Lions re-sign coordinators Cunningham, Linehan and Crossman

Posted by ttwentyman on January 12, 2012 – 1:44 pm

Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said today the team has re-signed all three of its coordinators to new contracts.

Gunther Cunningham (defense), Scott Linehan (offense) and Danny Crossman (special teams) will all return to the sideline next season.

Mayhew also expects to start working on an extension with head coach Jim Schwartz, who is entering the final year of his deal.

“We plan to start to work on that in the next couple weeks or so,” Mayhew said of the Schwartz deal.

He also said the team is now working on extensions with its assistant coaches.

“We hope to have all those guys back,” he said.

Tags: , , ,

75 Responses to “Lions re-sign coordinators Cunningham, Linehan and Crossman”

1. By Sagmich on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

Whatever!!! I thought Mayhew was better than this. What coordinators was he watching? Cunningham blew the New Oleans game big time and Linehan if he ever had it does not anymore. I thought they would be gone……….

2. By Adam on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

Sagmich, if you’d read the article you’d have noticed that Mayhew signed these guys “months ago” which is before the Saints game.

3. By Steven on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

At this point, keeping things consistent is probably the most important thing.

4. By Melissa on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

I cannot believe they re-signed Cunningham. Have they not been watching defense. No blitzing. The defensive players should have just been playing on their own. Cunningham doesn’t know a thing about football!

5. By Don on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

Not sure I would have brought Gunther back. Seems he’s too old and set in his ways to make adjustments. And he and Schwartz need to dump that awful wide 9 scheme. It’s terrible. Unless you’re the other team and want ready-made running lanes.

6. By groeny on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

Sagmich, can’t really agree with you on that one. Unless you win the superbowl, there is always something to gripe about but we haven’t had this good of coordinators in several years… Mayhew IS “better than this.” Staying consistent is the best thing we can do right now. I love these re-signings!

7. By Damon Wilson on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

???? Whats up with the previous comment… 3 years 0-16 to 10-6 with a playoff appearance… the team defensive secondary is young, most under 3 years… In time they well develop into a great team… I think the coaches did outstanding the last couple of years

8. By Patrick Linabury on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

Disappointing, I hoped the Lions would have at least talked to Steve Spagnolou. I think his style and approach would be an ideal fit for this team. If the administration thinks that the D was acceptable down the stretch, they may need to be re-evaluated.

9. By Dean on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

I think it is a great move. Each year the team has gotten better under these guys and I expect them to improve again next year. Those who thought the lions would win the super bowl this year were really dreaming.

10. By Curt on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

Yeah it’s Gunther’s fault for all the missed tackles, penalties, and blown coverages.

11. By Blake on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

If the lions want to make next year the year then the key is to not change the big things. Keeping the same Coaches and coordinators is a good idea, and only making subtle changes is another. In my opinion what they really need to do is examine the secondary. With our key running backs healthy next year and a few Defensive improvements I know 2013 will be the Lions year!

12. By ryan cohen on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

I think everybody wants to blame gun but think about it you can only scheme to the talent u have we need to replace players not coordinators try signing some rush linebackers

13. By TJ on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

Sagmich…Cunningham blew the game? He didn’t drop any interceptions, and he didn’t throw any. He didn’t miss tackles on 3rd and 10. Talent deficiency and saintly officiating lost us the game. Obviously New Orleans’ roster is much more developed. Our coordinators are fine, changing them out would be a sure way to take a step back.

14. By kevin on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

In today’s league, I would challenge an opponent to not pass and have patience, than to get sucked in by a play action bomb any day of the week.

15. By Mike on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

I’m really surprised they are bringing Gunther back. I was unimpressed with his game plans and inability to adjust at halftime.

16. By Jonas Turner on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

“The extensions actually occurred months ago during the regular season but were confirmed by Mayhew today.”

This was before the GB game and the NO game. I couldn’t believe how sloppy the defense was on the last two games…SO many missed tackles. Let’s hope they do a better job next season.

17. By Wagner on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

The Lion’s Defence needs to learn the fundamentals of tackling. I was actually relieved when the league’s highest all time passer (Drew Brees) dropped back to pass, because we (Lions) cannot stop the run. Wrap up!

18. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

The organization has my full support in these decisions. Trades, free agents, the drafts, etc will build up our weaknesses pointed out by my colleagues above.

19. By Michael Schmitz on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

You guys are idiots. Gunther is one of the best in the league and Scott has helped this team get where they are offensively. He has also devoloped Stafford into what he is. We need more talent in the secondary, its not Gunther. Its the talent level in the secondary. Missed oppurtunitys on defense in the NO game with Delmas back. Do your homework before running your stupid mouths or get off this blog. This is for people that know Lions football.

@daddysbackhand (twitter)

20. By Robert on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

I would wager that the Lions don’t want to change the system do to the possitive growth we have seen in such a short time. Changing systems now would set the young group we have back a ways. And don’t forget, they overachieved this year. Getting a winning season was in my opinion the first step, so to accomplish that and make the playoffs was nothing short of amazing. Look for the Lions to continue to build this team and with the return of a running game next season they are sure to make another playoff push.

21. By stormin norman on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

They were in a position to make those plays. Heck Gunther is getting a little old to go tackle for em. Its real obvious whats wrong in pass coverage and you think the offence is bad??That said,there not making bad calls either.Next year play Twisted Sisters Were NOT going to Take it Anymore! Thats the attitude the fans and players need to have. “WERE NOT GOING TO TAKE ANYMORE GO LIONS!”

22. By nate on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

@SAGMICH……..lol how did gunther blow the game dude learn football the defense dropped the ball literally 4 dropped ints, 10 missed tackles he made the right calls the players didnt execute plus the blown call on the fumble for TD.

23. By nate on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

Please kno football before cmmting

24. By nick on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

guys, 10&6 did you all just start whatching this year?I do agree special teams coach extention suprised me but, if you read again the deal was done months ago. go loins!

25. By dean on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

thanks nate!! now i dont have to rant about sagmich being…..well, i’ll just leave it at that. LOL

26. By norman stormin on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

the fastest player on the field was left uncovered at least 5 times in the Saints game..i was unimpressed with cunningham

27. By elReydeLeon on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

I don’t care if the extensions were done months ago. You cannot seriously expect to get a different outcome with the same broken system. Cunningham has got to go. He should be ashamed to even cash his paychecks because he surely didnt earn them. And special teams were atrocious. Thid is sadly disappointing. And to be perfectly honest, embarrassing.

28. By GMoney67 on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

BULLTISH!!!! I don’t care if those contracts were done months ago. You cannot seriously expect to get a different outcome using the same broken system. It is clear that the game has passed Cunningham by. What an inglorious waste of such talented defense players by keeping him on. “Wide 9″? Are you kidding me? How long did it take other teams to figure that lame scheme out, and not only exploit it, but make it a laughable concept.
    And you cannot honestly say, with a straight face that our special teams play has been anything but atrocious. I thought the culture was changing around here. If it were truly changing, those 2 guys would be gone.
    I’ve been critical of Linehan’s play calling all season, but with that O-line, running the ball consistently is simply not a realistic option, so he gets a pass.
    C’mon Mayhew and Lewand. You gotta do better than this for all of us long-suffering fans. There are plenty of talented, young, DC’s out there looking to make a move. Do the right thing. Fire Cunningham and Crossman.

29. By 3dphoto on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

I would at least hope for a new O-Line coach…

30. By Andrea L. Molinari on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

Congratulations! I think Coaches Cunningham and Linehan are great! Sure, there are things we need to improve on both sides of the ball but that is the reality of life. I feel that we are in very good hands with them. Plus, I am certain that the continuity is important for key young players like Matthew Stafford, Suh and Fairly (just to name a few).

NOW…give Coach Schwartz an extension! I mean really? Surely, the man deserves some job security. Coach Schwartz is the best Detroit Lions coach I have see in my humble 44 years. Pay the man.

31. By Eddie Hiller on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

That is a great decision by Martin Mayhew to resign all coaches including coach Schwartz. We have a great thing going on in Detroit. We need to keep things in place.

