Johnson: “Riding this wave so far has been big”

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on September 28, 2011 – 3:18 pm

“It was very cool to put last week’s thing away in overtime. We were just hoping to get the ball and we got it. I don’t think there was too much that was going to stop us. We understood the importance of the situation. We couldn’t have any mental mistakes and, on that specific play, Matt made a hell of a throw off his back foot as I saw watching the film. He put it out there for me to go get it.

“Riding this wave so far has been big. There haven’t been any 3-0 starts since I’ve been here. But at the same time – especially in that second half – we knew we were a better team than what we showed in that first half and we can’t always expect to be able to come back from being down 20 points like that against really, really good teams that are in this league. Definitely got to start faster but we know we’re a good team, so we have to come out in the first half like we’re a good team. We can’t wait until the second half.

“The difference between the two halves was a combination of things. Minnesota played their butts off in the first half on defense. That front line was a beast. They were getting all kinds of pressure and I really think that had a big impact on us. Those guys are hole-cloggers up in there. We really couldn’t get too much going in the run game because those guys are so big and fast up front. It’s tough. But the second half we started nickel and diming them down the field and finally got things going with the screen game. Pettigrew had the big second half and we were able to move the ball.

“Dallas has a strong rush also, but the only way it could affect us as receivers is if we’re not on time with our routes. There’s the possibility for the quarterback to be hurried, so we need to be where we need to be. If we’re not there then it can cause problems and the quarterback may be getting hit in the pocket if we’re not in our spots for him to get us the ball.”

Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 17 Comments »

17 Responses to “Johnson: “Riding this wave so far has been big””

1. By LYDELL on Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

Hey Calvin,
    First, congrats to the team on that sensational win against Minnisota! Second, congrats on being in my view THE BEST WIDE RECEIVER IN THE WHOLE NFL! Third, congrats for being a great inspirer to the team, and your fans;for it is very obvious you being/having a taker-attitude has rubbed/payed off! Inasmuch, going forward into the hostile land of Texas I think we should understand something for real! This is our ‘Pre-Play-off’ stage where we dont try to make play-offs, we continue TAKING teams down ensuring play-off birth! Meaning, ‘as a team thinks/says- so they are! Example, we are (11-0) that is already championship ready! In boxing who has more to prove entering a championship fight (champ or challenger)? This should be our stance and thus take the pressure off ourselves respectively. So, come Sunday ‘Dal-last’ has to do the proving we will properly defend our UNDEFEATED streak like the CHAMPS WE ARE! (lIONS 4EVER)

2. By smdb on Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

cj – at least 32 tds this year but i’m thinkin 34

matt – at least 40 tds but i’m thinkin 44

at this point i’m all in on u guys gettin a win at dallas and then comin back home for a THREE game run at least.

4-0 here we come =D

3. By Chris on Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

So long as you guys winning inside the North Ghent everything else will fall into place. You got over e road game in Minnesota so sweeping them is likely and splitting with the bears and packers is likely as well so a 4-2 division record is very nice. Add 5 more non division games and you have a 9-7 record but based off the schedule I’m looking at a 10-6 or 11-5. If the packers sweep the Vikes and Bears and split with us then they will win the division and that wil make a playoff birth difficult but a wildcard is a real possibility. Keep up the good play CJ, it gets better and better by the week.

4. By Don on Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

That was a Very good second Half Sunday.
    And it was Great to See this Team straiten itself out and Take on the challenge that was pesented to you.
    I loved the Play of Pettigrew too!
    And that catch down the sideline Calvin was fantastic!
    And the blocking that I am seeing all the offensive players stepping up and helping each player that get’s the ball as many possible yards as they can.
    Fantastic! TEAM! TEAM! TEAM!
    Everyone working for the Same GOAL! That works!
    It is great to watch this TEAM Play Football!
    keep it up! And GO LIONS!

5. By SSgt Toro on Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

Calvin,
    First off I would like to thank you for what you & the Lions have done for my home state. Currently I’m stationed on a Navy Vessel in an undisclosed location, so I don’t get to see too many games. I watch the games that AFN gives us & watch the ticker & log on to see the stats online. I was raised in Monroe, MI (25 miles south of Detroit) & have waited for this to happen for years. I left MI for the Marines 14 years ago, but I still support only my MI teams. I was even fan in 2008 & wore my jersey (Calvin Johnson) every Monday despite getting harassed for it. No one is laughing anymore. You, Stafford, Suh, & the rest of the Lions have lifted up a state & more importantly a city, which needed to see something go right. Yes we have the Wings, but they are expected to do good. The Lions took a dismal team of individuals & showed that they are true Detroiters. The city that built an empire with blood, sweat, & tears. Thank you from all of the loyal Detroit fans in the world & especially all that are on this mighty ship Bataan, hoping to see you go deep in the play offs & cheering for team that no one saw coming. Semper Fidelis is our motto in the Marines & it applies to a lot of Lions fans out there & that never gave up on all of you. Thank you again & keep leaping.

6. By SSgt Toro on Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

By the way, Semper Fidelis means Always Faithful.

