Posted by Tara Altman on October 13, 2011 – 4:37 pm

“That was definitely in the top two for the loudest crowds I’ve ever been a part of. It’s exciting, we expect more and more of that. The fans had a huge impact on the game, from just being hyped and ready to go into the game. I was so surprised that when the Tigers had a good play during our pre-game warm-ups, the crowd erupted and it wasn’t even half full in the stadium. With all of those false starts from Chicago, they definitely deserve a game ball.

“That long drive (in the first quarter), when I look back on that and watch it on film, I don’t think they did a lot to us. It was more that we did a lot to ourselves, some penalties here and there, they obviously made some good plays. (Matt) Forte had maybe one or two good runs in there, but we realized we were getting a little too close to our end of the field, so we tightened up, took care of business and made some plays where we needed to make them and got ourselves off the field.

“They elected not to go for the field goal, and that’s really kind of a slap in the face to us when they’re in field goal range, so we were like, ‘We’re going to stop you and get the ball back to our offense and you’re not going to get any points,’ that’s what we did.

“It felt good to stop them, especially me being one of those guys that got to be a part of that stop. I think the right side did an excellent job in forcing their offensive linemen back and then Kyle (Vanden Bosch) and Corey (Williams) and I got to get off the ball and tackle Forte from the back. I let my non-verbal actions speak for me, giving my flex to the crowd. That was my excitement.

“Stopping the running game is something that we always pride ourselves on continuing to do. It’s been weird this year, for whatever reason, the majority of the teams that we’ve played through these first five games have been big running teams and that’s what they center around their scheme. I think it’s something they end up playing really well into what we emphasize, and that’s something that we want to shut down and be able to get after the pass. It’s been good and we’ve been able to do that, especially allowing them to break some good runs off in the first half, and then in the second half completely shut them down.

“The 49ers are a very conservative offense, they don’t take very many risks and that’s something that I think is good for us when we shut down what they want to do, which is their run game, and force them into long-yardage situations, get them behind the eight ball and having them have to come back because our offense is putting points on the board and putting points on their defense. That puts them in situations that they don’t want to be in. I think that’s something great for us to have, it’s just a matter of us going out and executing and putting them in those toughsituations.”

Tags: ,
Posted in Ndamukong Suh Blog | 38 Comments »

38 Responses to “Suh: “They elected not to go for the field goal, that’s really kind of a slap in the face to us.””

1. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

Having been a fan since 54 or 55 through thin and thinner, I, we, are living the dream now. It feels good to see you make those tackles and burst through double coverage to keep the pressure on. I have leukemia but I will live long enough to see a few more seasons of glory.

2. By Oldcat on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

Sorry to hear of your illness, Ghost. I’m kinda in the same boat, with a rare form of cancer. Like you, I’ve waited so long to see the Lions become genuinely respected. We finally get to see that, and a huge part of the success can be attributed to our man Suh.

And Suh, I hope you’re right about the 49er game. You’ve managed to pull through some difficult wins, but the 49ers might be the toughest test to date. Their defense is kicking’ butt this year. It might not be so easy fir the offense to score on them. So it’s going to be extremely important fir you and your fellow defensive players to really step it up. You are due for a breakout game, and I’m hoping this week you wreak some havoc on the field.

3. By Mark on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

Re: Ghost of Bobby Layne

“I have leukemia but I will live long enough to see a few more seasons of glory.”

No pressure, Suh.

4. By T.N.E on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

Ah Slap in the face none the less. I was kinda disappointed they chose to go about it that way, like we some Sh*t or whatever else…I laughed when (lol, now) Coach Smith keep his offense on the field. I had no doubt in my mind there we were going to stop them, and of course that made a big difference in the game. I’m a Lions fan to the heart, so I was little upset with a few trades that we made as an organization, and that 0-16 season was a blur right after it happen., but I never put a BAG over my head.

Our offense, to me has never been the problem -from the players to the stats. Staying healthy is a must, and having THE HEART and DESIRE to win for your organization is imperative. Out of all my years of watching Detroit Lion Football I’m really really excited about our defense. And I believe that our defense is aiding to the exicting play or our offense. Keep up the team “WHATEVER”. Chris Houston, to me, was one of those key additions to the DB core…he’s always been a good CB. With the d-line playing week -in, week-out the way their playing (loving the depth) Motor City’s about to adopt another name city name; Pick City..(or take the sack).

