Cunningham says Lions owe the city a playoff celebration

Posted by ttwentyman on December 23, 2011 – 12:48 pm

Gunther Cunningham has talked on multiple occasions about his affection for the City of Detroit since becoming the Lions’ defensive coordinator in 2009.

With the Lions on the cusp of possibly clinching a playoff spot for the first time since 1999 with a win against the Chargers Saturday, Cunningham said Thursday that the Lions owe Detroit that opportunity to celebrate.

“I don’t know if I can talk about that because this city has kind of grown under my skin,” he said.

“It is just the greatest thing that could ever happen to this town. I think one of the things that really upsets me is people don’t know what it is all about here. How beautiful it is and the people are so great. They talk about Detroit like it is old New York. It is not right. We want to prove that point. They call us over aggressive and, yeah, we are. We play for a big reason. We play for this city and for the state.

“I look around and people work for a living here. When I drive in about 4 (a.m), it looks like a traffic jam. I finally figure out where they all go; they go to work. For me, personally, this is real big and real important.”

10 Responses to “Cunningham says Lions owe the city a playoff celebration”

1. By Arnold on Dec 23, 2011 | Reply

If that’s the case, they owe the whole State of Michigan.. because we’re all here too celebrate too!

2. By Nick on Dec 23, 2011 | Reply

I agree Arnold. Does Gunther really know how many Sunday afternoons in homes across Michigan have been wasted watching the Lions fall apart? I love the Lions but the have stomped on my heart soooo many time. I’m hoping they can score early and often this Saturday so the Lions nation can all celebrate once again!

3. By eric on Dec 23, 2011 | Reply

Arnold if you could read it did say “We play for this city and for the state” so im pretty sure its the whole state not just part of the state

4. By Eddie Hiller on Dec 23, 2011 | Reply

I think for us to make the playoffs we have to take it one game at a time. We can not look ahead. We have to focuse on the Chargers. Do not look ahea.

A play off spot would be great for the fans and the City of Detroit and for the state of Michigan.We have earned that after all the fustrastions that we the Lions fan have felt thru the years.

It would be a shame not to win ten games and fall short after we have come so far in a short period of time under coach Schwartz.

Coach Schwartz and his coaching staff have done great job in three years on teaching us how to win and guideing our Lions in the right direction.

Coach Shawartz and his coaching staff should get contract extensions.

5. By john on Dec 23, 2011 | Reply

mr cunningham u are so right avbout the detroit lions and the people pf detroit and michigan as well. i now live in colorado but am still and always will be a DETROIT LIONS FAN. i wanna hear the city of detroit ROAR, when thy win this saturday god bless the lions

6. By Langrus on Dec 24, 2011 | Reply

I live in the Marshall Island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Went to school in Grand Valley State Colleges now Grand Valley State University. I will always be Detroit fan. Good luck Lions.

7. By gibbyfan23 on Dec 24, 2011 | Reply

Coach Schwartz, unfortunately, you are saddled with something more than the collapse of our state by the big 3, and thats the futility of our Pro-Football team, Fans unfortunately live there psychological lives through there pro. sports teams, i.e. Lions,Tigers,Pistons,Red Wings, and yours has been the longest drought, Today, you have a chance to change a long suffering situation by beating San Diego and put our Beloved Lions in the Playoffs, you have gave us an exciting seasons so far, but like any kid in a candy store, we want it all, Coach Schwartz, play smart,play hard,play like a winner, GOD bless and good luck, bring us a winner today, Always and forever a true Detroit Lions fan.

8. By russbell on Dec 24, 2011 | Reply

even if the lions dont win today they will always be winners in my heart. from
    a TRUE lions fan. ps after losing 27 years in green bay will this be the year the
    lions go to green bay and win i think so russ

9. By Stormin Norman on Dec 24, 2011 | Reply

I live down were 94 and 96 split lots of shipjumping bears fans and norter dang fans.Been taking abuse till it hurt.Well the MICHIGAN FANS SHIPS STILL SAILING! And there taking on water.GO LIONS!

10. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 3, 2012 | Reply

I don’t know if Cunningham has talked so lovingly about every city he has coached in or not, but I love everything he says. He seems to have a genuine love for Detroit and Detroiters.