Calvin Johnson on the offense, red zone woes and snow in Denver

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on October 26, 2011 – 4:23 pm

“It was a tough practice today because everybody’s sore. I’m sore. It was slow at first, but it definitely picked up in the end, though. So that was good. It turned to be a really good practice.

“As an offense, we’re just trying to get our mojo back. Guys are still into it. I can’t say exactly why we haven’t been clicking the way we were early in the season – in the preseason and stuff. We just have to get back to being us. Having fun out there. It’s been a little different in the huddle. We used to be fooling around out there all the time. We’ve got to get back to that – having fun out there.

“One factor is that we have gone against some good coordinators – some guys that have some good schemes and then have players on top of that to play out those schemes. That’s tough. Everybody has a job to do on both sides of the ball. Those guys get paid, too, but I feel when we’re on our stuff and we’re doing what we have to do then we’re always going to win.

“As far as me getting the ball in the red zone … these coordinators, these teams, they’re playing more disciplined. There’s not a lot of man in the red zone. You’re going to see brackets, you’re going to see a safety over the top most of the time, but that’s not to say you can’t beat that. We definitely can. We just need to get back to what we’re capable of.

“I was looking at the weather report on my phone and see that it’s snowing in Denver. I looked at it further in the week and it’s supposed to be like 50 on Saturday. So it’ll probably all melt, if not today then tomorrow. We’ll be fine. It might be a little chilly on Sunday, but that’s fine as long as it’s not freezing cold like Green Bay.”

Tags: ,
Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 27 Comments »

27 Responses to “Calvin Johnson on the offense, red zone woes and snow in Denver”

1. By john darby on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

The altitude sucks to run in … Thinner air practice with a dust mask or something to get used to it lol. GO LIONS!!

2. By Scott MacDonald on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Faith and heart. Those are the keys to all great teams. Know you are better, and having the heart to continue to be better than the other guy. The desire and drive to WIN. Keep the faith. Have the heart. Go Lions!

3. By JFITZ on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

I am so glad CJ said what he did. I had posted the same asumption earlier this week, it looked as if Stafford had lost his swagger. Pre-season and early in the year he was throwing to 7, 8, and 9 different receivers and just winging it all over the place. Now he looks cautious, determined not to make a mistake. Ever since the 2nd qtr of the 49er game his body language has changed. He has even started to “aim” the ball and even throwing it side arm.

If CJ has realized that it is a great thing because he can help calm down and motivate Stafford. One good come back game is what the ofeense needs and Denver may just give us that soark to get back on top of things.

4. By mike on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Calvin is megatron. Throw him the ball and good things happen.

5. By robert brenton on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Stafford needs to relax and play his game at the start of the season he was one of the better passers. Now he throws low or over thier heads and behind them.He also seems to pick one recievereach week and thats who he seems to always go to. THe other teams see that in films and know his habits.But you are doing alot better than before so keep up the good work and go lions.

6. By john darby on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Stafford has not looked good. In my opinion he needs better protection guys hitting him untouched is unacceptable no matter who is WR

They will work it out love to see those bombs to CJ ,nate and the boys GO. LIONS

7. By Richard Heyman on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Hey CJ, If you guys are going three and out, either Matt isn’t getting enough time to throw, or the other receivers aren’t getting open? We all know that you are always an option if you are singled or doubled doesn’t really matter as long as the ball is catchable. Why don’t they use Stovall and you in the same set (2 big bodies with good hands)? It’s been very disappointing that with you, Burleson, Young, Pettigrew, and Scheffler Matt can’t find anyone to throw to. They should try putting either Williams or Heller in the backfield just to protect Matt’s blindside? Also, what’s up with not giving Keiland Williams more carries? He gets good positive yard each carry?

8. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

It is so important to avoid fear of losing after two not so hot games. Use those experiences to get back that which belongs to the Lions.

9. By Dale Waterman on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Hey Calvin,
    We are 5-2 and soon to be 6-2 @ bye week…….ease up and have fun out there…..I am have a blast @ 5-2 and i haven’t had this much fun since Barry was here……Ran into a guy I haven’t seen for years watching our Lions and it was like we were family, shared a burger and a beer and talked Lions DON’T EVEN KNOW HIS LAST NAME????…..See were haven’t fun……join us Sunday and tell Matt and the boys that the only ones that aren’t haven’t been around long enough…..I am a 35 year vet. SEE YA SUNDAY @ 4:05 AND HAVE FUN….. I WILL WATCHING AND IT NOT SUPPOSE TO SNOW,,,,I AM WATCHING TOOOOO.

10. By CarpenterDon on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

I have an Idea for the red zone woes! Put Stanton in at half back and watch the other teams defense call a time out. The Lions could do some nice play calls off of that.

11. By BigM53 on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Live in Colorado, as of right now the extended looks like low 60′s. If the wind stays away, should be good football weather ! I too will be at the game on Sunday ! I hope you and the boys bring your game to Mile High and get back on a winning streak !

