Lions fall short, 25-19, to 49ers

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on October 16, 2011 – 2:51 pm

After getting off to a slow start in the first half for both teams, the 49ers ultimately came away with the 25-19 win.

The Lions were able to get something going, but it wasn’t enough as San Francisco came back in the fourth quarter to seal the game with a QB Alex Smith 6-yard touchdown pass to TE Delanie Walker with 1:51 on the clock, followed by a K David Akers 37-yard field goal with :14 seconds left in the game.

Against one of the top ranked defenses, Quarterback Matthew Stafford finished connecting on 28 of 50 passes for 293 yards and 2 touchdowns (16 yards to TE Brandon Pettigrew and 5 yards to WR Nate Burleson).

Stafford’s favorite target WR Calvin Johnson finished the game with 7 catches for 113 yards, marking his third 100+-yard game of the season.

RB Jahvid Best finished the day with 110 all-purpose yards (37 rushing, 73 receiving).

Defensively, the Lions were able to keep pressure on Smith all day, forcing 2.0 sacks, including a sack-fumble from DE Kyle Vanden Bosch, and an interception. The 49ers finished with five false starts.

40 Responses to “Lions fall short, 25-19, to 49ers”

1. By JTMtnLion on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Is it just me, or does Pettigrew drop a lot of passes? Didn’t look like the DL showed up today either. 5-1 is a good start,

2. By Richard Heyman on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Lions looked poor on offense. Backus let the DE run by him not allowing Stafford enough time. Stafford looked out of sync from the first snap. Pettigrew dropped too many passes, and had costly penalties (the same with Young). CJ got that 41 yard pass with a good chance of outrunning the DB’s but went down instead.
    Had like 3 times inside the 5-10 yard lines and settled for FG’s instead of TD’s. Bad penalties at the wrong time. The second last possession with time to score was awful. No one looked like they were ready to play, no blocking and Stafford looked like he didn’t much care either way. We definitely need a new Left Tackle, and center, and a better running game.

3. By JTMtnLion on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

but with Thanksgiving and NewYears games against NFC North rivals, ones like this cannot slip away. If this happens much more, a wild card spot could be lost on New Years.

4. By James Kerman on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

I’m somewhat perplexed by the placement of the football following Ted Ginn’s punt return with 5:30 left in the fourth period. Clearly, from the replay (which I taped on my TV), Ginn was pushed out of bounds at the Detroit 41 yard line by the punter. Inexplicably, the ball was immediately placed at the 36 yard line for San Francisco. Could the officiating crew REALLY misplace the ball by five yards??!!??

5. By al on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

this game we lost by the offence and the play calling at the end…………..what else do u spec from the offence….

6. By al on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

we kill the deffens

7. By Big Al on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Um, who was it that defeated the Packers AND knocked Rodgers for a loop last year? Oh yes, it was the Detroit Lions! I, too, look forward to Thanksgiving…

8. By Redwing_Liger on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Live it up while you can Cali Packers fan because I’m looking for Rogers getting knocked out of the game Thanksgiving Day. Of course you won’t be back until Thanksgiving Day, because the Lions aren’t going to lose any more games leading up to Thanksgiving day, and then your Packers will no longer be undefeated either!!!

Matthew Stafford needs to work with his quarterback coach (IMO) because not only is he getting less accurate as time goes on, but he doesn’t seem to be thinking clearly at times. Case in point on his scramble/rollout be threw the ball a yard short of the line of scrimmage and it seemed like he wasn’t conscious of where he was on the field when he gave up the safety. What a day for so many people to have an off day! I still can’t believe we lost this game… we win the turnover battle (+2) take care of the ball, and played well at times on defense, but not well enough. We even won the time of possession (slightly) but we left way too many points on the field. That, along with the six-point swing missing a field goal (42 yards) just before David Akers hit his 45 yard field goal was an enormous mistake. Fortunately though I’ve seen these kinds of games my entire life and even though this one was a heart breaker this isn’t “The Same Old Lions” that I feel I need to be concerned about, and I have never not rooted for my Lions, but I expect will be a lot more room on my bandwagon. I hope the Lions use this opportunity to work that much harder in their practices, because there were a lot of missed opportunities (dropped balls) today and that we just cannot have, especially when Stafford is having an off day.

9. By John on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

@ Cali Packers fan

It’s all about progress. Nobody expects the lions to hit the superbowl this year, or east I don’t. But I do see potential and I do see progress. Granted, it was a rough game but I’ve seen the lions take the Packers to the cleaners in previous years when they’ve had worse players and worse records. We’ll see come Thanksgiving day. Bring it!