7. By Gary on Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

CJ,
    I’d love to see you break that loudmouth Chris Carter’s record for most TD’s in straight games. All while winning games of course!

8. By Jay on Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

Oh, how I love my LIONS! I’ve been a life-long die hard; through the good and bad. Sadly, I recently moved away from the greatest state ever, down to the Tampa area and had a chance to attend the opener… It was so nice to see my team put it on the Bucs (AGAIN). You guys are beginning to gel and look really efficient out there on the field. It’s amazing to see what hard work and dedication can produce. There will undoubtedly be bumps throughout this season, but I truely believe we got what it takes to shake things up in the playoffs.

You have the entire state of Michigan pulling for you guys and even those who have made the leap elsewhere. Once, you’ve become a Lions fan – you bleed silver and blue forever. Michiganders share a very unique bond that most others around our Country simply cannot relate to. The US auto industry has become nearly extinct. Jobs lost, homes forclosed on and families struggling paycheck to paycheck. Now, between you and the Tigers the great people of Michigan have reasons to hold their heads high again and say with conviction — “I’M A DETROIT FAN”.

Keep it up fellas. Make the little guys everywhere proud!

9. By Oldcat on Sep 29, 2011 | Reply

First of all, you ARE deserving of being legitimately considered the best Calvin. You’re proving Carter to be a blithering idiot on that subject.

As for the Dallas game, you guys are going to need to do exactly what you said. Stafford might be under some pressure quite often. So all receivers need to do their best to make sure he has ready targets he can get the ball to quickly on time. If he has to hold onto the ball too long you guys will have problems maintaining your drives. Yet on the occasions Stafford does gave the time the Dallas secondary is ripe for the pickins. Calvin, I picture you catching at least a couple deep throws downfield, and hopefully a couple into the endzone. You gotta keep up that 2 TD minimum per game!

10. By jjmitch18 on Sep 29, 2011 | Reply

Currently deployed in Iraq. Love the fact that you and the Lions are playing so well. It let’s me look forward to the weekends. Haven’t gotten to watch a game yet. But I listen to them on NFl audio pass. Keep up the good work. Soon to be 4-0.

11. By Brett Walleman on Sep 29, 2011 | Reply

Happy late birthday as well Calvin…It sure was a helluva Birthday present with that amazing catch in OT… I hope C. Carter liked watching you and the rest of the team take over that game…He’s just hatin because you’re a Lion… Something tells me he would of had you in his top 5 if you played for the Eagles or Vikes..lol.. Good luck Sunday, T. Newman has no idea what kind of storm he’s going to indure…. GO LIONS!!!!!!!!

12. By nighttrain1 on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Gary, you said what I was thinking, Carter tried to clean-up what he said but it’s too late, it’s out there now. When megatron break his record, he needs to be reminded what he said. Have you true Lion fans noticed how full the Lions bandwagon is becoming? Everybody is beginning to believe what we already know. In the past, the road to the NFL championship ran through Detroit, as all can see, very soon, the road to the superbowl will also run through Detroit.

13. By pat on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

wow what a great game us Canadains love the Lions.This will be the big year.We had our whole family with our shirts on screaming our lungs out.What a game..my daughter kept holding her shirt yelling Johnson is the man…with all your family there to-day we keep saying come on thru like you always do and you did.Wre on this journey with hugs Pat and family from Windsor Canada

14. By sue suh on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Great second half! But I’m gonna half to up my blood pressure meds if you guys keep winning this way! Getting ready for MNF. We gotta start strong. Just remember, we want it more than they do! The league has dissed us so long for Monday night games so show them the superstars that you are! Bring it early and often. The whole world is watching!

15. By michael on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

GREAT JOB ,,,,,CALVIN,,,,,,THERE IS NO WAVE TO RIDE,,,,YOU ARE A GREAT WIDE RECEIVER ,JUST AS GOOD OR BETTER THAN ANY IN THE NFL……YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT ,,, NEVER GIVE UP,,OR COUNT YOURSELVES OUT,,,,,,,I HAVE BEEN A FAN SINCE 1981 WHEN I WHEN OVER SEAS,,,,,,YOU GUYS HAVE COME TOGETHER AS A TEAM,,,,,,AND PUT ALL NFL TEAMS ON NOTICE,,,,,,YOU ARE FOR REAL,,,, GREAT GAME ,,,, I,M BEHIND YOU ALL THE WAY,,,,,YOUR FAN IN FLORIDA,,,,,,,MICHAEL

16. By teresajaxfl on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

BEST RECEIVER IN THE NFL and Georgia Tech!!!!!!!

Calvin, I watched you thru college and I know you can catch anything!

Can’t wait til tomorrow night MNF
    I am glad you are doing so well you deserve it $$$

I am a Calvin fan where ever you are!

Teresa

17. By william mattis on Oct 10, 2011 | Reply

you are the best and i got a cool nick name for u at my house its Calvatron. if u like it use it. i love this season so far u make think that lions win everytime your in the end zone. best wishes ur biggest fan will.