Lions expect all 53 players to be “in the mix” for Chargers

Posted by ttwentyman on December 19, 2011 – 6:50 pm

It’s Week 16 in the NFL and every team is dealing with injuries – Lions included.

But coach Jim Schwartz gave a bit of positive news on that front during his Monday press conference with the media.

“I think that we’ll probably have everybody on our 53 will be in the mix this week,” he said.

“Whether or not they’ll play or not, still way too early to tell, but I think everybody’s going to be at least into consideration – at least in the mix.”

Schwartz said that included safety Louis Delmas, who had minor knee surgery Saturday to clean up a sprain suffered against the Packers on Thanksgiving.

“I mean it’s too early to tell there, but there’s a possibility,” he said.

Corner Chris Houston started Sunday in Oakland for the first time since also spraining a knee on Thanksgiving, but was replaced by Alphonso Smith when he had a hard time coming out of breaks and defending receivers.

Schwartz gave no update on safety Chris Harris, who was evaluated for a concussion early against the Raiders Sunday and did not return.

Corner Eric Wright and linebacker Justin Durant made it through the game with hamstring injuries. Both didn’t practice for the first time last week until Friday.

“Let’s not give out any Purple Hearts or anything.,” Schwartz said of Wright and Durant. “They’re professional football players and they were able to play and they did.”

Running back Kevin Smith made it through the game on that injured ankle, too.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

22 Responses to “Lions expect all 53 players to be “in the mix” for Chargers”

1. By StaticDean on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

That was an excellent ball game. I think coach did a marvelous job changing out the players and It was good to see Kevin Smith make it through the game in one piece and still get some yardage but not over exert to the point were he did damage to the team as far as not being there next week against the chargers. The Chargers looked like a Super Bowl team with their win over Baltimore last night. Its going to be a rough match up for the Lions. I hope they put a great win behind them and keep it going at home,were they haven’t seemed to do so good this year for some reason. It used to be the only place that we could get a win and now we been beat regular there this year. Glad to see the team getting healthier now and I’m waiting for the Detroit Dfense to put the lights out on someone down the stretch! GO LIONS GO

2. By Dale Waterman on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

THIS IS THE MOST EXCITING SEASON I CAN REMEMBER SINCE BARRY SANDERS RAN AND RAN…….MY HOUSE WAS ROCKING SUNDAY AS YOU GUYS WENT DOWN THE FIELD…..IT WAS AWESOME….THANKS….I AM LEAVING FOR MINN AND MY DAUGHTERS HOUSE ON MONDAY INSTEAD OF SUNDAY SO I AM HOME FOR THE GAME….SHE UNDERSTAHDS BECAUSE HER DADS BEEN DOING THIS FOR 35 YEARS NOW AND THIS IS THE BEST ONE YET……GO LIONS…

3. By Lance McCray on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

I’m only 26, but I’ve been a die hard lions fan since I can remember. I love the way this team is playing. I agree with you dale about it being the most exciting since barry. Lets keep it up and I see a superbowl trophy in our future!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. By wayne Cross on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

i have followed this team since I was 10 yrs old in 57′,the year they won the National Championship.I didn’t even live in Michigan,but Northern indiana is close
    enough1

what an exciting year from the 1st win in Tampa Bay ( which i was at0 until now.
    Kind of reminds me of the 91′ season with Barry11

5. By Mark on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

You lions can stay in yo cage on Saturday. My Chargers are coming to rock Ford field. San Diego will win this one, but it wont be easy. We got this!!

6. By John in Oz on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

Well I’m a new recruit. Decided to follow NFL this year from Australia and chose the Lions to follow after seeing an amazing game against the Browns in 2009. Got a subscription to NFL.com and i have to say that I have been on an absolute thrill ride with you guys all season. Man you guys have been putting on an awesome show this – such exciting games. Good luck for the remaining games. You’ve won a fan for life here.

7. By Bill Mi on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

Now that was a game..i haven’t paced the floor like that in quite awhile…Go Lions

8. By jswendner on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

Lions better pull 60 min. of football out of their hat saturday if they hope to beat the chargers.. Something they have not done all season..Can’t make much of a living doin these superb come back wins, won’t work every week and won’t work this week.. Rivers will eat the lions alive if Defense doesn’t step up, O-Line protect for 60 min.Both teams need this win and Detroits got a golden opprotunity hope they wake up.. This game won’t be an “EASY” one like vikings and raiders were…LOL!!

