Small taste of playoffs isn’t enough for Backus and Raiola

Posted by ttwentyman on January 8, 2012 – 2:24 pm

Jeff Backus and Dominic Raiola have played 249 NFL games between them. Saturday was the first time either one of them had played in a playoff game.

After such a long wait to play a meaningful game in January, they were both hoping to experience a larger sample size than just one-and-done.

Being eliminated from the playoffs so quickly is a bitter pill to swallow for both of them.

“I am 34 years old,” Backus said. “It is a step, but I would rather mature during the process of making it through the playoffs instead of just making it one and done.

“I don’t think anybody expected tonight to be our last game of the season. We all had bigger goals I guess. I think everybody is extremely disappointed.”

That includes, Raiola, 33, who was drafted with Backus in 2001.

“It is hard to swallow right now,” he said. “We are in and now we are out.”

But Raiola doesn’t think this will be his last time in the playoffs.

“We will be back,” he said. “Hopefully we can do this at our place next year, but I don’t think anybody in this locker room is ready for this. It is just difficult right now.”

Not only were the Lions eliminated, but Backus said after the game that he tore the bicep in his right arm in the fourth quarter.

“Guy made an inside move and I went to go hook him with my arm and my bicep popped. It is pretty simple,” he said. “I knew right when it happened what happened. With the experience with my (pectoral), I knew what it felt like to tear a muscle and it was the exact same sensation.”

Backus missed half of training camp with a torn pectoral muscle.

It will be interesting to see if the Lions start to address the their age at left tackle and center in this year’s draft or through free agency.

Tags: ,

29 Responses to “Small taste of playoffs isn’t enough for Backus and Raiola”

1. By Jeremy Litka on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for a season to be proud of. keep your heads up guys, this team needs your leader ship. This should just make everyone even more hungry for next year.

2. By Steve B on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

How long have I been saying that we need to replace Backus and Raiola?
    Draft needs: CB, LT, C, LB

3. By Dick on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

Until the Liona improve their defense they will never be a class team. The mistakes made in the New Orleans game dropping balls that should have been intercepted,not abel to pressure the quarterback and giving him all day to complete a pass, and unable to stop the run, this sums it up. They have a lousy defense in all phases of the game.

4. By LA Lite on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

I feel were fine for atleast one more year with both of them. We have to address depth for sure on the line. Last nights game we were playing 4-3 D when they had 3 or 4 wideouts. Not fair to have linebackers cover against that. We got no pressure on Brees and that is the storyline and end of season along with Piss poor tackling against the run. They proved there better and that’s that. Try to look at this as a whole not immediate. They went to the playoffs peeps!!!!! I’m happy with this season and next year we will improve again. Quit being a pessimist and see that our future is being cemented as a true contender. Doesn’t happen over night. Bottom line is were were better than last year and seem to only go up. Love my team and see greatness unfolding along with a 12-4 or 13-3 season next year. Trust in your GM and Coaching Staff.

5. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

It was a great season with load of thrills.

6. By gibbyfan23 on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

LA LITE, is right, our future is sun blazing brite, with the Coach we got, the GM, and the core of players we have, the Detroit lions gave the rest of the NFC a glimse of whats about to hit them in the head, the NFC, needs to get ALL THERE GLORY, this year, because Detroits, here and ain’t going away anytime soon, GB,NO,ATL.NYG, are all older teams, getting ready to destruct themselves, age,free agency,Dallas is WAY OVERRATED, and the young teams are just that, 2 young, for the next 3-5 years Detroit should own the NFC, free agents and drafts are going to want to come by the groves, we have that winning attitude, with a winning team and QB, Matt Stafford is just 23, his getting ready to set this league on fire, Megatron,NEED I SAY MORE, we got this far without RB’S, wait till we have that running game, WOW, get your popcorn, this show is just getting started.

7. By mike c on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

can we please get rid of Jim Schwartz. He doesnt know how to control himself and expects his players to be under control. are defensive line needs to learn more control instead of running with their heads down. screen pass and draws killed use all year.

please pick up a HB off free agency and draft some corners and OL men. Stafford could be a 5000 passer every year with a better run game and OL.

8. By wendymaddy on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

that was a snipey thing to say in your last sentence. unnecessary, considering the fine service they have given and continue to give. of course the coaches consider all factors, but their jobs are safe for another shot at their superbowl rings. after all, without them, we wouldn’t have even gotten to the playoffs! so back off and censor yourself, buster!

9. By wendymaddy on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

heck, let’s see them go for a 15-1 or 16-0 season next year! after all, until matt stafford broke his index finger on his throwing hand, we won all four prelims, and our first five games in the season! plus the backup qb, shaun hill, gave us four victories at the back end of the last season, and two more to boot. we are in GOOD shape for next year’s superbowl contention!

10. By wendymaddy on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

the defense did a great job the first half, allowing us to end the half with a clear lead over the saints. unfortunately, the story is that the saints analyzed and figured out how to correct for our successes in the second half, and we weren’t able to answer back, resulting in our ultimate defeat. however, we learned something about the playoffs, and indeed, this is what all teams do that are successful when they are losing in the first half. routinely analyzing the first half and applying changes in the second is necessary, and maybe the lions needs somebody entirely apart from the regular coaching staff to be the eyes and ears analyziing this for them. it’s part of the action on the field!

11. By john on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

Something should be said about Kevin Smith and his magnificent and unprecedented return. He ran the ball as well as anybody I can remember in the last few years. What happens in 2012? Do we team him with Leshoure? Do we draft another runner? What happens to Best? P.S., with this all being said, our top need is on defense, not offense. I’d like us to get a powerful pass-rushing DE or LB/DE clone, something along the lines of Jevon Hearse or LT.