32. By STONE on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

any one who thinks linehan or cunninham shouda been fired isnt a lions fan and dosent no anything about the team itself yes detroits defense played very porly agaisnt neworleans and the last few weeks of the season but its nothing to do with the calls gunther made his defense calls i was actualy impressed with detroits number one thing is in coverage we have solid linebackers a great dline everyone fears but we are hurting in the coverage yes delmas is a gem back there but he is more of a man coverage type guy not as great in a zone situation he has to bail the defense alot of the time … with guys like aaron berry whos coverage has been terrible not to mention a overated chris houston who is lazy the cbs are where we need MAJOR adjustments in id say only keep eric wright hes solid

33. By STONE on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

and yes i do relize the cbs were banged up reasons why guys like aaron berry had to start alphonso smith guys like that had to fill in but in my opinon didnt show up at all and were lazy smith did have sum nice gimmie type ints but nothing really impressed me …. so if theres ne thing to blame its the coverage not the coaching cuz gunther and with the help of defensive minded schwartz did a good job on that….and do even give the slightest blame to linehan for anything is obserd he did a amazing job with what he was handed no rbs? best out leshoure out smith who did okay but was in and out….yea sure stafford helped with allot of that but i think linehan was great to bring back his aggresiveness i love and that he did wut he did this year with the lions offense detroits now a top 3 pass attack team and linehan and stafford were great comanding it…. u gotta keep guys like that around gotta keep the chemistry going and improve the things that we didnt do last year with the same guys around and build a force

34. By Larry Davis on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

Not making plays is the players fault. Not being in position to make a play is the coaches fault. That secondary blew coverage twice in the most critical part of the game in the fourth quarter and dropped two interceptions as well.

Accordingly, we need new Corner Backs that are smarter, larger and more physical. Then get a new secondary coach that will make sure they are in the right position to make those plays.

You simply can not give away 14 points in the fourth quarter of a playoff game and expect to win!

35. By hautman on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

I have been a Lion fan since the late 50′s and it was so great watching them this year,however, the thing that has always been the Lions downfall has been the front office, and they did it again by resigning Gunther. The wide 9 with very few blitz’s is by far the worst in the NFL. I would be willing to bet if the Lions let him go ,nobody else would sign him. So once again we have to watch other teams score 40 points. Got to feel sorry for the offense.

36. By redwingliger on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

All of you people being critical of re-signing the coaches should think about three years ago… remember that 0-16 team we were all hanging our heads low about? Who do you think was responsible for turning that around? Cunningham and Lenihan were there to coordinators who resurrected that team along with coach Schwartz and Martin Mayhew, so I think it’s more important to have the consistency than continual change here in Detroit. No matter what any of you think the Lions players on both sides of the ball love their coordinators and play hard for them. Who’s to say that any up-and-coming coordinator would be able to get as much out of these players as the current coordinators have? Granted I am not a fan of the wide nine alignment and I think that both Guenther and Jim Schwartz learned their lessons running it this year. It may work for some teams, but it is not the ideal formation for the talent we have on this team. Everyone is entitled to roll the dice every now and then… where would we be as a nation if that weren’t the case? Would you rather have Mike Martz back? Last I heard he was available after resigning from the Chicago Bears. Did any of you ever pay attention to how Cunningham and Lenihan took the time on the sidelines to work with young players during the game? Let me inform you that we need people like them to help develop the young talent on this team and I’m sure this team will be better for it in the long run. GO LIONS!!!

37. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

Gmoney67 I for one am astonished the organization does not listen to you and others that are obviously learned men and woman making their professions in the arena of professional football. I don’t know where you are employed by anyone that knows game like you must be in professional sports somewhere. And yet the management bumbles along without paying heed to your expertise. Amazing.

38. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

Redwinger, HEAR HEAR!!!

39. By CarpenterDon on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

O.K let’s get another DB coach then!

