Posted by Tara Altman on November 22, 2011 – 4:06 pm

“The game was obviously a slow start, we don’t want to start out that way; but, we’ll take the way it ended with the win and the way that we battled back throughout the second, third and fourth quarter.

“I felt like the Chicago and Carolina game were very similar in the aspect that we didn’t allow the big plays that happened against us affect us because we combatted them. That’s what you have to do in this league. You have to combat big plays because of the type of athletes and the type of players that are in the NFL. You have to be able to limit them, but if they do happen, combat them and make them your own.

“The Packers offense in the running game is very simple. They run a lot of stretch, lead opens, some pretty basic plays. The one way that they get you within that simplistic running game is through a ton of different formations and different ways that they get to the same play, which throws people off. If you’re not gap sound and if you can’t recognize those things, then it becomes a problem for you.

“On top of that, their passing game, they have a great passing attack. They have six solid receivers on their team, especially with a rookie coming in. It’s something that their quarterback is definitely a big part of. Just like Peyton Manning is to Indianapolis, Aaron Rodgers is to Green Bay.

“Playing football on or near Thanksgiving has always been a big thing for me, especially since I got to college. We played the day after Thanksgiving at Nebraska, we were always a lucky team to be a part of that. That was always a fun game and now I’m lucky enough to be part of a great organization, a great team in the NFL that plays on Thanksgiving, and on top of that, we’re the first game of the day. It’s good to be around that tradition. I’m looking forward to, starting this year, ending the bad record that we have had the past 10 years (on Thanksgiving).

“I have a good amount of family and friends coming in, it will definitely be a full house; but it’s always good to have family and friends in. I’ll be eating my mom’s lovely, lovely food, relaxing and watching some other games. There are two other games after us, so I’ll watch that second game and other than that, just hang out. I’m very glad that we’re the first game, so I’m looking forward to taking care of business and having a happy weekend.”

Tags: ,
Posted in Ndamukong Suh Blog | 22 Comments »

22 Responses to “Suh: “If you’re not gap sound and if you can’t recognize those things, then it becomes a problem for you.””

1. By Richard Heyman on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

If you guys can get after Rogers like last year, you can force them to try to beat you with the run. I noticed that the run support out of the CBs and Safeties has dropped off since the first 6 games, is there a reason for that?
    You said GB has 6 solid receivers, but so do you guys with CJ, Burelson, Young, Sheffler, Pettigrew, Stoval. Matt should always have an open receiverto go to. It was GREAT seeing Kevin Smith back and running like he always should have been. It’s a second chance, and I hope for him and the Lions he can keep it up!

2. By C W Hutchins on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

I need you guys to win. My youngest son is a Packer fan. I have no idea how that happened but, it did. He is getting ready to ship off to the United States Air Force and I would love to send him off with a loss. We also have $10 a point bet on the game. So keep the Pack from scoring. Have a great game and a great time with your family. Happy Thanksgiving

3. By Bryan Heisler on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

I have a question that i have been wondering. Last year suh had ten sacks and his sack numbers are down this year. I think i know why. It is actually a simple answer which is they arent doing the same defensive of scheme with suh. Last year they would have suh stand up and move around forcing the defensive to not know where suh will go. Therefore he got a lot more one on one matchups so why dont they go back to that?

4. By Randy DeHate on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

GO LIONS!!!!!! seen last championship game 57 yrs. ago. Want to see another one before i go. GO LIONS!!!!!!

5. By Starkicker on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

NS,
    WTF are you doing out there? You stomped a guy’s arm plain and simple. You cost us a TD at a critical time. You’re turning into Albert *&^$%#@ Haynesworth. Smarten up. It doesn’t matter how good you are. If you act like an ass you’ll be done. This is the NFL, man. We need you to be smart if you want to help this team. Now we’re 7-4 and on the outside looking in for the playoffs. We’re unravelling. Instead of stompin’ dudes. be a leader. C’MON.

6. By Bobby on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

Suh,

I thought you were a dirty player before this game. Now I know you are not only a dirty player but also a person that will not admit when he is wrong nor take responsibility for his actions. The made up excuse of “Trying to keep your balance” is weak. You had the chance to be known as one of the great football players in the NFL. Instead you are on track to become a bum. I hope you realize this and look in the mirror to better yourself. Time will tell.

7. By HuskerDtackle on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

Ndomakong, hang in there, you are going to have a lot of people talking about you, and it will be rough. Play tough, keep your head. Don’t let the opposing offense get to you. Your a better player than that, keep your cool, play smart.

