Stafford talks with Jim Rome

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on September 27, 2011 – 3:49 pm

Quarterback Matthew Stafford was on with ESPN’s Jim Rome on FOX Sports Radio yesterday to talk about Detroit’s comeback victory at Minnesota.

“Twenty points at halftime against a team that’s as good as the Vikings and as talented as the Vikings is tough,” he said. “Especially on the road.”

Stafford cited Detroit’s calm demeanor in the locker room at halftime as “what saved us.”

“The players all understood that we didn’t play our best football – we didn’t play like we play in the first half,” he said. “(We knew) if we went out there and executed and did our part, we could gain some momentum and get it going.”

The win pushed Detroit – and Stafford – full force into the media spotlight; a night-and-day difference from last season when Stafford suffered a shoulder injury Week 1.

“I was upset,” said Stafford of last season. “I felt I had done a lot to make sure I was ready for the season last year and for it to happen in Week 1 the way it did, wasn’t fun.

“I wasn’t a fun person to be around for awhile, but I used it to motivate myself and try and get better on and off the field.”

Stafford feels more prepared to prevent another injury from happening, but told Rome there is a little bit of luck involved as well.

“If it’s anything but my right shoulder last year, I’d probably have played through it. It’s just one of those things that I couldn’t play through.

“Hopefully, if I get a little tweak here and a tweak there this season, it’s nothing big (and) I can just play right through it.”

So what does it take, asked Rome, to go an entire career without missing a game like Brett Favre or Peyton Manning?

“Those guys are unbelievable,” said Stafford. “You’ve got to give respect to them. They get theĀ  ball out of their hands and they take hits too; it’s not like they aren’t taking hits.

“Those guys are just tough guys that have been doing it a long time. I admire the heck out of them.”

Listen to the full audio

24 Responses to “Stafford talks with Jim Rome”

1. By Dave Moore on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Been a long wait. Lions have always been my team. Feels real good. Thank you fellas.

2. By Mark Maloney on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

My son passed away in March of this year and I know him and my dad are loving this. I can remember how both of them would yell at the TV on Sundays. I bought them both a “Bad call” sponge brick so they wouldn’t hurt the set. We are going to have a chance every game and that has not happened in a long time.
    Good luck guys!!

3. By Lionfanforlife on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

no doubt.. the real fans always believed in u guys and were just waiting for this day…. proud of u guys and keep up the great effort

4. By Marcus on Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

Sling that puppy Slind it!

5. By kyle on Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

Im proud to say I have been with the Lions through thick and thin, I havent missed watching a game in 20 years. Its so great to be a Lions fan now. GOOOOOOOOOO lions!!!!!!

6. By Robb Gillies on Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

PLEEEEAASE kick the CRAP outta the Cowgirls???!!! Not only do I NOT like their fans, I personally take offense to them being dubbed as “America’s Team” seeing it’s an AMERICAN sport.
    As a season ticket holder(Sect 140, Row 2, Seats 3 & 4), I’ll see you kats on Monday night!!!!

7. By paul b. iron mtn. on Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

Keep up the good work ! wish my dad was still around to see this team. Just keep playing as a team and let the rest fall where it may. Now one game at a time.. Go win another one . The Cowboys are not my idea of America’s Team either. You guys are… But Please Beat the Crap out of the Packers twice this year and i’ll be the HAPPIST guy in town..LOL.. Keep up the good work.. GO TEAM GO… And lets get that running game going too.

8. By Dan S on Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

Looking forward to watching The Lions beat Mexico’s team
    GO LIONS!!!

9. By Dan S on Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

I can hardly wait for this game. Dallas D has Megatron and Petigrew and Stafford to contend with not Grossman and those small receivers that Washington has. Oh By the Way Suh and that defense are pretty good too. GO LIONS!!!

10. By lions67 on Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

from the tatoo on my my arm to the love in my heart, the lions will always be my team. No bandwagoners needed! all of yiou who have worn the bags in pride and sorrow are always welcome in my house. GO LIONS!!!!!!!!! my team through thick and thin!

11. By mick on Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

Heath Evans was chiding and making fun of your expressions when talking to Michael Irvin on NFL network. Making you out to be a drama queen. I don’t know what his deal is but I will bet you all the tea in China, that when he drinks, he’s one of those sloppy obnoxious drunks. I wish you the best and hope you kick butt in Dallas.

12. By LYDELL on Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

THEACTRICS PLEASE:
    This INDIVIDUAL has been to hell and back,there and back…again! Having been tried by the fire, he stands as a man on a mission. Is he for certain built as the ford company would say ‘Ford tuff? I say YES! Today the NFL is witnessing a true phenonmenom, a testament to true grit, born leader, and history maker at work! He is young but cunning, strong yet precise, and already displays the qualities that SUPER BOWL quarter backs are made of! He leads a team that currently is UNDEFEATED, standing in combination of wins (11-0), ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, fans and haters. I am talking about the one and only of his kind……..MATTHEW……STAFFORD!!!!! Soon everyone will be singing this tune! (Lions 4ever)

13. By LYDELL on Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

14. By Lee Deschamps on Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

Native Detroiter and a lion fan since 1952. I Remember Bobby Layne’s infamous drunk driving arrest when the Detroit Police officer “mistook Layne’s southern drawl for slurred speech and arrested him for drunk driving” (Bobby also had a steering wheel defect in his vehicle, since he was bouncing off of both curbs at 3 in the morning on Grand River Avenue) and when Karras made a deposit in Ninowski’s locker to let him know what he thought of him as a QB. I had the privilege of attendint the Thanksgiving Day, 12 degree, Green Bay Packer game when Karras was in the Green Bay backfield as often as Paul Hornung and the Lions did to Green Bay what I hope they will do all three games this year.

