All assistant coaches are signed for Lions

Posted by ttwentyman on January 27, 2012 – 4:45 pm

The Lions have confirmed the signing of all of their assistant coaches for the 2012 season.

Defensive backs coach Tim Walton and receivers coach Shawn Jefferson were the last to sign on the dotted line.

Walton interviewed with the Rams for their assistant defensive coordinator position last week, but ultimately decided to rejoin the Lions.

The Lions announced the signing of coordinators Gunther Cunningham (defense), Scott Linehan (offense) and Danny Crossman (special teams) earlier this month.

“I think we have a good group of coaches mixed with experience and younger guys, some former players, some guys that never played, but I like that dynamic and I like the consistency,” Lions head coach Jim Schwartz said after the season. “We were consistent from a preparation standpoint, from a game plan standpoint, from week-to-week.”

The Lions coaching staff has remained one of the most consistent since Schwartz took over in 2009.

Tags: , , , , ,

9 Responses to “All assistant coaches are signed for Lions”

1. By aaron nichols on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

good now we need some more talent, I want to see a super bowl for detroit so people can call lions profesonal

2. By Dick Brown on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

One of my major concerns was how Mayhew and Schwartz were going to mesh when it can to building the team, draft and freeagentcy etc but looks like we’re good to go.

3. By Kevin Kbakil on Jan 29, 2012 | Reply

Lose Walton. Hire Bennie Blades. Hell hire Herm Edwards to be defensive coordinator and make gunther clean up that secondary. Consistentcy is good except when you have only made the playoffs once this millenium. Change is good.

4. By william rhoads on Jan 29, 2012 | Reply

I hope the players that come in well help this defense I am not a big fan of gunther cunningham coahing! if you can stop the other team then you got to be looking at players and coaches maybe I am wrong but i hope the really improve on defense>

5. By KJ on Jan 30, 2012 | Reply

Schwartz comes from a defensive background and I will reluctantly defer to his judgment on the Gunther Cunningham decision.

6. By John on Jan 30, 2012 | Reply

The thing we need here is consistancy…. Not change… We’ve seen to much change here the last 50 years… Yeah its time to change the changing… Consistancy is going to be key for this team and city… Gunther did a good job with what he had… When Delmas and Houston was in the secondary o a consistant basis they got after people… It was when they went out that the secondary showed its true depth… Non existant… Cunningham has done an excellent job with what he has to work with…

7. By nighttrain1 on Jan 31, 2012 | Reply

I can find nothing wrong with the Lions keeping their entire coaching staff. Look where the Lions are now compared with just a few short years ago. 0 and 16, that was a coaching staff that picked the guys they thought were good, the only problem was, they were good 10 years ago. Old players that can only remember what to do but can no longer do it. The Lions are on the verge of doing something great. Mathew, Schwartz, the entire coaching staff, if it ain’t broke,don’t fix it.

8. By H.D.F. on Jan 31, 2012 | Reply

This staff has given Detoit a legitimate team and should be allowed or emplored to stay the course and win it all in the next few years. We have shown nothing but improvement and I expect it to only get better. Keeping the same system and personnel is how you build a great team.

9. By Detroit Lions Junkie on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I’m glad to have Shawn Jefferson back, not so much about Tim Walton because the secondary fell apart. But I do like the continuity that the Lions have kept. That is a huge part of stability in the organization. I hope Schwartz gets resigned soon!