40. By GuyB1958 on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

Any one of us that had ever played football as kids, learned how to properly tackle an opponent when we were in Grade School…. that being said, why do we have so many guys on the Lions’ D that either can’t or won’t make a proper tackle? And what is even worse….. why would our coaches continue to allow this type of play? It doesn’t matter what kind of speed you have, or your vertical abilities, if you can’t make a simple tackle, then you just don’t belong in the NFL. I’m getting just a bit fed up with seeing our D-backs just bounce off of opponents.

41. By comitis4561 on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

The “wide 0″ scheme does open a running lane if the linebacker/safety doesnt fill the hole he is responsible. The main breakdowns in the wide 9 were when Spivey would miss his hole on the right side. The system works. Vanden Bosch and Avril have both benefitted from the scheme. As for blitzing, we dont have the cover corners to sustain coverage if the blitz doesnt hit home. Thats why we dont blitz much. Im SO glad to have Schwartz, Gunner, and Linehan back. The improvements on our team are astronomical and continuity will make us better. With Best, LeShoure, and Smith all healthy, Linehan will call a more balanced game. I would also like to see Detroit pick up Peyton Hillis to solve our 3rd and short running game. (he should be cheap after his rough outing this year)

42. By Ryan on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

Look at how many comebacks we came back from this year! I am happy there back.

43. By Hot Rodd on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

I am so glad to see these coaches back. It gives the defense, offense, and the players another year to mature. Starting over would be a serious hit on the progress that has been made. As we continue gaining good players and add depth to the roster the Lions are going to get even more fierce. I don’t know about you but I was proud to watch this team all year.

44. By gman on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

I think people are forgetting where we were before. we the lions have progressed well. our coaches are due there jobs were not executing properly. we have loads of talent in places, but we need help in places as well. as far as blowing the defensive side of the ball ya we did. so did offensive on the turn overs but we need to remember were we were and where we;re going great teams take time. lions fans know patients at least true fans do. so the coaches the players staying healthy and fundemental football we will push forward into the playoffs. winning becomes contagious so hopefully the lions caught the virus. go lions

45. By rebobmi on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

I can’t beleive some of these so called fans. The Lions went from 0-16 to 10-6 in three years. These fans want to gid rid of all the coaches and start over. The players were the ones who missed tackles and gave up the big plays. These coaches finaly brought the players together to be winners. I have been a Lions fan for decades and other then watching Barry Sanders run. The Lions weren’t worth watching. Now they are playing as a team and are not only winning. They are not quiting and are playing 60 minutes football. You want to get rid of the coaches and start over. Are You Nuts!

46. By GuyB1958 on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

The ONLY coach I would consider losing would be Crossman, because our Special Teams were just about useless. I am also happy with what they accomplished this year, but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t DEMAND more from the Defense. They reminded me a lot of the Chargers back in the 70′s….. score a lot of points but couldn’t stop the other teams from scoring either.

47. By Robert Esposito on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Great job this year Lions! They all deserve to be back. Continuity with new players is key. Look how bad Alex Smith was with all the changes he has had. Lions have a running game if Leshoure and Best are healthy next year. Everyone seems to forget the secondary was extremely banged up in the Packer game and Delmas and Houston got hurt in the second half of the playoff game! The lions were winning coming out of the half and down 3 at the start of the 4th. My only gripe is you have to blitz once in awhile. When the other team knows whats coming its easy to game plan! They have to mix it up on defense.

48. By OurHero on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

We have no quality depth in the secondary people. I don’t know what you expected to happen against 4 wide schemes but the coaching was not the problem against NO & GB. I don’t know what you expected from the defense but if you watched WHY we made the playoffs it was because the coaches made certain adjustments when we didn’t have the personnel and suffered injuries. I’m not even going to blame Crossman for our Special Teams mistakes yet as a result. If you think about it, we were using our Special Teams guys throughout the season at different positions and, really, ask yourself if they’ve even gelled yet. I get the impatience, (Lions Fan for 26 years) but come on ya’ll. You can draft 10 years in a row Top 20 picks (we did that over the last decade I’m pretty sure) and still not have the personnel to make the playoffs. Our coaches did a fabulous job and they will not stop.