9. By Patrick on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

The Lions are fine and will be fine, they have momentum in December. Most of this team has been around enough to know where their at, at this time of the season, and what they need to do.
    We should have some if not all of the injured guys back for Saturdays Game, So Mark and jswendner, you just set on your Couch eating Crow Pie, or watch another game.
    The Lions will come out in force, and the Fans will make it hard for the Chargers to hear any play calling in the end zone.
    The Roar has been restored.

10. By Eddie Bell on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

This season makes me wish I was in Michigan more, especially this time of the year. As a southern transplant living up their and graduating from Roosevelt as a kid, I’ve always loved the Lions, Tigers, and Red wings. I’d love to be back up their. Go Lion’s.

11. By chris on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

i can see it now, jason hanson kicks a game winning field goal in a tie game in the last seconds of the 4th quarter. then after the celebration in the locker room the team comes back out on the field to celebrate with the fans who are too happy to leave. just like the tigers did after they beat the yankees in 2006 alds. GO LIONS! bless you boys pt2

12. By Derrick Hollaway on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

I don’t understand why the lions coaching staff will not play Aaron Brown. I like Kevin Smith but you can see that with that ankle he can’t keep his feet underneath him. He falls down without anyone touching him. Maybe a heathy Kevin Smith is a better back than Aaron Brown but not an injured KS. Also I don’t think the lions should have cut him this year anyway.

13. By Chris on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

This has been the most memorable season for me, I am 28 years old and have been watching the lions as long as I can remember. This is by far the most exciting team we’ve ever had on both sides of the ball. Let’s keep this amazing season rolling well into the playoffs!!!! Roar restored

14. By Rob. S2020 on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

remember how we dominated NE in the preseason. I know it was only preseason, but that game plane was effective against a passing team with a TE as their main receiver. Lets do the same against SD. Rivers isnt running anywhere just like Brady isn’t. I think we have a great chance of winning, especially since they are coming to DA DEN!!! and as long as we dont beat ourselves. LETS GO LIONS. I live in PA and I can’t wait to see the Lions make the playoffs while Pittsburgh does not. Time to shine baby.

15. By BILLO313 on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

MARK- your crazy. we will see com saturday.
    JOHN IN OZ- you picked the right team to be a fan of brotha! wait til saturday when we lock up a playoff spot. we have a world to shock. its not over yet…

16. By Brainard on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

I am not a fan of Cunningham using the wide nine defense all the time. It works great against an offense that is in a passing situation because of the angle the defensive end takes to get to the quarterback. However on running plays it leaves too much space to run between the defensive end and tackle. It makes it very easy for the offensive tackle or tight end to seal off the defensive tackle and because of the defensive ends rush he has already run past the play creating a big running gap. Also if the linebacker can’t get to that gap because of a lead blocking back to close that hold now you got a runner in our secondary.

This has been happening all season long. Our defensive problems go deeper than just the lack of discipline.

We should not do away with the wide nine but only use it in obvious passing situations or downs.

17. By Eddie Hiller on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

This is gut check time for us we need to win this weekend and we need to bring our A game. Our O line has to run block better so we can win this game. you score points by passing and you shorten the game by runing the ball. We have good runing backs. We need to have great runing performance and it starts with the men up front the oline. Come on o line block somebody.

We need to come ready to play.

18. By Bart on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

Sorry, the Chargers are going to get spanked, Philip Rivers will have nightmares about KVB and Cliff and the rest of the gang. The Lions D line will win this one. Rivers might not make it through the game, he can’t move anymore and their line is shaky in every game I’ve seen. A good game last week means NOTHING.

19. By jerbear69 on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

First off let me say that i have always been proud too be a Detroit Lions fan but these days man I am even prouder i hope the Lions can keep this going because this TEAM has shown a lot of heart and they play with all they have GO LIONS glad to see everyone can play Saturday

20. By Steve Redmond on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Brainard about the wide defensive set. Mix it up and keep the opponents guessing sometimes like a good pitcher does. Other defensive coordinators disquise what they are doing and wreak havoc on their opponents.
    To make it to the next level starting with the chargers this week Gunther had better cover up our weaknesses and exploit the weakness of the chargers offense or it will be a long and painfull day against one of the best Quarterbacks in the NFL.

21. By aaron woods on Dec 21, 2011 | Reply

i cant agree more about the wide nine we need to run a different d sometimes, it just hurts us when the other team knows we’re gonna pick that play and then they dont even have to pass they just run it down the field. if coach is right and we have all our players healthy then honestly i dont see how any team could beat us.

22. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 3, 2012 | Reply