Lions say Ndamukong Suh’s actions were “unacceptable”.

Posted by ttwentyman on November 25, 2011 – 9:01 pm

The Lions have released a statement calling the actions that led to defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh‘s ejection from Thursday’s Thanksgiving Day game “unacceptable”.

Suh was flagged and ejected in the third quarter of the Lions’ 27-15 loss to the Packers after repeatedly slamming the head of Packers center Evan Dietrich-Smith to the turf and then stomping on his arm after the two were tangled up on a third-down play.

“The on-field conduct exhibited by Ndamukong Suh that led to his ejection from yesterday’s game was unacceptable and failed to meet the level of sportsmanship we expect from our players,” the statement read.

“Ndamukong has made many positive contributions to the Lions on and off the field. We expect his behavior going forward to consistently reflect that high standard of professionalism.

“We have been in contact with Commissioner Goodell’s office and were advised that, like any on-field matter, Thursday’s incident is subject to review by the league office and that subsequent discipline would be determined by the league office.”

Suh is looking at a hefty fine and a possible suspension by the league for the incident.

The Lions expect to have a decision from the league by Tuesday of next week at the latest.

49 Responses to “Lions say Ndamukong Suh’s actions were “unacceptable”.”

1. By Zingali on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

He’s too good of a player to take the low road. He’s much better than that. It’s refreshing to see Lions management taking the high road and setting a higher standard for their players.

2. By Nost on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

When the League suspends Brian Robeson for kicking the other Packer Guard in the groin on purpose …they can suspend Suh…Otherwise its an internal issue

3. By Jeff Flint on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

The only thing worse than being dirty, is lying about it, or trying to cover it up. WAY TO GO LIONS, w/ hitting this classless act head on!

4. By Carolyn Seaver on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

If you watch the post-game show, Howie Long said, “I was with him until he stomped on him.” That says a lot about the how the players really do play on the field that isn’t always capture on camera. Or it is captured on camera, but not shown the the general public. Detroit has a “bad boy” image, so the NFL will probably decide to make an example out of Suh. If it had been someone from a beloved team like the Cowboys or the Colts, there would only be a fine.

I believe Suh should be fined for the stomp, but not suspended for the rest of the year. That would be hypocritical of the NFL.

Carolyn Seaver

5. By brun on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

loose cannon…can’t count on guys like this…can’t win with ‘em

6. By joe pinto on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

what a disgrace. dirty player who should be banned from football. makes himself look like an idiot when he denies it.

7. By Gord Hillman on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

That’s what i love about the Lions. Way to have his back. Whether or not his actions were appropriate at the time or no, Suh has been targeted by officials since his arrival and the Lions have done nothing to defend him. I can’t think of one personal foul in his first year that was justified. The hair pulling incident is legal. The pushing down of a quarterback who was running up field is legal. This year proved to be more of the same. It was only matter of time before he lost his temper. Suh is not dirty. He plays hard. If Suh is dirty I can think of about 40 players in the hall of Fame you better remove because they played harder then Suh. Names like Butkus, Nitschke,and Lambert to name a few. The exaggerations of his actions don’t help him either. Stomping? Slamming? What game were you watching? Wow The National Flag League should be proud of how they have destroyed the game and players like Suh. It’s a man’s game. Let them play.

8. By Jesse on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

Suh thinks he’s bigger than this team and even this league, and that stinks. Even leading up to this season, flags about his ego were going up…the media hype, the self-quotes about being the fastest, strongest athlete to ever enter the league. Sheesh. He’s gone from being a great pick to a distraction to a problem in 18 months. Schwartz better get his house in order and Suh better get over himself.

9. By Tom Zavitz on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

Talk about a total lack of leadership by a marquee player. Not only did Suh get ejected, but literally gave the best team in football 4 more downs to score a touchdown in a critical game after Detroit had held them to a possible field goal. I was on board with this team for most of my life, and I’m soon to be 55 years old. I don’t know if I can take much more of the facade that we are putting a winner in place. This is the most classless act I’ve seen in a long time. Started with Schwartz and his antics, now Suh. Where’s the leadership on this team?