49. By gibbyfan23 on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

rebobmi, is right,why do you think Sanders quit, poor frontoffice,NO TALENT, other than himself, we had a handful of good players then,NOW, we have A TEAMFUL of GREAT PLAYERS,allow Gunter&Scott& Crossman another year, if it doesn’t produce,NEXT,most of the teams that are in the mix,NOW, have been together for a while, again,Wayne Fontes,got us to the playoffs, we are 1 of only 4 teams TO NEVER BE IN A SUPERBOWL, i don’t think the message need to be any clearer,A SUPERBOWL, or NEXT, alot of good coaches are being fired for a decent season,but not winning season, if you can’t get us over the hump,NEXT, just that SIMPLE, you have never had the TALENT, like you have NOW, we have complained for years about the FORDS, well they open there wallets, AND…………

50. By gibbyfan23 on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

you want to see opposing DEFENSE’S eye”s light up, offer the RB’S position back to Barry Sanders, everybody talks about Brett Favre, and at 42 i would still take him, Barry Sanders still has 2-3 years left in those legs, and NOW we have a team, to put around him, never more than the present team, have we had this much talent, Barry knows it, front office Knows it, WE KNOW IT, LaMichael James, is the same kind of back,BUT, with the firepower we have on the offensive side of the Ball now, and Matt Stafford AT QB, OMG, you would have every D-coordinator in the league, loosing his mind, for ever the bust Millen was, he tried, Barry didn’t want it because of the team, WELL,NOW, we have the TEAM, Barry, you still have a little in the gas tank, use it.

51. By nighttrain1 on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Resigning Linehan was a no-brainer, look at what the guy did with the Lions offense, over 5,000 passing yards and over 40 touchdowns for Stafford and he did it with no real running game so all of the other teams were geared to stop Stafford. It was Linehan’s playcalling that set up so many plays that got receivers wide open and Stafford hit them in stride. The only bump in the road was when Stafford’s hurt his hand, when it healed the offense was very hard to stop. How can anybody think Linehan did a lousy job?? Our offense played great, the defense on the other hand needs work, namely the secondary. Next year with a running game, just imagine what Stafford and this offense is going to do

52. By Hewgdragon on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

At first i had the opinion that is spread out in the comments above, but after thinking about it, one more year will tell if these “coordinators” can pull the team together and fix the issues: Penalties, Tackling, Catching and for God’s sakes COVER THE $#%^@$^ Center of the field!!!!!!!!!!!!

53. By TRU LIONS FAN on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

ALL THREE OF THEM SHOULD’VE BEEN GONE

54. By Gary Graham on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

The Coordinators and Coaches did a great job this past season. The players still have to execute. The emphasis on tackling and reading the offense’s before and at the snap should be the focal point this off season. Perhaps a few tweaks in the running game for the short yardage situations is in order, but all in all, the Lions are headed in the right direction. Keep up the good work Mayhew.

55. By MESTAL on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

FULLY AGREE WHIT THOSE WHO THINK IS A PRETTY BAD IDEA RESIGN THEM. THEY ARE NOT GOOD COORDINATORS. BUT AS A LION FAN, I´M GETTING USE TO NO MIRACLE SEASONS -AS TEBOW SEASON ON- WHAT EVER THE REASONS WILL EVER BE. BY THE WAY, MR. CLAY FORD IS THINKING ON SELLING THE FRANCHISE… ANYWAY, THANKS FOR A GREAT SEASON, HOPE SOME DAY CAN EXPECT FOR MORE, BUT BAD DECITIONS WILL ALWAYS MESS UP. SO SAD…

56. By Mestal on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Fully agree whit those angry fans for this decition. We need better D coordinators than them, is clear enough they cant make it. As a Lion fan, I´m getting use to no miracles -as Tebow season on- for us. Guess bad decitions will keep us where we have always been, and for the reasons we have always knew. Barely reaching playoffs firts round is our goal, thanks for that, cant expect for more. By the way, Mr. Clay Ford is thinking on selling the franchise, after losing faith throu the many years on held. Bad histories have always responsables… but this has been a good year! Lets keep it on our heart. This is just a game. And I´m pretty sure we have the greatest players, but they need better coaches decitions to shine.
    See you soon!