All of the hyperbole, (hype) and praise and gushing is nice, but I believe this teams coaches and players will stay grounded, and not get caught up in the promotion. I only wish this country had more role models for our kids today. Who would you rather have your kids imitate–Dion Sanders or Calvin Johnson, Matt Stafford, Suh, and the rest of the guys (note to Tony Sheffler: Let your performance between the goal lines be what you are noticed and remembered for–and not your post TD antics)

Stay grounded, and Keep keeping it real, Lions, and thanks for the ride, wherever it ends.

15. By Lee Deschamps on Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

Native Detroiter and a lion fan since 1952. I Remember Bobby Layne’s infamous drunk driving arrest when the Detroit Police officer “mistook Layne’s southern drawl for slurred speech and arrested him for drunk driving” (Bobby also had a steering wheel defect in his vehicle, since he was bouncing off of both curbs at 3 in the morning on Grand River Avenue) and when Karras made a deposit in Ninowski’s locker to let him know what he thought of him as a QB. I had the privilege of attending the Thanksgiving Day, 12 degree, Green Bay Packer game when Karras was in the Green Bay backfield as often as Paul Hornung and the Lions did to Green Bay what I hope they will do all three games this year.

16. By LionDriveBy on Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

I’ve been a Lions fan since the late 1960′s and am having so much fun watching this team grow and get better every week. Everyone on the organization is finally on the same page – GM, Coaches, Players.

Great on field leadership from the QB position – Matthew Stafford looks like a combination of John Elway and Brett Favre with some Peyton Manning thrown in. When you have young leaders like Stafford and Suh, great veteran leadership from guys like Vanden Bosch, Corey Williams and Burleson – and the ultimate professional in Jason Hanson – it makes the coaches job so much easier – you bring in new guys whether free agents like Tulloch and Durant or rookies like Titus Young and they contribute.

Everyone was drooling over the Eagles in the offseason with the “Dream Team” collection of talent. It has to be talent plus chemistry – just talent won’t do it alone. The Lions finally have both!

17. By mick on Sep 29, 2011 | Reply

The key to winning the game in Dallas is if our offensive line can open some holes allowing our backs to run between the tackles. I’m talking about huge chunks of yards. If this happens the def line can’t tee off on Stafford, giving him the time to see the entire field. We need to burn their aggressive LB blitzes with quick offensive trap plays.

18. By Ed La Voy on Sep 29, 2011 | Reply

God Bless the Lionsof 2011-2012

You can heal so many long-standing wounds from the Mattmullen years…
    so much to be grateful for…
    I remember sneaking into The Pontiac Silverdome when Moeller had the Lions going into the playoffs in 1999 and we were playing the Bears at home…
    and sahit..the Bears beat us in the LAST FREAKING 90 SECONDS OF THE BALLGAME…
    Good Lord
    Beat the Bears both games
    at least beat the Packers on Thanksgiving ( nationwide audience!!!)

I am just so proud of my 2011 Lions

Edward L.
    La Jolla, California 92037 USA
    raynmaykr171@yahoo.com

19. By nighttrain1 on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

How long have we waited for a franchise quarterback 40, 50 years. Our wait is over, we finally have a quarterback that all teams fear, if not now then very soon they will. Stafford is legit. Our coach is legit, our players are legit, this team is real. The roar has been restored.

20. By nascarblog2011 on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

when my kidswere younger, my wife would take them out of the house on sundays when the lions played because of all the cursing my friends and I were doing. But now it’s a whole lot better this year

21. By Rick on Oct 1, 2011 | Reply

“Only two other quarterbacks in Lions’ history have brought their teams back from a 20-plus-point deficit: Layne and Tobin Rote, who, during the 1957 season, had replaced Layne a few weeks prior due to injury.”

The above statement really tells us where we are right now, and it gives me chills.
    This years team is as good as the championship teams of the 50′s.

22. By SISUHSAVER! on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

I have remained a true fan havnt missed a game in 15 years despite living in Colt country for the last 9. Ive taken alot of heat for standing strong for My Honolulu Blue. But Its the Sisuh! from michigan whether youve been raised on it or had it brought to you from an unlikely “Messenger” ,It gets in you and drives you forward These Lions have it in there locker room now and its the one thing that will bring the “Lombardi” and the Legacy to Detroit My chest pounds with that Drive when our Lions Battle as so many bodies and one Lions Heart. Bring us Glory Men, for all time!..Detroit will embrace the Lombardi as none have before.

23. By Deni411 on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

Well am I wrong or does Stafford look like hes in a fog in Dallas?

24. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Stafford is a great team representative! GO LIONS!!!