10. By Alex Myren on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

If a hitting someone on the head during a play is illeagle. How do you defend a player who hits someone on the head after the play. It was all dirty

11. By Luke Muir on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

Suh has been fined over and over and hasn’t learned anything from it so I believe they have to suspend him for at least a game to see if that will wake him up. I know that he was taught better than that at the University of Nebraska!!! Get it together.

12. By Joe Manley on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

I may be alone on this. I don’t see anything wrong with what Suh did! It was nasty and I liked it because it was entertaining. I saw the center pull him down to the turf and Suh retaliated. The NFL has become a sissy league. They protect the offense and penalize the defense. So players last longer? If they aren’t tough enough, give them a clip board. Watching many games I see blown calls by the refs, and so does the commentators for the games. I can see why defensive players get angry. It seems like even though all games start at 0-0, the defense starts all games going up hill. Howie Long has no room to talk, he played for the Raiders, enough said.

13. By jordan on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

it can’t stand all of these supposed lions fans not having suh’s back i got your back brotha you are not a dirty player quit watching our team if you think so you people are retarded

14. By Barry Decker on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

The actions of Suh are one thing, but then to try to explain it away or justify it shows me he’s a class A idiot. Hefty fine and long suspension is needed here because of his refusal to accept responsibility and apologize. Apologizinf to his team for getting ejected does not cut it. He committed an assault. Suh is an asshole. I applaud the Lions for stating his actions were unacceptable.

15. By Debbie Feddersen on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

Suh was being held done. I was at the game and did not have the opportunity to see the play until I got home. refs should be fined at the end of the game when they miss calls. No wonder Suh is being labled the “Bad Boy” of football. He is young he will learn to cool down. However, when the Lions have to play against the refs and their opponents they have 1/2 the chance to win. Penalty because a helmet comes off. FINE!!!! How about when Jones received a helmet to helment (appeared to be a purpose to me.) And Clavin’s Helmet was handed back to him by a Ref. No penalty on that play either. There was also a horse collar. It makes me sick to see men get paid to miss these calls. Come on Refs get your eyes checked. We were dominating the game until the Refs and Stafford through it away. I am tired of passinate players getting the “blame” … Michael Rosenberg should not have said Suh is guilty of acting like an idiot in Lions’Thanksgiving melt down. He should have said the REFS provoked this kind of reaction. Do we have a camera shout of the offensive player????? It appeard that he was holding Suh down. i am sick of the one sided calling. Come on commissioner and league take a look at the refs and call them on the carpet for it. If t were more equal calls I am SURE Suh would not have lost it as easily. I love my Lions… Suh and Kyle are my favorite defensive players. Stafford please throw the ball more than 4 yards you are a better player than the past 2 games. Love you boys!!!!

16. By Best on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

You can somewhat excuse Suh’s action on the field as a moment of frustration, but it was rather pathetic for him to have time to reflect back and still lied about it post game. Anyone who doesn’t look down on Suh for that is rather pathetic themselves.

17. By smdb on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

kid has a lot of learning and growing up to do. sit him for a few games and see if that doesn’t help.