57. By Larry Davis on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

A good solution for making Defensive Coordinator changes would be to promote Cunningham to Assistant Head Coach; out of the way. Then hire someone with newer ideas, experience and a performance history of developing a defense that ranks in the top 10 in run and pass defense.

58. By MLehtonen on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

People, people. These guys are doing a good job. Has everyone forgot how we USED to play? We have one positive season with a playoff birth and all of the sudden our coaches “didn’t get it done in the playoffs” so now we should can then?! You can’t expect 100% perfection right off the bat. If you don’t think all these coordinators are putting this team on the right track, then you are way too over-dramatic and need to think of the progress we are continuing to make. If you make dramatic changes like coordinators, it can ruin the entire fabric of the winning edge this team is accumulating. Think about it people, my goodness!

59. By Dave on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Wow. I have been a lIons fan for over 40 years and admit I would have like to see somethings happen this year that didnt but my memory is still pretty good in remembering how this team performed 3 years ago. I am proud of what they have done in 3 years and to start shaking things up so soon with so much success is not a sound decision. The damage created by Matt Millen single-handly put the Lions in such a deep hole I am shocked they are out and returning so soon. He was awful. Right now, I am proud to be a Lion fan and hope for better days to come. GREAT JOB LIONS!!!

60. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

My mind is boggled by the fans that are not satisfied with going from 0 and 16 to a playoff birth in three years!!! Short memories I guess. These coaches got us this far and with some good drafts, trades, and free agents we will continue to do better. With all the teams and talent in the league winning the SB is not and easy thing. To compete is a thrill. When we do win it all these fans will still not be satisfied. If we won every game they will complain that we did not win them with big enough margins.

61. By Kenn Morris on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Coaches and co-ordinators do just that, they do not play! Players play! We have some good players, we also have some not so good players. GB & NO have a few more better players. You can’t win consistantly without a running game and running backs need holes to get out of the back field! Just face it … we’re on track, but a couple years from a consistant contender! I’m a Canadian season ticket holder that’s been a Lion fan for over 50 years and as frustrated as the rest of you and after 50 years, I’m willing to wait a couple more! NOT HAPPY but WILLING – GO LIONS!!

62. By stormin norman on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

And Vanderbosh bit inside when the play was rolling outside a lot of tiimes he should know played better to.

63. By silver and blue idiot on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

well i do remember 0-16, it sucked, it required major housecleaning and it happened. now 3 years later we sit 10-6 and competed in just about every game. I am thrilled with that and I should be. We did not go out and spend and sigh overpriced free agents for a short term fix like the old days (anyone remember pat swilling? lol) Mayhew did it the right way and for that he has my complete and utter trust. If he thinks the coordinators are the right ones so be it. That said the brain trust needs to seriously look at the wide 9 scheme, it may have worked at some point but that is gone. We have the d-line talent and depth to be a attacking defense with the linebackers blitzing. The only shortfall I can see is the NEED for 1 shutdown corner to take half the field away. Eliminate most teams number 1 receiver and the blitzes will get home. So mayhew please get one. through the draft or free agency. The time has come to get to the next level and a shutdown corner will do it. Pay the right guy and see dividens. the new winning culture here should allow the signing of a decent free agent, unlike years past. Linehan should be UNTOUCHABLE!!!!!! he even made dante culpepper look like a star. far and away the best coordinator since tom moore here.. EVERYONE IN THE LEAGUE knew we were gonna pass and still couldn’t stop it. that speaks volumes . It isnt all stafford and johnson. THE comebacks were a result of very very good adjustments on the fly. However special teams were bad , and the talent is there to do better/ we need to make a change there for sure.GO LIONS!!!!!!

64. By Arnold on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

I agree with keeping them, firing them would just set the Lions back even more.

65. By Arnold on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

Now to resign Avril and a few other key players.. and draft a Center and Left Tackle as Raiola and Backus can’t go the rest of their life, we need to give the secondaries some time, most of them are rookies or in their 2nd or 3rd season.. and most in their first with the Lions… it takes a few years for them to develop, that by far is one of the most complicated places to play, you have to keep up with the TE’s and WR’s most of whom are taller and can jump higher and are sometimes heavier.. and you have to tackle them with out missing a stride, I’d like to see any of you try.

