Mayhew: We plan to be aggressively looking to do some trades this year

Posted by ttwentyman on January 18, 2012 – 4:48 pm

Lions general manager Martin Mayhew doesn’t do a lot of interviews with the media, but he took time Wednesday to talk with the “2 Live Stews” on sports radio 790 in Atlanta.

Hosts Doug Stewart and Ryan Stewart (get the name of the show) touched on a number of subjects, including Mayhew’s hiring of coach Jim Schwartz in 2009, defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, quarterback Matthew Stafford and how Mayhew was able to transform an 0-16 team into a playoff team in three seasons.

Here are some excerpts:

On the hiring of Schwartz:

“We talked to a lot of people and I had been here for a lot of years and through several coaches so I had probably sat in on 20-plus coaching interviews,” Mayhew said. “Jim was one of the the most impressive guys that we ever met with. He had a tremendous wealth of experience as a defensive football coach starting off as a quality control guy and then becoming a linebacker coach and becoming a coordinator working with Jeff Fisher for a long time.

“Prior to that he had experience in personnel working with Bill Belichick. He had a lot of experience in the NFL but yet he was still a relatively a young guy. He had great positive energy, a wealth of experience and had been through a lot. He had been with Tennessee when they were a great team in the Super Bowl and had also been with them when they got decimated by the salary cap situation and ended up with not quite as good a record. He’s been through good years and bad years and good times and bad times.”

On Suh:

“Early on (in the season) he had a couple borderline plays and looking back on it probably not enough people talked to him in those situations,” Mayhew said. “Then when this thing happened (stomping incident on Thanksgiving), probably too many people talked to him. The guy driving the bus to the games had an opinion on what Ndamukong needed to do. I got letters from every sports psychologist and councilor in the Metro Detroit area. He had so much input it was probably too much. But Ndamukong is a very intelligent person and intelligent football player who has a really solid foundation with great family and great network of support around him and he’s come through this thing. He came back with a great attitude and played great down the stretch and we’re going to put this behind him and move forward next year.”

On Stafford:

“The state of Georgia has been very good to us with Matthew Stafford (Georgia) and Calvin Johnson (Georgia Tech),” he said. “I think Matthew has stepped up into the upper echelon and is one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL. I think he showed that down the stretch. To play Oakland and be down and have to drive 90-some yards to win it, he made those plays; to go touchdown-for-touchdown with the Packers and just run out of time in that game; then to play like he did on the road against the Saints (in) the playoff game. He’s an outstanding player. Nobody in this building ever doubted his abilities or his ability to stay healthy.”

On the 19 trades for players and draft picks in his first 31 months on the job:

“We were 0-16. I remember I was in a press conference after our first draft and one of the reporters said, ‘Man, you guys are being really aggressive,’ and I said, ‘Well, we were 0-16, we can’t stand pat,’” Mayhew said.

“We had the opportunity to upgrade ourselves. We had a corps of players from those 2000’s drafts who sort of disappeared on us. So, we had a chance to go out and get Tony Scheffler in a trade, Rob Sims in a trade, Corey Williams, Chris Houston and we kind of replaced that nucleus of players that we didn’t have.

“It wasn’t a tough decision to draft Matthew Stafford or to draft Ndamukong Suh. We really believe in using every avenue to improve whether its trades, waiver claims, free agency, the draft and we’re not just focused on one avenue to go out and try to sign players. We use everything that’s available to us and the trades sort of just happened. We haven’t done any in a while but we plan to be aggressively looking to do some trades this year.”

Tags: , , , , , , ,

11 Responses to “Mayhew: We plan to be aggressively looking to do some trades this year”

1. By James on Jan 18, 2012 | Reply

I LOVE this guy, so glad he is the GM, he is doing big things in a short time span

2. By Richard Heyman on Jan 18, 2012 | Reply

I don;t know if Mayhew has received any awards yet, but he clearly has to be the GM of the year, last year, this year, and I am betting next year. After so much time waiting for Matt Millen to get it right, I was concerned when the Ford went with Martin, but how wrong can a person be? What in the hell was Millen doing all that time, when he had such a football intellect sitting right next to him? Ego must be an awful handicap, to people in this business i.e. Mike Martz, Bill Parcels, Jerry Jones, and of course the RYAN boys! Congrats to Mr. Mayhew, who turned a perennial loser into one of the truly talented and future stars of the NFL.