18. By detroit on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

JOE MANLEY,GORD HILLMAN ONLY TWO ON THIS BLOG THAT GET IT. I GUESS THE ONLY TWO THAT ACTUALLY PLAYED THE GAME WHOM COMMENTED ON THIS BLOG.I AGREE SUH IS NOT DIRTY, HE IS FRUSTRATED,I’VE WATCHED FILM FROM EVERY GAME SINCE ABOUT GAME 10 OF LAST YEAR. SUH IS TIRED OF BEING HELD AND THE ANTICTS OF OFFENSIVE LINEMAN AND NO FLAGS BEING THROWN. WHY DOES SUH NOT HAVE THE STATS OF LAST YEAR. OH YEAH SOME GENIUS THINKS ITS BECUASE HE IS LAZY. ALL I CAN SAY IS COME-ON MAN. THIS GUY HAS A MOTOR LIKE NO OTHER. IF YOU SO CALLED FANS HAD WATCHED THE ENTIRE PLAY AND NOT JUST WHAT THE MEDIA WANTS YOU TO SEE YOU WOULD HAVE SEEN THE SAME THING THAT HAS BEEN GOING ON ALL YEAR. DOUBLE TEAM TRYING TO GET HIM TO THE GROUND. AND WHEN SUCCESSFUL HOLDING HIM THERE TO TAKE HIM OUT OF THE PLAY. ATFER 10 WEEKS SUH HAS HAD ENOUGH AND FRANKLY SO HAVE I. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD JUDGE WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT AND REMEMBER THIS GUY IS ONLY A PUP YET. THESE VETRANS ARE PUTTING ALL THE TRICKS AT HIM. YES HE NEEDED TO HOLD HIS COMPUSORE. BUT GUYS THIS IS A MANS GAME. THE NFL NEEDS TO LET GUYS PLAY. IS JAMES HARRISON DIRTY NO. IS RAY LEWIS DIRTY NO, IS TERRELL SUGGS DIRTY NO. IS PATRIC WILLIS DIRTY NO. THEY ALL PLAY HARD JUST LIKE SUH. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE HOW ANY OF THEM WOULD REACT TO THE CRAP THAT SUH HAS BEEN TROUGH ALL YEAR. YEH I COACH SO I DONT FOLLOW THE BALL DURING A PLAY I WATCH THE GUYS ON THE LINE AND THE BACKERS. LOOK THEY WILL SHOW YOU THE BALL RUNNER OVER AND OVER AGAIN ON REPLAY. IF YOU HAD BEEN WATCHING WHAT HAS BEEN GOING ON IN THE TRENCHES ALL YEAR YOU’D BE PISSED TO.

I FOR ONE AM NOT HAPPY WITH ALL THESE NEW RULES,FLAGS,LOCKOUT,ETC. WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR BLACK AND BLUE DIVISION? WHERE HAS THE REAL NFL GONE. I PLAYED FOR MANY YEARS AND HAVE COACHED FOR EVEN MORE. THIS IS BULL CRAP.THIS IS NOT THE TREE HUGGIN, WHALE SAVING, PUT ON A SKIRT LEAGUE. THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE NFL. I REMEMBER THE DAYS WHEN GUYS GOT THE FINGERS BROKEN AT THE BOTTOM OF A SCRUM.WHEN A HIT WAS A HIT. LOOK EVERY GUY KNOWS WHATS AT STAKE WHEN YOU STRAP ON A HELMENT.

FOR RODNEY HARRISON TO COMMENT ON THIS MAKES ME SICK. THIS GUY WAS A GOOD PLAYER AND MADE ALOT OF HITS ON GUYS THAT PLAYERS ARE NOW GETTING FINED FOR. HE HAS NO IDEA HOW THIS IS EFFECTING THE GAME AND MOST OF ALL THE PLAYERS.

NO SCHWARTZ HAS CONTROL OF HIS TEAM, OR DID YOU NOT SEE HIM GET IN SUH’S CRAP WHEN HE CAME OFF THE SIDELINE. YOU HAVE TO PLAY ON THE EDGE AT THIS LEVEL. I WONT SAY LEAGUE CAUSE ITS TURNING INTO PANZY FEAST. WHERE ARE THE REAL MEN. THE GLADIATORS.

WE ARE DETROIT ACT LIKE IT AND BACK YOUR TEAM. I WANT TO FEARED FROM OUR OPPENENTS. HOWEVER DO NOT WANT TO TARGETED BY THE REF’S. THE REF STANDING RIGHT THERE OVER SUH SHOULD HAVE THROWN A FLAG ON THE CENTER FOR HOLDING SUH FOR LIKE ALMOST A MINUTE. I GUESS I’M THE ONLY ONE WHO SAW THAT. BUT IN THE NAME OF BEING POLICITLY CORRECT. I WILL SHUT UO NOW. GO LIONS PLAY AGGRESSIVE AND TAKE THE FIELD LIKE WARRIORS.

THIS IS THE TRUE VOICE OF DETROIT OVER AND OUT

19. By Ryan on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

I could see how it looked like a stomp but suh was starting to walk away, he didn’t look at the man’s arm as he stomped down, he clearly looked frustrated but his intent I think is arguable. If you disagree, fine, but this is the first time suh has done anything that could be considered dirty. Apart from this “stomp” suh has been playing REAL football. Fine him if you want NFL, no suspension. If you disagree with that you’re either not a lions fan or you’re part of the audience who wants to watch flag football instead. Put on some man pants.

