Ndamukong Suh suspended two games by NFL

Posted by ttwentyman on November 29, 2011 – 11:38 am

Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh did the crime and will pay with time.

The league formally suspended Suh for two-games without pay for his actions that resulted in an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and ejection from Thursday’s 27-15 loss to the Packers.

“NFL Vice President of Football Operations Merton Hanks notified Ndamukong Suh today that he has been suspended without pay for the Lions’ next two games for his unsportmanlike conduct in the Lions-Packers game on Thanksgiving Day,” read a statement released by the NFL today. “It was Suh’s fifth violation of on-field rules in the past two seasons that has resulted in league discipline. Suh may not practice or be at the team facility for any other activities during the two-game suspension. He will be reinstated on December 12. Under the CBA, the suspension may be appealed within three business days. If appealed, an expedited hearing and decision would take place this week in advance of this weekend’s games.”

Suh repeatedly pushed the head of Packers center Evan Dietrich-Smith to the turf and then kicked him after the two were tangled during a third down in the Lions’ 27-15 loss to the Packers on Thanksgiving.

The suspension will reportedly cost Suh approximately $165,000 in pay.

“We were formally informed this morning of the League’s decision to suspend Ndamukong Suh for two games,” the Lions said in a statement. “We respect the process the League undertook in order to arrive at this decision.”

This is the first on-field suspension under the new collective bargaining agreement signed in July.

According to ESPN, Suh has been encouraged by the player’s association to appeal the suspension and is expected to. He’d obviously hope the suspension would be reduced to one game in the appeal process.

That likely wouldn’t have any effect on Sunday’s game in New Orleans, though, since the league expects an expedited appeal process before this weekend’s games.

The Lions will be granted a roster exemption during Suh’s suspension.

Suh has been fined four other times in his first two NFL seasons. Last year, he was docked $7,500 for a takedown Browns quarterback Jake Delhomme, $15,000 for a hit on Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler and $5,000 for using a Jets player to gain leverage in an attempt to block a field goal. This preseason, he was fined $20,000 for a hit on Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton.

“I want to reiterate my commitment to working to become a better player, and professional—on and off the field,” Suh said in a statement released on his Facebook page on Friday. “My reaction on Thursday was unacceptable. I made a mistake, and have learned from it. I hope to direct the focus back to the task at hand — by winning.”

24 Responses to “Ndamukong Suh suspended two games by NFL”

1. By Douglas on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

2 GAMES SOUNDS FAIR TO ME…..NOT a surprise
    ….

2. By Tim Knickerbocker on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

I am a huge Lions FAN, and a believer in SUH.

Serve the suspension, get your head on straight, refresh yourself over the next two weeks. THEN, GET back to work and help this team win the last 3 games of the year. WE are going to need them.

GO LIONS – GO SUH

3. By Eddie Hiller on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

Suh just take your punishment and put it behind you. I have faith in you Suh for you to do the right things

4. By hogfish on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

The trenches are tough and brutal in the NFL. The definition of the Ndamukong Suh. Suh being thrown off balance thanks to teammate Stephan Tullach, Green Bay’s Dietrich-Smith’s bad intentions has met instantly with a masterful Suh reverse take down. Suh’s emotions and talent brings a level of play, long overdue here in Detroit. Relax and enjoy your time off. The love and pride will be here when you get back in great abundance.

5. By GMoney67 on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

Why can’t they also suspend Matthew Stafford for 2 games until his finger heals and he gets his mind right? He’s absolutely KILLING us!!!

6. By duncan on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

stop being such a hothead- really let the team down here

7. By matt on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

Well….. SUHprise SUHprise, his over the top antics finally caught up to him. I’m just hoping this suspension helps him cool off and he can come back more controlled.

8. By Andrea L. Molinari on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

Keep your head up, Mr. Suh. You still have many fans who love your talent, work ethic and determination. I, for one, am grateful that you are a Detroit Lion.

9. By Mitch Germaine on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

and leave stafford alone, he’s a beast even with a broken figure. minus that game in chicago but we tue fans forgot about that !!!!!!!! go lions

10. By wildfire07 on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

stafford is doing very well, especially since his finger is messed up’ this is our best record since forever so u have to give everyone on that team credit..

11. By C Lane on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

I love your aggressive play and I hope it rubs off on the whole team. BUT, remember, when the Pistons had the Bad Boys squad, they were aggressively winning games. Take the aggression out on sacking quarterbacks–respectfully and keep your focus on aiding in more wins and team progress. We need you here!!

