Posted by Tara Altman on October 26, 2011 – 4:20 pm

“It was a good game. Obviously, we didn’t come out on the right end of the stick, but I think we learned a lot of good things. It’s a matter of us continuing to learn from these mistakes that we’ve made, that have caused us to not come out on the right end of these games. Now, we have an opportunity to move past it, as I felt we did on Monday, and now we’re getting focused on taking care of the business on the road again as we play Denver this Sunday.

“With a win, you need to approach it like a loss, it’s maybe a little more in depth with an (actual) loss because you didn’t come out on the right end of it, but you need to have the 36 hour rule. Live and learn from it and move on because there’s nothing you can do with that game anymore except to learn from your mistakes and not let it happen again. I think that’s the biggest thing you need to do and I think we’ve done that as a team. I think we came out today with a great practice, and obviously we need to finish strong going into this bye week.

“Tim Tebow is a quarterback that’s been in a lot of big games. He just got his first start of this year, but he’s definitely played a good amount in that offense, he played a good amount last year, and now at this point in time in his career he’s getting the opportunity to take that team by the ropes and really make the most out of it. I think he did that last week, bringing the team back in Miami and now he’s able to get home and maybe feel a little more comfortable with his fans behind him and so forth.

“Ultimately, us as a defense and as a front four, we want to go in and cause havoc and we feel that if we shut down the run as we want to do every single game, making them one-dimensional, they’ll have a tough time beating us because we feel we have the type of players that can keep them on their heels and force them to play the way we want them to and if that happens we should definitely come out with a win.

“My character and mindset when approaching the game of football, a sport that I love and have grown to love, my mentality is to never disrespect the game or disrespect the guys that have come before me. I only want to live up to the things that they’ve done in the past and try to exceed them and I think that’s what they would expect and hope for. That’s my mindset and approach to the game.

“With that, really being in everything, with the team that I’m on, the type of players that I’m around, I play for them and the coaches and the true fans that we have that stick by us no matter what, that don’t waiver because we may have had two stumbles. I think this team is continuing to really grow and I think we’re only going to get better. I think these two losses at home are only going to allow us to get stronger. We don’t want to allow that to ever happen again at home for the rest of the regular season and hopefully moving forward into the playoffs.”

Tags: ,
Posted in Ndamukong Suh Blog | 17 Comments »

17 Responses to “Suh: “My mentality is to never disrespect the game or disrespect the guys that have come before me.””

1. By Kim on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Thats the right stuff Suh! Don’t let the media and other more negative teams bring you down. You have the opportunity to step up and lead this team and all of your opponents know that. Stand strong and be true to yourself! We need you!

2. By Ben on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Suh. The true lions fans, those of us that have been around and just as faithful in the ups and the downs, support you. You don’t need a pep talk from a random fan. But know that we are behind you. Being at the MNF game was a special day that took me back to feelings I haven’t had since Barry was actually playing in the games. But time moves on. And we did too. Two losses can be part of an amazing season. Especially one that involves what this team have been through.

3. By Michael on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

I love Suh’s passion and intensity for the game. But the penalties have really hurt the team in some very key situations. I am a huge fan and I don’t want him to calm down, just turn it down when the whistle blows.

4. By Richard Heyman on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Kong, Man don’t pay any attention to those Atlanta cry babies. No one took anything they said, but being sour grapes. You aren’t on the football field to make friends, and those guys are trying to get into your head, so that you’ll back off and not hurt them. All the old pros, and most all sports writers are backing you, and the way you play (although you did almost take Ryan’s head off). Are they gonna pair your and Fairley together?

5. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

My mom told me to win as if I were used to it, and lose as if I expected it. Teddy Kennedy said, ” you don’t deserve to win until you know how to lose.:”
    Well, we Lions fans know how to lose now the team deserves to win.

6. By marcus on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Stop saying I think SUH. Are you uncertain of your teammates or something. Too many gashes in the defense. I know our D-LINE is over rated with the holes we leave open I can take off a plane through that line right now. And the offense is horrible at the moment Stafford has no time too throw the ball. I was going to vote jimmy for coach of the year but naaw he believes in that sorry Jeff Backus to much when he releases him maybe Ill vote Stafford is getting killed just likme John Kitna did. Dont talk that false hope crap too the fans and the opposing teams if yall cant back it up.

7. By Josh on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Pretty amazing how our own fan base turns on our team so fast. Pretty bummed to read all this stuff written. Lions are a good team learning how to be great. Just a few years back the Pack were 6-10. They almost didn’t make the playoffs last year (but we let them in) and they won the super bowl. We will be fine. Our team is too good to not figure it out like past lion teams. GO LIONS!!!!

8. By BigM53 on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Play your game ! Then everything else will fall into place !

9. By Moke on Oct 27, 2011 | Reply

Keep up the intensity. Although the past few weeks have been rough, it’s not compared to the past 10+ years. I’ve been a fan since 1989, and will continue to support through the thick and thin. Keep it up. As the only true actual Hawaiian fan in Hawaii (I think) that’s been there ever since, I appreciate what you guys are doing for us true fans. Go out there and get’em. My son is now a true fan as I am, and we have so much to cheer for this year. Mahalo (thank you) from Hawaii.

10. By Brandon Jetts on Oct 27, 2011 | Reply

Just keep doing what your doing and get your team back on track big man! the D loves u guys and wants to see success!

11. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Oct 27, 2011 | Reply

Ben is right, 5 and 2 does not a season make.

12. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Oct 27, 2011 | Reply

Yup, just like Coach Madden says, “Just like you practiced.”

13. By paul b. iron mtn. on Oct 27, 2011 | Reply

I Just get a kick out of some of these so called FANS. I live in the U.P. of michigan and just wish i could take my two boy’s to a game . But, I’ll tell you this the FANS that do make it to the games sure are quite after the way it was so loud for the monday night game and the beganning of the 49’er game. i could not beleave it could of head dawn breaking in the last one. Why in the HELL have a home game if the FANS that can help out the TEAM just sit there like mice. Could sit home and watch on TV if your not going to YELL AND RAISE HELL with the OTHER TEAMS . And stop the damm boo ing shhh!!
    If you guys and ladies Yelled and Suppouted the team like you should be maybe they (the team ) would feel that engery from you and play better too.
    I know if i was on the field and heard all the boo’s I would say go to hell if thats the way you feel about us . Help us out here or go home. Damm man fair weather freinds or what ? I Yell louder at home here than some of the FANS at the game. And you know what most poeple here are packer fans just because they can go 100 miles from here to see them play and thats it. But that them not me or my family I have 6 brothers two sisters and three kids of my own all LIONS FANS. Bottom lines here is if Home Field is to mean anythings MAKE IT LOUD AND PROUD …. Go TEAM …..

14. By Dave "Waz" on Oct 27, 2011 | Reply

Last night on the NFL Today program on Showtime the announcers all commented on how “sissyfide” the game is by todays standards. There are crybabys sprouting up all over the NFL. Collinsworth exclaimed, based on Suh’s stlye, that he would even be more vauable to any team because that particular style is very desirable in the huddle. It’s what coaches want infecting others to bring their game to that level. No one felt sorry for the Lions when we were loosing. We were made fun of. Now the shoes on the other foot and no one likes being pushed around by the Lions. Get used to it all you other teams. These guys are for real and it’s only going to get worse for you as we get better.

15. By DenverOranges on Oct 28, 2011 | Reply

Suh is the man but I hope he has an off day on Sunday

Go Broncos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. By Lions Roarr on Oct 28, 2011 | Reply

House of spears!

17. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 3, 2012 | Reply

Suh can talk a good game and also can play it!