20. By christine on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

Suh is out of control’ I’m from Nebraska an never saw him play like that from what I could tell. Suh needs counseling of some kind a slap on the wrist with a fine won’t be enough. I believe he needs to be suspended for the rest of the year. He is a remarkable player an needs to get his act together or his career will go down the tubes.

21. By Best on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

Gladiators? warriors? please…these guys are playing a sport for millions of dollars. No sir the real warriors are soldiers oversea who put their life on the line everyday, and for what? For people like Suh and his defenders to disgrace themselves? Grow up and show your support to those who deserve it! Warriors? Warriors don’t lie about their action. Cowards do.

22. By Sean Gilbert on Nov 26, 2011 | Reply

If the Lions truly believed this they would proactively suspend him, not wait for the league to take action.

23. By brian on Nov 26, 2011 | Reply

I don’t like what Suh did one bit, and as much as I don’t want to see the Lions play w/o him he’s gotta get a good punishment to learn from it and move on. If any Detroit Lions fan says get rid of him you’re a dumb ass. When the Lions drafted Suh the lions D was horrible!! Suh has one of a kind talent and the past few drafts have been great. The lions are only going to keep getting better and better. When Vanden Bosch, Hanson retire I believe Suh should be a team captain. I still love the guy on are team and I’m a true fan

24. By redwingliger on Nov 26, 2011 | Reply

Joe Pinto I have never heard anything as absurd as your statement about “he should be banned for life” apparently you’ve never watched football before. There have been many assaults on the football field that were much worse than what Ndamukong Suh did and no one has been “banned for life” as far as I know. Hayworth stomped on on a player’s head (after his helmet came off and he was laying on the ground) a few years ago, which resulted in a laceration that required 30 stitches to close, and he got a five-game suspension for that one. So you are either a stupid fool whom is a fan of some other team, or your just plain ignorant and out of touch with the mentality of professional athletes today. I have been apologizing for Ndamukong since the incident took place yesterday at Ford Field because what he did was absolutely wrong, and there is no place in professional sports for that behavior hands-down. If I were the head coach I would bench Ndamukong for one or two games after he serves his suspension as a statement and an example of what I expect from my athletes. I wouldn’t care what anyone thought about my decision, or what ramifications it may cause his teammates, or the teams success for the season. I know most people probably won’t agree with me, but I assure you that sending that message to the player, and the team will nip those actions in the bud quicker than any fine the NFL hands-down to the player. The other message that sends to the rest of the teammates is that no individual player is above the team rules that everyone else is expected to follow, no matter how much of a superstar any one individual player may be.

25. By redwingliger on Nov 26, 2011 | Reply

That’s great Detroit Lions organization, but I think it’s too little and too late. This should have been done a couple of years ago before it ever got to this point so your intentions are to be commended but your timing remains this gravely suspect. Apparently the Detroit Lions organization need some sort of overall quality control personnel whom can not only police the players, but police the entire coaching staff as well. I liked what coach Schwartz did when he first got here (assigning parking spaces to the moron players who apparently were oblivious as to what these lines in the parking lot were used for) because I thought he was going to discipline this team, which is something that’s needed for decades. Evidently coach Schwartz is guilty by association when it comes to backing off on demanding a certain level of professionalism from his players, because the Lions are resorting back to the heavily penalized Lions of a few years ago. I have a 51 inch plasma television that the picture turns yellow on whenever the Lions are on the field… (yes I am exaggerating but I’m tired of seeing so many penalties week in and week out… and you claim you have no consistency). I would like to see players being benched for drawing unnecessary penalties that are direct results from undisciplined, (but professional) players who put their anger or hurt feelings above what’s good for the team.

26. By Zingali on Nov 26, 2011 | Reply

Suh is a great player and knows he crossed the line. He’s still new to the league and has a lot to learn about every aspect of it. The Lions have sent him a clear message and only he can show that he’s “getting it.” Actions speak louder than words and by this time next year, we will have all forgotten about it (ie. Ray Lewis)

27. By LionManeac on Nov 26, 2011 | Reply

Whatever the reasoning behind Suh’s actions it’s done and he’s been judged by just about everyone. The punishment, if any, he and the team will have to accept.

