Troy Aikman loves Stafford’s gloves

Posted by ttwentyman on November 22, 2011 – 4:33 pm

Hall-of-Fame quarterback Troy Aikman couldn’t resist the chance to put on a pair of Matthew Stafford’s now-famed throwing gloves and toss a few footballs around the Lions practice facility Tuesday.

Aikman was at the team facility in Allen Park preparing for Thursday’s FOX broadcast of the Lions game as part of the network’s broadcast team.

After practice, Aikman put on a pair of Stafford’s gloves and tossed the ball around, saying afterward that he was extremely impressed by them.

“I struggled with a wet ball when I was playing,” Aikman said. “I couldn’t throw the football when it rained. I’d put a glove on my hand at practice to see if I could throw with a glove on my hand when it rained. I never could.

“But gloves have changed so much over the last 10 years. The glove I tried today was the glove Matt’s throwing with, I just wanted to see how it felt, and it felt good. Shoot, I’d probably wear one every game if I was playing now.”

20 Responses to “Troy Aikman loves Stafford’s gloves”

1. By gordon on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

the glove that stafford is wearing actually is vanderbosches gloves, because they do not make that type anymore……….was mentioned in the game vs. panthers

2. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

If that glove is ok with Troy it’s ok with me. I was upset about it but I guess I was wrong. Guess the coach and players know more than we fans. Hmmmm. Go figure.

3. By jordan on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

yeah i don’t know 5 td’s? the man just gotta get a little exp that’s all hes got it there is a reason he was the number1 pick!

4. By Starkicker on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

I’m a little conflicted about that. I was hoping the glove was responsible for the four picks, including two pick-sixes. I guess it was Stafford’s fault after all. Glove or no glove, great chance Thursday to knock the stuffing out of the Pack. A good start will definitely help. Go Lions!

5. By Sonny on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

The pick was probably due to the fact that he hurt his index finger. Most of the picks seem like the ball was missing something. The gloves were not the problem, as much as the injury. Just my opinion.

6. By jswendner on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

If the entire team shows up Thursday, we have a chance, a good one. If they get down early [more than 7] there toast!!
    Wish I could be at the game, those who are HELP THEM OUT!! Makes a hugh difference, and packer news said they like to play in our dome.. Well it is Detroits home let’s treat it as so…. Offense PLEASE, ball protection and control…Defense let,s bust em up [leaglly] no stupid penalties. Big day for all GOOD LUCK AND GOOO LIONS!!!

7. By lionsden on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Lets not get any penalties(smart football)lets hold on and protect the ball, and above all stomp the living $%!& out of the pack! do this and you win:)

8. By Jim on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

If people look at stats Stafford is going to be a great quarterback. Who is headed to the Hall of Fame for his touchdown throws, but has the record for most interceptions? Brett Favre. If Kevin Smith gets running against the Pack and Stafford controls how many picks versus touchdowns the Lions should be able to hand Green Bay their first loss of 2011!

9. By JT on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Stafford could play with a beer in both hands and throw for 300 yds

10. By eric on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

When he threw all those picks everybodys like its those damn gloves..5 td passes! they may never come off now…lol,,If they come 2 play they should get this one..

11. By lion4lf on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

I would rather he get comfortable with the glove now. It is going to be cold in Green Bay on January 1st. If all three phases of our game show up, we win!!

12. By Ring Leader on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Yeah those gloves are meant to be really good. I’ve heard from a source close to the Bears that Cutlers thumb wasn’t as bad as is being reported and it was suggested he play the rest of the season wearing the same sort of glove that Stafford has been using.

Cutler tried a pair out and was happy to forgo the operation until he found out the gloves didn’t come in orange.

13. By James on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

STTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDD!

14. By Ryan on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

The gloves Stafford used in the Bears game were different than the Carolina game. The ones used in the Bears game were somewhat tacky, and could lead to balls coming off the hand inaccurately. The gloves he used in the Carolina game have a leather hand and are smooth.

15. By Amando on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

I am a Detroiter living in Green Bay.Let’s win so I do not have to go to work dressed like a piece of cheese!!!

16. By Daniel McIntosh on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

I could see Stafford using this glove for the rest of his career. Just look at Kurt Warner’s career after he started using gloves. He upstarted his career in Arizona after everyone thought he lost it.

17. By chris kaminskii on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

go lions i dont care what they say stafford can play he is young and we have a big future if we keep all our players and add some offence linemen to protect or qb and block for whoevere runs but nice to see kevin smith back out there i knew he had some stuff but injurys set him back if he stays health and best comes back from his concussion should be a hell of a show A LIONS THROW BOMBS ON PAC AND MAKE THEM SMELL THE THE CHEESE THEY ARE WIN WIN WIN GO LIONS

18. By king LP on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

I’M GLAD WE TALKING ABOUT GLOVES THE PACK GOING DOWN TODAY!

19. By Mike G. on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

Starkicker: I never thought the glove or the finger had anything to do with the INT’s in Chicago or in the Panthers game. I thought the wind played a role in the Chicago game but I also thought that he made poor decision in that game as well as in the Panthers game. He’ll be fine and he’ll be ON FIRE today!

20. By Starkicker on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

Mike G.,
    The wind played a role for sure, you’re right. I think the game plan to throw 61 times in a swirling wind wasn’t a great approach, especially when Kevin Smith was fresh and ready to rock. I am amped for today’s game. Go Lions! Confuse Rodgers with different looks on defence, jam their receivers at the line and keep Mathews away from Stafford and we’ll give the Pack its first loss of 2011!