8. By Jojo on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

You need to stop making excuses…It is shown plain as day what you did…Just admit it…But i do have to THANK YOU cuz you gave us the game!!! And you thought we would lose…lol…A bigger man would tell the truth…

9. By TJLindemann on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

I am a huge fan of the Lions and Suh, but honestly he looks more concerned about his personal brand than being a good teammate. Quit pointing to the name on the back of the jersey, and how about celebrating with your teammates for once??? He doesn’t inspire teammates to play better; that’s for high character professionals like KVB. CONGRATS on the 10 sacks as a rookie, but I wonder if he’ll ever play that well again. As much as he’s trying to look and sound smart, his immaturity is becoming very evident. I hope this ejection is what he needs, and I wouldn’t mind him having to sit out another game. I can’t believe his post game comments, shoinwg NO humility. I’d like to hear if anyone on this earth can believe his explanation on that DIRTY play. Almost as good as “I was going for the ball” while he’s trying to break necks. No, you aren’t being targetted for your “superhuman strength”, it’s about your disrespect for the other 21 players on the field. 2 cents from a life long Lions fan.

10. By Jim on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

You’re a dirty player Suh ! & your clever words wont help. All saw it. Former NFL players saw it ! None agree with you !

11. By Dave on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

dont change a thing Suh!! be mean ..win.. do what it take. be an army of one if needed .. Love those lions

12. By martha on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

Suh;
    just be smart and dont loss your temper, you are so good and brave but you need to be inteligent too so, just play and enjoy every game and I LOVE YOU go LIONS!!!!!

13. By bubu66 on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

we have a good backup qb why not use him

14. By ShawnCicero on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

NS,

Start by playing the game as the legends have, be who you are and not unleash animal instincts for a win while ruining who you are, stop hurting your team, and most of all ask yourself what the score would have been on Thanksgiving if you stayed in. If you do any of this you will be great when you realize who you are.

15. By ShawnCicero on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

Your the face of the franchise, give it a smile. Help this franchise get back to the top without overcasting all the talent on the team. When you make these headlines you take away from the team and what they did. Everyone and their mother rooted for the Lions on thanksgiving, now they root against.

16. By ShawnCicero on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

If my comments are removed then dont blog. Im showing respect and asking for it. I just gave Calvin the best props, I just can’t the Suh? Not after teaching my daughter all about football and how its played on the biggest family day of the year while Suh stomps and lies. This one you can delete, this is to you from me.

17. By Dave on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

Rex Ryan stated he should be released and than he could play for them… if the fans dont watch it… he just might.. they teach this young man to seek out and destroy he does it!! I bet he get one hellava bonus for his playing style.. hey the football players dont mind get million dollar pay checks!!! we as fans pay out of the butt to see a game.. whats next NFL flag football!! GO SUH!!!!!!!!!! play hard young man play hard ….I love watching you .. Have pride in who you are have pride in who you play for.. We have Lions pride in you!!!!

18. By bubu66 on Nov 26, 2011 | Reply

suh was born to late he is like dick butkis and all the rest of the tough players

19. By Andrea L. Molinari on Nov 26, 2011 | Reply

Dear Mr. Suh,

You are young and you play a game that is very physical and very intense. You are a great player and I for one am very glad that you are on the Lions.

Obviously, you made a mistake and lost control (to some extent). Learn from it. That is life. We make mistakes. We learn. We move on and try not to repeat them.

As far as I can see, you are an extremely talented player. The guy who was blocking you is not. More often than not your opponents will not be as talented as you. Therefore they will have to double-team and when that doesn’t work (let’s face it)… they will cheat in order to stop you. The only way mediocrity can neutralize talent IS to cheat. Welcome to life, kid. I am sure that you have seen it your entire career. You have to expect it and deal with it as best as you can.

Stay strong through all of this. Please know that you still have many fans who want you to succeed. In all of this, just don’t think that everyone is against you. That is NOT the case at all.

20. By no.1husker-fan on Nov 27, 2011 | Reply

Suh,

You’ve risen above adversity in the past, and you can do it again. You’re a tremendous football player, learn from this what you can and make yourself better; then opposing teams really won’t know what to do with you. Be the beast!

21. By C W Hutchins on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

You make me sick. Blessed with football talent and given money beyond many peoples dreams. It’s not only you but the whole damn team. Coaches and head office. It’s obvious no one has told you you are not the boss. I got rid of every damn piece of Lions crap I had in my closet. Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein

That has been me and thousands of others. Backing the Lions year after year after year. Not anymore. My insanity has been cured. Thanks Suh now go enjoy your money I am sure in your mind you feel you have earned every dollar of it.

22. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 3, 2012 | Reply

Suh is a technician in those trenches, we’ve only seen the tip of the iceberg!