He obviously is a great player, both last season for the Lions and at Nebraska and he needs to reflect on his behaviour this season and get back to playing in the manner that got him drafted and all the accolades last season.

He’s obviously believed too much in his own success and lost focus on how to play and that’s as much his fault as the coaches. He has made a rod for his own back and he’s now learnt that getting attention can also make you a marked man with opponents and officials.

He’s got his work cut out now too get the support of many Lions fans and everyone else. Opponents will wind him up and officials scrutinise his every move and he’s only got himself to blame.

He needs some real quality performances and a stand out game or two before he even starts to put the record straight – but hey, isn’t that what he was drafted for.

Every sport has it’s bad boy, Suh needs to let someone else take the rap now and get back to being a great pro footballer for the rest of his NFL career.

Better this tough team than the softies of recent seasons but there is a limit. I’m right behind Suh if he performs to the standards of the team and to his full potential.

28. By Mark Thicksten on Nov 26, 2011 | Reply

Lets teach our kids good sportsmanship and for that to happen we need players that own up to their mistakes riight away and not have the coach or the organization or the league have to tell them that what they did was wrong. Just look at the video and anyone can clearly see that he lost control of his emotions. Is this really the messege we want to send our kids that look up to these players? Suh needs to not only be held responsible by the NFL league but also by the team. He gets paid to do what he does and if anyone else did what he did at their job they would be FIRED. What makes him or any other player above the law? I watched the Lions first 5 games and was excited for them and what they were doing. I no longer watch them and I have picked another team that acts more professional. Suh should get no less than a 5 game suspension and be fined at least $50,000 and just be happy he stills has a job. People that work real jobs in the real world would not get off that easy.

29. By Reynolds on Nov 26, 2011 | Reply

I have rooted for Detroit from a distance, not raised a lion fan, but Barry changed that. This team starting with Shwartz has turned a lot of fans off. You cant sugar coat the truth. This is a dirty team, classless. It starts with the head coach, get rid of him, and your rid of the classless antics destroying the Lions. Suh is cheap, dirty, and very! immature. Still hopin the Lions can put together a championship team that all fans can admire, not just the punks.

30. By Matt2Calvin on Nov 26, 2011 | Reply

You can’t defend Suh on this one – he went beyond what is reasonable by stomping on another human being. If he did that in the street, he would be in jail.

I believe this is a leadership problem more than anything else – failure by coach Swartz to be specific. The coach has defended aggressive play and pushed the envelope consistently. In fact, the coach himself set this example for his team. Anyone remember Swartz going after Harbaugh? That was also “unacceptable and failed to meet the level of sportsmanship we expect.”

Both Swartz and Suh are at fault – I hope WCF steps in to make sure this BS never happens again in Detroit.

31. By debv57 on Nov 26, 2011 | Reply

I am a long time Lions fan and I have to say that I am very disappointed in the actions of Suh!! Not only did he stomp on the GB player he lied about doing it!! We have a bad enough reputation here in Detroit, we certainly don’t need it to get any worse!! Man up and admit what you did was wrong and apologize, not that it will do much good now, but that is what you should of done in the first place!! I love to watch Suh and the Lions play, but not like this!!! I hope in the future he thinks before he reacts!!! Good luck Suh!!