10. By Anthony on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

One tough loss does not a season end. Before last year’s Super Bowl run, packer cheese head fans han NOTHING to cheer about. Now they think they are the best fans in the world. After such an emotional performance against the bears on MNF, the Lions were due for a let down. They must re-group and go to Atlanta and drop the falcons. As for 49′er’s coach jim harbaugh, he was a punk at michigan, he was a punk when he was in the pros, he was a punk as the HC of Stanford and he is STILL a PUNK NOW.

11. By Michael Kukuska on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

I can not believe we have a man like Calvin Johnson, and our quarterback spends most of the game trying to get the ball to Pettigrew, and then he constantly drops them. Are they related?
    We have a 1.08 minutes left in the game and you would’ve thought they had all day. One pass to Johnson, last pass.PATHETIC
    First 4 games Johnson 2 touchdowns apiece, 4 wins, last game 1 touchdown 1 win, 6th game no touchdowns, we lose. I can’t believe we didn’t get the ball to him in the red zone.

12. By smdb on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

hey packers fan gtfo you idiot. you are an absolutely disgrace to the league and don’t even deserve to be a fan. go away.

13. By buczko on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

wow as a lions fan for the last 20 years i can say that the effort i saw today was horrible what the heII backus you couldnt even give a little effort and to the play calling are you serious with the last defensive sequence on the goal line press coverage there would have eliminated the quick pass im dissapointed the game was ours to lose what was stafford thinking he was playing horrible even if under pressure there is no excuse for the missed opportunities peddigrew drop wth and just poor performance for the defensive playing calling they ran that little block back run for ten+ yds like 8 times really what the helI is the problem bring pressure more against a good front

14. By KriSchwartskri on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

KaaaaWhaaaaaa!!!!!!!

15. By Derek on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Lions are not as good as their record says… No power running game. Offensive line has holes too. Lions are a 9-7 team, maybe 10-6 if they continue to have the luck they have so far this year…. NOTE: they will be scary next year when they get Mikel Leshoure back. Can you imagine having his power running game to compliment Best? Wow… add a couple of offensive linemen to that and you are talking contender…

16. By Doug on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

I was very surprised by the lackadaisical effert of the Lions. They didn’t look like they were ready to play today. There were too many dropped passes and I seen no sense of urgency during the last 1:51 of the game. Stafford looked out of sorts with his play. Why would the Lions go for two when up 19-15? an extra point kick gives you a 5 point lead forcing the Niners to go for two if they scored. Not a good coaching decision. Detroit looked confused and not on the same page late in the game. Lets rebound next week against the Falcons

17. By KTT09 on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

My apologies… I had to see the post game altercation on the NFL Network. They cut to the New England game IMMEDIATELY after the handshake…. Please disregard previous posting.

18. By Bill Mi on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Hey Cali Packer Puke!…ever heard of being a sore winner…really no class man..
    as for the game…Stafford did look lost but the real difference is in the running game…S.F. 141 yards!!…Best…37..ugh… a good running game once in awhile won’t do it…We need a running back…until then I’m afraid that though the Lions are looking better. I believe we still have a year or two to go…Still it’s great to see the Lions playing better and winning some games.

19. By jordan on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Hay Cali Why cum oh are blog and try to start problem’s with aver body you now green bay has a great team and that fine but we have had a long time with a bad team and it’s just nice seeing them play pretty DAM GOOD . why don’t you let are fan’s have a good time with a great start that where having and you now that we still have a lot of good player like sue Calvin. ya you have rogers and Jennings and a hole slew of talent.. oh we’ll do what you wan;t nobody can stop you but can you just not say the f bomb so much. i now my son is a big fan of the pack and if i show him this blog he wood probable not be a fan of green bay any more and i kind don’t think all green bay fan are that bad .I now there is nothing wrong with some smack tacking .but cum on

20. By BigM53 on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Wow !!! Last I checked, everyone that suited up today, has signed a contract and will be paid for that effort !!! They shouldn’t, they should give that back to the Ford’s !! They need to look in the mirror(all except a handful that dressed), and be real with themselves, because that effort was WEAK !! I know,a short week, and yes the 49ers have a good ‘D’. The 49ers walked into “the cage” and out played us from the opening kickoff ! No intensity, no hunger, plain and simple the 49ers wanted it way more than Detroit did !! Stafford, not sure where you left your game today, but I know you sure didn’t bring it ! How about going deep a few times, if for nothing else to get it in their head that the threat is there. Nope,lets throw to petti or spike it into the turf. Your head was somewhere else today Matthew, certainly didn’t come to win a ball game.
    Lets hope that this is a reality check and we can only hope that they come to play next Sunday !
    Question to anyone out there !!! If there was a game ball to present to a lion, who would you pick ?……………….. I couldn’t think of anyone either !!!

