Brandon Pettigrew apologizes for his actions Sunday

Posted by ttwentyman on December 6, 2011 – 5:58 pm

Tight end Brandon Pettigrew briefly lost control of his emotions Sunday and it cost the Lions.

Pettigrew was flagged 15-yards for unnecessary roughness on the Lions’ last possession of the game when they were trying to make a late comeback in an eventual 31-17 loss to the Saints.

It was the third and final after-the-whistle penalty incurred by the team Sunday.

“I want to sincerely apologize to my teammates, my coaches, the Lions organization, fans and the NFL for my actions during the game on Sunday,” Pettigrew said Tuesday. “In the heat of competition, I allowed my emotions to get the best me. I know better and my unintentional mistake cost my team.”

Pettigrew took exception to the way a Saints safety Roman Harper threw his leg aside after breaking up a second-down pass and got up to let Harper know about it. Pettigrew was flagged when an official stepped between the two players and was bumped and shoved by Pettigrew.

“I’ve never acted this way before and it won’t happen again,” he said. “I am fully committed to helping the Detroit Lions win with class and in a manner that our fans will respect.”

It’s unclear at this point if Pettigrew will be disciplined by either the Lions or the NFL for his actions.

“(Brandon) Pettigrew had one that, when we’re trying to conserve time being down 14 points late in the game, he needs to get back in the huddle and get the next play going,” Lions coach Jim Schwartz said Monday.

“Obviously everything on the field is a reflection of the organization. It’s a reflection of the head coach, it’s a reflection of all the coaches and reflections of the players. That’s not a presentation we want. It’s something that puts the team in a bad position. Selfish play won’t be tolerated.”

13 Responses to “Brandon Pettigrew apologizes for his actions Sunday”

1. By Andrea L. Molinari on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

Apology accepted, Brandon! Now let’s go win some games! We need you dialed in if we are going to make the playoffs!

2. By Will on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

Funny how the Saints player who torqued his foot around and tossed his leg aside was considered “all good” by the refs. Typical.

3. By J.PALMER on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

coach has to rip into these guys and take control of his team ! we can beat these next teams we play and make the playoffs ! what went wrong i don’t know , we won our last 4 pre season games and won our first 5 regular season games !!!! but since then we are a weak 2 and 5 ! WHAT WENT WRONG ? lets get back to lions way of football that got us that 5-0 start . coaching staff must go back and see how other teams are ajusting to our style of play . we have to go atleast 3-2 or even 4-1 to make playoffs , so lets start with a whoopin on the vikings sunday ! lions win this one 33 – 20 !!!!!!!!!!  GO LIONS !

4. By Calvin Johnson on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

J. Palmer, have you looked at the schedule for the first five games and the games since?? Every game they have lost has been to a team with a winning record… Plus they lost Best.. What do u expect.

5. By J. Lockey on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

I was at the game. Too many penalties: Offensive pass interference!! Come on! Play football.

6. By ken on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

There is a lot of talent on this team that’s something we Lion’s fans haven’t seen in many years. Now if all that talent can quit making the same BONEHEAD plays that we HAVE been seeing for many years, they will go somewhere, but not until they do.

7. By Brandon on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

personally i think winning for the lions comes down tot he hunger of the defense (specifically the line) and the play from the wide receivers besides calvin johnson. As we saw against the saints when teams basically cannot cover calvin johnson and the other receivers with success. i still believe stafford should continue to work hard.. some of his decision making makes me cringe. however kevin smith and jahvid are solid, keep them please, get them healthy.

8. By john on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

It’s EXTREMELY frustrating. Like a parent of a kid who did something wrong, you don’t want to go into denial and start telling him it’s okay. But, having watched these (and earlier) games closely, I can’t help feeling that the Lions can’t get away with anything while their opponents most obstreperously do. This is not to temper the gross and stupid errors of Pettigrew, Burleson, & Young, et. al. (they are totally inexcusable), but I think Coach Schwartz has to tell all the players that, just for being Lions, they always have to appear to be within the rules (even when they’re not: that’s what successful players have always done: in any sport. The skinny:m they won’t get away with anything they do (however minor it might appear), and they can’t lose their cool when the other guys do.

9. By G. Money on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

I think that we all are just going to have to accept that the city of Detroit is “cursed”. None of the stuff that has been happening over the past 5 decades makes any sense. Statistically, speaking, the Lions should have produced more than 1 playoff team in the last decade, considering how long the team has been in the league. Look at Tampa Bay, Indy, and New England. The pendulum of winning should have swung our way a long time ago, but it hasn’t. And now, madness has infected and taken over the entire team from the head coach to multiple players. Players are experiencing inexplicable fits of rage and acting out. It’s a curse I tells ya!

10. By honoblu64 on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

Good Hustle Brandon. I can appreciate the way you accepted responsibility. I think you have the talent to be the most dominant TE in the league if you just keep your head maintain your concentration. WAY TO GO.

11. By Golferjohn on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

Way to step up to the plate Brandon. Now lets finish the season the way we started. 4-0. It begins with the Vikings and we will be up there cheering for you. Gooo Lions

12. By paul b. on Dec 7, 2011 | Reply

I agree with john here.I said it before the refs are oneside here. But No one on this team can go beloned the rule either. Not that they should. But if the other teams are aloud to Play with pushs here and alittle contact after 5 yds others should be able to too.. This is the NFL NO!! NOT flag football yet. I still think Goodell should take a good look at the refs here. Cause they sure are Flag happy with the lions here. Bottom line here is they need to be above this stuff anyway… But you must get your heads in the game and show them at the end in the score. k GO Lions.

13. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 3, 2012 | Reply

The Lions acted a plumb fool in that Saints game, this upcoming season I don’t expect to see any of that crap. Better not….