32. By Gary on Nov 26, 2011 | Reply

I can understand the frustration element affecting Suh in that situation – it looked like he got totally taken out on that play in a very humiliating way. It must have been a seriously bashed ego that just reacted in whatever retaliatory way it could – no thought involved, just the urge to cause humiliation in return. He was lucky in that blind moment of rage that he didn’t inflict any serious physical harm. The worst part, then, was that ridiculous explanation afterwards, trying to deflect the tirade of opinion towards him as being a dirty player… sub-human, even. That was such an idiotic attempt to fabricate a re-interpretation of what everyone could plainly see was an intentional and indefensible act of stupidity and immaturity that he likely alienated, even more, anyone who might have given him a chance for leniency in judgement. His apology to teammates and his “true fans” was for allowing himself to get in a situation that allowed him to get misinterpreted and ejected as a result, not for his repulsive actions. What an insult to their intelligence! The play is on video, Ndummy! …How moronic are you to propose that even “The Man Upstairs” is that blind!?! …The only conclusion you can draw is that Suh himself is the one who is ultra-blind…to the degree of being a little psychotic, probably…and that’s probably his best defense…Whatever suspension he’s given should include mandatory psychiatric evaluation, and that should determine the length of the suspension. It actually might work out best for him, if there’s any serious consideration being given to suspending him for the rest of the season. At least, with his latest apology, it seems like maybe he’s beginning to realize his own sickness, owning up to his own BS – although I haven’t really read explicit details of the re-apology declaring 100% admission of wrongdoing, which would indicate a “breakthrough” on his part; I’m assuming, though, that that was what it was all about. If so, then the whole incident could be regarded as temporary insanity, which could be evaluated and addressed psychiatrically and maybe get Suh off with just 1 or 2 games suspended.

33. By steve on Nov 26, 2011 | Reply

Suh was dirty in college, knocking out Blaine Gabbert of Missouri by twisting and ripping his knee. I don’t know what colored glasses Luke Muir was looking through at Lincoln. This guy has to be suspended three games at least no matter how the Lions try to spin it.

34. By RK Miller on Nov 26, 2011 | Reply

Shu should get at least 3 games for his actions which were unacceptable.
    I also find it intresting that another player of Jim Swarts {Albert Haynesworth} had a habbit of using his feet to stomp on players. Is he overlooking what his players do? He himself lost a little self control a few weeks ago with Coach Harbaugh. Just thinking outloud.

35. By BANDIT on Nov 26, 2011 | Reply

There’s a few who get it,those who have played the game and coached it. The inconsistant ref calls are part to blame. I watched the Ravens- 49er’s game and on two of the nine sacks that the rsven’s got, on two of those personal fouls should have been called on suggs, but were missed, one a face mask the other he pulled him dowm by his helment. I miss the real NFL. It seems most people want there player’s to play hard but be nice while doing it. Welcome to the National Sissy League. ENJOY.

36. By Simms on Nov 26, 2011 | Reply

TRADE HIM!! HE WILL COST US MORE GAMES DOWN THE ROAD.. WE COULD GET A BLOCK BLUSTER TRADE FOR THE TOUGH GUY AFTER THE PLAY PLAYER TRADE HIM ,,,, TRADE HIM ,,,, TRADE HIM

37. By Simms on Nov 26, 2011 | Reply

LIONS D IS A JOKE! OVER RATED, OVER HYPED, SUH HASN’T DONE SHI! ALL YEAR EXCEPT HT PLAYERS AFTER THE WHISTLE, HELL, i CAN DO THAT!! WHAT A DISAPPOINTING LOSS, OF COURSE WHAT A DISAPPOINTING PLAYER… TRADE HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND GET STAFFORD AN EYE EXAM, HE CANT TELL WHO HE IS THROWING TOO, OR HE IS PAID TO LOSE GAMES!!

38. By Brandon on Nov 26, 2011 | Reply

Before I make my statement on the matter I want to say that yes I think it was stupid for Suh to do what he did and I think it hurts his teammates and fans more than anyone, not to mention it gave Green Bay and whole new set of downs in which they scored. He needs to stop his stupid after the play crap.

That being said it isn’t like retaliation hasn’t happened before in the NFL before. In fact if I recall a Green Bay player got ejected earlier in the game for a retaliation. I’m not saying that it is right, but I’m saying it does happen in the NFL. If he is suspended for a game(s), then they have to hold the same standard around the NFL for retaliations personal fouls and the Green Bay should miss some games too.

I’m glad to have Suh as a Detroit Lion. He aggressiveness during a play needs to stay where it is, but he has to be smarter after the play.