66. By GuyB1958 on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

@ Arnold: True, it does take a couple years for DB’s to learn coverages in the NFL, but tackling is a craft learned at a very young age for players. But then again, I never said I was in favor of having a bunch of 5′ 10″, 185 lbs DB’s out there trying to take down 6′ 5″, 230 – 240 lbs TE’s and WR’s. We need bigger, stronger, and faster DB’s, OR ones that can and will TACKLE. If the coaches need to re-teach this craft of tackling, then so be it. But I wouldn’t be content with a player that either can’t or won’t do it the right way.

Example: look at the game against the Raiders, 4th Qtr., the wideout catches the ball and Chris Houston runs into him and just bounces off the guy without even trying to tie him up, guy runs in for a TD. Are we supposed to call that acceptable? Why would any coach, for any reason, call that acceptable?

We may need to hire a few extra coaches that can actually TEACH.

67. By GuyB1958 on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

I just hope that the Lions’ Coaches and defensive players watched the games this past weekend. Those were some great defenses playing, and I hope the Lions can learn from it. I am NOT sold on the 9-Wide D we’ve been playing….. seems like it leaves too many big holes for RB’s to run thru. But if the organization makes the right moves, the Lions’ D can and should be much better next year. (hope the same is true for the Special Teams)

68. By MESTAL on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Are you people blind? Have anybody realize, yet, how the defense scheme changed in seconds half pretending to guess other teams moves? Why to do that if what you were doing was working well, but cause a wrong coaches decision? Penalties is not coaches response? Which was the only post season team Lions victory of the season? Denver, that´s all folks… With the kind of players the team has, you got to be a nut for a loosing season again, but that´s just what I thought… we have to many seasons to come to prove we are not one of the worst teams in NFL history, loosing every play off match but one.

69. By Ghost on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Loosing? Loosing? I am not sure what you are writing Mestal but we did not have a loosing, ah, I mean losing season. to go from worse to a playoff birth in three years is fantastic.

We will get better.

We will win more playoffs.

We may or may not win a SB in the near future but eventually.

70. By MESTAL on Jan 22, 2012 | Reply

Yes, eventually. But not with the same coaches, I´m pretty sure of that. Players are good enough to win a super bowl? Yes, they are good enough but need a better D coordinator, a maturest head coach and eager winning fans, tired of a no miracles franchise.

71. By MESTAL on Jan 22, 2012 | Reply

Yes, eventually, dear ghost. But not with the same coaches, I´m pretty sure of that. Are actually players good enough to win a super bowl? Yes, they are good enough, right now, but need a better D coordinator, a maturest head coach and an eager winning fans, tired of an eternal no miracles franchise.

72. By Ghost on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

We all think we know the answers but we don’t. See you next year at this time and we see.

73. By MESTAL on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Ghost, you´re right man, but we fans got to know Lions coaches, administrators and all the people surrounding very good players -like in the 90´s and now- have not know the answers too. Are Lions players better than Giants players? of course they are… but coaches, I cant find another answer. At least we should have not been swept. But I hope you to be right, but I´m out of faith. Surely, directors will try to built the perfect team, adding players to solve the holes and thinking they will set up the perfect team, I have seen it before, like the eagles, and they will blow up the team, but as I said, hope you to be right and Lions can contend next year. But every body remember 2007, the 7-2. How can a 7-2 team loos 23 for 1 victory, after that. Is almost the same to think about 10 victories after 3 years back of no victory season. Its a coin toss, maybe not a good coaches work, and of course, a matter of great players.
    What I know for sure, is that Lions need urgently, a miracle season, and I also think, that´s an answer for sure.
    Let´s wait till next year… again.

74. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 2, 2012 | Reply

Scott Linehan is so underrated by Lions fans, this guy is a genius!

75. By MESTAL on May 3, 2012 | Reply

A lot of work to do. Lions got nothing yet.
    Team needs maturest guys to rule out.
    A lot of foolish on field most change, that´s the deal.
    Just wait and see!