Stafford loses the gloves

Posted by ttwentyman on November 29, 2011 – 8:28 pm

The most famous pair of gloves in Detroit are no more.

Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford ditched the throwing gloves for Tuesday’s practice.

“He didn’t have glove on?” Lions coach Jim Schwartz said with a smile when asked about it after practice. “I didn’t notice.”

Stafford has been wearing the gloves since fracturing the index finger on his throwing hand Oct. 30 against the Broncos.

He’s worn the gloves to better grip the football while wearing a splint on the finger.

Stafford was throwing the ball with zing without the gloves during the portion of practice open to the media on Tuesday. He wasn’t wearing the splint, either.

Over the last three games, Stafford has thrown seven touchdowns and nine interceptions and the Lions are 1-2 over that span.

He had 19 touchdown and four interceptions before the gloves went on Nov. 13 against the Bears.

Tags: ,

19 Responses to “Stafford loses the gloves”

1. By stevenffox on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

2. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

Twentyman, whats with the name twnetyman? Anyway, I still say bench a QB with a broken finger.

3. By Jean McLean on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

QB Stafford….if your finger is feeling good…let the gloves go. Use the sweat of your hands to grip the ball and your confidence to shine to one of the receivers. You are awesome! You ALL play as a TEAM! Wish my co worker knew what that was! So…we don’t go to the Super Bowl. This year has been awesome! I have enjoyed watching over the past years…winning or losing!

4. By matt kuz on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

Zing!!

5. By Charles Swett on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

Twentyman as in #20 as in Barry Sanders I presume?

6. By lionsrulenfl on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

HIS FINGER IS NOT BROKE AND HE MOST CERTAINLY DOESNT NEED BENCHED PERIOD.HE WILL BE FINE.SHAME ON YOU FOR SAYING TO BENCH STAFFORD! GO LIONS!!!

7. By zedrick on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

I’m with you lionsrulenfl!

8. By Josh on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

COME ON MAN!!!*

9. By MLarson0625 on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

I am soooo ready for the gloves to come off!! I was telling him during the 2nd quarter of the Bears game….but he wasn’t listening :) It’s definitely time to see the old Stafford again!!! GO LIONS!!! Can’t wait for Sunday!!! :)

10. By Colin on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

I’m guessing that 20man refers to the best player ever to wear a lions jersey….
    BRING ON THE SAINTS-we are being underestimated (10pt underdogs in vegas already) time to put this train back on track…..GO LIONS!!!!

11. By HeckYeahStafford on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

This is great news! Really brings my hopes up for a Lions victory this Sunday night. So, c’mon boys! Lets put the Thanksgiving embarrassment behind us by beating those Saints!

12. By Western Lion on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

I’ve been watching the Lions for a loooonnnggg time and Stafford healthy and Suh out forcing everyone to up their game tells me that we could see a serious upset against the Saints Sunday night. Fairley and Williams is still a formidable combo not to mention Hill. ? I have is secondary healthy?

13. By Barry on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

I still think Stafford should be benched until his finger is healed completely. Stafford’s inconsistency could prove to be detrimental to the lions.

14. By honoblu64 on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Let’s keep in mind that Stafford is only 23 yrs old with just over a season worth of experience. He needs the reps and gives us the best chance to win week in and week out. Remember how Brees struggled his first couple of seasons in SD. I think Stafford has the ability to better than him given some time to grow. BTW way too much fuss about the gloves…

15. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Yeah, let that finger heal and come back in time for the playoffs. Barry, we will get a s*** storm of reaction on this.

16. By GrPlag on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

PLAYOFFS!?!?!! YOU KIDDIN ME? PLAYOFFS? DON’T TALK ABOUT PLAYOFFS. PLAYOFFS!?!?!?!

No but in all seriousness the lions are in the playoffs right now. Chicago has a weak schedule and are a serious threat to steal our spot. Atlanta has the win on us so if they can equal us in wins, we’re out. I like our chances but i’m still VERY nervous.

17. By Brad on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

The people that say bench Stafford makes no sense to me at all. So all of a sudden Shaun Hill is some great QB. Dont you remember what he just did vs the Panthers, and he did complete over 70% of his passes against the Pack. I think he is just fine.

18. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

Hmmmm. I got used to the gloves. I thought it was a new trend and all QBs would be wearing them soon just like receivers. I miss the gloves. I think the receivers should wear mittens.

19. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 2, 2012 | Reply

That injured finger probably costed us a home playoff game :(