39. By TigsandLions on Nov 26, 2011 | Reply

Debbie. How can Suh be being held down when he was on top of the guy and the Packer lineman had one hand on the turf. Suh couldn’t get up because he was too busy grabbing his facemask and pounding his head into the ground. The guy snapped and I don’t think he knew what he did. But anyone condoning what he did is idiotic. Yeah, that may have been okay for Butkus, Lainier, and Nitschke to do in the 60′s, but that kind of behavior isn’t tolerated by the NFL. You may not like it, but all Suh did was hurt the team by being selfish and not being able to control himself. Hopefully a big fine and a few games off may get his head straight. He should be a great player for years to come, but if he keeps this up he won’t be around long.

40. By justiron on Nov 26, 2011 | Reply

a blind man can see the game hes playing.when he had a chance to explain he denied it and plainly thought we would be dumb enough to believe his words. Might has well called us all stupid.Sure after the heat is turned up for him and his team ,as he said REFLECT or what ever mind blowing revelation hes had since the past 24 hours after the incident.,he has seen the error of his ways.Hes just doing what he must and has been told to do by the lions and personal around him .His statements now mean nothing.FINE him and out for rest of season plus play off if lions make it.Once good people stop holding other peoples bad behavior accountable,the world becomes uglyier to live in

41. By Reality Check on Nov 26, 2011 | Reply

I am disappointed in the Lions organization for their weak response to this horrific incident. The behavior we saw emanates from the head coach’s lack of control and respect for the game. I would think the organization would have responded quicker and in a more responsible fashion, as this behavior is detrimental to the team, the league, and the city of Detroit. I guess this is to be expected out of an organization that let Matt Millen run it into the ground.

Suh’s so called apology did not take any responsibility. He says he can’t let refs, players, or fans “derail” him. Listen here Suh boy: Other people do not derail you and they are not responsible for your actions, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE for your actions. No one else made you do anything – you did this, so take some responsibility!

42. By detroit on Nov 26, 2011 | Reply

BEST, IN NO WAY WAS I TALKING ABOUT OUR MILITARY, I’M A STRONG SUPPORTER OF OUR MILITARY AND ALL THEY DO FOR OUR FREEDOM. I HAVE FAMILY IN THE WAR. THAT IS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT I’M SAYING. THIS LEAGUE IS GETTING SOFT, THAT WAS MY POINT. WHEN I PLAYED A GUY WOULD NOT HAVE GOTTEN EJECTED FOR ANY OF THAT, WHICH HAPPENDED. THE FIRST TWO FINESTHAT SUH RECEIVED,IN MY MIND ,WERE NOT EVEN A FLAGABLE PLAY, LET ALONE A FINE. HOW ABOUT BEN FOR PIT LAST YEAR GETTING PUNCHED IN THE NOSE TWICE BY TERREL SUGGS. YEAH, BROKE HIS NOSE AND NO FLAG ,FINE OR EJECTION. THESE REF’S NEED TO BE CONSISTENT THATS ALL I’M SAYING. WHY WAS’NT THE CENTER FLAGGED FOR HOLDING. ANY IDIOT COULD SEE THAT SUH WAS HELD DOWN. AT THE END HE POPPED UP. WHY, UH CAUSE THE GREENBAY PLAYER LET GO OF HIM.THIS IS A MANS SPORT AND SUH IS A MAN. FOR YOU PANZY ASS’S WATCH SOCCER OR GOLF. THIS SPORT MAY TOO ROUGH FOR YOU…

DETROIT, A MAN’S MAN IN SUPPORT OF MY BELOVED TEAM, THE BLACK AND BLUE LIONS.

43. By Bob on Nov 27, 2011 | Reply

Suh is not a warrior. Suh is a young immature individual who has limited control of his emotions. His abilities have high jacked his ego, emotions and understanding of the meaning of this game. His acts were unwarranted and unwanted. This should teach the rest of the league about the immaturity of these athletes as they come out of college. They may perform the fundamental skill sets of their position better than others, but that does not make them a leader. Suh is disconnected from himself. His beliefs and legitimate understanding of his real purpose are out of sync. He actually believes he inspires people because he plays football – really. It would benefit us all if he would take less ownership and apply his energy toward executing the fundamentals as the apply to the NFL rules. That would benefit us all – and yeah through in a smile and grimace periodically to act like a normal human. Perhaps think about what you are going to say before you say it. You did have two quarters and a shower to think about it. You college education should have informed you that you should have definitely waited 24 hours before you made any statement. Perhaps now you better understand yourself and your capacity.
    This game sells because it brings people together. Yes – that is the selling point. We do not come together to see things like what his greed and ego are facilitating. No amount of fines or suspension will reform Suh to get him to where he needs to be. What he needs is education and time to mature. He needs to learn the rules and self control. He needs life coaching. He needs to understand he is a second year in a business in which he knows very little and knows even less about himself. Suh you need to understand what is expected of you and do it or go. I hope the Lions sit him down and lay this out in detail so he gets it. Ask yourself – how are your stimulants effecting your mental control? Good luck in your recovery.