12. By John P on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

What a great season. I would love to see a full list of all Lions records set this season by the offense!
    Thank you Lions for a great Season and looking forward to many more!
    The Lions have some work to do this off season to address some holes in the defense and begin to think long term on the offensive line. I am confident that thy will continue to keep this team moving upward.
    Looking forward to the Draft, Free Agency and next August when they take the field again.
    Go Lions!

13. By stormin norman on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

I hope they bring Keven back to play with leshoure. He has good hands,a good blocker in pass d-fence and a lot of heart. Then we can get a corner and a big big o-lineman.And when is Ford going to realize that cheerleaders are a fun part of football heck i liked them in highschool and i like em now.

14. By AJ on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

For what its worth… I think the O-line didnt play that bad. Say what you want about Backus the last half of the year he played solid… I dont care what eveyone thinks. But we need to be able to run the ball. We need a good gaurd in the middle that can pull and be fast.
    Cant wait till next year boys… That will be our time to shine even brighter than than this year.

15. By marcus on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Get rid of that wide 9 defense how can you put so much pressure on the linebackers. We got ran over this year mostly right up the gut. We have enough talent to chase on the outside make teams go outside. We need a new defensive scheme or a different defensive coach. the draft has too be CB, LT, LB, SS. Good season though I believe!

16. By SilverCrush on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

I think the Lions have a great year and they should not hang there heads. I do feel we have a great team coming back and I also think we should hold on to Kevin Smith. With out him we would of had no running game. I have been a long time Lions fan, but there is an issue that we do need to work on and that is the O line. I hear all the stuff people say about Backus but he has been good for us at times but his time has passed and it is now time to up grade and give Matt more protection and also help are running back out. Now for defence we are in need of some D backs and maybe a LB. But all in all I think we had a great year and I am excited for next year.

17. By paul b. on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

I think these guys did a hack of a job this year. I just hope they get them some help to up grade them . They play hard for us but they have been here along time and its time to get them help . And i know it takes time to get the O-line to gel and all that but you better get it started soon. They also need more depth at DB’s or up grades their too. I am still proud of the job they all did.

18. By BILLO313 on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

im proud of our boys. next year better be an improvement. i wanna blow teams out. we have a great offense, just need to tighten up the DEFENSE!!! OLINE NEEDS HELP TOO DUE TO AGE!!!

19. By BILLO313 on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

BRING BACK TULLUCH!!!!

20. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Management and coaches have gotten us this far this fast after Matt Million. I am confident they will make the best deals they can with the players that will be available. Next year we will do better than this year and considering what the team and fans suffered through this was a GREAT season.

21. By GMoney67 on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Wow! Looks like all of the negative comments from this weekend were deleted. I still say FIRE Gunther Cunningham! I shall repeat this mantra until it happens.

22. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

I bet management is meeting right now and discussing your demand.

23. By steve on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

The lions will have a run game next year you will see the I formation with all the backs healthy. They need coners no doubt and dbs that tackle this is not two hand touch and that is what we seen all year very very poor tackleing. LT position has to be looked at to age will play a big factor different style game played now alot faster. But lets be real secondary is where the problem lays heavy we need hard nose good tackling cover corners that can play a bump and run style game. The def scheme has to change to we have to see a bit of misdirection blitzes. The d is to predictable. Delmas is the heart of the secondary but needs a lot of help with the rest of the crew. This team has the makings to be great but we will have to see what the doctor orders come free angencey and the draft. The front office is rolling now lets see what they can do and what area of the game will they attack. If they do go out and make some key trades or pick up a good free agent and get some luck in the daft we may see this team excel to and elite level. Your truely lions ture fan for life just given my two cents GO LIONS IN TO NEXT YEAR HEALTHY AND FOCUSED YOUR ALMOST THERE. THE LIONS WILL BE THE NEW KING OF THE JUNGLE IN THE NEAR FUTURE. THIS IS YOUR KINGDOM.

24. By robert brenton on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Lets try to trade hill for some defence we have stanton who just sign a new contract . He is a better qb than hill and he could bring some decent trades for there are so many teams looking for a qb . Let him go while we can still get something for him.

25. By jordan on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

keep javid leshore and smith great season could have been beter but we need corners get finegan from titans draft well lets face it vikings gutter for a while bears same story it is going to be us and the pack for many years

26. By bill on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

i think we need to have some improvements, but i think Dominic Raiola was a big reason we made the playoffs, i got mad respect for him. he wasnt afraid to grab someone and tell them to grow up and be a professional. we got alot of young guys, you need the old guys to keep an even keel.

27. By LA Lite on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

Simply put offense isn’t a priority other than line depth. Defense needs some work though. Our D-cordinator can’t be overly aggressive with the backfield we have today. His hands were tied Gmoney67 as far as what calls he could do. You try and leave one on one coverage with those guys because you want to blitz. lol YOU CAN”T!!!!! DB’s are a priority once again this offseason and the resigning of Avril and Tulloch. Drafting an offensive lineman first, DB’s in the later rounds if possible and rest depth like maybe a big physical back who can take punishment. Fire our D-cordinator if he has all the puzzle together and can’t get it done but the pieces aren’t all there yet. Patience is key to having this team stacked for ten years not a one great season and never again philosophy. I tooo am starving for a superbowl win but also don’t want the one and done type of team. Our GM and coaching staff is building for the long haul and that’s what i like.

28. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

Yeah we don’t want the one and done but considering what we had a few years ago and under Matt Millen I am thrilled to have the wild card this year. Next year if the packer are still this good I would be ok with 5th seed and then get higher in the playoffs.

29. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 2, 2012 | Reply

They are going to get a whole heaping serving this year! Super Bowl bound baby!!!!