I know u feel a gap, and your not forgotten. Our LB’s are player maker when they need to be, that really say’s it all. Its about time we invested in Ohio St..This the NFL…Go Buckeyes…(yikes)… :o)

5. By IB on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

I’m glad to hear you guys are going through difficult times and still have time for the GOOD OLD Lions. God Bless you Both. I pray you have many more years to come

6. By Josh on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

I have to think that teams see the lions logo and still think for a second that they are playing the old lions. So they go for it on 4th and 1. This isn’t the old lions and we seem to be proving that every week. Really glad for you two lifetime (and any others out there) that you get to see a team like this. Schwartz is for real and it will be a shame if he doesn’t get coach of the year. Keep it up boys!!!!

7. By Luis on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

I’m 17 so i really never gad a glimpse of what the Lions formerly were. i had always seen the lions at the bottom of the standing for as long as i could remember. I’m a Bears fan i will admit, and every year i would just go ahead and put a checkmark right by the lions on my calendar. I remember when they went 0 and 16 and i just wish something good would come there way. Then Jim got hired and Stafford got drafted then those free agents came in and i started feeling like they might turn it around at any moment. Then Suh and Kyle came in and i actually started getting worried about the Bears not being able to stand up to those two. I gotta tip my hat to the management for doing such a great turn around of the franchise and hope they keep it up, especially with adding quarterback killers to that line. Respect man

8. By southpawlefty on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

The hearts of these LIONS and the ROAR of the fans will forever remember this season that brought a turnaround in victory and defeat both on the stadium battlefield and the seats that still echos long after. A nation has turned it’s eyes to a city that has awakened and they heard the ROAR!!!!

9. By smdb on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

as long as we continue to play lions ball and not make mistakes, we’ll win this one. it’ll be close but history will repeat itself for the all right reasons and we’ll be 6-0 after sunday. go lions!!!!

10. By April A on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

A lifetime fan here! I am sooooo thrilled to see them winning and showing that they are LIONS and not kitty kats! lol….

11. By April A on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

Hey OldCat; Sorry to hear about your cancer. My Dad passed away 3 years ago from cancer so this is a bittersweet thing for me. He and I used to go to games together and if not at the game we would watch it on TV. When I moved away, it was during football season that we had our best conversations on the phone. I love seeing the Lions win and I only wish that my Dad were here to see it too. He would always say ‘there’s always next year…but I’ve been saying that since 1956!” I am hoping this is the year!

12. By April A on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

I have a blast going to the Sports bar to watch the LIONS. The last time I was this excited about them was way back in Sanders/Mitchell era…the dynamic duo!
    I actually bought a SUH Jersey! It used to be safe to go to an opposing teams stadium and cheer, but not today. I would love to go to the Lion’s Raiders game, but as excited as I get someone would probably beat me up! It isn’t worth all that and it is is a sad state of affairs these days. The most fun I have ever had at a game was being surrounded by Broncos fans at the Silverdome. It was safe back then and it was an absolute blast.
    I truly wish for the first time in years that I were in Michigan so I could go to a game!

13. By April A on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

btw…even if I am in California I have NEVER liked any of the teams here and I sure hope they win against the 40whiners! lol

14. By Doug on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

Being a Lions fan forever it has been such a blessing to see them play so well. Suh, Riola and Vanden Bosch come from the state that I call home, Nebraska. With Nebraska now part of the Big 10 a road trip to Michigan to see the Huskers will have to coincide with a Sunday game to see the Lions. Also love the Tigers and Pistons. I loved the Monday night game and how the fans supported the team. We are heading in the right direction and all the true Lions fans over the years…this ones for you, enjoy the season, we deserve it and so does the players and the city of Detroit.

15. By Gman on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

I was told nearly 4 yrs ago that I was the last Lions fan on the planet, now i find alot of bandwagon personnel. You know what, I was angry at one point but the more I thought about the more it hit that now they all want to be apart of a winner.
    Here i sit in a small town in CA “Lemoore” loving every minute of these wins to the point that I have DVR each game and watched them at least twice. If the playoff are in our future which I strongly believe, I will exhaust my credit card to get home for that first playoff victory.