12. By lionmike on Oct 27, 2011 | Reply

Stafford is uncofomfortable because he is getting hit every other play. Our o-line isn’t that good and our play calling from the OC has been even worse. If the o-line can’t block for 3 seconds, call plays that run shorter routes with higher completion percentages. Throw more screens. Keep the defense on it’s toes. It seems that when we do get the right play called, Pettigrew or Nate drop the ball. The team is playing undisciplined from the players to the coordinators and that falls on the HC to get them in line. We are the Lions and we still need to earn respect. We haven’t earned anything yet. The d-line may want to focus a little more on being feared from their work on the field rather than the pub they are getting on ESPN even though they aren’t getting to the QB or stopping the run as of late.. Don’t talk about it, be about it.

13. By lionmike on Oct 27, 2011 | Reply

Sorry. I don’t mean to sound so negative, but I feel we are better than SF and ATL, so those losses still sting. I hope we don’t over look Denver and just get back to playing like an inspired team. On one hand it feels great to say we should make the playoffs. On the other, I don’t want to be let down….again.

14. By Dick on Oct 27, 2011 | Reply

Penalities, dropped passes, weak protection by the offensive line and no running game. It is a wonder that our Lions are 5-2. I live in Wisconsin, but I was born in Mi. and have loved those lions for my entire life. I only want to see them have a great season, but there is a whole lot to improve on.

15. By paul b. iron mtn. on Oct 27, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Richard Heyman . The OC should add a bigger body in the back flied to help protect Matt’s back . It seems like the OL is not blocking at all at times. Matt getting happy feet or something . He’s not as comfortable back there as he looked earlier in the year. Not sure if he can move around in the pocket to buy alittle time like Rogers does but there are times you need to but , it would help if some of the guys move around more (or have a hot rec’v ) when these team blitz us or get a good push on this line that is soft/ week at times. But you guy are young and learning too. Just get back to work on your A game . I think the coaches can do a better job calling plays too. But Matt needs to clam down he lookis like a deer in the headlights at times . I know he can do better than the last couple of weeks . So, GO LIONS GO TEAM !!!

16. By Steve B on Oct 27, 2011 | Reply

I hate to say it, but I think my old Lions are back. Please prove me wrong. Offensive line penalties have returned. Lack of protection has returned. Reliance of Jason Hanson is back. Sacks have slowed. Positive plays are being returned due to penalties. I don’t want the old Lions back. I was getting used to the new Lions. Bring them back.

17. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Oct 27, 2011 | Reply

Dang, Don Carpenter has a good idea, Stanton in the back field, a lot of plays come to mind there.

18. By Just1Fan on Oct 27, 2011 | Reply

The problem with Detroit’s offense is (1) their running game s u c k s due to terrible blocking. And (2) Stafford is “waiting” too long for his receivers to get open before he throws the ball. He SHOULD throw the ball as his receivers are coming out of their breaks. This involves reading the defense before the ball is snapped, “anticipating” the receivers getting open, and throwing the ball where the receivers can get it. Lately, he either holds on to the ball too long, or has a problem with accuracy. To me, there’s only two kinds of quarterbacks… the ones who get it done, and the ones who don’t. It will be interesting to see which one he turns out to be. Right now, I think the game is moving way too fast for him.

19. By LionsFanInSpokane on Oct 27, 2011 | Reply

I am excited to see how the Lions Perform in Denver. I definitely expect you guys to come out and really take it to Denver. With the off week coming up the best place in the world to train is in Denver with the high altitude (our Oympians train there). Have you considered staying an extra week or two to get high altitude lungs and than be really ready to take it to the league the rest of the year or do you think being in enemy territory wouldn’t be real productive or is this just a time for players to get a way for a week to be with families? Whatever happens…GO LIONS!

20. By GMoney67 on Oct 28, 2011 | Reply

Every quartergack gets hit every game. The ones who don’t allow that to affect their game are the ones who are game changers. Stafford’s gonna get hit. Just throw the dayum ball already and stop holding it for whatever reason he is. The passing windows aren’t going to get any wider. In the first couple of games, the windows didn’t seem to matter. Now all we hear are excuses. Enough of that. Play!

21. By DenverOranges on Oct 28, 2011 | Reply

Von MIller is going to have a good day for the Broncos.

Go Broncos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. By wade haley on Oct 28, 2011 | Reply

i can’t belive that thay did not try to get the ball to calvin one time and the red zone just get him the ball in red zone

23. By Bill Newman on Oct 28, 2011 | Reply

I’ve been a Lion’s fan since 1965 and I’ve seen slot of games but you guys are something special.Go and play Your game to the best of Your ability,have fun and stick together,you’ll be alright.Don’t forget why you are here,We are all proud of all you guys.Give ‘em hell

24. By v long on Oct 29, 2011 | Reply

plzzz get Javid Best A akevlar special helmet___!!!!he is a great back we need to keep? Here Romo gets a vestkevlar helmet an keys to the kingdom . Sure All the teams think we are going long plz do some down the sidelines and come backs to the back shoulders! Use the sidrlines like med _sqaure outs and back to keeping defences off balance! What happened to the hurry up offence so you can get the play and match ups u want! should have won last two games and oh ya miss direction run plays like barry used to do all by himself defences zero in on us up the middle every time why?sorry im a great happy fan but its fustrating !<<<>>>>>

25. By ken hennig on Oct 29, 2011 | Reply

but in any event,,GO LIONS!!! hope we make the playoffs!!

26. By JudKast on Oct 30, 2011 | Reply

Tired of the excuses – EITHER PLAY AND WIN LIONS – OR SHUT UP.

27. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 30, 2012 | Reply