44. By Lunn64 on Nov 27, 2011 | Reply

Were Suh’s actions “unacceptable”? Of course. It was terrible timing and contributed to the outcome of the game. That being said, let’s not forget that despite his ability and size, he is a kid. He’s learning what it is to be a pro. I hope this is a valuable lesson for him. The worst part of this was listening to Suh in the press conference saying that he was just trying to balance himself. Suh, you are clearly lying. Accept responsibility for what you did and learn from it. That’s what pros do.

45. By tony kayden on Nov 27, 2011 | Reply

I’m glad the Lions stepped up and put the blame where the blame should be. I know Suh is a young player who gets excited and plays at full throttle. But he’s got to keep his frustration in check. Too many off his personal fouls in the last three games have hurt the Lions considerably.

On another note, I don’t understand what’s happening with Matthew Stafford. If his finger on his throwing hand isn’t bothering him, why hasn’t he thrown long to Calvin or Titus in the last three games. All those little screens and dump offs are good strategy, but someone has to be open downfield if the Lions are going to the playoffs. In turn, how could so many Packer receivers get open like they did…and where was our vaunted d-line rush. I thought we would’ve pressured Rodgers a lot more. I know Delmas and Houston got hurt early in the game, but it was as if everyone in the secondary was confused. Twice McDonald had his back to the receivers who made easy catches. We need a better scheme going into our next five games. Morris filled in nicely for Smith. Is Smith okay? I hope Best will be ready soon or this will become another disappointing season for a team that started with such high hopes. Suck it in guys, pull yourselves together, play for pride and a shot at the playoffs. No more excuses.

46. By Josh on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

Lets fire Schwartz, Trade Suh, get rid of Stafford and put in Stanton. Calvin we will let you go to another team if you want.

ARE YOU PEOPLE INSANE!!!!

This is by far the best Lions team we have had in 20 years. Suh made a big mistake but people (supposed Lions fans) want him banned for life…. go root for for the rams then if you enjoy being at the bottom. Jim has done a fantastic job of changing the culture of this team and Suh is a huge part of that. The Steelers have been recognized as the dirtiest team in football for the last 5 or so years until this year and they have 2 Super Bowls. I don’t agree with what Suh did, nor do I agree with what Schwartz did but we are young and learning how to win. Lions fans are so used to losing that apparently when we don’t win in the right manner we would rather just go back to losing. You guys all wanted the Pistons to be different when they were winning championships?

47. By detroit on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

AMEN JOSH , Well said.I agree 100% with your comments. SUH made a mistake we all know that. but reading these comments makes me angry. Why would true silver and honolulu blue fans want to start trading guys off. I agree these comments must be cheese heads whom have infiltrated our lions website.How many true lions fans would have loved to have been 7-4 in week 12 in 08-09. Please people.

48. By Bob Tonkavich on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

Swartz needs to start to show some leadership and Stop Enabling Emotionally Charged Over-Re-Action. Clean up the Play, and Get Rid of the Penalties. Lose the penalties and there will be more Wins. Show some class and respect the other teams players and they will show the respect that is starting to come the way of the Lions. The way Suh has Played has not made him a better player, it has just brought the attention of the referees to watch more closely. It is time Swartz started to show that he is the leader of a Good Football Club, not just a Cheerleader, of “We Didn’t do Anything Wrong” Stop Penalizing Us, we didn’t Deserve It….

49. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 3, 2012 | Reply

Watch how huge of a turnaround Suh will have this year, I feel like he’s far too smart to keep making the same mistakes.