12. By Mestal on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

Here is the deal Suh: you have a golden chance to show you can be a great player, one of the best… you are lucky but this time is for real, no more child behavior. Go for it.

13. By ozob on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

I’m flying your colors in Oakland week 15 big fella. LIons vs. Raiders I’m expecting more penalties and fines than my bank. Don’t stop playing your way, Keep tension on the line and don’t snap it next time. To the whistle!

14. By Al S on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

I don’t condone the kick, but the rest of it is just football. Really, a fine for pushing down Jay Cutler? The officiating is going to take the game to a place where player are going to be afraid to hit each other. Once that happens, it will bastardize a great game. Officials should not be hunting penalties, rather than just call the game. it’s a shame.

Suh, maybe you deserve the bad boy image. Maybe the lions deserve the bad boy perception. I say, GO WITH IT! Learn to win with personal fouls no matter how ridiculous and unwarranted they may be. It’s the new NFL, may as well blaze the trail. Anyone see the Saints game last night?

It’s football, remember?

15. By Dave Satterlee on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

If a man’s not worth being disciplined , he’s not worth much. Learn from this, Mr Suh, come back and be the man we all know you are and help take us to a championship !!
    Go Lions !!

16. By redwingliger on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

I feel for you Mr. Suh I realize that you have been unfairly targeted and fined excessively for nothing more than playing to the whistle, and doing your job. You play the game like a man, but unfortunately it’s in a league that is growing more, and more feminine by the year. If there is any truth to the rumors that some of your fellow teammates don’t agree with your style of play, then I say to the devil with them. They should be supporting you and helping you make better decisions, not throwing you under the bus as has been reported, although I’m hoping it’s just another media fabrication. You have my full support when you do return to the field… I don’t know how you’re going to play in this league without racking up a fine every time you tackle the quarterback or take down a running back. Unlike some of the other players that Roger Goodell ignores, that truly hurt people intentionally i.e. Julius Peppers for starters, you haven’t caused one person to miss a number of games due to your style of play. Julius Peppers has shortened Matthew Stafford’s (for starters) playing time on the field by driving his shoulders into the ground, but that is acceptable when you’re Julius Peppers, so Roger Goodell has obviously got a double standard and shows favoritism toward certain teams and certain players, while targeting a very few for hard physical play.

17. By TDT on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

I can only say this, was Suh the only player thrown out of the game???? I don’t believe so, but why hasn’t the GB players offense been publicised. Was he fined too??? Double standard for Detroit sports!

18. By Josh on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

Its all reputation now. Suh has to fight the stigma placed on him and really has to be careful to not let the other team get to him anymore. I am still glad he is on our team and can’t wait for him to get back. If Suh would have ripped a helmet off like Woodson did to CJ it would have been everywhere. Unfortunately he did something far worse so it won’t even get mentioned.

19. By lions lose again on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

he should get 2 games for the stomp and another 10 games for his ignorant catching his balance excuse ! he is trash and plays for the right team!

20. By redwingliger on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

well apparently the people of the Pride of Detroit website can’t handle the truth about Ndamukong Suh when they read it. I have now been banned from posting my comments NOT condoning the actions that got suspended, but defending him against the unfair label that’s been placed on him resulting in tarnishing his reputation. I am really getting sick of the world in which we live in today, because it is so filled with the kind of laws and rules that will only ruin civilization as we know it, (or knew it in the past). I’m out of here!

21. By Big Chris on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

LISTEN SUH! You need to relax, you’re a great player, and a great person! KEEP YOUR HEAD UP, GO LIONS

22. By T.N.E on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

DONT LET THEM TAKE AWAY YOUR LOVE FOR THE GAME SUH……I See SuperBowl with you Bro…Right Here In Detroit. Maybe Next Year! They’ll Believe. Your impact on the game was too too fast…lol. They’re not ready for Detroit to win a SuperBowl off our Defense…Its been like a bad dream. Dont Change.

23. By 3dphoto on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

I can not defend Mr. Suh for his actions in the Thanksgiving day game, howewver I will say that it is ALWAYS the retaliation guy that gets cought. As for being his fifth in the past two years SO WHAT! One of them was actually a LEGAL hit on Cutler The point I would like to make is that you can not fine one guy for kicking (in the groin) and suspend some one else for the exact same infraction unless he had be forwarned that the next infraction would lead to a suspention.

24. By ravenman82 on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

suh needs a 6 game suspend because he Will do it AGAIN!