Lions officially sign RB Joique Bell; release Aaron Brown

Posted by ttwentyman on December 27, 2011 – 3:31 pm

The Lions have officially signed running back Joique Bell off the Saints’ practice squad.

The team released running back Aaron Brown to make room for Bell on the roster.

Bell will wear No. 35.

“I’m excited,” Bell told Detroitlions.com. “It’s a great time to be back in Detroit.”

Bell is from Benton Harbor and played football at Wayne State, where he won the 2009 Harlon Hill trophy as the best player in Division II.

Bell (5-11, 220) is a between-the-tackles runner with good balance. He can also play special teams.

The Lions have plenty of experience with Bell, coaching him at the Senior Bowl in 2009.

“When I first got there they used to play jokes on me because you had to earn the honor of them calling you by your real name,” Bell remembers of his Senior Bowl experience with the Lions coaching staff. “When I first got there they were having trouble with my name, so they called me ‘Wayne State’.

“Eventually, on the practice field, I started to stand out, so they started calling me by my first name.”

Bell said he had a lot of respect for Lions running backs coach Sam Gash, who was his position coach at the Senior Bowl.

“I think he’s done a lot of good things here,” Gash said of Bell back during the Senior Bowl. “He’s shown good balance, I think he has shown really, really good vision and I love his attitude. He’s a worker.”

Bell grew up a Lions fan in Benton Harbor and is excited to get into uniform for the Lions. Bell will be on the Lions’ practice field on Wednesday.

“I’m from Michigan. I grew up watching Barry Sanders and Herman Moore,” Bell said. “I’m a big fan of Detroit. I’m ready to come back home.

“I going to go out there and learn the playbook and try to do anything I can do to help this team win a Super Bowl.”

Bell played in eight games for the Eagles and Colts last year but did not record a carry.

26 Responses to “Lions officially sign RB Joique Bell; release Aaron Brown”

1. By redwingliger on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

YESSSSSSSSSI really like this move and I can’t wait to see what he can do for the Lions. As I said in my previous post (when he was still a rumor) I remember him from his days at Wayne State and I’m fairly confident that we now have a runner who will be a much bigger threat between the tackles in four short yardage situations. I am tickled pink with this signing Happy New Year Lions fans because this is like a belated Christmas gift for anyone who wants to see the Lions do well. GO LIONS!!!

2. By paul b. on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Welcome to the team ! I hope to can help us out as much as the coach’s do.

3. By redwingliger on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Opp’s My post should read; And for short yardage NOT; “in four short yardage” Sorry :-)

4. By Golferjohn on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know this player, but I’ll trust what the coaches say. They haven’t been wrong very often. Hopefully he can be worked in at Green Bay along with Kevin.

5. By hodja57 on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

where as it is nice to see a possible run game in the future, i feel it is 1 year too early. what should be looked into is the offensive line. healthy stafford = won ball games. another need is a good corner and perhaps versatile linebacker. let’s face it our pass defense is lacking. as to expecting much out of bell in 2 maybe 3 games left in the season is expecting too much. he is unfamiliar with the current offense, style an nuance of play. as a 46 year fan of the lions i am just happy to see them possibly make the first round of the playoffs. make em hungry for next year. just what a young team that is almost there needs.

6. By garynils on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Wayne State just went to their national championship. Even though they did not win that game, Joique brings championship karma. Wayne State were the road warriors on their run to the title game. Now the lions need the same. Another factoid in the Leos’ favor is the recently reported story that the teams without cheerleaders win more championships. Can’t wait to see us beat Green Bay and then clean up on the G-men. Go lions!

7. By George Stinklebaum on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

This is a great move. Hopefully he can start throwing grapefruits and riding llamas for practice.

8. By Score1 on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Its one position that can get on the field quick. Heard of him from Wayne State, hope it translates to Detroit. Praying Pittsburgh didn’t spoil the soup here, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him on the roster next year..