21. By BigM53 on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Hey “Cali Packers Fem”!! First of all are you that much of an ogre that you have to surf to other team sites and pick fights with their fans? Seriously ?!! Man you need some counseling… You were probably “Cali Patriots Fem ” too when they won the Superbowl !!! Get a life !!!!

22. By jasonq on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CLOCK MANAGEMENT IN THE LAST 106 SECONDS.

23. By Alex Rivera on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

for you so called lions fan you are so pathetic, I’m a true lions fans, not to mention I live in NJ, One loss and all of a sudden your trashing your team.. pathetic, brings a lot of memory when they played the eagles last year , which I was their game wasn’t even over and the pathetic fan were already walking out, until we almost came back in the game , even though we lost by 3 points. Do us a favor you lion bandwagons move on to another team.

24. By Alex Rivera on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

I could predicted right now , if we win next week vs falcons and that’s if we win, then I can see these fake lions fans so called 20 years being a fan, which surprise me. Coming out saying some positive things hahahahah, seen it all. If your a true fan of the NFL, especially of your team you would never trash your team even if they loss, like we have. you fake lions fan suck.

25. By Anthony on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Alex, I could not have said it any better. The Lions seemed flat yesterday, a tough, emotional victory over the hated bears on Monday Night Football, then a somewhat bad game the following sunday. First and Goal from the 6 and they only get 3 points. gore makes 2 runs of over 40 yards, a TD on 4th and Goal, that may or may not have been a TD. Did his knee hit BEFORE the ball crossed the goal line? VERY close. But all in all, it was just 1 loss. If the Lions are the team I think they are, they will make some adjustments along the D-line (sometimes the wide 9 allows for too many runs up the middle (see forte and gore) ) and Stafford has to get better protection from the O-Line. The running game has to click a little bit better, and all will be ok. matt ryan must be flushed from the pocket and dropped all day long. The D-Line MUST sack him. If the Lions make these adjustments, they will be at 6-1 by October 24th and all will be well again.

26. By DaBears on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

now you know what we Bears fans felt on Monday night!!!

“any given Sunday”

27. By tyrone on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

haha

28. By paul b. iron mtn. on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Nice one loss get over it TEAM . Now get back to work . Matt needs to clam down in the beganing of this games. Yes the O line needs to do a lot better job too. but i think we all knew that. Backus has been here a long time but damm get him some help a sub or something.. Not to take away the niner’s D but damm I know you can game plan some stuff to help out NO? All in ALL in was not happy with the way things when down but it was a good game . Two good teams only one wins .. But are team must play all three parts or 4 parts of the game sold from the top on down. You win as a team you loss as a team. Now come on man get your heads out of your butt’s and get your a game together. And I do not care what that LOUD MOUTH PACKER FAN thinks !!
    Pretty sad he has to come on our site in the 1st place to show our kids and all
    just how low he is … Just to get our fan going. And the shoe will be on the other foot soon i knew . Cause they well not go 16-0 either.. But i knew our team would not go unbeaten either just to many good teams out there . People get hurt and things change. Just life!! Go TEAM GO!! put this aside but learn from it and get bettter and move on. GO LIONS GO..

29. By mike on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

GO NINERS!!!!

30. By Oldcat on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

All of this would be a moot point had it not been for the 49er 4th down TD pass that should have been stopped by Carpenter. If you watch the replay, Carpenter missed an easy tackle that would have stopped Walker at least a full yard short and virtually ended the game with a Lions’ win. The 49ers had exhausted all but one timeout and there was only 1min.51sec. on the clock at the start of the play. Watch the replay and you’ll see how Carpenter blew such an easy play. You have to wonder if a healthy Durant would have been in position and made that tackle?

31. By Woody Douglas on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

I agree with most of the other bloggers, Stafford played a scared game. After the first 49s first rush at him, he seem disorientate and quite honestly Stafford was more worried about the 49s rush. Stafford, he threw early because of pressure, he was off target,and mentally lost.

32. By doyourstuff on Oct 18, 2011 | Reply

I’ve been a football fan for 50 years, played ball in high school. I’m a student of the game. So is my wife. For 20 years I was a Houston Oiler fan. The most painful period of my life!

Now I have the Lions, and I’m revved! They have the potential to go all the way, but we are 2-3 years away from a serious Super Bowl bid. Play offs, maybe, but no chance we can win a SB until we perfect our running game.

I am confident that the Lions management and coaching staff are going to crank up a running game, but for the time being they need to stop this pussy footing and start airing out the ball. Both the fans and the players would rather lose taking risks than the pusilanimous way we are playing right now.

Matt has the arm and the accuracy. Johnson, and our other receivers, will fight for the ball. Odds are they will win the battle for the ball most of the time, but we can’t win unless we sir it out, and stop with the hen packing. I don’t mind a loss so much when we go down firing, but that 49ers loss really got my goat! We went down with a whimper, instead of sending our ball hawks downfield, and letting them try for a pass.

