Kevin Smith looking better for Sunday

Posted by ttwentyman on December 15, 2011 – 1:34 pm

Lions running back Kevin Smith looks like he’s on pace to play in Oakland on Sunday.

Smith ran with the first-team offense during skeleton drills at practice Thursday and participated in individual drills during the portion of practice open to the media.

Smith has been dealing with a high ankle sprain since Thanksgiving and didn’t practice Wednesday. He worked out off to the side on Wednesday.

Rookie defensive tackle Nick Fairley was absent from practice after being limited Wednesday. Fairley missed last week’s game against the Vikings because of a foot injury.

Fairley said after practice Wednesday that resting the foot was going to be the best medicine going forward, though.

“We’re going to go day-by-day and how I come in in the morning and how it feels after treatment (will) depend on how many reps and snaps I take in practice,” he said.

The Lions were also without safety Louis Delmas (knee), corner Eric Wright (hamstring), linebacker Justin Durant (hamstring), corner Aaron Berry (shoulder) and defensive end Lawrence Jackson (thing bruise).

Corner Chris Houston was practicing for a second consecutive day.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “Kevin Smith looking better for Sunday”

1. By David Hilden on Dec 15, 2011 | Reply

Please dont take this wrong but from my own limited experiance i know when we played in high school and others in college when you were hurt they would have to drag you off the field . now someone stubs their toe and their off for a couple off weeks. well guys were very proud of you guys. but its crunch time so suck it up and play as if there was no tomorrow. if you dont there may not be. best of luck and stay healthy as hard as it may be at this level. GOOOOOOO LIONS

2. By Dan on Dec 15, 2011 | Reply

I can’t agree with you completely David. I get the frustration in seeing this many people injured. I was a high school and college athlete as well. I dealt with a stress fracture in my foot, and know what it’s like going through injuries. The level of play is so much more intense at the professional level than these lower levels, and the same applies for the injuries. I was barely able to participate by Senior year because of the injury, but I was running out of eligibility. Fairley is a young guy, and we have to look at his future. I still have trouble walking because I tried to come back too soon. So I would rather see him sit a few games, and wreak havoc if we make the playoffs and years to come.

3. By Jon LaBeau on Dec 15, 2011 | Reply

Be ready to go Sunday Kevin. Team needs you on the field and performing at peak level against Raiders. The playoffs are the only thing in everyone’s sight right now.

4. By StaticDean on Dec 15, 2011 | Reply

I say play hard, get a good lead and start yanking the guys out for some breaks so that they can keep there ailments down until the playoffs. I know we have a special team out there and it is a long season but if we get to the playoffs all banged up then we are going to exit the playoffs sooner because of the same nagging injuries! It seems to me Schwartz knows what hes doing though and I think if we can get some good leads these next two games the D is going to play good from here on out We can rest up a bit against Green Bay. I much rather face them in the playoffs with our best unit then at the end of the season for a season win,but maybe we will get lucky and beat them twice! That would kick but!

5. By Richard Davidson on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Looking forward to seeing the game on Sunday. Its been awhile since Ive watched a game with meaning in December. I love my Lions, win or lose though. Lets kick some butt and get a Win!

6. By Bobby13 on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

If Nick misses this week against The Greatness that isn’t The Lions will be ok. I agree with Dan. Get healthy Nick and reak havic in the future/playoffs, I hope. KJ shredding the Oakland D would be great to see especially when my Raider fans-friends will see first hand the new Bad Boys of the NFL. GO LIONS!!!

7. By Arnold on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

David you are an idiot, if they play.. and they’re injured during the playoffs when we play good teams, what would be do them? We’d get creamed, your logic means nothing.

8. By Detroit Lions Junkie on May 18, 2012 | Reply

Kevin Smith can blow up this year with some good health.