16. By John O on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

I agree, I have been a lions fan since birth and I am sick of all these band wagon jumpers. where were they when we were 0-16. oh yeah laughing at me for being a lions fan and still proudly wearing my gear. I knew when Jim Swartz was hired things would begin to change. I live in Tn now ( where he was a long time defensive coordinator.) and i new he had the stuff to be a great head coach. Go LIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. By gibbyfan23 on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

Coach Swartz, as you can clearly see, LIONS FANS are estatic, and sorry for being an arm chair coach, you’ve got that department (coaching) handled just fine, you’ve righted the ship and a 50yr. curse,(ghost) whatever anybody wants to call it, like April A, i lived in AZ. when we accidently went 0-16 and wore my LIONS colors PROUD, now it’s our time, i believe you’ll get a SUPERBOWL to DETROIT LIONS, let mayhew play a dombrowski, he’s done magic for my TIGERS, we have earned the right to be a PROUD state, and for all it’s worth, THANK YOU

18. By Steve Redmond on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

True Fan 47

I have been a long time Lions fan back to the 1950′s. I used to tape the games and only watch the ones we won. Today I tape them all even the pre-season games. If Stafford can improve his execution in the first half of our games and the defense can stay healthy we can win more than 10 games this year. We still need more help and depth on the offensive line, a strong running back to complement Best and more help on special teams and in the secondary. If we add 2-3 key players next year the sky’s the limit in 2012-13. GO LIONS!!!!

19. By Ray on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

I’ve been a Lions Fan all my life( wearing all lions gear, regulary). The days of Barry Sanders, Herman Moore, Brett Perriman and Co. Got to meet Suh, last yr at the Bodybuiling expo here in Boise and it’s been cool to see Titus play who i went to school and church with. It’s been pretty cool to be a lions fan. Go Lions. Take down the 49ers!

20. By Allan Alexander on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

Like I tell my son who is a Yankees fan(don’t ask me why), when the yankees fail to make the playoffs or lose in the playoffs, I keep telling him the reason they don’t win more title’s with all the talent they go out and buy every year is because you can’t buy HEART and these Lions have HEART. Keep it up boys. Great job Schwartz you have instilled the right mentality in these guys and they have the right mind set to keep this going for years.

21. By Joe on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

49er fan here saying congratulations on your excellent start. We are excited about our unexpected success, too. Really nice for these two teams to have all the success and attention that goes with it. We were 1-9 last year at this point and this year are 9-1! Too bad one of them has to lose this week. I’m looking forward to a great game and hope to see you play each other again this year.

22. By Oldcat on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

Thanks April A. Your Dad is looking down and smiling.

It’s true. The Lions are playing with heart, but so are many of the teams they’ll play. The difference is the determination to be great. And Suh has played a huge role in bringing that mentality to Detroit. His attitude has become infectious throughout the team.

23. By jordan on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

All i have to say is wow? If they keep this up Evian if the tigers go to the world series i think the lions will be still a bigger hype around the state keep it up .
    GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LIONS

24. By Beetle on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

Stop the run and the Fortywhiners will be done. Just keep going
    “FORWARD DOWN THE FIELD”

25. By eric on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

2 my man Ghost!!! 16 and 0……!!

26. By LIONS! on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

I grew up watching the Lions and continue to watch them every chance I get. Given that I live in WI I don’t get to see many games, but I definally sit at my computer and hit the refresh button every few seconds! My BF is a die hard Packers fan, every weekend he has his Packer gear on and I have all my Lions gear on! So exciting to have a great start to the season! Definally something to rub in my bf’s face each Sunday! GO LIONS!!!!

27. By maxymen on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

hey suh! huge HUSKER FAN HERE! just wanted to say love what you are doing and can’t wait for you to show all the other NFL teams what being a HUSKER is all about! God Bless!

28. By Rindy on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

I love the LIONS, I will always love the LIONS, win or lose. I too have worn our colors proudly and will until the day I die. I have 3 daughters who also are huge LIONS fans. GO LIONS!!!!