33. By tony kayden on Oct 18, 2011 | Reply

Missed opportunities is what cost us that game. Matt missed a few open receivers because of the pressure the SF d line put on him., Titus lined up offsides twice, once costing us a big gain. When Pettigrew got down to the S.F. ten and a great pass and it was called back because of an illegal chop block, the call in the replay looked bad. Cheridus was knocked onto the opposing player by a S.F. player. That was a huge play for them because after another penalty we had to settle for a 55 yd. field goal which Hanson missed. We score a TD there we’re up by 11 with about 4 minutesl left. If we had made that fg we would’ve been up by 7. That was the drive that cost us the game. Also our defense missed a bunch of tackles, and the o line didn’t protect Matthew as good as they have been. Maybe coming off that huge Monday nite win the team was flat, but now it’s time to suck it in and prove that loudmouth calipackerfan how wrong he is. The Lions are a very, very good team. Wait til’ it all comes together for us in every facet of the game. I don’t see anyone beating us if we quit making mental errors and play up to our potential. Go Lions. I expect no more loses taking a 10-1 record into Ford Field on Thanksgiving Day against the Packers, who will have their jerseys handed to them.

34. By LionSlayer49ers on Oct 18, 2011 | Reply

@tony,…The Niners had so many penalties (120 yards created by thousands of emotional Lion fans), the score would have been much different. SF ran right at Lions for 203 yards. The SF Kicking team Great!, the SF Defense Awesome (3.5 sacks) the SF Offense 25 points! It was more than just 1 play, we will see you in the near future!

35. By Josh on Oct 18, 2011 | Reply

First off. Cali doesn’t say stuff because he believes it, he says it to make us mad. Just the fact that he is here means we are good but to the true lion fan, we have watched this team grow since we got rid of Millen. The Pack were 13-3 the year before Rodgers took over. They went 6-10 the next year and have consistently gotten better. We only have a handful of guys that have played in this system for more than a year together. We have all the pieces and frankly the fact that we started out this good says something. Once all the guys start really learning what each other is going to do in certain situations we are going to be tough to beat. (we are already tough to beat) I don’t care much that we, lost I just want to see how the guys respond to it.

36. By doyourstuff on Oct 19, 2011 | Reply

@CaliPacker: What’s with you dude? Why the heckling? You obviously consider the Lions a threat, or you wouldn’t be here. I would say the same to a Lions fan peeing on your parade. Methinks it’s more about a guy who just loves to stir controversy, and hide behind anonimity to bash other folks. C’mon, why not let us root for our team without the trash talk? Get a life.

37. By Motlee92 on Oct 19, 2011 | Reply

@calipacker, I love how you think the Packers are some kind of modern day men of steel. Yeah, their a good team, but your gloating on our web site after beating the St Louis Lambs. C’mon man. The Packers are going to lose. I mean let’s face it…They didn’ teven win the division last year, they got lucky in the playoffs. If you don’t have anything better to do than come on our site and drop the F-bomb then you must have a miserable exsistance. I guess your the type who sez “WE WON” and “THEY LOST” when referring to your packers. My advise to you is get a life!

38. By Chuck on Oct 21, 2011 | Reply

I do not understand why we do not stretch the field. The play calling is too predictable. Count the number of times Best runs on first down. No imagination. Pathetic!
    No one can stop CJ. Start each game sending him downtown at least 2 times. Throw the ball where only he can jump up to get it. Worst case 3 and out. We are seeing to much of that. Best case CJ scores. Either way the safeties will back up and everyone else will be more successful. Linehan seems to think that by holding CJ back he can suprise the opponet. Da! They know who CJ is. Make them RESPECT him. Aron Rogers goes deep early and very successful.cause the defense knows they better respect him. Quit throwing tinker passes and open it up. Check your game film. It’s best into the line on 1st for several possesions.Then all of a sudden it’s play action to best and Stafford hits CJ on a deep slant for large gain. Again, they cannot stop CJ. Send him deep and often. Defense keep doing the good job that you are doing. The metrics I use are: Score 1 TD per quarter and hold the opponet to just under that. These guys are all good. Even the bad teams. So far the defense has held up their end.

39. By jordan on Oct 21, 2011 | Reply

we’ll we will see if we can stop MR. ICE this Sunday. I think we should have any problems stopping there office .Its there d that is real good so if we score we will win so let’s hop are team get’s it’s office start fast and keep it going and we will win this game . Lets go Detroit beat those dirty birds and stop Matty ice and frenzy that bird .

40. By Deni411 on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Look, the team has a long way to go , but the talent is there. And some one needs to light a fire under Stafford. If he get any more complacent , were going to have to get him a chair for the sideline.