9. By wadsworthcarol on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

this sounds like a plan coach what ever it takes to win im all 4 that, if putting him on the roster is good then do it . we need to beat the cheese heads they need to get to aron rodgers i dont even like to print his name or say it , i really really dont like cheese heads.i sure would like to see him sacked , wish our guys could get to him , i would love that.i hate to watch them play i sure would like to have gone to a game this year , fat chance of that happening , mabyee next year if i can afford it. remember defensive coach DEFENSE WIN,S CHAMPION SHIPS. we really do need to get to the Q B tho all kidding aside. we have to be on our toes., i love this when i can make comments on here thanks a million guys, Enough Said ,

10. By the fan on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

didnt we use a high draft to get a “between the tackles” runner? so will the lions just toss this poor kid aside after the season? we need durable!

11. By nuggie from detroit east side on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

looking to see lions in dallas go lions

12. By eric on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

hopefully lions play dallas so i can go to the game. I was there when we came from behind to beat them and watch all those fans that talked trash to me all game leave early lol. LETS GO LIONS

13. By rlt62 on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

We have needed help for the run game. In order to continue in the playoffs we have to have a run game. Matt will need time to take a breath to be able to focus on the next play. We need to run the ball some in order for the opposing defense to understand that we have a threat there. If we can show that we can run the ball a little it may give our receivers the extra split second that they need to get more opened up. Go Lions, I have been waiting 50 years for this. It does not matter how far you go, we appreciate what you have given us so far!

14. By Kyle on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Its about time. he has potential

15. By Rock on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

I hope bell can dodge and run like barry sanders did back in the day. If so i believe
    we can make it to the superbowl, as long as our defense holds up and stay healthy, everything else will fall into place. good luck my lions and may the force be with you all……….

Rock; die hard fan for life.

16. By bigblakex on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

First out; let me say that, I think that Smith is doing a great job as the Lions #1 running back. with the coverage teams put on Johnson; our running backs should have a field day. I’m certain that Bell will be that insurance we need at the running back position through out the playoff. (should we have injury problems)

You all have fun (Detroit Lions) …

and BLESS YOU BOYZ !!!

17. By Dan on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

That Mayhew and Schwartz are sly ones. Signing a practice team running back from the Saints just before we might have to play them in the playoffs is pretty clever. I wonder if Bell remembers any of the offensive playbook? What do ya think?

18. By believeitlions on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

think it, will it, believe it.

19. By believeitlions on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

think it,will it, believe it, all the way!

20. By Theresa on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Would really like to see Morris play more…he gets good yardage…i’m not sure why he is under used. Also Logan plays RB well too….
    I love the aggressiveness of the last game without all the penalties…you guys looked great…keep it up

21. By zach on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Anyone else think this signing was so we can figure out how to stop the Saints offense? Love the signing regardless but makes me wonder…

22. By Mr. Marcus on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

I don’t like this move. Obviously the Lions see something in Brown to waive him then bring him. He already knows the offense and gets positive yards when given plays.

23. By stav on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

great move by the Lions, I LIVE fifteen minutes from Benton Harbor (where Bell is from) and I would love to see a local guy do great things for a playoff team like MY Lions, I believe he is here to help RESTORE THE ROAR!!! Great job team
    !

24. By Stormin Norman on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Worked in the harbor for 35 years and we were hoping bell would be drafted by the lions. Welcome home! Hang on to the ball and run like hell and we will see you next year.

25. By Kelly on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Cant expect too much from this…going into the 16th week…but really excited..Kevin Smith came out punching but unfortunately was injured quickly…maybe this well rested RB can do the same…minus the injury. Either way Detroit is finally on its way to having a professional football team…and I think next year will only get better…..welcome Mickel LeShoure… I am completely confident that the Lions are able to go all the way this year with a healthy team like we seen on Saturday…I have never seen the Lions play as well as they did this past weekend…awesome!!! GO LIONS!!!!!!!

26. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 2, 2012 | Reply

I like Bell, local kid with good speed! We’ll see this year, it seems the Lions like him too.