Lions start rolling in the first half at Denver

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on October 30, 2011 – 5:47 pm

After disjointed offensive performances the last two weeks, the Detroit Lions came out rolling against at Denver.

Trailing 3-0 after the Broncos’ opening drive, quarterback Matthew Stafford led the Lions 80 yards in six plays for the team’s first touchdown of the game. Though the Lions wouldn’t score for the rest of the quarter, Stafford finished 7-of-7 for 83 yards with the touchdown for a perfect 155.7 quarterback rating.

On the defensive side of the ball, the Lions bore down and didn’t allow a Denver first down in the second quarter. In the meantime, Stafford and the offense continued to produce to build a 24-3 halftime lead.

Notable first-half stats:

• The Lions finished with 274 total yards compared with Denver’s 96.
  • The Lions did not commit a single penalty in the first half.
  • Detroit finished the first half with 92 rushing yards (Maurice Morris led the team with 44 yards on 10 carries with 1 TD).

13 Responses to “Lions start rolling in the first half at Denver”

1. By eric on Oct 30, 2011 | Reply

Jumped up out Detriot got my swag on!! Road Warriors…

2. By wendymaddy on Oct 30, 2011 | Reply

wonderful game to watch! This is the Detroit Lions team we have become used to seeing in action! you really got your mojo going! houston, great run, and oh, by the way, great hands!! shaun hill, I see you lost that spare tire for this season, you played really solid from the get-go, so you’re the go-to man! matt was just brilliant this week, made up for the last two and then some. that other run was great, too, and nobody had nothin’ on us this week! Felt a little sorry for the outmatched other team and the basically talented rookie qb who just couldn’t keep up with Detroit. Seven sacks! No penalties the whole first quarter, which really does make the difference! see? what’d I tell you? wow! keep it up! I know I didn’t name the other genius runner who ran for 100 yards, I have temporary amnesia, but you know who you are! forgive me! bet you will have no trouble for the rest of the season selling out every home game!

3. By wendymaddy on Oct 30, 2011 | Reply

this whole team played so very well together and everybody was a star!

4. By Jonesy on Oct 30, 2011 | Reply

Stafford is back on his game. Defense shines. Great win!!!

5. By Josh on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Maybe this game will quiet the lion fans that were calling to start shaun hill. I hope I never read another post that makes that pathetic comment. Hill is a good backup but we know what he can do. Matt is still young and learning and playing pretty great in doing so. He will only get better as he builds the chemistry with his guys. Mo Morris is the man. He just needs to be the feature back even if best comes back. Clearly he can run the ball perfect for this offense. Go lions!!!

6. By Ray on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Lions have not lost on the road in almost a year…21 Nov 2010!

GO LIONS!

7. By Joe Mott on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

For all the Lion fans out there! First I’m a long time Lions Fan, that has cheered for the Lions through thin and thin. I’m 50 years old and have seen every possible way the Lions could loose. First, Schwarts has done a great job up to this point. I would give him one word of advice, get your teams attitudes under control. If he doesn’t, that attitude will lose you big games. Costly penalties will come back to haunt them. Respect should be given to every opponent, no matter who they are. “Respect all, fear none”. I have been very disappointed with the lack of sportsmanship that has been displayed by our defensive line. I hope they realize they haven’t played a formidable opponent yet except for the 49ers and the Atlanta falcons. If my memory serves me right we lost both of those games and looked terrible in both games. It is easy to win and be look great at quarterback when your playing opponents that are not as good as you. Do it with great plays and leave the antics at home.

8. By Don on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Great Game!
    I Love when this team does’nt worry about what the other team Might do to us and just concentrates on what we can do to them.
    Great Defensive game also everyone on the “D” was playin the game the way that they can. Very happy to see Cliff get one of his own take away’s and get to take it to the endzone.
    And Chris Houston,Wow! Great interception, and it was great to see you turn on the burners and take it to the house, or endzone!
    It was a great effort all the way around with the offence clicking and everything going the way it should.
    And it was great to see Stafford get backinto his rythem and hitting his men in stride again.
    Get some rest and let’s go kick some behind in Chicago!
    GO LIONS!

9. By Kurt on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Epic. We fed a christian to the LIONS.

10. By dennis on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Hey Joe Mott: Trust me, you haven’t “seen every possible way the Lions could lose.” I’m 59 and have a few more years of being a Lions fan than you.

11. By john on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

i have been a lions fan since i was atleast 6 yrs old… i have never gave up on them…. from schwarz on down to the waterboys…..CONGREATS ON A FINE YEAR it is only half over but you guys really make us fans soooooo proud….jahvid get well soon.i live in colorado springs and the game u all ,played against the broncos made my day keep it up dont get to proud and 000000i believe myou will be goin to the playoffs ROCK AND ROLL LIONS

12. By 42+yrfan on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

seen alot of bad times watching the lions and never once gave up on them. even when they were having somewhat of a good yr. but i have never saw more intensity
    or determination from a lions team then the lions of 2011. keep doing what your doing players and coaches, you make these fans proud to be your fans!

13. By Detroit Lions Junkie on May 18, 2012 | Reply

Best game of last yeasr besides the San Diego game!