Barry Sanders on the Lions and going to a fan’s house for charity

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on December 13, 2011 – 11:00 am

Lions Hall of Fame running back Barry Sanders was a guest on “Moving the Chains” with Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan on Sirius NFL Radio to talk about the Lions’ success, going to a fan’s house for charity and plenty more.

Said Sanders on the Lions, “We’re excited. We’ve come a long ways, obviously, and had some real difficult times with so many things going wrong. Now, getting back on track, seeing the team pull out some victories (is great). Of course this is football country out here. They love the football, love the Lions and we’ve been waiting for this for a while. It’s nice to see.”

As far as what Sanders is doing for charity, he will participate in a “homegate”. Fans can bid through ebay to benefit the Gridiron Greats Assistance Fund (GGAF), a non-profit organization providing financial grants and medical assistance to retired football players in dire need.

“I’ll come to your home, I’ll bring all the food and drinks (for) the game coming up this week against the Raiders for a great cause, of course, the Gridiron Greats Fund,” said Sanders. “You can find out more about it at ebay.com/millerlite. It should be a lot of fun.”

Listen to Sanders’ full interview on Detroitlions.com!

11 Responses to “Barry Sanders on the Lions and going to a fan’s house for charity”

1. By Kenny Moses on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Thank you Barry Sanders My First Hero Besides My dad For actually Giving back to the fans and helping thoes In need. Putting yourself in a postion to be in the same room talking with a true hero means so much to Us. Thanks for being creative and open minded. If only others in the detroit area were as unselfish as you are we may have had 3 superbowls wins by now. Good deeds Never go Unoticed. God Bless

2. By KJ on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Sanders was and still is all class. I don’t know if he would want it, but the Lions should offer him a job and make him an official part of this organization again.

3. By Ryan Burdick on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Barry Sanders is the greatest running back of all time in my book. What an awesome thing he is doing for his fellow football players! Barry is a great guy !!

4. By Darrell on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Please someone get this for me!!!!!!

5. By John M. Mowrey on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Wouldn’t that be incredible ? wish I had hit the lottery

6. By Richard Heyman on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

It is great to see that Barry is back and active with the Lions. For 11 years I made every Lions home game at the stadium, and all away games on TV, just to watch Barry perform. Young players joining the NFL would be wise to follow Barry’s lead, and learn how to be a classy professional football player. No player in the history of the game had more respect, or admiration from friends and foes alike. I spoke with hundreds of Green Bay fans with their “cheese heads” who came to watch the great Brett Favre play in Detroit, but equally as much to see the Best Running Back to ever play the game! Wouldn’t it be great if the Lions could get Barry Jr. in the draft?! BARRY-BARRY-BARRY!

7. By Richard Heyman on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

I hope all of you Lions fans who vote for CJ and Suh to make the pro-bowl also put in several votes for Matt Stafford! Matt has proven to be the QB of the future for the Lions, and the answer we have waited for so many years. Sure Rodgers and Brees, but then the NEXT great QB passer will be Matt Stafford. He has a great arm, accuracy, and plays tough. He just needs some more help to get the Lions to the Super Bowl!

8. By StaticDean on Dec 14, 2011 | Reply

Good comments tonight everyone. Good to see and yes it would be nice if Barry could be a running backs coach or something with the team with a good pay check not just to help the younger guys out but to make up for the crap he went through at the end of his career with Matt in charge. That really sucked. They should of let him play for someone else. He give us everything he had for 10 years and they screwed him in the end. Even sued him to get money back from him. Took me along time to forgive that one and I wasn’t the one getting screwed. Thanks for loving the game and your fans Barry. You will always be the greatest in my book hands down!

9. By Twentykixx on Dec 14, 2011 | Reply

As a young man growing up in Detroit and then moving into the service USMC, I found that watching the majesty of Barry Sanders gave me something to tie my roots too. I know it sound cliche, but growing up in and around Detroit and having a tough upbringing, watching the Detroit Lions with Barry Sanders during these years was special. Every Sunday up and early to watch the greatness of a incomparable person and overall fantastic embodiment of a professional. Even now, we can clearly see that all the accolades for this man have been properly warrented! I don’t know if you remember me Barry, but my wife and 2 boys went to meet you at a sports gathering in Los Angeles a few years back and you took my son in your arms because mine were full, and shared a family photo. A very kind and considerate man, my baby boy didn’t even wimper. God Bless you and yours Barry Sanders!

10. By Bob M. on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

My whole life I have been a Lions fan. Spending much of my life in the military, I took every oppertunity I had to watch them play. All the razzing in Germany while drinking from my Barry Sanders coffee cup, then being outed by the Dallas cheerleaders in Korea for wearing my Special made Lions coat during their performance. I knew in my heart that they would be a contender someday. Now that I’m retired and the Detroit VA, I drive past the stadium and imagine watching them in person. Someday I will, but fighting the crowds and climbing the stairs while walking with a cane is a bit scary. So right now I’m just going to be happy watching them in the play-offs this year and hopefully superbowl (after they take out the cheese heads). Barry I’m glad your back hanging with the team. They have some great players again and with your help and this coach, we’re gonna have some good years ahead of us.

11. By Detroit Lions Junkie on May 18, 2012 | Reply

I’ll forever love Barry Sanders!