29. By mike on Oct 18, 2011 | Reply

I GREW UP IN DETROIT AND REMEBER THEIR LAST CHAMPIONSHIP NOW I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA WHEN I TELL PEOPLE I WAS A LIONS FAN THEY LAUGHED THEN A YEAR OR SO AGO I MET SOMEONE FROM DETROIT WHO WAS A LIONS FAN HE DID NOT GIVE UP ON THE TEAM TODAY PEOPLE I KNOW ARE TALKING ABOUT THE LIONS EVEN THOUGH THEY LOST THIS PAST SUNDAY IT IS OK BECAUSE THIS IS THE YEAR OF THE LION

30. By Wallen on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Suh Kong is the lion king. The lions defence changed over 80% since the introduction of Suh kong “the lion king”. I’m not leaving out the all hard working defencive line men, like Corey “the real William”, the speedy Spievy, the tough toulluch, plus Smith, “the swift lion. Ive to go. I will say more later.

31. By Bob on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

Yeah – you pride yourself in stopping the running game. That is why you were in the top ten for the most rushing yards allowed in the NFL with 128 / game avg. Good job and I hope your production doesn’t mirror your so called pride next year. You could be so much better. Learn from Kyle, Corey, and Sammie – and sshhhh.

32. By Fred V on Jan 30, 2012 | Reply

Suh is the man. Granted, I didn’t agree with some of his actions that resulted in fines, but at the same time I saw that as a force to be feared. It’s not everyday you see a 2nd year DT with that much strength and speed that is frequently compared to Hall of Famers. Sure, there’s controversy about Suh’s “attitude”, “taking a turn for the worst”, but push comes to shove, he not only changed the NFL into being feared, but his approach has molded the Lions to their first playoff appearance in over a decade. I think with a little help in the secondary the Lions will be near UNSTOPPABLE next year.

33. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 3, 2012 | Reply

I LOVE the fact that our Defense took that personally. #DetroitAttitude

34. By JP O'Flaherty on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

SUH, did you guys watch the Green Bay/Seattle game? The way those boys rushed Rogers is the way you rush a QB! If you want to be a TEN MILLION DOLLAR Tackle or D/End you should be able to be as effective as the Seattle DE’s were Monday Night. They had 7-8-9 SACKS? How many you guys got so far? There is way too much money being shelled out for ineffective play in the NFL. I hope you aren’t going to be one of those get rich and slack off players. You could be great, but that has yet to be proven.

35. By sam stout on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

I think our defense is better than what it has been.. I can’t put my finger on it then again guess thats why I’m not coaching right? lol.. I can’t see why we don’t get more pressure on opposing quarterbacks..Suh is absolutely powerful but he is double teamed most of the time which should open up the flood gates for others to bring the QB down.. But the teams that we play who have times routes i don’t understand why we don’t jam receivers at the line instead of playing 10yds off them. Any fake the receiver throws is basically an automatic catch cause our DB are playing so far off..Hey what do I know. Just seems other teams can do more with less and the techniques used are quite different.

36. By sm980268 on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

Im 40yrs a lions fan all my life , watch at least 11 games a year. I know what I see. No play strategies or coaching here BUT, Destroy the darn Running Back,take the four of you starting defensive line man ( Look in the mirror and say to yourselves They dont respect us, Their laugh at you before the game!!! ) Destroy!!!!

37. By sm980268 on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

Look : You know what you can do , Nebraska knows, I know. Detroit needs a little nudge. The rest of the Nfl forgot your name. They need reminded your the second coming of reggie White. Soon to be forgotten by your Nfl career. BUT, Rest yous motor and play your game. I got your back, detroits got your back, Were going to break the Nfl’s back all together in the D. Will be writing you next week, peace and godbless. Pretty soon you’ll have a secondary LOL SM

38. By John on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Suh, Why is it you and Fairley have to go out of your way to inflict excessive punishment on the other teams players? An extra couple of steps and knockdown here, and a turn of the foot there for a kick there, or a stomp here and an extra hard take-down there? You are much better than that man! With the talent you possess you could be adominant force in the NFL. To be known and respected by your league as fierce competetor and a clean player would be a much more rewarding experience to you and your many fans! I, for one think you really don´t need to play this way with the talent you have. Be competitive but in a clean way. Your reputation will make your legacy as a real Pro. Think about it?