3. By wendymaddy on Jan 18, 2012 | Reply

ditto, with emphasis!

4. By ashevillain on Jan 18, 2012 | Reply

Argh…I had almost forgot about Millen! Why oh why did you have to bring him up!? :p

Seriously though, Mayhew has been great. If I were him I wouldn’t focus too much on trying to make a blockbuster trade…there are plenty of high quality free agents at nearly every position this off-season.

5. By jordan on Jan 19, 2012 | Reply

I have to say we have a great fan base . wow oh wow we have a great team just a few thing we need to get better at like cb and running back and i think we can really make a run at the super bowl . and what a freak Calvin was this year !!!!

6. By R L McBride on Jan 19, 2012 | Reply

Great job Martin. I know it much more difficult to improve a good team than to fix a sorry team like you inherited. However, I trust you’ll get the task done. my hope for this year is small in number but, huge in importance. Upgrade at least one position on the OL, preferably C. Next, one upgrade at LB, then another upgrade in the secondary. Those three would please this ol’ codger fan of very close to seventy years. BTW, thanks to you and the whole organization for bringing back the glory years of the 50s I enjoyed so much. I knew that would happen the day in March 2009 I visited Bobby Layne’s grave in Lubbock Texas. I prayed for the curse to be lifted and had a little drink of the best Irish whiskey with Bobby so to speak. (I took a snort and poured a good swig on his grave) I went away that day knowing the Lions were headed for much better times. Thanks, Mr Mayhew.

7. By Wayner on Jan 19, 2012 | Reply

I don’t believe that Mayhew will make any kind of big trades just to be making one. He has shown a very intelligent approach to building a strong roster. I do think that we need to add one maybe two…good to elite players to our defense. We need a top notch linebacker and one who is a natural leader. The secondary needs major help, and of course the aging offensive line. Mayhew will make calculated choices and bring in the guys who best fit this team and upgrade talent at the same time. With the right few moves and continued building through the draft, I believe this team will be a force for many years to come. Move over Green Bay….there’s a new sheriff in town!!!!

8. By Anthony on Jan 19, 2012 | Reply

The best thing the Lions have EVER done was promote Mr. Mayhew to GM. I have always LOVED the Lions, but have not always been proud to say so. I have never been more proud to let everyone know that I am a Lions fan. I won’t be arrogant enough to tell Mr. Mayhew what they need (defensive backs), because he has done the best job anyone could have hoped for. Martin Mayhew for GM of the year, or better yet, Martin Mayhew for PRESIDENT!

9. By Lion's fan since '78 on Jan 19, 2012 | Reply

Cardiac season , exciting yes , yet reminicent of Detroit’s long time achillies heel , being the long bomb. How can receivers go unscaithed thru the secondary at this level? its either Cb play or coaching scheme , either way we have to address this if hope to get to next level..Don’t get me wrong , love the D line and Houston’s play at times. Seems to me we need to do alot more BUMPING of Wrs off the line and COVERING in secondary rather than expecting the next man if any to get yer back..Go Stafford!!!!

10. By Lion's fan since '78 on Jan 19, 2012 | Reply

Please draft cornerbacks and offensive linemen… most other positions have been effectively addressed , and my hats off to ya !!! From a big time fan who watched ever down for years , these are definitely our weaknesses… I’m sure they see them too , just hope they draft accordingly..

11. By elliot thomas on Jan 20, 2012 | Reply

i’m very proud of this team and mr. mayhiew. he’s probably the best thing that has happen to this organization in a very long time. the things he and this organization too include coach schwartz have done is incredidable…good job to everyone involved..a great year congrats ..I NOW LIVE IN LOUISIANA, BUT A DETROITER FOR LIFE !!!!!!!!!